LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default I get Yin and Yang...

Really, I do. Whole foods, balance, expansion/contraction - I get it. The philosophy is sound and I understand it.

So how do you put it into practice? How do you get there from here?

I eat organic when I can. I eat local when I can. Whole grains and whole grain products instead of white rice and Wonder bread.

If you are following a macrobiotic lifestyle, I want to know how you got there, what you shop for and eat on a daily basis. Now that winter is here, where are you getting vegetables, and which ones are you eating? What about protein?

Let's talk about this...

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: I get Yin and Yang...

OK! Happy New Year! Now is the time to lock in those resolutions - and mine is to be healthier.

So let's talk about macrobiotics.

I am
Dawg

Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I desperately need to get back into MB. I still try - but my brother has moved back to the homestead and he's big into red meat and fad diets. Hard on the wallet trying to satisfy two different styles, but I'm working on him
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

Oh yeah, difficult. I've been wondering for a while now, if a Macro and a non-Macro can seriously live together and can both get from their diet what they want (which is a question I'd love to ask Dirk). Sometimes I think it's impossible. Starting with completely different cooking/seasoning methods to cooking two different meals for two people...arrggghhh. I haven't managed yet, as much as I'd like to. Maybe it's possible, if you're an enthusiastic cook, but I'm not and so it's really difficult.

I've just made a new start at getting into it and hope we can work it out. Hubby has more or less retired now and he's doing a lot of the cooking, which is great, but his style is far away from anything macro. And he loves his meat. So, well known problem, but who has the answer?? I don't, at least not yet...

enjoy my photos: https://home.arcor.de/mossycat1/photographic_stroll.html

Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Phantom

For me, I have taken it slooooowwww. Switched from all the junk I was accustomed to eating and went with the whole grains, beans, rice, ect. Have lost 21#'s since Oct. Excercise is a main part for me. I'm not 100% Macrobiotic, but the philosophy has given me a whole new outlook.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I'm into the whole grains, and I love miso soup (I don't have it often enough), but I'm allergic to exercise - it makes me sweat.

But the eating habits of 55 years are hard to break. I still eat way too much animal (although the portions are significantly smaller than they used to be), and I'm terribly fond of potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant... And Mrs. Dawg does most of the cooking...

The philosophy is so much more than just food, it extends into everything from physics to politics. It's just been the last couple of years that I've realized that this is a big reason why I've been politically "non-aligned" for more than 20 years; an instinctive avoidance of the extremes.

But putting the philosophy to work in my daily food has proven to be far more difficult than I imagined it would be. That's why I started this thread - I want ideas. 90% of our carbohydrate intake is from whole grains and whole grain products (we bake our own bread now). What's the next step?

All you MB eaters - What do YOU eat for breakfast?

(And, O - who buys the food? )

I am
Dawg

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Denise Ross

Oatmeal with a little pure maple syrup or buckwheat or soba noodles with miso soup it is hard to get away from traditional foods like cereals and have soup for breakfast. I found my favorite thing is Kukicha and Bancha teas. There is a lot of experimentation involved too.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Candi

I agree eating habits are very hard to break when you don't have to break them. We've had some food sensitivities in our home for a while now. And the initial onslaught of that equated to cutting out nearly all processed foods. Plus cutting out a couple of other categories. For the past year or so I have not had to adhere to that and I'm really feeling the differnce. I'm trying really hard to get back to that but it is much more of a challenge now. I know, after years of eating, what will generally make me feel bad or good, and the macro talks about balance. Is there a book that talks about the specific yin and yang of different foods? I'm always up for trying new things. And the bancha teas? That is something I've been wanting to try, I want to see how it compares with the black, green and fruit teas we drink now. Where do you find it?
Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I'd suggest "The Macrobiotic Way" and "Macrobiotic Diet" by Michio Kushi (with his late wife, Avaline, on the latter). You might also enjoy "The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics" by Jessica Porter.

And I get my bancha tea at the local Asian grocery store. You might also try Kukicha (sp?) tea, which is true "twig" tea. It's got a different flavor, but I like it.

I am
Dawg

Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Candi

Thanks. I'll see what I can find. :-)
Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Ro83

Edit: Nevermind, I just found what I was searching for.

Last edited by Ro83; 10-16-2013 at 04:52 AM..
Ro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
ojai22

RICE, RICE, RICE

I tried the 10-day rice diet a few years ago, but got sidetracked. *I realize now that I didn't know enough about it to do it properly. *You need to understand more about yin and yang to see how it works in your body, and in the food you eat. *Reading the books isn't enough; you have to immerse yourself in them.

I've studied Krishnamurti's teachings for years and finally see something that I was overlooking. *I've always thought of the Oneness of the Creative Principle as having dual aspects - masculine and feminine - and men and women created in that exactness. *Now I see that we're talking about the same thing. *The Unique Principle with it's yin/yang is saying the same thing, just using different words. *Acidic/alkaline also works but only applies to the body.

I had not gone any farther with the m/f except perhaps cats are feminine and dogs are masculine - how many times have you heard that?! *That's actually saying that cats are yin and dogs are yang. *That makes it easier. So applying yin/yang to parts of the body and certain foods makes it simpler to understand for me as I wouldn't be able to apply masculine/feminine to them without getting somewhat confused. *That means I can bring the Creative Principle right into the workings of my body and the food I use as fuel. *

I've been studying for days as I ate the brown rice. *Understanding more but still have much to learn. I think I see more than I can say. *I know my mind is clearer than it was when I was eating chocolate and a bit of fruit. *

I can do this.

Last edited by ojai22; 10-17-2013 at 12:08 AM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
ojai22

The last few years I've been eating grains every day but didn't understand about the balance of Yin/Yang.

This is a difficult thing to learn. Half the time i don't know if I have the food right. The best way I can tell at the moment is how I feel after I eat.

I've only just started so I'll stop kicking myself now.

Last edited by ojai22; 11-07-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
ojai22

Last edited by ojai22; 06-25-2018 at 12:32 AM..
Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
ojai22

Hit the Farmer's Market a few days ago. *Got carried away. *Kept looking for upward veggies and downward veggies and round veggies. *And what group does this one belong to? *

Kept trying to remember what I had read but as always when you are learning something new your head is stuffed with more facts than you can sift through readily. *I have to keep reading these books over and over till I *understand it. *Just got The Macrobiotic Way but it has to wait it's turn.

As I left the Farmer's Market with enough veggies to feed a family of four, I reminded myself never to buy more than I can eat in a week. *

Last edited by ojai22; 11-06-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
ojai22

CONFUSION

There's a veggie dish that I've been making for years, *Carrots and turnips together. *Chop the carrots into bite-size pieces. *Put them in the pot with a small amount of water. *Let them cook about 2 minutes before you add the bite-size pieces of turnip. *About the time they're done the water should be gone as well. *Then I drizzle some olive oil on them and let them "fry" a minute longer. *Add salt and pepper and they're ready.

I was doing this again this week when I realized I was cooking 2 downward-growing veggies together. *And adding salt. *That's when it hit me --- I don't know what the heck I'm doing but this is wrong. Further, I don't know how to do it right.

I've always thought that meat was more Yang than veggies. *In one book I find a chart that lists drugs as the most Yin and salt as the most Yang. *In between those two are all the other groups and meat is lower on the scale than veggies. *In another book it says carbs are the most Yang compound there is, protein is less Yang, and fats are the most Yin. *If most meat without breading, etc. contains zero carbs how is it more Yang?

I'm confused enough; I don't need the books contradicting each other. Once I thought I was too Yin, then no, I was too Yang, actually it had to be Yin as I was expanding. *Right now it seems to me that all I'm doing here is:

CHRONICLING MY IGNORANCE!

Last edited by ojai22; 11-14-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

It's not necessarily wrong. You also need to put it in the context of everything else. Has it been cold? You'll eat more Yang. Have you been eating or drinking something else that is more Yin than Yang? You'll eat Yang - and don't forget that both these root vegetables have Yin characteristics, too - carrots are quite sweet, you know.

Salt is the most Yang, medications and sugar the most Yin. Broccoli is more Yang in the stem than in the flower. Some fats are more Yang than other fats...

Because everything unprocessed has both Yin and Yang characteristics, it can be difficult pegging exactly where on the scale it should go, particularly when you start putting the food into the context of the rest of the environment - including what's going on with you, internally and emotionally. Rough day? Very Yang, which is why a drink before dinner sits so well - very Yin.

I think the key is to go with what your body is telling you it needs. Does it need more Yang than Yin for dinner? Those are the nights that your carrots & turnips sound and taste the best.

That's what I think, anyway.

I am
Dawg

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
ojai22

How did you learn all of that? At the moment I don't think I've learned anything. Except that I'm probably overdoing it with the sodium. I love salty the way a diabetic loves sugar.

It's only been a couple of months so I'll just keep studying.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
How did you learn all of that? At the moment I don't think I've learned anything. Except that I'm probably overdoing it with the sodium. I love salty the way a diabetic loves sugar.

It's only been a couple of months so I'll just keep studying.
I've read and re-read. Confessions, The Macrobiotic Way, Hip Chick's Guide... I've also done a couple of web searches on specific issues.

Did you know that potatoes, despite being grown underground, are considered extreme Yin? It's because of the effect the alkaloid they contain has on us. It pulls calcium out of the bones and suspends it in the bloodstream. That's why we avoid Nightshade vegetables.

And don't ever lose that "I haven't learned anything yet" feeling. I feel the same way, all the time - and it helps motivate me to learn more.

I am
Dawg

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
ojai22

Dawg, something you said earlier about letting you body guide you. I think that is true, but you have to listen, and understand. I really like tempura but wouldn't dare try to make it. Thought it was too complicated, just too involved. A few days ago I suddenly wanted tempura. The feeling wouldn't go away. I looked up the recipe and saw the wheat flour which I don't use because of the gluten.

Normally I use garbonzo flour instead but didn't think it would work with this recipe. Still it's hanging in my mind like I've done it a million times. What could I do? LOL

I made the batter and got it right, I thought. Then cut the veggies, pick out the very small mushrooms. At the Farmer's Market I had found some carrots the size of my forearm. I didn't have to cut them on the diagonal, they were almost 3 inches in diameter! There was also cauliflower and broccoli, a few snap peas, large broccoli stems peeled, in rounds. What an array!

I did it. Deep-fried those babies. Made the dipping sauce with Tamari, water, and a small bit of grated ginger. Served it up with rice, bean salad, a forkful of sauerkraut, and something else but I've forgotten what. Perhaps it was greens. But it was the most satisfying meal I'd had in a long time. I could tell by how I felt that I had done it right. And it was my body that told me to do it.

Sometimes I think my body gets it right and my mind is going in the opposite direction!

Thanks for putting up with my growing pains, and for all your help.

Last edited by ojai22; 11-23-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
ojai22

I am in over my head. I had reached the place in my life where I was fed up with cooking. My meals, though mostly grains and veggies, were as simple as I could make them. A lot of dinners just a stir-fry. Or a sandwich and salad.

Suddenly I'm cooking several dishes for one person's dinner and using every pot in the kitchen. Is this Yin or Yang? Will this balance that? What kind of pickle? Where is my Nabe Pot? Hmmm, I'm almost out of Brown Rice Miso...

As soon as breakfast is over I start thinking about what I should have for dinner. Mentally checking what I have in the fridge. I plan which pressure cooker I want, search online for the large glass jars to store grain so I can throw out the plastic, decide which skillets I need....

If I think I may have made a mistake with the balancing act, I remember snatches of all the books I'm reading --- we eat our mistakes, it's only one meal, just keep going, you'll learn.

I'm so wrapped up in food - where to get it, how to cook it - I don't have much time for anything else. It's like a new life, but where did the old one go? Sometimes I think I should be exasperated by it all but I'm a bit too calm. (Most of the time.)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
ojai22

Okay, more on the carrots and turnips. When I started dinner tonight I saw I had both and thought to cook them together then changed my mind. Then I changed it again - why don't I figure out this thing. I found a small leek and some baby bok choy. Ah Ha! Two upward growing veggies and two downward growing veggies. So I cooked the carrots and turnips together, chopped the leek and put it in it's own pot. Then sliced the baby bok choy down the center and cooked it. Heated the rice and added salad and a forkful of sauerkraut.

The after dinner cup of tea put me over the top. A good and nourishing dinner.

I'm looking for an olive oil spray bottle so I can spritz both sides of the bok choy and bake it which would remove some of the water, instead of adding to it.