LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Stress, Emotions, Burnout/Sickness

A long but interesting article. Confession: I did skim through some of the jargon-y sections.

The Science of Stress and How Our Emotions Affect Our Susceptibility to Burnout and Disease
How your memories impact your immune system, why moving is one of the most stressful life-events, and what your parents have to do with your predisposition to PTSD.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/0...tress-emotion/

This article came along at the right time, since over the last several days, I've undergone emotional stress for various reasons, and it ended up keeping me up at night several nights. After especially bad insomnia the last couple of nights, I've found myself in the state I was in for months last school year: irritable to the point that the slightest things get on my nerves, and wanting to respond aggressively to everything that annoys me (key word is *wanting* since I don't fully act on these impulses - about the farthest it goes is staying away from everybody and being more sassy than usual). What is crazy to me is that a person can be thrown completely off-balance just from sleeping at the wrong times.

Throughout my life, I've had problems with insomnia and simply not wanting to go to sleep, and now I'm beginning to realize it's often had a lot to do with failing to handle stress in a healthy way. This is a big reason why from at least October-ish of last year to March-ish this year, I was in a constant state of emotional turmoil and irrationality - because I was caught in a vicious cycle of worrying, and not relaxing enough to sleep, and then spending the next day tired and worrying about being tired and not being able to sleep, and then making poor decisions about sleep and everything else, on and on, ad nauseum. Before I could begin making a noticeable recovery from burnout, I had to deal with my spiritual imbalance so I could begin to relax, and I had to get a white noise machine to block out the sounds that would wake me up even while wearing earplugs. Then I was able to get full and restful sleep, and I began getting my energy and good mood back.

Even though I'm a lot better than I was, my body still has a long way to go, and every time I tamper with my sleep schedule, it affects me for days. That being said, I should probably actually go to sleep now. If only sleep was like yawning, since when you talk about yawning, it makes you feel the need to yawn, but when you talk about sleep, it may or may not have any physiological effect. Unless you're being hypnotized, according to common lore.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Stress, Emotions, Burnout/Sickness

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...-sleep-cycle#1

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...nin-overview#1
Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Thanks for sharing these! Most of the tips in the first article are widely recommended. Keeping a regular wakeup time is what I've found helps me the most. It eventually sets my body clock to fall asleep at the right time, but it takes a few weeks, and I hate the groggy feeling. Of course it's so much easier to mess up your sleep schedule than to fix it.

I tried taking melatonin a while back, but even when I cut it into tiny pieces, it still lowered my blood pressure enough to make me dizzy and flushed, so I stopped.

It's interesting... I think not talking to people enough also makes it harder for me to sleep. Talking is like exercise for me - invigorating and somewhat challenging. It not only expends energy but helps to bring closure to many thoughts bouncing around in the mind, somewhat like dreaming does. When I'm not talking much during the day, it's harder to relax at night because there are so many thoughts that haven't been pulled out into the open and explored to a conclusion. Hence, I can't fall asleep, and then I wake up after four hours of sleep and end up going for a walk (as happened this morning) because my brain is very awake. Apparently, I need find more people to talk to. Or maybe I just need to develop relevant topics of conversation for talking with people I regularly see. Fantastic.

And now I'm rambling online. Yup, maybe I should seek out some good conversations starting now.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
ojai22

LD, soon after I read your post I was browsing through a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog and found something that might be helpful, but I understand that you've probably had more suggestions than you can handle. I looked it up online, in case you want to take a look:

https://www.hammacher.com/Product/88307?promo=search

I read some of the comments, they're interesting....
Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Hmm, you can always Skype. Someone is up. You tell me I don't sleep enough. I can chat until the wee hours of the morning and then go to work. I may be tired, but I still accomplish my tasks.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
Michele Ann
Dirkette

LD14, my sleep is crucial as well since my job, for one, causes me a lot of emotional stress. Lately it's been my mother's cancer and we still have the consults with other doctors. So, a long way to go yet. My relationship with my brother... um...sucks. So, stress messes with my sleep, mood, energy etc. A lovely crash into clinical depression ensues.
Which means sleep is even more crucial. I understand the sleep schedule. Sticking to a routine etc. I'm struggling as of late still. I wake up in the night out of a little anxiety. But I'm here for you too. Lots going on for so many people that I think we all are more alike than we are different in the world. Who knew? *wink wink *.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote