LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Addicted to both of his books

Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum and as I had no clue how to start on this forum I decided to post a new thread. I hope that's alright?
Well, obviously I've been (and still am) a very big fan of Dirk Benedict both as an actor but also as an author.

I was a huge fan of his acting first as a young girl, but only found out a couple of years ago that he had also written two books. I had my husband buy both of them when he was in the US and I've read them from cover to cover several times already. I've even convinced some of my friends to read his work.

I just absolutely love his writing style !!! Once I start reading, I cannot stop at all. It's addictive. Both of his books are equally interesting. I don't have a favorite one, although they're quite different. I especially like the fact that as a reader you're almost forced to think about stuff while reading. I really like that!

Maybe I liked his work so much because we seem to have similar thoughts about life and health in general. I'm a strong believer in the principles of yin and yang and I'm very eager to learn about macrobiotics.

I'd love to get to know others on this forum with the same passion about this great actor/author. I've never met him in real life (yet) ... What I wouldn't give to just talk to him about writing, acting and other stuff like that.
That must be amazing !!!

As a very young teenager I was just mesmerized by his looks The first poster I've ever had was one of him as 'Face' and he got a good night kiss every night But growing up, I've realized there is more to him than his great looks. I respect him a lot as an actor, an author and a person.

I guess I'll stop rambling for now ... But I'd love to meet some other big fans on this forum. Looking forward to it already
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: Addicted to both of his books

Welcome to our little corner of the world, LittleMonkeyDog!

And you did exactly right by starting a new thread to introduce yourself (it's something we encourage, in fact) - and about a subject I also enjoy talking about. Dirk's books - particularly Confessions - have made a profound difference in my life and I hope he eventually writes more.

I still consider myself something of a neophyte when it comes to Macrobiotics, with a lot to learn yet, so I enjoy talking to others about it.

I'm going to guess you live across one of the Big Waters from me; if you don't mind me asking, what country?

Anyway, feel free to jump in on any of the other conversations around here - some of them could do with a jump-start.

Again, Welcome!

John

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Hello, LMD (little monkey dog)

I am new too and found the website thanks to the books. I too love Mr. Benedict's writing style and immensely enjoyed both books. Through his first book I learned about macrobiotics and have lost 17.2 lbs so far. I'll be going on the cruise in November and I can't wait to meet him. I've truly admired him since I was 10 years old; since 1978. Wow, a long time. I look forward to seeing you post.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog

Hi, John. Thanks for the warm welcome I'm glad to be a part of this little corner of the world.

I also enjoy talking about Dirk's books and Confessions has influenced my life a lot too. I've always been interested in health food and a healthy lifestyle and I've tried to eat as healthy as possible all my life. We ate lots of vegetables from our own garden and I never ate a lot of meat. As a kid I had what our doctor called a 'sensitive stomach'. Some types of food I just can't eat. So I've learned to listen to my body while growing up.

As I read Confessions I started to become very interested in macrobiotics. I'm a curious person by nature (like Dirk - maybe because we're both born in the same month ), so I've been kind of experimenting with it and reading up on it. I'm by now a huge fan of brown rice, kale, miso and bancha tea. Couldn't live without them! By eating healthy you gain so much energy. I also don't believe in drugs (medication), but I do believe that what nature offers us can cure a lot of things.
I also love to talk about macrobiotics with other people. I would love to read another of Dirk's books. Wasn't he planning a writing/publishing a third one? I so hope he does.

And you're right (must be my English that gave me away). I'm not a citizen of the US, although I'm a huge US fan. I've been to your country several times already and I absolutely love it. It is so very different from my very own little Belgium. Actually, I live quite near to Lier a town where Roland Benedict once tried out for one of our football (soccer) teams called Lierse a couple of years ago.

Thanks once again and I will certainly jump in on some of the conversations.

Hope you'll have a nice day,
LittleMonkeyDog
Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
LittleMonkeyDog

Hi Michele Ann,

Welcome to you too! It's nice to get to know new members like yourself.
I've also become a fan of macrobiotics after reading Confessions. I've gained lots of extra energy and lost some weight too.

So you're going on a cruise with him? That's fantastic! I'd love to meet him too and not because he is a celebrity. After reading his work, I think he's a very interesting person to talk too about macrobiotics and life in general. So yeah ... it must be amazing to be able to meet him.

I was about the same age when I watched the A-team (although I'm a few years older than you are) and I guess I was about 7 when I've watched BSG. I've been a huge fan ever since. Me and my friends used to pretend to be the A-team while playing on the playground at school. We had tons of fun. Such nice memories to this day.

I also look forward to your posts.
Hope you have a very nice day,
LittleMonkeyDog
Old 07-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
ojai22

LittleMonkeyDog and Michele Ann -

A strange thing about the first book -- you read and understand, then you learn and grow. Later you go back and read again and find you understand on a deeper level. As your new way of eating changes your body, you begin to see with greater clarity and become more reflective. "Oh, that's what he meant!" Go with him on the journey within and he'll help you fly higher. It begins with your food. Check out this short post:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...96&postcount=6

And another:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...02&postcount=6

As I re-read these, while I'm also re-reading KC again, I'm struck by how much I've learned that was written in this book, which I read but had to learn for myself. There's so much more in the book than what first appears to our understanding….

From Chapter 16:
"I promised myself when I started writing this Kamikaze Cowboy manifesto that I wouldn't give away any secrets, that any interested reader wold have to discover for him- or herself the way to health and happiness. If I hand it to you here in these pages, you will miss the whole point that it must be discovered by you if it is to be of any value to you."

….he was ahead of us all the way.

Last edited by ojai22; 07-22-2016 at 04:51 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
Ro83

Hi, LittleMonkeyDog. I'm Mar*a from Córdoba (Spain) and until 2013 Dirk was only Face to me. I didn't know anything else about him, which is weird because The A-Team has always been my favorite show by far. I found this forum after talking with some friends about shows from the 80s and getting curious (finally) about what Dirk, Dwight and Mr. T were doing at the time. And, well, after reading and watching interviews of all of them I found Dirk to be extremely interesting, someone different. Then I read the books and I had to stay here. Confessions is my favorite one; raw and brave. I'm all here for people who believe in self reliance and put it into practice. Dirk is a mystery to me and I like that, though there are some things I'd like to ask him.

I'm glad you're here. Have fun.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog

Hi Maria. So nice to hear from you
I have to agree with you I think he is a very interesting, very intelligent person and somewhat different (aren't all creative people a bit different?). I admire him. They way he dares to speak his mind no matter what and how he dares to open up to the world in his books. That is a very brave thing to do.
I can't seem to pick a favorite book. I like them both so very much. I strongly believe in self reliance myself too
I can totally get that he didn't want to be a 'celebrity' but just wanted to act. I don't think it's easy to live your life in the spotlight all the time ...
So I respect that! But I think it would be really nice to just sit down with him and talk about all kinds of stuff (one can dream right?).

Thanks so much for welcoming me. I'm glad to be here. Have a nice day
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Hi ladies,

I know what you mean about reading the books and having questions. I have so many questions and I feel like the answer to most of them is, "none of my business". LOL. I want to ask so many things about his feelings on certain events etc that I think they might be
Too personal. I'm a very private person myself so I can respect someone else's boundaries and yet he is just so fascinating. I do hope I get a chance to speak to him come the fall.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
ojai22

There's another book that he started on his old website, but when this site became his official site, that one was relegated to the internet archives. I dug it out and brought it all to this site, but I think I made a mistake with the title. The book is entitled Kamikaze Cowboy 2, but when I posted it I just used KC2 as the topic. I think it was a big mistake as it isn't readily apparent what it is. Here is the link to it:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...ead.php?t=1202

It's a good read.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Flygirl
Erin

Wow!!! Thanks for posting this.

Dirk is an AMAZING writer. Really hope he finishes this someday.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
LittleMonkeyDog

Thank you so much for posting this. I've read and re-read it already like I do with all of his books. Once you start reading, you cannot stop. And by re-reading you always seem to find out something new.
He is an awesome writer to me and a big example too (as a writer, but also as an individual). I love the brutal honesty of his writing style.
I do hope he finishes this book one day too
Old 08-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Flygirl
Erin

LMD - Me too! I must have read the first KC about 20 times. I just read this morsel for the second time, too. Love him!!!

You know, it's really too bad Dirk doesn't visit the interwebz more often. Would love to see a blog on here, even once every couple of months. Lost in Castration was awesome. I even forced my husband to read it.

All those in favor of a regular Dirk blog? Can we start a petition??

- Erin
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #14
LittleMonkeyDog

Flyngirl5 - Oh yes, that would be awesome indeed !!! I'm in favor Would sign that petition for sure.

I also loved Lost in Castration. Haven't forced mine to read it, but talked to him about it

LittleMonkeyDog
Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
ojai22

Have you listened to any of the panels that were taped at conventions? He's great fun to listen to. Here is the link to a panel that took place in December of last year:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...94&postcount=5

You'll want to listen more than once.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Have you listened to any of the panels that were taped at conventions? He's great fun to listen to. Here is the link to a panel that took place in December of last year:

You'll want to listen more than once.

Wow, the sound and picture go askew early on, but this link seems to be okay:

Great fun!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
Flygirl
Erin

I was there!!! (At the Phoenix event) I got to meet Dirk and he signed my book. I was kind of bummed because the only recent panel I could find on YouTube is the one I actually paid to go see. Lol Otherwise, however, it was a pretty awesome experience. It was my first convention.

I was hoping someone might post from the Texas convention that just happened last weekend! I think he spoke at an A-Team panel with Dwight.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #18
ojai22

Unhappy Re: Addicted to both of his books

Oh yes, I remember talking to you about it. If you haven't seen Ruckus, it's at YouTube, too. There's a link somewhere on the site here but it's whereabouts escapes me at the moment. Just enter Ruckus and it will come up. Good little movie. There's also the Galactica 1980 episode with Dirk.

There are tons of links to interviews and videos though some of them are so old they don't work anymore. I've gone through some of them and added new links, but this place needs more than that...like a major overhaul!
Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #19
LittleMonkeyDog

Yes, I have and I agree with you ojai22. I like listening to him
OMG flyngirl5, you were actually there and got to meet him !!! Awesome. I'm so jealous right now I'd love to see people post stuff about that Texas panel with Dwight. Those two together are hilarious.
Ojai22: thanks for the tip about Ruckus. Haven't seen that one myself. I'll check it out. I saw the Galactica 1980 one before. And I know 'Mark of the devil' is on YouTube too, because I just saw it last week.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
ojai22

Here's a link to Body Slam. Warning: he makes a very pretty woman....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCe9...OIZ3eaSMfME6wD

This is actually a mix, and Body Slam is in parts. I think. Actually, I'll have to look more closely later. I have it on DVD, you can buy it at moviesunlimited.com.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-04-2016 at 12:36 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
LittleMonkeyDog

Just watched the trailer. Thanks again Had tons of fun watching this. LOL He does make a pretty woman
Old 08-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #22
Flygirl
Erin

Ha ha! I have seen Body Slam a couple of times. It cracks me up. And I remember all the wrestler guys from WWF too. That womanizing, mischievous but loveable character is by far my favorite. Is it weird that I still find Dirk attractive as a woman? :/

Ojai, you are awesome. <3 I just watched Ruckus. (It's a really good story if you can get past all the cheesy music. It's an unusually dark role for Dirk, and he plays it very well.)

Have you seen Alaska? I just love his character in that. He plays a father whose wife has passed and he's raising the kids on his own in the wilderness of Alaska. Lots of parallels to Dirk's own family life... Also he's a single-engine pilot, and I am too, so I like that.

There are still a few I've heard about and can't find (but I'm dying to see them!):
Georgia, Georgia with Diana Sands (written by Maya Angelou!! I love her)
Trenchcoat in Paradise (I know nothing about this but I like the name)
Goldene Zeiten
Blue Tornado

Georgia, Georgia is currently for sale on DVD from Amazon, but they want $50 for it. Never paid $50 for a DVD, but I'm seriously considering this one!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #23
LittleMonkeyDog

I really should try and see Body Slam. I like the trailer a lot And I'd love to see Ruckus too. I've seen Alaska and I really like that one. I loved him as the single father raising his kids. You're a pilot? That's amazing !!!! It must be great to be able to fly ... I used to be so very afraid of flying and now I absolutely love to fly.

I haven't seen Georgia Georgia either nor Trenchcoat in Paradise or Goldene Zeiten. I do have Blue Tornado on DVD. I like that one a lot. He is again a pilot in that one. Very strong role !!! You really should check that one out. I bought the DVD on e-bay a while ago. Would love to have Alaska on DVD but can't find it.
Mark of the Devil is also a very nice one. I have seen Abduction of Innocence when I was younger, but can't remember that much of it (all I do remember is that Dirk played the girl's father). I've also seen pictures of November Conspiracy and would love to see that one. Has anyone seen it?
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #24
ojai22

Here's the link to Ruckus at YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORac3ctAcAw

This is the movie, not the trailer.

I have Alaska on VHS, but my VCR is broken! I have Ruckus on both, and discovered that a few snippets are missing from the DVD. I bought it from a place that apparently made a copy and didn't have room for the movie twice, or didn't know how to do it. The second movie is with commentary with Dirk, Linda, and the director, Max Kleven. Movies Unlimited told me they would love to have that movie but can't get the rights to it. They said watch who you buy it from, but I had already bought it and was asking about the missing parts. Just little parts.

I had Blue Tornado but it got caught in my VCR when it broke. I saw November Conspiracy online somewhere. He wasn't in it a looong time, and he died. The Innocence movie I also saw online.

I think the devil movie is the one with all the tattoos. I've seen parts of it online. I don't think I have Ssssss but I have seen it.

And Scavenger, I have seen, but can't remember if I have it. It would be VHS and I haven't looked at those for awhile.

Geez. all these three-letter caps are making me CRAZY!

I just remembered Earthstorm. I watched it but don't remember where. Perhaps I have it somewhere. I don't enjoy the other male actor in it so haven't watched it so much as, say, Ruckus.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-05-2016 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #25
ojai22

Wow, I just checked some of my old VHS's and I have Shadow Force and Official Denial. I must get my VCR repaired.

Check out this page:

https://www.alibris.com/moviesearch?k...s.x=21&hs.y=27

And scroll down.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-05-2016 at 07:14 PM..