LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > The A-Team > The Fab Four

The Fab Four Discussions on Hannibal, Faceman, Murdock, and BA and the men who played them.

View Poll Results: If the A-Team Movie is produced, are you going to go to the cinema and watch it?
Yes! 4 30.77%
No! 7 53.85%
I don't care.. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Producers have to be able to 'sell' their movies/tv shows in 3 second slots now, hence descriptions like;

Its like Baywatch meets Jaws, or
Its like Alien meets Predator (oh wait, they actually made that one! )

etc. Being able to make a remake, you can explain 'immediately' your 'concept' ,eg Its a remake of
the Brady Bunch
Wonder Woman
Battlestar Galactica
Knight rider, etc, etc, etc

so easy (and unimagined) to do!

deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #27
starlight

This may be old news but I don't pay much attention to the news of the movie. My nephew is excited at the thought of an A-Team movie and I showed him the imdb.com page: https://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0429493/
It's news to me:
A group of Iraq War veterans looks to clear their name with the U.S. military, who suspect the four men of committing a crime for which they were framed.

Why can't they show our guys living in today an fighting to clear their name?
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #28
sara

Starlight.... what an incredible avatar!!!!!!!!!!!! That's great!!!!!!

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow." --- Dirk Benedict

"Life: my favorite occupation." --- Dirk Benedict
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #29
Denise Ross

If any of the boys are in it I would definetly consider it
Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #30
ani
crazy Texan

Quote:
Not for real fans.
Oh come now, lets not get into whose a better fan issues over a silly movie.
Liking or not liking the new A-Team move is no indication of how "real" a fan is. There are pleanty of adaptations out there that are not remotely like the original (like any Diseny adaptation of any fairy tale EVER) and they can still be pretty good and enjoyed by different people.

Enjoying a movie comes down to taste, and so is enjoying an adaptation.
Basically, is it a movie you like and are the changes things you can work past or not?
Even if you'd normally like that kinda movie, if you can't work past the changes you don't like it And there's no har, there or fantacism. Everyone has that one show/Book/whatever that they don't wanna see changed.

But at the same time, if someone can work past the changes and enjoy the movie, that's fine too. Everyone also has things they can see adpated and changed and still enjoy the new thing for what it is. They're no more or less a "true" fan, they just have different tastes.

I see a lot kinda thing in Sci-Fi fandoms. Where people pass judgement based on others tastes in shows. You know, you arent' a true Star Trek fan if you like Babylon 5, or you can't be reading Alfred Bester if you don't like NBG, or you have the brains of Tofu if you like Stargate/Firefly/Original BSG/show some person does not like.

And it was really bad when the X-men movie came out, which yeah changes canon MASSIVELY, and some did like it, but some did, but peopel got really nasty about it.

So I'm gonna be sad if the new A-Team movie causes that kinda unpleasant riff in the A-Team fandom

Besides, again, it's just a movie. Not a TV sereis. It's not really re-writing the canon in the same way the NBG show did. It's like a fanfic. Just keep thinking of it that way.
It's an AU fanfic.

If you like it yay, if you don't also yay.

PS: Starlight
BEST AVATAR EVER! *ROFL*
ani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #31
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I still am not going to see it. I'd like to remember the A-Team the way it was.
I don't like remakes. Most of the ones I've seen have been terrible.
I would see it if it were say A-Team The Next Generation. Now, that's a concept that I could live with.

Last edited by bibbi; 02-25-2008 at 09:37 AM..
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #32
ani
crazy Texan

Quote:
I would see it if it were say A-Team The Next Generation. Now, that's a concept that I could live with.
EEK! No *L* That's the concept I'd be most wary of. Their children or heirs or dkhfdskghdsghsdj no no no no. *L* That's way to coincedental for me to go far.

I do wish they'd have the guts to set this in Vietnam though
I get that they wanna make it relevant but ummmmmm you don't need the grab the most modern war for that.

Most people can extrapolate any allegories that are made to modern times *shakes head* That and I think the Iraq war will get too bogged down in politics. Everyone is gonna scream the movie has either a liberal or conservative message/bias/whatever, and really tha'ts soooo not what the A-Team is about.

So *meh* I'll give the movie a chance but I do feel they want the route that took the least amount of effort and had the least amount of risk attached.
. . . like the remake of The Stepford Wives. god forbid we go into any modern feminsit issues, those take though! Lets just make the whole thing one big JOKE! HA! *head desk* (Stepford Wives if anyone wants to know, is the re-make I've been most offended thus far in my life)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #33
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I think I could handle the movie as an AU - Lord knows, in fanfic I've taken the guys down a lot darker alleys than the show ever did And, as others have said elsewhere, I might even deal with Face being the "supposed" bad guy in the beginning, if it was cleared up in the end. But Face just "bad" is one of those AU plots that I've never been a big fan of.

I also agree about the "children of the A-Team" scenario - I've never read a fanfic yet with that theme that I didn't shake my head over. And if it were just a "new" A-Team (not supposed to be the originals) then it would just be another war movie.

But, no, I don't think anybody needs to get their underwear in a bundle over it. It will be interesting to see what happens when (and *if*) it's ever released. Maybe this fandom could actually discuss it without getting the walls muddy
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #34
ani
crazy Texan

Quote:
Maybe this fandom could actually discuss it without getting the walls muddy
I'm betting we can. Aside from the A-Team fandom being hands down the nicest, friendliest, most compromisng and understanding fandom I've ever been in, this whole movie thing really is a whole other set up than what happened with BSG. As has been said, it's not like we were promised a continuation with Dirk Dwight and T and then had that snatched away. We'd kinda accepted there would be a movie and it wouldn't be much related to the TV series.

And re-make movies rarely get fandoms of their own large enough to rival the TV series fandom. Usually if you like the movie you also like the TV show and it's one big happy fandom. BSG was . . special. It's not like we should get another fandom to raise up as argue with us.

Hopefully a movie just generates interest in the TV seriesand gives us fans something fun to discuss. ^__^

Quote:
And if it were just a "new" A-Team (not supposed to be the originals) then it would just be another war movie.
I'm betting that's how I'm gonna need to view it. Like Mission Impossible was another Spy Movie *L* If I try to think of MI as related to the TV series it hurts.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #35
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I think a A-Team next generation movie would and could work. I'm not talking about the children or heirs of the original A-Team. That's not what I meant. The members of the original A-Team are looking for Hannibal's murderer. We'd have George Peppard as Hannibal in flash backs. The team recruits a new A-Team from soldiers who have also been falsely accused of a crime and help them clear their name and also find Hannibal's murderer. We'd have Mr. T as B.A. and Dwight Schultz as Murdock and of course Dirk Benedict as Face. That's a movie I'd watch.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #36
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Yes, I think that could work. Allthough Mr. T has lost some of his muscle I believe. And if he would do it? Dirk and Dwight I think might be up for it, with your idea...

Who would you consider a perfect cast for the "next" A-team? According to Dirk it would become all female .

So let's see. I think it has to become a 4-some again. And ofcourse with 4 totally different characters. But not exactly like the real A-team (the leader, the good looking one, the nut case and the bully )

So let's think about an A-team of:

4 guys...

4 dolls (sorry: girls...)

or a mix of gender...

And who? As what kind of character...

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #37
sara

Well, I agrre that going or not to watch this film isn't a matter of being a "real fan" or not.

But I can agree that our "generation" (it doesn't depend on our age, but the fact that we've enjoyed it in a specific period) loves the original A-Team. No compromises (at least.. I speak about me).

A remake would spoil the charm of this fiction, which has always meant so much foe me.
I completely agree with Anne about it.
It's not a matter of being nostalgic (even if I confess I am!!).. or being "purists" of the A-Team.. it's just a way yo keep safe our fairy world.

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow." --- Dirk Benedict

Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #38
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
Oh come now, lets not get into whose a better fan issues over a silly movie.
I certainly had no intention to do that with my comment, ani. If other people like that film - fine with me, no problem, they are not bad fans because of that. Maybe it came through a little wrong, my motto always was and will be 'live and let live'.

What irks me so much is the fact, that everything that has a name and was at some time somehow successfull is cannibalized for the money. It's not only TV shows, it's the same with computer games. Don't do something new, better sell a name the people know, because it might make some more money! If they would instead concentrate on making the things good, they woouldn't need such a name, because the product would sell itself.

Don't get me wrong, the film might be good, but why do they need to call it the A-Team? To make old fans go to the cinema and check it out. By the time the people know if it is good or not, they've paid. Voilá. To me that is cheating, but heck, it's the way it works these days and those guys in the studios are no different from other companies who are trying to sell their goods no matter how. I get a little recalcitrant if they try to get at my money like that, that's all. No offense intended...

Somehow I like to think that my thoughts are partially heading in the same direction as Dirk's 'Lost in castration'
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #39
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
What irks me so much is the fact, that everything that has a name and was at some time somehow successfull is cannibalized for the money. It's not only TV shows, it's the same with computer games. Don't do something new, better sell a name the people know, because it might make some more money! If they would instead concentrate on making the things good, they woouldn't need such a name, because the product would sell itself.

Don't get me wrong, the film might be good, but why do they need to call it the A-Team? To make old fans go to the cinema and check it out. By the time the people know if it is good or not, they've paid. Voilá. To me that is cheating, but heck, it's the way it works these days and those guys in the studios are no different from other companies who are trying to sell their goods no matter how. I get a little recalcitrant if they try to get at my money like that, that's all. No offense intended...

Somehow I like to think that my thoughts are partially heading in the same direction as Dirk's 'Lost in castration'
I agree with your comments. I also think that they just do this as a marketing ploy. It really irks me when there is so much great talent in Hollywood to make new stories/ideas and they waste it. Not all remakes I've seen are bad. But, a lot of them are.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #40
ani
crazy Texan

Quote:
I certainly had no intention to do that with my comment, ani. If other people like that film - fine with me, no problem, they are not bad fans because of that. Maybe it came through a little wrong, my motto always was and will be 'live and let live'.
*whew* ok *L* All my fandoms seem to end up divded like that and honestly, of all the horrors a movie can bring, dividing a fandom into us versus them is one of the worst. But yes Live and let live is a great motto ^__^

But Live and Let Die is a great song

Quote:
You know I don't remotely disagree with this point and it is in fact a happy ranting point, and as you said, a great point Dirk makes in LIC.

But at the same time . . . it not always all about the money.
Money can be big because you gotta get people to take risks, but sometimes there's love for the material in there.

LotR was a great example. Some peple hate Peter Jackson for the changes he made, and yes some changes were done for marketability, but at the same time, there's no deny there was love in that movie for the surce material, andnot just a cash in on HP (I also get te idea whoever did Golden Compass truly loved it, where as whoever did Narnia money grabbed .. BAd disney BAD).

Same with the Constintine movie. Keanu Reeves could not have been a worse choice for what is suppossed to be low class ENGLISH cyincal arsehole of a mage (also BLOND) and yet . . . the movie got made partially because Keanu so badly wanted to play Constintine. He loved the character. The studios agreed because he was big after Matrix.
Marketability met fanboy and you got a movie that . . most Hellblazer fans want to kill (but I liked it! It works as Hellblazer it does even if they moved it to LA, it's just AU John . . .). But large sections of that crew, from what I've read, are huge fans of the comic and were just trying to tell a good Hellblazer story while pleasing those who are paying for it all (and there's the kicker, pleasing the money bags -_-. I could never write for movies or TV. I'd throttle an executive. I don't know how JMS and Larson dealt with that!)

And I think there is some of that going on. It's not just money it's the people in Hollywood great up *wanting* to be these characters. You know some kid somewhere would give is left leg to play Face because they grew up an A-Team fan. So I kinda think that's part of the reason we are getting some of the movies we are getting.

But yeah sometimes it is about the money.
Or about egotistical writers who don't actually care for the source material and just want to put the anti-trek on TV because they needed therapy after being a Star Trek writer or something not that I have anyone specific in mind at all.

But then on that show which I don't specifically have in mind you have one actor just thrilled out of his ever loving mind to be on BSG because in his words, "he gets to be exactly what he wanted to be when he was 5"
I mean ksjghfdlghdfgh that's so cute!

So I think you're gettgin my generation growing up and making movies outta our childhood fantasies but, as fanfic writers will, putting out own twist on stuff.

So that's kinda what I'm hoping is there. Someone wanted to play the A-Team. Suits screamed the 80's premis wouldn't work, someone wants to REALLY play the A-team, so they work it out until suits will pay for movie.

And I'm just hoping love for the A-team wins over suits love for money, and that it wasn't all about marketing like some movies are.

. . . like Earthsea was.
Ohhh the rants I could do on that PoS.

Weekly BSG Comic // My Battlestar Galactica Fanpage
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #41
Nacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
EEK! No *L* That's the concept I'd be most wary of. Their children or heirs or dkhfdskghdsghsdj
What is dkhfdskghdsghsdj?

Don't know how...something something...okay I give up. What is it? (where are the smilies?) Damnit!

You're from Earth? Well, thanks for narrowing that down for me!

In Space, you're in a Ragtag Fugitive Fleet.
In Soviet Russia, Fugitive Fleet ragtags YOU!!

Twilight of the Psychopaths
TruthOrg
DeceptionDollar

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Nacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
ani
crazy Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacky View Post
What is dkhfdskghdsghsdj?

Don't know how...something something...okay I give up. What is it? (where are the smilies?) Damnit!

Oh, it's something I picked up from livejournal as just a funny way to bascially express "I have no words due to strong emotion" type thing or kinda a "and I don't know what else to say here"

Weekly BSG Comic // My Battlestar Galactica Fanpage
Old 03-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #43
Nacky

Oh I see. Okay. So it's a random kinda press any key thing? Blah. Blur. Wuka Wuka. Wiki Wiki? Shazam! Okay I'm done. :P

Why is there no HTML for posts? The old format had smilies! Well dsgahadgahs!

You're from Earth? Well, thanks for narrowing that down for me!

In Space, you're in a Ragtag Fugitive Fleet.
In Soviet Russia, Fugitive Fleet ragtags YOU!!

Twilight of the Psychopaths
TruthOrg
DeceptionDollar

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Nacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #44
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Just a quickie from the Website Updates forum, Nacky:

go to your CP, then "edit options" button, then waaaaay down at the bottom you'll find "Miscellaneous Options" - you want "Message Editor Interface" and choose the "enhanced" one.

Should be able to do all the smilies then
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #45
sara

Quote:

TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!!
I perfectly agree with you Karin (it's your name isn't it?)

Doesn't matter if others fans think different, I respect it.
But personally I can't stand commerce absorbing everything..

Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #46
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!!
I perfectly agree with you Karin (it's your name isn't it?)

Doesn't matter if others fans think different, I respect it.
But personally I can't stand commerce absorbing everything..
I agree with Karin too. *I have a cousin in Germany who's name is Karin* *really*
I also can't stand commerce absorbing everything. Enough already.
We do need less of that.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #47
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbinut View Post
*I have a cousin in Germany who's name is Karin* *really*
Really? Unfortunately I'm quite sure it's not me I know I've got relatives in the US somewhere, but our families lost contact 40 years ago But I wouldn't mind to have relatives in Canada, too Hubby and I always dreamt of a fishing trip to Canada, to catch some decent salmon
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #48
sara

Well, I'm considering the result of my poll.. The majority isn't going to watch this eventual film at the cinema.
I imagined this could be the result, and as you already know I share it.

Just hope this film is not to be produced!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #49
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Several places have sited "Variety" as saying it will be released June 12, 2009. I haven't seen the actual article, though.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #50
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella View Post
Several places have sited "Variety" as saying it will be released June 12, 2009. I haven't seen the actual article, though.
Bad news....