LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Battlestar Galactica Classic

Battlestar Galactica Classic For discussions about the classic Battlestar series which starred Dirk as the one and only "Starbuck". NO Ron Moore show posts here please.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Crazy Tommy T

Default What's your favourite BSG episode?

I'm sure this thread's been done before, but it never gets old. Let's say you can choose two.

Mine are (excluding SoaSW, as that always would win)

The Living Legend
and
The Long Patrol.
Crazy Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
ani
crazy Texan

I really like War of the Gods Part I and II
It has my all tiem favorite scene, where Apollo and Boxey have that heart to heart talk, then Boxey goes off and Adama comes in and he and Apollo have a heart to heart, it' just so perfect IMHO.

Saga of a Star World all together would be my second choice, but excluding those

Murder on the Rising Star. I liked the relationships shown between Starbuck and his friends and Cassie, and I think it developed those nicely.
There were maybe better plots, but I think this was one of the stand out character pieces.

Weekly BSG Comic // My Battlestar Galactica Fanpage
ani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Crazy Tommy T

I like a lot of the episodes, so it's really hard to choose of course. I watched the whole series again last year from start to finish and enjoyed every episode.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
ani
crazy Texan

I hate to admit this but . . I've never been able to watch all of the two parter Greetings From Earth (I think that's the one, with the androids?)

It drives my crazy.

I totally forgot Hand of God though. I love that, re-watched it recently, and you know, as bittersweet as it is, I think it ends the series well enough. It has that open ended short story feel to it. Like a lovecraft story, but ending with the idea that there is hope rathe rathan you know horror is coming *L*

I love that last scene to pieces. Ia ctually think it's a better ending for the series than Millennium had for it's ending, and Millennium knew it was cancelled (and that's big coming from me because after B5 MM is my favoritest series EVER!)

there's just a great feel to the end of Hand of God.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Crazy Tommy T

Now you menton it, Greetings From Earth was a bit of a clock watcher.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Thanks for posting this thread.
Where do I start? I've got many favourite episodes.
Amongst my favourites are Saga of a Starworld followed by The Living Legend.
I loved the character of Commander Cain and his relationship with Cassie.
Can I pick more than two?
I also really like The Long Patrol. The scene where Starbuck is juggling both Athena and Cassie is hilarious. Also, when Athena and Cassie realize what Starbuck's been up to. That's priceless.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
asmay

I had a long thought about which two episodes would be my all time favourites, but here they are:

'The long patrol' and 'The man with nine lives'.

Especially, the 'chemistry' between Dirk and Fred Astaire in this last mentioned episode is still great to watch!

BLISS is a constant state of mind, undisturbed by gain or loss. (Anonymus)
LOVE is an illness, without which one does not feel well. (Marguerite Grépon)
FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real (John Armitage)
asmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
I hate to admit this but . . I've never been able to watch all of the two parter Greetings From Earth (I think that's the one, with the androids?)
I love those androids
My favourites are The Man With Nine Lives - like asmay said, I love the chemistry between Dirk and Fred Astaire. And I like The Long Patrol.
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
I love those androids
My favourites are The Man With Nine Lives - like asmay said, I love the chemistry between Dirk and Fred Astaire. And I like The Long Patrol.
I liked Greetings from Earth too. Those androids were fun to watch.
I also like War of the Gods and the Man with Nine Lives.
May I suggest that we list our favourite episodes?
I don't think we can limit it to just two. Good idea?

Last edited by bibbi; 04-17-2008 at 08:10 AM..
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
ani
crazy Texan

ok, I gotta ask, what makes Long Patrol a top fave? I see it's a good little episode, and Starbuck is adorable in the purple outfit, but I'm interested in why it makes people's top two shows?

Not argumentative at all here if you could see my expression I'm just honestly interested and curious

(I know it's not in mine because Hi I have a huge bias toward Apollo and also it's timing, as much as a like it I can't remove it from the context of oh geez again with the random people on a random planet and Starbuck or Apollo are lost AGAIN? Do Starbuck and Apollo flip for this? It was this show that my roommaae made the joke about her suspecting Adama of intentionally trying to loose Starbuck and Apollo )

Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #11
Sarika
Siress/Warrior

Just two eps?

Okay...Saga of a Starworld and The Hand of God....but I love them all...
Isn't that ironic...I chose the first and last of the originals, that is...

"There are those who believe that life here, began out there"..

Lotus Sunrise Designs
*Artist/Designer*

HSH Princess Sarika
*Her Serene Highness' Myspace*

The New Battlestar Galactica Club
*Fleet Commander Co-Admin*
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
asmay

[quote=ani;13567]ok, I gotta ask, what makes Long Patrol a top fave? I see it's a good little episode, and Starbuck is adorable in the purple outfit, but I'm interested in why it makes people's top two shows?

I guess I liked the humour in those episodes the most. As I recall 'The long patrol' is the one in which Starbuck loses his super new viper. Please, a fully skilled veteran warrior who loses his top-of-the-bill prototype plane on the first flight out, that is just hilarious! Dirk pulled it off beautifully, though, without making Starbuck look like an idiot.

And for me it's the same with the other episode with Fred Astaire: just good fun to watch. (Perhaps I tend to favour the less serious episodes, but I just like a good laugh.)

By the way, the suggestion of Adama going out of his way to lose Apollo or Starbuck! Love the idea! It does put the whole show in a very different perspective, but I think that's really funny.

BLISS is a constant state of mind, undisturbed by gain or loss. (Anonymus)
LOVE is an illness, without which one does not feel well. (Marguerite Grépon)
FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real (John Armitage)
asmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I think the Long Patrol makes the top faves since it has a lot of humour in it and Starbuck is juggling both Athena and Cassiopeia (the little devil)
I also like Take the Celestra.
I think we can say more than just two episodes that are our favourites.

Last edited by bibbi; 04-24-2008 at 08:37 AM..
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #14
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: What's your favourite BSG episode?

Gonna resurrect this thread. I'd like to hear everyone's answers, and now I'll give you mine. Stay tuned.

This is a hard question because I enjoy different episodes at different times, and each episode is valuable for multiple reasons, mostly under character development and worldbuilding. But I'll try to answer from a big-picture view.

Top fave is The Hand of God, because it was one of the first episodes I ever saw (first or second), and Starbuck and Apollo infiltrating the basestar is one of my favorite parts of the whole show.

Second fave is War of the Gods, which I just finished re-watching. The plot is well written and the character dynamics are well acted. Count Iblis is an intimidating antagonist, the Beings of Light are intriguing, and the whole thing opens up a realm of possibilities. I enjoy how Glen Larson incorporated a lot of biblical elements into the plot. Even the way Count Iblis speaks sounds like a twisted imitation of the words of Christ in the Gospels, supporting Iblis's role as a "false Messiah" and deceiver.

Although it seems like two favorites is the precedent, I'm adding a bonus, which is okay because it's not technically part of TOS: The Return of Starbuck. That's also probably obvious, because most people who are fans of Starbuck enjoyed his return. LOL. My favorite part of that episode is the interchange between Starbuck and Cy right after Cy reactivates. Great dynamics, and it's an unexpected and natural exchange that disrupts or improves on the cliche captive-enemy-meets-captor scene. Is that a thing? Do I know what I'm talking about? You tell me.

So, what are your favorite episodes? We might have done this before, but if so, it can't hurt to do it again. Really, it can't. You might feel like somebody is poking you with a toothpick, but it's not because we're reopening this topic. That is physically impossible. You can probably Google it.

John, can we have a sleeping emoji? I need to emote what's happening when I write an unplanned, disjointed post after midnight and slowly lose consciousness as I type... Zzzzzzz
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Gonna resurrect this thread. I'd like to hear everyone's answers, and now I'll give you mine. Stay tuned.

This is a hard question because I enjoy different episodes at different times, and each episode is valuable for multiple reasons, mostly under character development and worldbuilding. But I'll try to answer from a big-picture view.
I really like this idea of yours

And yes it's also a very hard question for me as well, because I enjoyed the entire show.
But these are some episodes I really liked:
- The young lords: What I like most about this episode is Starbuck's leadership abilities. He teams up with the kids to free their dad. I also enjoyed the 'tension' between Lucifer and the other Lead Droid on the planet.

- The man with nine lives: What I like most about this episode is the chemisty between Dirk and Fred Astaire. Fantastic !!!! You just got to love Starbuck's enthusiasm and mischief.

- Murder on the rising star: I truly enjoyed the friendship displayed in this episode between Starbuck, Boomer and Apollo. They try and do everything to prove his innocence with Apollo even risking his life for his friend. I also really loved the scene in the brig between Starbuck and Cassie ... (what can I say ... I loved the romance between the two of them)

And I also agree with you. I really like The return of Starbuck and especially the interaction between Starbuck and Cy.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
Flygirl
Erin

Good thread -- it would be easier to mention my least favorite, because I love them all immensely.

My least favorite episode is "The Lost Warrior", because there simply is not enough Dirk. However, I do LOVE the scene from that episode in which Boxey is playing pyramid with the warriors and takes all of Starbuck's jellybeans. And Cassie scolds Starbuck for smoking a cigar.

My favorites would probably be Murder on the Rising Star and War of the Gods... but again, I love them all for various reasons...
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
Vballspieler
Dirkette

As I have just finished watching all of them again, I find it very hard to choose.

Murder on the Rising Sun is one of my all-time favorites.

Return of Starbuck from Galactica 80 is another one of my favorites. I consider it as an extension of the classic BSG and it is the only episode outside of the original 1978 episodes that I will watch.

At the end of the discs, I find myself wishing that there was another season....more episodes to watch...and more episodes to love.

"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #18
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I agree with you, VBS. I wish there would have been another season and more episodes. Glad to have them all on DVD now including the ROS one from Galactica 80. It is in fact the only episode on that DVD I watch.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #19
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Murder on the Rising Star seems to be a popular choice. And I can see why. A lot of great interactions in that one.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post

- The man with nine lives: What I like most about this episode is the chemisty between Dirk and Fred Astaire. Fantastic !!!! You just got to love Starbuck's enthusiasm and mischief.
This one's on here tonight, on MeTV. LMD, this is one of my favorites, too... I think I'll pop some popcorn and watch it again. I think I like it more after hearing Dirk talk about his actual affection for Fred Astaire.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #21
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Murder on the Rising Star seems to be a popular choice. And I can see why. A lot of great interactions in that one.
I like the dramatic scenes in this one. It really demonstrates the closeness of the bond between Starbuck and Apollo.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #22
galactica_love
Dirk fan!

This is a difficult question!

For me, to choose two episodes of the show that means the world to me...hmm let me see if this can even be done! lol

The Man With Nine Lives is definitely one, because not only is the plot the most touching thing, but you have the great Fred Astaire! I grew up watching all of his movies, so definitely have to say that one.

Second favorite... hmm...The Young Lords because Starbuck is such a hero in that one. And also because I really loved the settings, outdoors and a castle like place. I like medieval things.

Can I put a bonus for Galactica 1980 the Return Of Starbuck? Because I literally watch that over and over I love it so much.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:50 AM   #23
Cassiebsg

Uhm... hard question, it would be easier to mention my lest favorites and why...

But I guess, like many here, it would be The Man With Nine Lives cause I just love Fred and Dirk interactions and it's a great story (with almost unpredictable ending)... followed that I would have love "Die Chameleon" to have become an episode... but since it stayed as novel only I'll probably go with The Long Patrol cause that's when I realized that Cassiopeia was perfect for Starbuck and Him with Athena would never work. Plus it's also a good story... And a few years later we got KITT... the mix of a Car+CORA+Centurion Eye!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
KeiraH83

i havent really watched battlestar i need to find it online and watch the whole season.
KeiraH83 is offline   Reply With Quote