LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
ojai22

Default W

W. (1974)

Genre Action / Adventure

This high-octane fantasy actioner from the Philippines follows the hard-nosed man of action known as W2 (Anthony Alonzo), who climbs into a ferocious, armor-plated Chevy Camaro to take on the evildoers. W2's sadistic and wily enemy leads a terrorist army plotting a world takeover with the help of death-dealing vehicles reminiscent of the "Mad Max" milieu. Paul Vance, Joonee Gamboa also star. AKA: "W Is War." 93 min. Soundtrack: English.

Cast: Dave Morick Ken Lynch Mel Ferrer Peter Walker Twiggy Alfred Ryder Carmen Zapata Dirk Benedict Eugene Roche Gerald Di Pego James Kelly John Vernon Michael Conrad Mike Witney Ronald Shusett

https://www.moviesunlimited.com/w-1974/018619320822#
Old 09-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Flygirl
Erin

Default Re: W

Ummmmm... That's not right!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
ojai22

What isn't right? It's a link to W at Movies Unlimited. Doesn't it come up for you? If not, go to moviesunlimited.com and search for Dirk Benedict.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Is that the one where Twiggy is his spouse and he plays the violent husband ??? I think I've heard about that one before.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Flygirl
Erin

The description isn't right... "W is War"? The W one with Twiggy is different.

I like that movie. Wish Dirk was in it more though.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Flygirl
Erin

Weird that it has all the cast from the other movie but still lists Twiggy and Dirk in the cast... ?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Weird that it has all the cast from the other movie but still lists Twiggy and Dirk in the cast... ?

flyngirl, I had no idea there were two movies with that title. Sounds like Cahoots all over again. I've never seen W with Dirk, just heard about it so I thought this was it. I'll send a message to Movies Unlimited about their mistake. Glad I hadn't ordered it yet! Thanks for catching it.....
Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Is that the one where Twiggy is his spouse and he plays the violent husband ??? I think I've heard about that one before.

Yes, that's the one I thought was listed. I don't know anything else about the movie, so assumed they had it right. Lots of mistakes on the internet. Or are they doing it deliberately? Perhaps just carelessly.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Flygirl
Erin

Very careless, and unfair to customers... I'm glad you didn't order it too! Good idea to let moviesunlimited.com know so someone else doesn't go through the hassle.

I recently had a similar experience where I ordered an older DVD on Amazon and the seller neglected to mark that it was Region 2/PAL format. I guess I shouldn't have assumed it was Region 1/NTSC but it was Amazon and I didn't notice the seller was from the UK. Anyway I let them know the DVD was useless to me and they were very nice about it when they saw the information was missing from the product description. Refunded my money, too.

Now of course I can't find the title I want in the right format! You can buy it for peanuts on VHS. I knew I should have saved my old VCR for just this reason.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Started watching W last night. I'm not really into horror films, so I wasn't sure if I would like this one or not. I will finish my review when I finish the movie, but here's my review so far:

The acting regarding the paranoia is very good. As I recently went through some of this, I can tell you that seeing potential threats everywhere is very real. Having to explain fictitious gas leaks to the fire department and police at midnight isn't so funny. How the man protecting Twiggy from William didn't lose it, I have no idea. After three days of dealing with that kind of paranoia, I wanted out. I'm surprised he doesn't sleep with the gun or a baseball bat or a bottle of alcohol beside his bed. Why he didn't develop the same paranoia is something I will try to understand when I watch the rest of the movie.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Vballspieler
Dirkette

[QUOTE=flyngirl5;20307)
Now of course I can't find the title I want in the right format! You can buy it for peanuts on VHS. I knew I should have saved my old VCR for just this reason.[/QUOTE]

You know, you can still buy vcrs. We haven't left the dark ages yet.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Started watching W last night. I'm not really into horror films, so I wasn't sure if I would like this one or not. I will finish my review when I finish the movie, but here's my review so far:

The acting regarding the paranoia is very good. As I recently went through some of this, I can tell you that seeing potential threats everywhere is very real. Having to explain fictitious gas leaks to the fire department and police at midnight isn't so funny. How the man protecting Twiggy from William didn't lose it, I have no idea. After three days of dealing with that kind of paranoia, I wanted out. I'm surprised he doesn't sleep with the gun or a baseball bat or a bottle of alcohol beside his bed. Why he didn't develop the same paranoia is something I will try to understand when I watch the rest of the movie.
That sounds kind of creepy. I'm not into horror films either, but am okay with some closer to the "thriller" side of the spectrum, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the rest. Try not to give yourself nightmares.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:

"W" part II.
I finally got to watch the rest of the movie. It was more drama than horror (thank God).
William Caulder (a.k.a. Dirk) made an entrance into the movie later than I was expecting. His presence was there in the writings on the wall (literally), but you didn't see him until the latter part of the movie.
I'm disappointed in the ending. They could have added more time to the film to really play out the final scenes. I really wish the dialogue could be heard to give a better understanding of what happened and why.
No nightmares, LD. At least, not from the second half of the movie. The first half, though, is still a little too real for comfort. I was working on taxes. If I have any nightmares, I'll blame it on that.

I'm curious as to what you think of the movie. Do you have a vcr? I'll lend you my copy.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
"W" part II.
I finally got to watch the rest of the movie. It was more drama than horror (thank God).
William Caulder (a.k.a. Dirk) made an entrance into the movie later than I was expecting. His presence was there in the writings on the wall (literally), but you didn't see him until the latter part of the movie.
I'm disappointed in the ending. They could have added more time to the film to really play out the final scenes. I really wish the dialogue could be heard to give a better understanding of what happened and why.
No nightmares, LD. At least, not from the second half of the movie. The first half, though, is still a little too real for comfort. I was working on taxes. If I have any nightmares, I'll blame it on that.

I'm curious as to what you think of the movie. Do you have a vcr? I'll lend you my copy.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your review! I do happen to have a vcr
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 05-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Watched this movie last week and greatly enjoyed it. I'm going to be including some spoilers in my review, so I'll black out that text and indicate where it is so you can highlight it if you want to read.

- Fantastic suspense. You knew bad things were going to happen, but couldn't guess what and when. Watching a scene and knowing something will go sour eventually but having no idea when got me on the edge of my seat.
- Acting in this movie was superb. Twiggy seemed more like an actress than a model, and her character Katie was likable, as was Ben Lewis. They made sympathetic protagonists, but you didn't get so attached to them that the various sabotage scenes were hard to watch.
- Charles Jasper kept me guessing most of the movie; I couldn't figure out whether he was a good guy or not until the other characters knew.
- Fun Fact: John Vernon, who played Arnie Felson the lawyer, appeared in the A-Team episode "Labor Pains" as Ted Jarrett.
- Although Dirk wasn't seen much in the movie, he really made the most of his screen time. >His acting in the final scene was believable, manic, yet evoking pity. William Caulder was clearly psychotic, which made his extreme actions more understandable.<
- Something I realized after watching the movie was the significance of Katie's clay figure of William as a boy. >In the end of the movie, once she realizes she is strong enough to stand up to him and he no longer has power over her, he clearly acts like a child - controlled by his own irrational fear of losing the person who cares about him. His behavior throughout his history with Katie, although deplorable, doesn't simply come from a malicious nature, but from his mind's own confusion. Once Katie realizes this, she is able to not only face him, but to forgive him.<
- I really liked the ending. It gave closure where closure was needed, and it showed Katie's character development. >I liked the fact that there was still hope for William. Wonder what kind of diagnosis he'd get for his mental condition.<

The End.
- Brian Greene
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Nice review once again. Another movie I would like to see especially after reading your review.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

*Spoilers ahead*

*Seriously, there are spoilers*

Okay, so today I was thinking about why at the end of W, in spite of everything horrible William has done, you end up pitying him instead of condemning him. And, besides Dirk's chilling performance, the conclusion I came to is this: William is clearly a victim of his own mental imbalance. If he were violent toward Katie but protective of himself, he would be malicious and despicable. But in the end, we find out that he is so desperate to get Katie back that he has mutilated himself to accomplish his end. And when he comes to the conclusion that she hates him, he continues to hurt himself in the agony of despair. Katie sees that he is even more of a victim of himself than she was, and she ends up showing him compassion.

Well, there's one random thought for the day...
- Brian Greene