LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
ojai22

Default LINK for LOST

Did you read this one? it's on the front of the site and sometimes gets overlooked.

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/h...icle.php?nid=5
Old 02-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: LINK for LOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Did you read this one? it's on the front of the site and sometimes gets overlooked.

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/h...icle.php?nid=5
I read this for the first time a few years ago, during my senior year of high school when I had no time to call my own during the day, so during the night I would stubbornly stay up way too late writing BSG fanfic and/or surfing the Internet to do "research" (if I'd spent as much time writing as I did not writing, I could have probably written three novels). Along with learning an exorbitant amount of technical information about traumatic brain injuries, how plasma would behave in space and whether it could be effectively weaponized, and all of the BSG units of measurement (for a while I would catch myself mentally correcting "week" to "secton"), I ran across this gem and found it highly amusing. Little did I suspect I'd not only return to this website, but become a part of the community here. (Note: I no longer call a week a secton )

I agree with what he says about the feminization (is that a word? ) of TV. Never planning to watch the reimagined BSG, or probably the new A-Team for that matter - of course, that's a different problem.

Are you familiar with the show White Collar? The main character, Neal Caffrey, is essentially what you'd get if you merged Starbuck and Face into one lovable, trouble-making, semi-ethical con man working for the FBI. That show features mostly male characters in a "sleek" upper-class setting (NYC) but doesn't feminize them. At least in my opinion. I say Neal is a combo of Starbuck and Face because he's got Face's three-piece suit con artist persona but with the risk-taking, sweet-talking personality type of Starbuck. Like any good ESTP, he's difficult to dislike and difficult to say no to, even for a straight-laced FBI agent like Peter Burke. Everyone loves an ESTP.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Are you familiar with the show White Collar? The main character, Neal Caffrey, is essentially what you'd get if you merged Starbuck and Face into one lovable, trouble-making, semi-ethical con man working for the FBI. That show features mostly male characters in a "sleek" upper-class setting (NYC) but doesn't feminize them. At least in my opinion. I say Neal is a combo of Starbuck and Face because he's got Face's three-piece suit con artist persona but with the risk-taking, sweet-talking personality type of Starbuck. Like any good ESTP, he's difficult to dislike and difficult to say no to, even for a straight-laced FBI agent like Peter Burke. Everyone loves an ESTP.
I love that show. Face/Starbuck combination? I can live with that😉. Even if it means bending the rules to get the right result.

I did read the Lost in Castration article a while ago. I really liked the original BSG and couldn't get into the new series.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post

The first time I saw White Collar, I was bowled over. I had stopped watching TV but found it at Netflix on my iPad that I was using exclusively at that time.

The lead character was photographed from angles that made him reminiscent of Dirk. Another lovable conman. When he went to work, there was this small group with a woman, a boss, and a black man that, the first time he spoke, I swear he was imitating BA. I had to watch that ep again before I could believe it.

Then all the way through the series, Neil would do little things that Dirk had done as Faceman. Standing behind something, peeping around a corner. How many times have you seen Face do that. And remember when Face pulled out a pair of glasses and just put them on, but had never worn them before? Neil did the same with the same glasses. His boss did a little double-take at the glasses but didnít mention them. Then the blue jacket, exactly the shade of Faceís blue jacket. Thatís besides the three-piece suit.

Little things like that kept popping up all the way through the series and I watched it all. Enjoyed it, too, because it felt a lot like the A-Team. Itís like they wanted the A-Team but on their terms. So they copied it as closely as they could.

Dirk has talked about how, if they made the series again, his character would be gay, and Neil is played by a real-life gay man. Itís not the actor that they hated so much, I suspect, but the politics of the actor.

Last edited by ojai22; 02-06-2017 at 12:55 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
The first time I saw White Collar, I was bowled over. I had stopped watching TV but found it at Netflix on my iPad that I was using exclusively at that time.

The lead character was photographed from angles that made him reminiscent of Dirk. Another lovable conman. When he went to work, there was this small group with a woman, a boss, and a black man that, the first time he spoke, I swear he was imitating BA. I had to watch that ep again before I could believe it.

Then all the way through the series, Neil would do little things that Dirk had done as Faceman. Standing behind something, peeping around a corner. How many times have you seen Face do that. And remember when Face pulled out a pair of glasses and just put them on, but had never worn them before? Neil did the same with the same glasses. His boss did a little double-take at the glasses but didnít mention them. Then the blue jacket, exactly the shade of Faceís blue jacket. Thatís besides the three-piece suit.

Little things like that kept popping up all the way through the series and I watched it all. Enjoyed it, too, because it felt a lot like the A-Team. Itís like they wanted the A-Team but on their terms. So they copied it as closely as they could.

Dirk has talked about how, if they made the series again, his character would be gay, and Neil is played by a real-life gay man. Itís not the character of Face that they hated so much, I suspect, but the politics of the actor.
So glad I'm not the only one who thought Neal acted a lot like Face! Even the way Matt Bomer manages to portray complicated emotions as clearly readable facial expressions (no pun intended ) reminded me of Dirk.

I forgot Matt is gay. It's kind of sad - he looks so good with the ladies.

Love the character of Mozzie too. He's intellectual and quirky but very comfortable in his own skin. And Peter has high standards but is very reasonable; he prioritizes people over the rulebook. The way Neal "loosens him up" to the point where Peter's the one taking calculated risks reminds me of what happened with my sister and me. I love how that show demonstrates real friendship between the characters: they stick by each other even when it's hard and potentially damaging to their own career/safety/etc.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote