LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Macrobiotics and orthodox science/medicine

I hope you don't mind, I've started a new topic where we can list where modern science is starting to catch up with macrobiotics. :lol:

Please see

"A diet rich in potatoes, white bread and white rice may be contributing to a "silent epidemic" of a dangerous liver condition. [fatty liver] ...

"The researchers say that because the processed carbohydrates are absorbed so quickly, they trigger the release of more of the chemical insulin, which tells the body to lay down more fat."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7006191.stm

I've already printed it out to give to my Dad. He loves his white rice and has already 'agreed' to eat brown rice once a week :roll: , but I'm hoping I can persuade him to eat it more frequently coz of this research! :lol:
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
starlight

Default Re: Macrobiotics and orthodox science/medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeelicious
I hope you don't mind, I've started a new topic where we can list where modern science is starting to catch up with macrobiotics. :lol:

Please see

"A diet rich in potatoes, white bread and white rice may be contributing to a "silent epidemic" of a dangerous liver condition. [fatty liver] ...

"The researchers say that because the processed carbohydrates are absorbed so quickly, they trigger the release of more of the chemical insulin, which tells the body to lay down more fat."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7006191.stm

I've already printed it out to give to my Dad. He loves his white rice and has already 'agreed' to eat brown rice once a week :roll: , but I'm hoping I can persuade him to eat it more frequently coz of this research! :lol:
A good thread deebee! Anyone watch You Are What You Eat?
And regarding your Dad with rice - before MB, I ate nothing but white rice. Simply because it was the one most prominantly advertised in stores. When I started eating brown rice, I thought it was okay. But the more I ate it, the more I took a dislike to white rice's taste and now eat nothing but brown. So gradually get your Dad to eat brown more than once a week and his tastebuds will change.
When I find some modern science/Macrobiotic news, I shall post them here
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight
A good thread deebee! Anyone watch You Are What You Eat?
And regarding your Dad with rice - before MB, I ate nothing but white rice. Simply because it was the one most prominantly advertised in stores. When I started eating brown rice, I thought it was okay. But the more I ate it, the more I took a dislike to white rice's taste and now eat nothing but brown. So gradually get your Dad to eat brown more than once a week and his tastebuds will change.
When I find some modern science/Macrobiotic news, I shall post them here
Thanks for your support SL - yes I occasionally watch 'You are what you eat' too! :lol:

I think my taste buds have definitely changed - I tried a few mouthfuls of my mum's white rice last weekend and it really tasted salty to me - it tasted 'normal' to her, so it must be me! :shock:

Here's some info confirming vitamin A and carotenoids found in 'orange' fruits and veg are v helpful with liver diseases/cancer.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5333898.stm
Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Here is some recent insulin research.
:lol:
I find such scientific findings reinforce my enthusiasm for macrobiotic foods. Hope you find it useful too.

1. Fatty liver
Excess fat around/in the organs, eg the liver, are key to the cause of diabetes [type 2]. "... extra fat in the liver can make the organ less sensitive to insulin, thereby leading to diabetes".
https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...diabetes-.html

2. Slower calorie absorption
Doctors find that gastric by-pass improves type 2 diabetes. Bypass surgery reduces the amount of time the body has to absorb calories from food.
May be I'm being oversimplistic - but if people ate foods that weren't so easily absorbed, perhaps that too would improve diabetes. What kind of foods, hmmmmm, I know, what about 'wholegrains'?
https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...g-surgery.html

3. Low GI diets better for losing excess weight
"... people who naturally produce high levels of insulin - a hormone that encourages fat and liver cells to store energy - fared better [ie lost more excess weight] on low-GL [glycaemic load] diets, where blood sugar levels rise more slowly than on low-fat diets."
https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...t-obesity.html

5. Insulin causes brain damage - so avoid excessive amounts!
Avoiding insulin can help protect against degenerative brain diseases like Alzheimer's. "'By removing Irs2 [key insulin receptor expressed throughout the body] from the brain, we protected it from excess insulin,' says White. This also seemed to lead to healthier brain activity. ... 'A balanced diet and exercise are two suggested ways of keeping insulin levels low in the brain and will also help to reduce the risk of developing dementia.' ...[Holscher] suggests that controlling insulin activity could benefit people with Alzheimer's because it drives protein synthesis and the disease is characterised by the build-up of an abnormal protein called beta-amyloid."
(quotes in this paragraph are from the main article which aren't visible from the free link below - sorry).
https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...lzheimers.html
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
deebeelicious
Asset Security

This is a bit old, but interesting anyhow ...

'junk sleep' encourages the eating of junk food

"UK scientists found sleep deprivation led to hormonal changes which told the body to eat sugary or starchy food to provide an energy boost."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6962085.stm

Is it me, or can a lot of the 'behavioural' problems in kids be improved by better sleep and diet? :shock:

xx
Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Latest medical advice to reduce your 'general' risk of cancer:

Limit red meat
Limit alcohol
Avoid bacon, ham, and other processed meats
No sugary drinks
No weight gain after 21
Exercise everyday
Breastfeed children
Do not take dietary supplements to cut cancer

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7069914.stm

Hmmmm, sound familiar! :wink:
Alas, how many of us succeeded with point 5! Well it's not too late to try to 'reverse' the weight gain (I hope! :? )

:lol:
Old 12-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Hmmm, nice diet given here - sound familiar! :wink:

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3007206.ece

though I think there may be one or two shortcomings to the lifestyle!
LOL - need a Shepherdess Dirk! :wink:

xx
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #8
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Researchers have found asthma and allergies were significantly less common in children whose mothers ate lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts and fish during pregnancy.

The Thorax study also found eating high levels of red meat increased the risk.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7186728.stm

8)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Fasting is well known in Eastern religions/philosophies, and used to be a regular feature for many Christians in the West, until recently. It's been said that fasting 'feeds the spirit', but now some scientific proof that it is good for the body too! :shock:

https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...the-heart.html

:wink:
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
deebeelicious
Asset Security

I posted on a different thread about acrylamide as a carcinogen.
Quote:
Acrylamide
Acrylamide is a chemical found in fried/roasted/grilled/barbequed food. It is naturally formed when food turns that tasty golden brown. :shock: :x

It is a human carcinogen, and 5 years ago was first spotted in food. A large-scale study has now confirmed that those women who eat foods containing acrylamide (ie foods/drinks with tasty brown bits in!) are much more likely to develop womb or ovarian cancers.

https://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...r/05120703.asp

Other epidemiological research has so far not found any link between acrylamide and more common cancers such as breast, colorectal, bladder and renal.

The study (linked above) particularly noted a Dutch spiced cake :shock: (type of non-crusty gingerbread :? ), seemed to account for the most variation in acrylamide intake for those participants whereas for US populations, coffee and potato chips were the main sources of acrylamide. :shock:

Gotta say I used to love my BBQ foods!
EDIT - just another reason to avoid fast foods, if you can! :wink:
I have been thinking about this over the weekend in relation to macrobiotic recipes. For example, in Aveline Kushi's receipe book, she talks about roasting the grains and seeds to bring out the sweetness in them.

For myself, the above evidence on acrylamide is enough for me not to regularly roast my food, and I will not be following that particular guidance. And I am going to keep my (lovely) roasted barley coffee (and normal coffee) to the minimum (if I can )

You are, as always, free to please yourselves! :lol:
Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Smile

One of the most 'controversial' recommendations I found when I first started reading about macrobiotics was the 'limited fruit' one. All my life I thought I knew that fruit was good for me, and in my home, my family often eat 2 - 3 portions of fresh fruit a day, particularly tropical fruits. So the MB advise that fruit contained (I'll call it) 'fast sugar' and that I should be limiting my consumption of them to only a few times per week, and keep to temperate fruits (if one lives in temperate climes), was hard for me to adjust to. Let me be clear for those that are not familiar, that MB diets are v rich in vitamin C etc, but these are from VEGETABLE sources (ie with less 'sugar' in them) than fruit sources.

Also, I had heard (several years ago), that fructose was a 'good' sugar and 'OK' to eat compared with sucrose. MB says no to fructose and also artificial sweeteners too (please correct me if I've made any mistakes!)

So with the above in mind, I found this article on the association of fructose with gout very interesting, and a reminder that even 'fruit smoothies' may not be as 'good' for me as my dandelion or bancha teas!
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7219473.stm

xx
Old 02-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
deebeelicious
Asset Security

One of the 'surprises' for many people coming across Macrobiotics for the first time, is the recommendation to avoid artificial sweeteners as well as natural sugars.

Here' some clear cut scientific evidence why artificial sweeteners don't help in the long run.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7233459.stm

"The saccharin-fed mice ate more calories, put on more fat, and gained more weight than their sugar-fed counterparts.
"They did not make any attempt to cut back on their food later to regulate their weight."

(OK its on mice, but such studies always start small - now that this 'interesting finding' has been found, hopefully someone will do some more human studies.)

Last edited by deebeelicious; 02-13-2008 at 03:56 AM..
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
ojai22

Here's some good info:

https://altmedicine.about.com/od/popu...acrobiotic.htm

What is the Macrobiotic Diet?

The word "macrobiotic" comes from Greek roots and means "long life". The macrobiotic diet and philosophy were developed by a Japanese educator named George Ohsawa, who believed that simplicity was the key to optimal health.
The diet Ohsawa recommended included ten progressively restrictive stages. The last stage of Ohsawa's macrobiotic diet consisted only of brown rice and water. Due to its extreme restriction, Ohsawa's version of the macrobiotic diet is no longer recommended by macrobiotic diet counselors.
Michio Kushi expanded on Ohsawa's macrobiotic theory and opened the Kushi Institute in Boston in 1978. Together with his wife Aveline, Kushi published many books on macrobiotics and was responsible for popularizing the diet in North America.

Why do People Follow the Macrobiotic Diet?

Typically, people interested in the macrobiotic diet are seeking a healthy way of eating that integrates physical, spiritual, and planetary health.
The macrobiotic diet is a low-fat, high fiber diet that is a predominantly vegetarian diet, emphasizing whole grains and vegetables. In addition, the macrobiotic diet is rich in phytoestrogens from soy products.
Because low-fat, high fiber diets are often recommended for cancer and other chronic diseases, the macrobiotic diet has been used by people with these conditions. The phytoestrogen content may be protective and reduce the risk of estrogen-related cancers such as breast cancer. However, further research is needed to clarify whether the macrobiotic diet is effective in cancer prevention and treatment.
People with serious medical conditions such as cancer or AIDS should always seek proper medical care. Some people try the diet because they heard it can cure their disease, but reseach has not substantiated these claims.

What are the Guidelines of the Macrobiotic Diet?
  • Whole grains typically make up 50 to 60% of each meal. Whole grains include brown rice, whole wheat berries, barley, millet, rye, corn, buckwheat, and other whole grains. Rolled oats, noodles, pasta, bread, baked goods, and other flour products can be eaten occasionally.
  • Soup. One to two cups or bowls of soup per day. Miso and shoyu, which are made from fermented soybeans, are commonly used.
  • Vegetables typically make up 25 to 30% of the daily food intake. Up to one-third of the total vegetable intake can be raw. Otherwise, vegetables should be steamed, boiled, baked, and sauteed.
  • Beans make up 10% of the daily food intake. This includes cooked beans or bean products such as tofu, tempeh, and natto.
  • Animal products. A small amount of fish or seafood is typically consumed several times per week. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy are usually avoided. Fish or seafood are eaten with horseradish, wasabi, ginger, mustard, or grated daikon to help the body detoxify from the effects of fish and seafood.
  • Seeds and nuts in moderation. Seeds and nuts can be lightly roasted and salted with sea salt or shoyu.
  • Local fruit can be consumed several times a week. Includes apples, pears, peaches, apricots, grapes, berries, melons, and other fruit. Tropical fruit such as mango, pineapple, and papaya is usually avoided.
  • Desserts are permitted in moderation, approximately two to three times per week. Desserts can be enjoyed by people who are in good health. Emphasize naturally sweet foods such as apples, squash, adzuki beans, and dried fruit. Natural sweeteners such as rice syrup, barley malt, and amazake can be used. Sugar, honey, molasses, chocolate, carob, and other sweeteners are avoided.
  • Cooking oil is typically unrefined vegetable oil. One of the most common oils used is dark sesame oil. Other oils that are recommended are light sesame oil, corn oil, and mustard seed oil.
  • Condiments and seasonings include natural sea salt, shoyu, brown rice vinegar, umeboshi vinegar, umeboshi plums, grated ginger root, fermented pickles, gomashio (roasted sesame seeds), roasted seaweed, and sliced scallions.
Diet guidelines are individualized based on factors such as climate, season, age, gender, activity, and health needs.

What are the Strengths of the Macrobiotic Diet?

The macrobiotic diet emphasizes foods that tend to be lacking in the North American diet, such as fiber-rich whole grains, vegetables, and beans. It is low in saturated fat and high in phytoestrogens, which proponents believe may help to balance female hormones and help with menopause, premenstrual syndrome, and prevention against breast cancer and endometriosis.
In addition, the macrobiotic diet is low in meat, dairy products, and sugar.

What are the Precautions and Possible Side Effects?

The macrobiotic diet is considered by some nutritionists to be too restrictive and lacking in certain nutrients, such as protein, vitamin B12, iron, magnesium, and calcium. Lack of energy may result from inadequate protein.

ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeelicious View Post

For myself, the above evidence on acrylamide is enough for me not to regularly roast my food, and I will not be following that particular guidance. And I am going to keep my (lovely) roasted barley coffee (and normal coffee) to the minimum (if I can )

You are, as always, free to please yourselves! :lol:

I was unhappy to learn about this, too, as I love roasted veggies.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I was unhappy to learn about this, too, as I love roasted veggies.
Thanks so much for the explanation of Macrobiotics - that shudda been my first post on this thread!
So glad we can still 'share the wealth' together

(I love finding the postive bonds and connections between everyone's ideas - we can't all think alike, that's part of our wonderfully unique individuality - hence I love comparative religion & philosophy when it's used to bring people together - not be divisive.)

Best wishes - and keep the 'wellness' coming too!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeelicious View Post
Thanks so much for the explanation of Macrobiotics - that shudda been my first post on this thread!
So glad we can still 'share the wealth' together

Thanks, I always enjoy your posts!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Rush, rush, never enough time!

Great article here exploring this theme.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7440153.stm

Prayer, meditation, switching off - call it what you will, but it can do us all a power of good - try it - just for a few mins?

Try 'switching off' your 'internal dialogue' for a few minutes - well at least turning the volume down! 'Internal dialogue?' , I mean those 'voices in your head'! (Hopefully they're only saying things like 'after I do the washing up I must make the beds', etc - if they're saying anything about harming anyone - err... please see your doctor / MB counsellor! ).

xx Peace to you all

EDIT - connection with MB? Well Michio Kushi thought well of yoga!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #18
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Well, this thread has turned into a bit of a blog?
And now I've started a blog too (please check it out over in the blog section of this fine web-site!) you might think this thread is gonna go quietly! Well, I'm gonna 'reserve' my blog for general Dirky-related comments, and keep adding science/geeky factual tidbits to this thread. Please feel free to add your own 'findings' about science and MB here too?

From 'Chemistry World' magazine June 2008
"Vegetables rich in nitrates, such as spinach [beetroot and celery], may help to protect against stomach ulcers thanks to bacteria in the mouth, a Swedish study suggests. ... [R]ats fed on a nitrate-rich diet had a thicker layer of mucus lining their stomachs, protecting them from hydrochloric acid in gastric juice and cutting the risk of ulcers. ... Nitrates in food are absorbed in the gut and enter the blood stream. From here they get into saliva but are reduced to nitrites by oral bacteria. After being swallowed, the nitrites are reduced to nitric oxide by stomach acid. Nitric oxide, an important signalling molecule, triggers an increase in the flow of blood to the stomach, helping to renew and thicken its mucus lining. ... When [the] rats were given an antibacterial mouthwash to kill the oral bacteria, he found they were more vulnerable to stomach ulcers. ... [The scientist] suggests that people using these mouthwashes regularly may be at risk, especially if they are also frequent users on nonsteroidal pain killers like aspirin, which can also damage the stomach lining.
"This is exciting work and gives us further reasons for eating a diet that contains lots of fresh vegetables."
So, in summary if that was a bit too technical, or yucky, for you! Eat plenty of vegetables, especially beetroot & celery, and remember to chew thoroughly before you swallow so you get lots of saliva down! And avoid using antibacterial mouthwash, if you can. Elsewhere in the article it says
"There are other safer ways of blocking the production of sulfur-containing compounds in the mouth if you have bad breath."
Wow - our bodies are so complex - awesome!

Last edited by deebeelicious; 06-20-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Latest research into broccoli, heart disease and diabetes. Eat more broccoli!
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7541639.stm

The info seems to be that all brassica plants (ie cauliflower, kale, etc) have the useful chemicals in them. And of course, it's not just people with these diseases who will benefit from eating these plants!

Why is science so slow?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #20
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Ojai22 kindly described the Macrobiotic diet in an earlier post. I realised that we had forgotten to mention the importance of lifestyle, and regular exercise.

Here's a reminder of the positive effects of regular exercise - it keeps you young!
"Becoming more regularly active can increases your sensitivity to the subtle, and not-so-subtle, effects of overeating. Your active condition offers a more reliable barometer of good health and your physical limitation. ...
"In a toned, active body, it's easier to exercise discipline because you know what works best for your body. Exercise also increases your will."
https://www.macrobiotics.co.uk/articles/principles.htm
"Elderly joggers were half as likely to die prematurely from conditions like cancer than non-runners. They also enjoyed a healthier life with fewer disabilities. ...
"If you had to pick one thing to make people healthier as they age, it would be aerobic exercise. The health benefits of exercise are greater than we thought."
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7554293.stm

Keep jogging, skipping, dancing, yardwork, or whatever else gets your heart going!

EDIT - errr ... here's an article on the benefits of 'sexercise'
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4703166.stm

Last edited by deebeelicious; 08-12-2008 at 09:42 AM..
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #21
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Thanks! for posting that information.
Food for thought. *pardon the pun*
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #22
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Hi folks. I think there's always something in the science media to keep this thread going!

Here's an interesting article, which I've chosen to connect with Macrobiotics. I shudda posted it during the Olympics ... but RL got in the way!

https://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle4539000.ece
In the article it talks about how top athletes are using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda to you chefs out there) to enhance their performance!

The theory is that it makes the blood slightly alkaline which helps the body recover from lactic acid build up (which forms in muscle during anerobic activity, ie extreme exertion).
During prolonged or intense exercise muscles produce large amounts of waste products, such as lactic acid, that lead to soreness, stiffness and fatigue. Because sodium bicarbonate naturally reduces acids, it acts as a buffer against these performance-limiting by-products. ... “Essentially, sodium bicarbonate is an alkali substance that increases the pH of the blood,” Dr Folland says. “This seems to reduce and offset the acidity produced in the muscles during intense, anaerobic exercise that produces lactic acid most quickly, such as fast running or swimming."
So, it got me thinking about alkaline food diets I have read about and the comment by Jessica Porter (author of 'Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics') who suggested women might want to try swapping the 40/60 ratio of veg/grains recommended by many MB (male!) writers round the other way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet
https://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

To me, there is a lot of compatibility between the alkaline diet and MB, if only because it encourages the eater to eat plenty of fresh veg. Where it differs is that it regards grains as acid forming. However, a combination of both would be a 'balanced' diet, right? And more veg than grain would mean it slightly tipped to alkaline?

OK before detractors complain, I'll mention first that the first article shows changes to the body from an 'extreme' diet (20 g of baking soda at a time!) and extreme exercise. But, I argue that perhaps, on a much smaller scale, surely the eating of 'alkaline' foods can influence wellbeing for more 'normal' individuals? Less soreness, stiffness and fatigue?

Well overall, it's just another thought to remind me to eat and enjoy all the lovely 'alkaline' food such as cabbage, cauliflower, kale, pumpkin, sea vegetables, beetroot, etc!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #23
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Don't forget to chew, chew chew!
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7681458.stm

I love it when science catches on!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #24
asmay

Nice! It'll take some time but eventually they will arrive at the same conclusion as macrobiotics did at least half a century ago ....

Hail to our Sensei Dirk!

BLISS is a constant state of mind, undisturbed by gain or loss. (Anonymus)
LOVE is an illness, without which one does not feel well. (Marguerite Grépon)
FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real (John Armitage)
asmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #25
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Well it's been awhile since we've added to this thread ...

Here's an article linking Alzheimer's with type II diabetes ...
"Treating Alzheimer's with the hormone insulin, or with drugs to boost its effect, may help patients ...

"The relationship between insulin and brain disease has been under scrutiny since doctors found evidence that the hormone was active there ...

"People with diabetes are at higher risk of developing Alzheimer's. It is well known that insulin affects how the brain works, and this research adds more evidence to the possibility that Alzheimer's could be a type of brain diabetes.

"The most exciting implications are that some diabetes drugs have the potential to be developed as Alzheimer's treatments."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7866022.stm

Personally I find the 'most exciting implications' are that many people can hopefully improve their future well being by doing something 'simple' like cutting down their sugar intake?