LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
WelshPoppy30

Smile Himalayan Pink Salt

A little while ago, a friend and I got to talking and I was telling them about the changes I have been making over the last 2 years or so regarding food.
Then as the conversation continued, they mentioned to me about Himalayan pink salt as an alternative to regular table/sea salt and it's benefits.
I must also mention that this friend is into nutrition and fitness. I have also done my bit of research on this.
Without making this post too long, I will list just some of the benefits Himalayan pink salt provides......
* Aids in vascular health
* Boosts energy
* Supports respiratory function
* Promotes healthy bones
* Promotes healthy sleep
* Encourage healthy blood sugar levels
* Promotes kidney and gall bladder health, as well as other benefits.
Despite this, it is still salt and it is not recommended to have too much.
Now, I don't use salt that much, only to season during cooking if needed, I do not add more to my plate once food is served.
I am trying this out as an alternative and I'm quite happy with it and it will last ages.
Although I have been making changes in the way I eat, I'm not macrobiotic but I do eat a lot of brown rice and I am transitioning into becoming vegetarian. Slowly, but I'm getting there
Would anyone else/does anyone use this salt as an alternative? Can it also be used in macrobiotics?

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 06-27-2018 at 06:21 PM..
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Himalayan Pink Salt

WP, first Welcome to DBC.

I am a long time user of Himalayan Pink salt crystals. There is one problem with it - it makes food taste so good, you can overeat if you aren’t careful!

Also, sea salt may leave you without Iodine in your diet. You can take a drop of Nascent Iodine in a spoonful of water twice a day - or you can use sea veggies.

I add a small piece of Wakame to my oatmeal every morning. A piece of Kombu added to soups or beans is another way to get the iodine you need. If you don’t know about sea weeds you should make it a priority to learn about them. Especially if you are using sea salt. (Excuse my bossiness!)

I use Sunfood Himalayan sea salt which you can get from their site, or from iherb or vitacost at a lesser price. I check to see which one has the better deal. :-)

There is another sea salt that comes from Utah. It’s called RealSalt and isn’t quite as pink as Himalayan. The more minerals it has, the pinker it is. RealSalt has around 60 minerals, I think, but Himalayan has over 80.

Oh, and yes, I am Macrobiotic.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
WelshPoppy30

Post Re: Himalayan Pink Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
WP, first Welcome to DBC.

I am a long time user of Himalayan Pink salt crystals. There is one problem with it - it makes food taste so good, you can overeat if you aren’t careful!

Also, sea salt may leave you without Iodine in your diet. You can take a drop of Nascent Iodine in a spoonful of water twice a day - or you can use sea veggies.

I add a small piece of Wakame to my oatmeal every morning. A piece of Kombu added to soups or beans is another way to get the iodine you need. If you don’t know about sea weeds you should make it a priority to learn about them. Especially if you are using sea salt. (Excuse my bossiness!)

I use Sunfood Himalayan sea salt which you can get from their site, or from iherb or vitacost at a lesser price. I check to see which one has the better deal. :-)

There is another sea salt that comes from Utah. It’s called RealSalt and isn’t quite as pink as Himalayan. The more minerals it has, the pinker it is. RealSalt has around 60 minerals, I think, but Himalayan has over 80.

Oh, and yes, I am Macrobiotic.
Hello ojai22 thank you for the welcome.
Honestly you are not being bossy at all I appreciate you telling me what you do to get the idodine intake you need and I will learn more about sea veggies.
One thing I didn't know was that iodine is essential to thyroid health. I will say, I do eat a lot of fish and I understand that fish does contain iodine.
I agree that Himalayan pink salt does make food taste very good and I will make sure not to over do it

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote