LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 1,206
Blog Entries: 19
Default Chopper One DVD?

Geez, been a while but saw this and thought I'd give y'all a heads-up:

https://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cho...-Planned/22397

Hope it happens because I've never found anything but a few shots of it here and there.
__________________
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ~ Joseph Campbell
ostarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin
 
John Pickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 1,608
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Hey! I know you!!

My goodness, kiddo - how you been?
__________________
See Dirk's appearance schedule here: Appearances

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
anneg1026
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 322
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

I have the Chopper One DVD set. It's a great show!
anneg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Watched the season of Chopper One. I really liked it. The producers did another series similar to it and it is one of my favorites from my childhood; it is also a police drama. The police officers scoop up victims and put them in the chopper to take them to the hospital. If this series were done today, they would be using backboards and neck braces on the victims before transporting them.

I like that Gil is the main pilot, but has a partner that can take over when necessary.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
The police officers scoop up victims and put them in the chopper to take them to the hospital. If this series were done today, they would be using backboards and neck braces on the victims before transporting them.
LOL! #politicallycorrectemergencyservices

Now I'm tempted to see if this is at my friendly neighborhood librario.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
LOL! #politicallycorrectemergencyservices

Now I'm tempted to see if this is at my friendly neighborhood librario.
We'll switch. You watch Chopper One and i'll watch Trench coat in Paradise.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,417
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Watched the season of Chopper One. I really liked it. The producers did another series similar to it and it is one of my favorites from my childhood; it is also a police drama. The police officers scoop up victims and put them in the chopper to take them to the hospital. If this series were done today, they would be using backboards and neck braces on the victims before transporting them.

I like that Gil is the main pilot, but has a partner that can take over when necessary.
I saw the first half of the season. I have to admit, when I saw the first episode I thought the story was hokey. (Maybe average for a 70s action show...) But I did get into it. Dirk is very good in this, and I love his character...

I might be biased. Do you think I'm biased?
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I saw the first half of the season. I have to admit, when I saw the first episode I thought the story was hokey. (Maybe average for a 70s action show...) But I did get into it. Dirk is very good in this, and I love his character...

I might be biased. Do you think I'm biased?
No, but then you need to experience windchills and snowstorms more.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
We'll switch. You watch Chopper One and i'll watch Trench coat in Paradise.
Deal.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Deal.
Do I need to send you the dvd?
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Do I need to send you the dvd?
If you want. As of this afternoon, I'm one step ahead of you.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

It's review time! (drumroll please)

I started out a little biased towards liking Chopper One because A) it was a birthday present and B) it had Dirk playing one of the main characters. But I was also biased towards being slightly skeptical because it was, after all, a one-season show, which any BSG or Firefly fan knows doesn't mean anything, but then again, sometimes it does. So here's my evaluation.

I think the main issue with Chopper One staying on the air (yes, that was totally intentional) may have been the fact that the first few episodes seemed like they were written amidst heavy turbulence. Although the pilot was cute, the Pilot was a little slow, with some cliche dialogue and a mediocre plot (can you tell I'm enjoying myself? ).

However, after the first couple episodes, the plots and pacing improved, and Gil and Don developed some interest to their characters in addition to their good looks. The plots got more interesting and creative as they went along, and even threw in some unpredictable elements later on, especially in the episode with the doctor and the last episode (as opposed to, SPOILERS, when I knew the baby would be born in the back of the chopper and I knew Don would have to land the chopper).

The supporting characters (Mitch and the Captain) were generally likeable, although the LAPD would probably be a little more hard-boiled in real life. Don and Gil were great characters and had a good relationship, as they were partners and friends, but still with a sense of Don being a mentor to Gil. I appreciate the fact that Jim McMullan's acting was also enjoyable to watch, and he was decently good looking. I also find it hard to believe that Dirk was 19-20 during Chopper One. Maybe it's partly because he's tall and muscular, but he looks at least 23 or 25. And then, thanks to macrobiotics and co., he looked young from his 30s onward. Some people have all the luck.

Fun fact: Lloyd Bochner, who appeared in BSG as Commandant Leiter and in the A-Team "Beverly Hills Assault" as Steffan Shawn, appears in the Chopper One episode "Killing Time" as the villain called Pike. Also in that episode is Frank Marth as Sanford, who appeared in BSG "Greetings from Earth" as Mr. Moreland.

Not sure I want to come down hard with a favorite episode, but I really liked "The Hijacking" (or "The Hijacker"? It aired as "The Scramble," which is different from the DVD) because not only does Gil ride in a motorcycle race, but Ginger is a great character, and I could totally see her and Gil together.

To sum up, I think the show could have succeeded if the writing and editing had been a little more crisp and if it could have run for a few more episodes at least. The acting was good, the premise was good, and there was still a lot of territory left to explore. Overall, I enjoyed the show, and since there is no more of it, I may quite possibly be driven to writing fanfic, or at least finding some to read.

Update: Apparently there is no Chopper One fanfic on FanFiction.net. Zero. Zilch. Nada. This cannot be. Who ya gonna call? ... Ludlum's Daughter.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene

Last edited by Ludlum'sDaughter14; 05-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Messed up the facts, which is taboo when discussing a cop show - "just the facts, ma'am."
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
It's review time! (drumroll please)

I started out a little biased towards liking Chopper One because A) it was a birthday present and B) it had Dirk playing one of the main characters. But I was also biased towards being slightly skeptical because it was, after all, a one-season show, which any BSG or Firefly fan knows doesn't mean anything, but then again, sometimes it does. So here's my evaluation.
I really wasn't trying to influence your review. After all, it wasn't the only DB movie in the box. I really liked it, so i thought you would, too.

Quote:
I think the main issue with Chopper One staying on the air (yes, that was totally intentional) may have been the fact that the first few episodes seemed like they were written amidst heavy turbulence. Although the pilot was cute, the Pilot was a little slow, with some cliche dialogue and a mediocre plot (can you tell I'm enjoying myself? ).

However, after the first couple episodes, the plots and pacing improved, and Gil and Don developed some interest to their characters in addition to their good looks. The plots got more interesting and creative as they went along, and even threw in some unpredictable elements later on, especially in the episode with the doctor and the last episode (as opposed to, SPOILERS, when I knew the baby would be born in the back of the chopper and I knew Don would have to land the chopper).

The supporting characters (Mitch and the Captain) were generally likeable, although the LAPD would probably be a little more hard-boiled in real life. Don and Gil were great characters and had a good relationship, as they were partners and friends, but still with a sense of Don being a mentor to Gil. I appreciate the fact that Jim McMullan's acting was also enjoyable to watch, and he was decently good looking. I also find it hard to believe that Dirk was 19-20 during Chopper One. Maybe it's partly because he's tall and muscular, but he looks at least 23 or 25. And then, thanks to macrobiotics and co., he looked young from his 30s onward. Some people have all the luck.

Fun fact: Lloyd Bochner, who appeared in BSG as Commandant Leiter and in the A-Team "Beverly Hills Assault" as Steffan Shawn, appears in the Chopper One episode "Killing Time" as the villain called Pike. Also in that episode is Frank Marth as Sanford, who appeared in BSG "Greetings from Earth" as Mr. Moreland.

Not sure I want to come down hard with a favorite episode, but I really liked "The Hijacking" (or "The Hijacker"? It aired as "The Scramble," which is different from the DVD) because not only does Gil ride in a motorcycle race, but Rissa is a great character, and I could totally see her and Gil together.

To sum up, I think the show could have succeeded if the writing and editing had been a little more crisp and if it could have run for a few more episodes at least. The acting was good, the premise was good, and there was still a lot of territory left to explore. Overall, I enjoyed the show, and since there is no more of it, I may quite possibly be driven to writing fanfic, or at least finding some to read.

Update: Apparently there is no Chopper One fanfic on FanFiction.net. Zero. Zilch. Nada. This cannot be. Who ya gonna call? ... Ludlum's Daughter.
I was going to say, "i can't wait!" but i can as you have other priorities before writing fanfiction. Just let us know when Don and Gil fly again.

Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:56 AM   #14
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,788
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Well LD now you got me not only really wanting to see Chopper One, but also read about it. I'm sure you'll keep us posted.
BTW I already had fun reading your review of the show
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Just thought I would clarify that a while ago, it came to me that I'd done my mental math incorrectly. The reason Dirk looks older than 20 is because he *is* older than 20. My mental search results came up with the year '54 instead of '45. Everything makes sense now. So much more sense. It's amazing how much better college and multiple movies fit into a timeline when you add nine years.

Also, never tell people you're going to do this or that creative project, because if you're like me, you will automatically become 90% less motivated to do said creative project. In other words, regarding Chopper One fanfic, I know what I said, but I also know that the muse ain't talking (except in standard Colonial speech, but that's another story... literally. You can check it out if you feel so inclined ). One promise I can make: if I do become motivated to dedicate time and energy to getting the Chopper One propellers spinning again, you'll be the first to know.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,417
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Also, never tell people you're going to do this or that creative project, because if you're like me, you will automatically become 90% less motivated to do said creative project. In other words, regarding Chopper One fanfic, I know what I said, but I also know that the muse ain't talking (except in standard Colonial speech, but that's another story... literally. You can check it out if you feel so inclined ). One promise I can make: if I do become motivated to dedicate time and energy to getting the Chopper One propellers spinning again, you'll be the first to know.
I think we will have to give you a pass, new internship and all!

Speaking of the muse, I am LOVING RoS!!! Just caught up with the latest. I still want to leave you feedback on the FF site but I keep forgetting. Or rather, I stay up reading the chapter until I realize it's late and I still haven't put the kids to bed. LOL
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I think we will have to give you a pass, new internship and all!

Speaking of the muse, I am LOVING RoS!!! Just caught up with the latest. I still want to leave you feedback on the FF site but I keep forgetting. Or rather, I stay up reading the chapter until I realize it's late and I still haven't put the kids to bed. LOL
Yeah, I have a few things on my mind at the moment, so I'll take that pass.

Aww, thanks! That makes me happy.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Also, never tell people you're going to do this or that creative project, because if you're like me, you will automatically become 90% less motivated to do said creative project. In other words, regarding Chopper One fanfic, I know what I said, but I also know that the muse ain't talking (except in standard Colonial speech, but that's another story... literally. You can check it out if you feel so inclined ). One promise I can make: if I do become motivated to dedicate time and energy to getting the Chopper One propellers spinning again, you'll be the first to know.
You would be the first to tell me that it was OK to not get to something I promised to do. I will also give you a pass. Someday when the muse strike, I would love to read about the new adventures of Gil.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 1,086
Blog Entries: 37
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
You would be the first to tell me that it was OK to not get to something I promised to do. I will also give you a pass. Someday when the muse strike, I would love to read about the new adventures of Gil.
Ah, I see I've got a rep with you now. Thanks for the pass, and when that day comes, I will be very happy to get your expert input.
__________________
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,299
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Chopper One DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Ah, I see I've got a rep with you now. Thanks for the pass, and when that day comes, I will be very happy to get your expert input.
I love reading fan fiction. If I can contribute, I would love to. Writing is not something I do. I am creative in other ways.
(And that includes having some fun).
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Contact Us - Dirk Benedict Central - Archive - Top
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

©2007-2021 DirkBenedictCentral.com
Webmaster- John Pickard