LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #51
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: Dirk Q&A #1 - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
Thank you! that really means a lot to me. I haven't portrayed them fighting yet, but I feel like that that kind of behaviour just doesn't fit. The only time Face and Murdock fought was in family reunion. In the show it's mostly Face getting exasperated and Murdock finding another victim. I'm currently writing a tag chapter to the pucker factor. Featuring a massive hangover, the obstacle course of death and a new bird for Murdock.

You know it would be awesome if Dirk ever read anything I wrote, but also really REALLY scary.
I think you're right. Neither of them likes to create real conflict or has much of a reason to with the other. Murdock argues with BA when BA won't let him be his crazy self, and Face argues with Hannibal when he thinks something's unfair or Hannibal makes him do something he doesn't want to, but Face and Murdock just get annoyed with each other now and then.

That sounds like a fun chapter! Looking forward to reading it.

I feel the exact same way. It could be either the best or the worst thing ever haha. You've put so much of yourself into the story that it means a lot to you, but at the same time your own thoughts, feelings, and potential weaknesses are much easier to see in written form. And there's always that fear that if someone reads it, they'll only see the negatives, or they'll understand things about you that you didn't really want to reveal. Showing your writing to someone whose opinion is very important to you is one of the most vulnerable things a person can do, I think.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #52
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
I really like writing them as brothers/BFFs.
Yeah, me too.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #53
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Their personalities complement each other well. It's like they're the brothers they never had. I like the way you portray them in your writing.
Yes they do and I always saw them as brothers too. I agree with LD on this Nance. I also like the way you portray them in your stories.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #54
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Thank you! that really means a lot to me. I haven't portrayed them fighting yet, but I feel like that that kind of behaviour just doesn't fit. The only time Face and Murdock fought was in family reunion. In the show it's mostly Face getting exasperated and Murdock finding another victim. I'm currently writing a tag chapter to the pucker factor. Featuring a massive hangover, the obstacle course of death and a new bird for Murdock.

You know it would be awesome if Dirk ever read anything I wrote, but also really REALLY scary.
I can't do that either. It just doesn't seem right. I so hated that fight in Family Reunion. It was really weird in my opinion. I mean they get annoyed with one another and bicker but fighting ... Nah, I don't like that. You are? Wow. Sounds great already. Can't wait to read it
Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #55
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Oh yeah ... I know the feeling
Old 11-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #56
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I feel the exact same way. It could be either the best or the worst thing ever haha. You've put so much of yourself into the story that it means a lot to you, but at the same time your own thoughts, feelings, and potential weaknesses are much easier to see in written form. And there's always that fear that if someone reads it, they'll only see the negatives, or they'll understand things about you that you didn't really want to reveal. Showing your writing to someone whose opinion is very important to you is one of the most vulnerable things a person can do, I think.
Okay, I think I need to clarify that I wasn't just thinking about Dirk when I wrote this. I don't show most of my writing to anyone I know, and I always go through the same mental process of weighing the potential pros and cons, and it usually ends up with deciding not to show anyone. Right now about the only people I would consider showing anything to are people in my family, and they already think I'm crazy and my interests are strange, so it's not worth opening up the possibility for more criticism. Anyway, that's where that rant came from.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 11-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #57
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I so hated that fight in Family Reunion. It was really weird in my opinion. I mean they get annoyed with one another and bicker but fighting ... Nah, I don't like that.
Yeah, it seemed a little unnatural, like there wasn't enough emotional tension building up to the fight. Of course, the whole episode walked an interesting tightrope of more serious material. Hard to fit a huge plot of Face potentially finding his father and sister into one 40-minute time slot. Maybe it would have been better as fanfic haha.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #58
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Okay, I think I need to clarify that I wasn't just thinking about Dirk when I wrote this. I don't show most of my writing to anyone I know, and I always go through the same mental process of weighing the potential pros and cons, and it usually ends up with deciding not to show anyone. Right now about the only people I would consider showing anything to are people in my family, and they already think I'm crazy and my interests are strange, so it's not worth opening up the possibility for more criticism. Anyway, that's where that rant came from.
I used to be like that too. I wrote stuff and hid it somewhere safe so nobody would read it. My family wasn't at all supportive of my writing. So I thought I was a bit of a 'nut' in a way ... Even after getting married and having kids, I still wrote but nobody was allowed to read it. My husband and son finally convinced me to let them read my stuff and post it on the internet afterwards. I'm glad I did. I finally found other people who do the same thing I've done most of my life. And I love their feedback too good or bad
Old 11-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #59
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Yeah, it seemed a little unnatural, like there wasn't enough emotional tension building up to the fight. Of course, the whole episode walked an interesting tightrope of more serious material. Hard to fit a huge plot of Face potentially finding his father and sister into one 40-minute time slot. Maybe it would have been better as fanfic haha.
Somehow I think they should have made this an episode in 2 parts (as well as Without reservations). I personally think they rushed that whole episode. Guess that's why I'm not such a big fan of season 5.
And I felt so sorry for Face finding and losing his father all in one episode
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #60
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I used to be like that too. I wrote stuff and hid it somewhere safe so nobody would read it. My family wasn't at all supportive of my writing. So I thought I was a bit of a 'nut' in a way ... Even after getting married and having kids, I still wrote but nobody was allowed to read it. My husband and son finally convinced me to let them read my stuff and post it on the internet afterwards. I'm glad I did. I finally found other people who do the same thing I've done most of my life. And I love their feedback too good or bad
Aw, so glad your husband and son are supportive of your writing. And I'm glad you did post it. It does make a difference once you find other writers and can support each other with feedback, since it confirms what you're doing is worthwhile.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #61
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Somehow I think they should have made this an episode in 2 parts (as well as Without reservations). I personally think they rushed that whole episode. Guess that's why I'm not such a big fan of season 5.
And I felt so sorry for Face finding and losing his father all in one episode
Yes, a double episode would have been nice for both of those. In Without Reservations the acting was good for the amount of time they had, but I wished the episode would have gotten inside Murdock's head even more to show what was at stake. Of course, since it didn't, I had fun making a music video to portray what Murdock was thinking, so it's not all bad. But there definitely should have been more about Face finding his father, even if it was only mentioned in a couple future episodes. The problem with season 5 was the team dealt with serious, life-changing situations but didn't react or change much. If a normal person went through all they went through, that person would either be somewhat traumatized or at least very different afterward.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #62
Flygirl
Erin

I felt like Without Reservations was maybe supposed to have a second part, and they decided not to do it... wasn't it actually the last episode that was made (although the "Grey Team" was the last that aired)? After Hannibal and B.A. rush Face to the hospital and Murdock lets loose on the guy who shot him... I really felt like the episode should have ended there; the next episode could have focused on Face fighting for his life in the hospital while Murdock struggled with feelings of guilt, then it ends just the way it did with Face coming home, and all is right again. Could have been a very poignant episode. Honestly I was OK with the series going in a new direction & getting a little more serious, but I guess I was the only one. I can see where Dirk and Dwight are coming from when they talk about how disjointed the 5th season was. Apparently they were just cycling through lousy writers at that point. But I really would have liked to see the series evolve into an action-drama in later seasons.

Maybe I *should* check out more fan fiction...
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #63
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Good for you. If writing is something you like to do, then i hope you continue.
If we were all created the same, then we would by Cylons; here to serve one purpose. Families are complicated. I don't know what else to say about them than that.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #64
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I felt like Without Reservations was maybe supposed to have a second part, and they decided not to do it... wasn't it actually the last episode that was made (although the "Grey Team" was the last that aired)? After Hannibal and B.A. rush Face to the hospital and Murdock lets loose on the guy who shot him... I really felt like the episode should have ended there; the next episode could have focused on Face fighting for his life in the hospital while Murdock struggled with feelings of guilt, then it ends just the way it did with Face coming home, and all is right again. Could have been a very poignant episode.
I agree. They should have had Face in the hospital, even if it took two episodes. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think so.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #65
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Yes, a double episode would have been nice for both of those. In Without Reservations the acting was good for the amount of time they had, but I wished the episode would have gotten inside Murdock's head even more to show what was at stake. Of course, since it didn't, I had fun making a music video to portray what Murdock was thinking, so it's not all bad. But there definitely should have been more about Face finding his father, even if it was only mentioned in a couple future episodes. The problem with season 5 was the team dealt with serious, life-changing situations but didn't react or change much. If a normal person went through all they went through, that person would either be somewhat traumatized or at least very different afterward.
Yes, I did like the acting a lot (especially Dirk's and Dwight's). You're right about getting more insight Murdock's head. You made a video? How cool! And I agree with you. There should have been more about Face finding his father and there should have been more reactions towards the serious situations.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #66
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
I felt like Without Reservations was maybe supposed to have a second part, and they decided not to do it... wasn't it actually the last episode that was made (although the "Grey Team" was the last that aired)? After Hannibal and B.A. rush Face to the hospital and Murdock lets loose on the guy who shot him... I really felt like the episode should have ended there; the next episode could have focused on Face fighting for his life in the hospital while Murdock struggled with feelings of guilt, then it ends just the way it did with Face coming home, and all is right again. Could have been a very poignant episode. Honestly I was OK with the series going in a new direction & getting a little more serious, but I guess I was the only one. I can see where Dirk and Dwight are coming from when they talk about how disjointed the 5th season was. Apparently they were just cycling through lousy writers at that point. But I really would have liked to see the series evolve into an action-drama in later seasons.
It did feel that way. I don't know why they never did that
I agree completely. I didn't mind the serious part that much, but it's like they never reacted towards the changes.
Oh no ... lousy writers. Must be hard to work with those.

Maybe I *should* check out more fan fiction...[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 AM   #67
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Maybe I *should* check out more fan fiction...
Forgot something ... I have written the part of Face in the hospital and Murdock feeling guilty about what happened to his best friend in FF
Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #68
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

Quote:
Yes they do and I always saw them as brothers too. I agree with LD on this Nance. I also like the way you portray them in your stories.
Thank you LMD!
I have put a lot of work in getting A-team canon, reality and my own interpretation of events into one big universe. I used the references in the show, the average time it takes to be promoted in the army and the real ages of the team members except BA/T. He would have been way too young to be a Sergeant in 1971. This meant that Face suddenly is older than both Murdock and BA. I think it's nice to see an older Face instead of the 18 year old boys most writers seem to prefer. Like war isn't traumatic for adult men.

I think the whole 5th season is't what it could have been. They should have kept the darker feel of the first season and not make it into a circus in the following seasons. When they finally went back to the darker parts in S5 they just went overboard.

BUT.... the 5th season also creates more space for the fanfiction writers to work in.

We are getting off topic again and it's not even my fault this time hahaha

Oh how I wish the chat worked. John?
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #69
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

Quote:
Forgot something ... I have written the part of Face in the hospital and Murdock feeling guilty about what happened to his best friend in FF
I'm totally going to check this out if I haven't already.
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #70
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Thank you LMD!
I have put a lot of work in getting A-team canon, reality and my own interpretation of events into one big universe. I used the references in the show, the average time it takes to be promoted in the army and the real ages of the team members except BA/T. He would have been way too young to be a Sergeant in 1971. This meant that Face suddenly is older than both Murdock and BA. I think it's nice to see an older Face instead of the 18 year old boys most writers seem to prefer. Like war isn't traumatic for adult men.

I think the whole 5th season is't what it could have been. They should have kept the darker feel of the first season and not make it into a circus in the following seasons. When they finally went back to the darker parts in S5 they just went overboard.

BUT.... the 5th season also creates more space for the fanfiction writers to work in.

We are getting off topic again and it's not even my fault this time hahaha

Oh how I wish the chat worked. John?
You've done a lot of research !! Nice !! I try to portray the guys (Face/Murdock/B.A) as about the same age and Hannibal the older leader. Face had been in college prior to joining the army so he must be over 18 (or he was a genius) ... You know I have to admit that I always thought Dirk was in his 20-ies when he played the part of Face. I have no idea why. And I also assumed he was the youngest and that T and Dwight were a couple of years older

I agree with you that the 5th season leaves us FF writers with lots of space.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #71
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
I'm totally going to check this out if I haven't already.
Quick remark. I've used lots of emotions for the team in that story. I guess that's because I'm an emotional person myself.
Thank God I never got to see this episode when I was a kid. I think I would have cried for weeks when they nearly killed my childhood hero. NowI can relate more towardss Murdock's feelings of anger towards the bad guys
Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #72
Flygirl
Erin

LMD - Where's your FF located?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #73
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
If we were all created the same, then we would by Cylons; here to serve one purpose.
Vballspieler -- I love this statement.

Oh, also -- thanks SOOOO much for asking the question about UK Celebrity Big Brother!!! I was really hoping someone would ask. I enjoyed watching that show a lot, but I really cringed sometimes when I thought of what they were going through... That red-headed woman... can't think of her name, but she was just plain irritating when she decided she was going to go after Dirk. I wanted to slap her...

I felt really bad for Shilpa, too, when the other girls were bullying her. I know how that feels.

Last edited by Flygirl; 11-29-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #74
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I know the actual age difference, but... What do you think the difference could have been between Hannibal and Face? I always thought of Hannibal as old enough to be Face's dad. Maybe because he always called him 'kid' and they had that sort of familial relationship. So if Face was, say, 40 in 1985... Hannibal would have been around 58 or 59... In my head, anyway. Strange stuff goes on in there.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #75
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Vballspieler -- I love this statement.

Oh, also -- thanks SOOOO much for asking the question about UK Celebrity Big Brother!!! I was really hoping someone would ask. I enjoyed watching that show a lot, but I really cringed sometimes when I thought of what they were going through... That red-headed woman... can't think of her name, but she was just plain irritating when she decided she was going to go after Dirk. I wanted to slap her...

I felt really bad for Shilpa, too, when the other girls were bullying her. I know how that feels.
Cleo was the red-head. I've dealt with many people like her and it usually takes a few extra smoke-breaks to get through the day. She likes to push limits and see how people will react.
I also see multiple sexual harassment investigations that would have taken place... and they are not fun to conduct.
The best was when they went "nowhere" outside the house.