LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Cruises and Conventions

Cruises and Conventions Here we can discuss Dirk and his appearances on little boats and large show rooms!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #51
Wim

Default Re: Kansas City, Here I Come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Haha!! We aim to entertain.

We should all take video whenever we go to a convention. Then create a DBC montage... It could be part of Dirk's next Christmas present.
That would be a great idea!
I have some footage, recorded by my nephew on his cellphone, while Dirk signed his book. Unfortunately the quality is bad and you cannot hear anything he is saying.

About meeting Dirk, I am not a lady , but here is my story:
(It is a long one, but I hope you find it entertaining)

The story begins last year somewhere. I was cleaning out a cabinet and found some old pictures. I thought back about how I had gotten them. I think I was about 8 years old. At that time my aunt showed me you can find addresses of tv stars an a gossip magazine. Every week they published 3 addresses. So I started writing a few letters with the help of my aunt. A while later I received autographed pictures of Tom Selleck and Julie Andrews.
Later that evening I was having dinner and thought about writing such letter again. If I was going to write, who would I write to. And Dirk Benedict came to my mind. If found an address on the internet and sent the letter. A while later I received it back … -Return to Sender- “REFUSED”.
Bummer I thought, but I got intrigued as to why my letter had been refused. I started browsing the internet and read that Dirk had written two books. I had no idea he had written books, so I read the summaries. The first one did not interest me, but the second one did and I ordered it online. Took me two evenings to read it. WOW! Great book!
So now I had gotten really interested in Dirk. Trivia freak that I am, I had a few questions about the book, so I stumbled into the “Dirk Benedict Central” for the first time, to have a look at his appearances. Ok, he was coming to Germany in the summer of 2017, but that would be too far a drive and too difficult to arrange with the wife and kids. Anyway I gave up on meeting him.
Then somewhere in February 2017 I accidentally read that he was attending the commicon in Brussels in two weeks, not even one Km from where I live! So I asked my nephew if he wanted to go with me (he is a soundtrack lover and trekkie) since we had never been to a commiccon before. I bought tickets for the photo booth, and took the book with me for signing. I did not get my hopes up too high though! If there was going to be a line with too many people, I would not bother. At least I would see him from short distance I thought.

So here is what happened:
We arrived at 10.00 and Dirk was supposed to go on stage for a Q&A at 12.00, the photo booth was at 13.00. I told my nephew I wanted to check out the lines at the signing tables and if the line was not too long, I would wait for an autograph in his book. Actually this seemed to be a very small commiccon compared to the images I see from the ones in the big cities in the US or UK. The main star there was Sam Jones (Flash Gordon). I felt somewhat sorry for him, because they put him at a separate table to give more space for people to line up and there was no one lining up at all. Instead there were about 25 people standing in line to get an autograph of Dirk, but I thought, well this will take about half an hour max, so I got in line. Met some nice people in the line too. One lady told me she went to the London commiccon every year and once had to stand in line for three days to get an autograph of Richard Dean Anderson. Then came my first surprise!
I was carrying the book and while Dirk was signing for the lady in front of me he looked up and saw his book. “Hey, this Guy has got my book” he cried out. He quickly focused on the lady in front of me again. Dirk is very attentive and considerate! When it was my turn we talked for about ten minutes about the book, while the line behind me was growing rapidly. I was ecstatic! We talked about Taylor Gordon who sang at his father’s funeral. He asked me if I read his autobiography.(which I did not) He had had plans to make a movie of it, but that did not work out. After the ten minutes I started feeling sorry for the people behind me, so I slowly stepped away backwards, trying to close the conversation. Dirk really likes to talk!
So my day was already a success!
Then came the Q&A. My nephew and myself had nothing to do, so we already went to the stage and have a drink. There was nobody there so we positioned ourselves right in front of the stage. When Dirk came he was introduced and the first thing he said was that he was feeling a little bit uncomfortable because he had not smoked a cigar for two days. Now I happened to have two cigars with me for the photo booth (I am a cigar fan) and in a reflex I took one out, called out to Dirk and gave him the cigar. So now he starts talking about it, how he decided in a conversation with Tom Selleck that the Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Madura was the best price/quality cigar and so on. (for the record it was not a double chateau maduro) Again cigars was something I wanted to talk to Dirk about, so again this worked out fantastic. Got to ask question about Big Brother UK too, but he did not go into that to far because most of the audience had not seen it. (Again an example of Dirk being considerate!)
Then came the photo booth shoot. I was standing in line with about thirty people in front of me. In the end you had to go in to sort of a waiting room from where you could already see the pictures being taken. He was just going on pic with some guy when the whole system went down and they had to reboot or something. There was just the guy standing with Dirk and one lady in front of me. So Dirk starts looking around and he notices me, walks right by the lady and begins a conversation with me on Big Brother! Again we talked for five minutes (which seemed like fifteen to me  )
Then it is my turn. I ask him if he still had his cigar. “oh yes, it’s in my bag”. We go over to his bag and he takes out a plastic bag in which previously he had his breakfast nuts and seeds. So the cigar was all humid and had some damage. He looked so sorry (as did I) so I gave him mine. Finally we posed together with the cigar. He was not happy with the first one (too posed), so he told the photographer he wanted a second one.
So that was it. I could go further into detail but I guess you all "get the picture"?
Now after that I did read his first book (and loved it even so) and read the Taylor Gordon biography (and yes I believe it would make a great movie! It gave me a totally new vision on racism) I started really to dig into Dirk’s life and researched him in every possible way. That is how I came to join the forum and meet all you lovely people. I have been watching a lot of Dirk on youtube. And this confirms that Dirk likes to talk, often telling the same stories (a performance on its own, because he always does it with the same enthusiasm over and over again), he is in my opinion extremely intelligent (although I do not share all his opinions), of course versatile (he sometimes says he is not perfect at anything but good at everything), always funny, considerate, professional (he has the gift to read what a fan wants and how far he can go) very open about some private stuff, but extremely closed to other private stuff. (he frequently starts telling a story, realizes he is telling too much and does not finish it) He is a business man, but not greedy.(if you read between the lines you can detect it)
Anyway when you read a book and you love it, they say that is because you can relate to is or find something of yourself in it. There are a lot of things I can relate to with Dirk Benedict and I would love to "meet" him again. The signature and the picture are great, but as someone said it is not about the picture or signature, it is about the moment of contact. I confirm!

Last edited by Wim; 04-19-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #52
Michele Ann
Dirkette

OMG, Wim, you're telling my story. Well, a good start of it. How it began for me. A letter refused and finding out he didn't take fan mail anymore. I discovered that by finding this site. You sound a lot like me. I even smoked one of my dad's cigars once. LOL. I don't smoke them really though.

But I was determined to get that letter to Dirk so I kept trying and so I found the appearance schedule and well I told that story. But I'm still determined.

I will meet my childhood hero. I just don't want to freeze up when I do and end up saying nothing. Would love to talk to you more, Wim.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #53
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Hi Wim. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with the rest of us. I loved reading it and I bet it was a fun experience for you and your nephew as well.
I am going to the con in Germany this summer (I'm flying out there not driving as it is indeed too far for me to) to meet Dirk in 'real life' for the very first time. I'm both excited and a little nervous too ... But reading about the awesome experience you had, I don't think I'll be nervous anymore.
And we're very happy you joined up and we got to meet you too
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #54
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
I will meet my childhood hero. I just don't want to freeze up when I do and end up saying nothing. Would love to talk to you more, Wim.
Yes you will !!!! Absolutely And I'm sure the other lovely Dirkettes present will make sure you don't freeze up. That's what I'm afraid of too, you know.

LOL. We were talking to Wim at the same time, but you beat me to it
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #55
Wim

Quote:
OMG, Wim, you're telling my story. Well, a good start of it. How it began for me. A letter refused and finding out he didn't take fan mail anymore. I discovered that by finding this site. You sound a lot like me. I even smoked one of my dad's cigars once. LOL. I don't smoke them really though.

But I was determined to get that letter to Dirk so I kept trying and so I found the appearance schedule and well I told that story. But I'm still determined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Hi Wim. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with the rest of us. I loved reading it and I bet it was a fun experience for you and your nephew as well.
I am going to the con in Germany this summer (I'm flying out there not driving as it is indeed too far for me to) to meet Dirk in 'real life' for the very first time. I'm both excited and a little nervous too ... But reading about the awesome experience you had, I don't think I'll be nervous anymore.
And we're very happy you joined up and we got to meet you too
LOL! Wow Michele Ann, I also discovered it through this site
As for meeting him my advice would be to prepare a few good questions (not the questions they always ask) If you manage to ask one, I am sure he will start talking, not wanting to stop
Dirk also said it would be the last time he was in Belgium, which made me feel a little sad, so good you go to Germany LittleMonkeyDog!
I am not the expert, but it is my feeling that if you are going to perform your "Dirkette Special" Dirk will absolutely love it and take the appropriate time to thank you and talk to you so that when you leave you will feel it has been a succes!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #56
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Hi Wim. That's quite a story. He touches so many people just by being himself. That's why we tried to make his birthdays and holidays special.
Hopefully, we can add another chapter to this story after the conventions this summer.
Now, I know why you want to see what happens in KC. Lol.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
Flygirl
Erin

Wim, that was awesome! Thanks for sharing... I especially like this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
I was carrying the book and while Dirk was signing for the lady in front of me he looked up and saw his book. “Hey, this Guy has got my book” he cried out. He quickly focused on the lady in front of me again. Dirk is very attentive and considerate! When it was my turn we talked for about ten minutes about the book, while the line behind me was growing rapidly.
That pretty much sums up my one experience meeting Dirk. There was a huge line to get to see him. His spotlight panel was the best. Other convention goers agreed - his was by far the most entertaining. I also met some really nice guys in line. Even before I got to the front of the line, he saw me and exclaimed, "hey, she brought my book!" So, very similar experience! Then he chatted with me for a while (and the line got a bit longer).

I say "chatted with me" as if I was participating intelligently to the conversation and not trying to keep myself from blushing and giggling too much.

Dirk has such a charming appeal to fans. I think he's almost always in a good mood -- and his enthusiasm is catchy. I got a signed book, signed photo, and had my picture taken with Dirk. But yes - the best thing I took from the day was a great memory!
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #58
InACupFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Yes. Once. In California.
Not sure if he would remember me. Sometimes I hope not as I've changed since then.

Where are you from? I'm driving to this one. Hoping to get back to Europe to see him there . . .and connect with the other Dirkettes. It all depends on work.
I'm in AZ. I would absolutely LOVE to meet him (and Dwight - together would be phenomenal) but I don't have my hopes up.

I loved reading all of your stories. Congrats to those who have met Dirk and fingers crossed for those still trying.
InACupFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #59
InACupFool

Oh! If anyone is interested, there's a youtube video of his q&a in Phoenix from Nov 2015. (I literally found out he had been here 20 days too late.)

Anyway, it's a good video and the end is funny! He talks about finding out about his first son and how his son found out who he was.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #60
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by InACupFool View Post
Oh! If anyone is interested, there's a youtube video of his q&a in Phoenix from Nov 2015. (I literally found out he had been here 20 days too late.)

Anyway, it's a good video and the end is funny! He talks about finding out about his first son and how his son found out who he was.
Flyngirl5 told me about that one! This is the one where he tells hist Belgian dandelion story
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #61
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Flyngirl5 told me about that one! This is the one where he tells hist Belgian dandelion story
That's right! I LOVE that story. It's hilarious
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #62
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:

It sure is funny
I do hope you'll get to meet him one day too.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #63
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:

You're in AZ??!! Me too! Are you in the valley?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #64
Michele Ann
Dirkette

I didn't know you were, like, a total valley girl, FG?

Oh, my, God, that's totally bitchin'.

But snakes....Gag me with a spoon!!!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #65
InACupFool

Quote:
You're in AZ??!! Me too! Are you in the valley?
Yes! N Phx. You?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #66
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Yes! N Phx. You?
Wow!!! I work in north Phoenix and live in the west valley. My work is right off 17 at 101! Small world, huh??
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #67
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I didn't know you were, like, a total valley girl, FG?

Oh, my, God, that's totally bitchin'.

But snakes....Gag me with a spoon!!!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #68
InACupFool

Quote:
Wow!!! I work in north Phoenix and live in the west valley. My work is right off 17 at 101! Small world, huh??
It is a small world (now the song is going through my head - AUGH!). I'm only 10-15 min from your work.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #69
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
It is a small world (now the song is going through my head - AUGH!).
You're welcome! Haha...

We need to get together sometime. Let me tell you about a little something I like to call, "Drinks with Dirkettes".

Hmm. You've heard of Dances with Wolves? I think I just found my Sioux name...
Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #70
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
You're welcome! Haha...

We need to get together sometime. Let me tell you about a little something I like to call, "Drinks with Dirkettes".

How about beginning of June when we meet up? Meeting two Dirkettes wouldn't be a problem, would it?
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #71
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
How about beginning of June when we meet up? Meeting two Dirkettes wouldn't be a problem, would it?
Absolutely!!! The more, the Dirkettier!!! Yep, I'm just making up words now.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #72
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Quote:
You're welcome! Haha...

Oh, goodness. Too funny. The Desert Dirkette has a native name now too. Drinks with Dirkettes. LOL
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #73
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Oh, goodness. Too funny. The Desert Dirkette has a native name now too. Drinks with Dirkettes. LOL
Good morning to you, Skypes with Sistahs!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #74
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Quote:
Good morning to you, Skypes with Sistahs!
LOL
I had this boyfriend who told me I had so much makeup on all the bathroom shelves that if I had a native name it would be Taker of Flat Surfaces.

And what of the other Dirkettes?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #75
InACupFool

Quote:
You're welcome! Haha...

LOVE it and I'm in!!