LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Cruises and Conventions

Cruises and Conventions Here we can discuss Dirk and his appearances on little boats and large show rooms!

Old 03-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Talking What to expect at Comic Con

I was planning on going to Brühl, but the event got cancelled/postponed and so now I got my ticket to go to Comic Con in Stuttgart in July. I've never ever been to Comic Con before, so I don't know what to expect of it. Has anyone ever been there? What's it like? Do you need to bring stuff to get it signed or not? Or are you even allowed to bring something to sign? Are you allowed to take pics eg during the q&a or while waiting in line? Did anyone bring a gift? And ... what's it like to meet Dirk?
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: What to expect at Comic Con

It depends on the event. Sometimes you purchase tickets for pictures/autographs before going; sometimes you can decide at the event. I wold check the event website. Pictures are normally OK if you get permission beforehand. You can bring something to give as a gift. You can also bring something to be autographed if you like or decide to purchase something there. There is usually a place for food and beverages because most conventions are all-day events. The q&as are all different. It depends on how the convention center is set up and how big of a convention it is. VIPs usually get preferential treatment for seating in the q&as and access to the lines.

Meeting the celebrities: had a great time interacting with them. Some are more approachable than others. Expect a conversation with Dirk. He's very approachable. He responds to your questions/comments. It is an experience you will never forget, especially if you act like an idiot. (Er versteht Deutsch. So practice!)

Send pictures for the forum and facebook. We'll all enjoy!
If you need help with the German, remember to Skype. We're here to help
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
It depends on the event. Sometimes you purchase tickets for pictures/autographs before going; sometimes you can decide at the event. I wold check the event website. Pictures are normally OK if you get permission beforehand. You can bring something to give as a gift. You can also bring something to be autographed if you like or decide to purchase something there. There is usually a place for food and beverages because most conventions are all-day events. The q&as are all different. It depends on how the convention center is set up and how big of a convention it is. VIPs usually get preferential treatment for seating in the q&as and access to the lines.

Meeting the celebrities: had a great time interacting with them. Some are more approachable than others. Expect a conversation with Dirk. He's very approachable. He responds to your questions/comments. It is an experience you will never forget, especially if you act like an idiot. (Er versteht Deutsch. So practice!)

Send pictures for the forum and facebook. We'll all enjoy!
If you need help with the German, remember to Skype. We're here to help
Thanks so much I really appreciate this.

To act like an idiot won't be much of a problem for me I'm glad to hear he's very approachable and yes, we'll practice our German together before I go

I will send pics and let you guys know how it went.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog

One more thing that popped into my mind. I was brought up to be extremely polite to people I don't know and European people also tend to keep somewhat of a 'distance' with people they don't know very well ... American people are much more open in their communication with others (at least in my opinion).
The last thing I want to do is be disrespectful or anything like that, so how do we address him upon meeting him for the very first time? Either as Mr. Benedict or Dirk ???
Old 03-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
One more thing that popped into my mind. I was brought up to be extremely polite to people I don't know and European people also tend to keep somewhat of a 'distance' with people they don't know very well ... American people are much more open in their communication with others (at least in my opinion).
The last thing I want to do is be disrespectful or anything like that, so how do we address him upon meeting him for the very first time? Either as Mr. Benedict or Dirk ???
Yes.

You definitely want to address him. It's the best way to start a conversation.

LMD, address him in the way you feel most comfortable. "Mr. Benedict" is quite formal and never wrong, "Dirk" is less formal but if the atmosphere is right it's perfectly acceptable.

Be prepared to stand in line for just about everything, too.

And Vballspieler is right - just about everything depends on the event. I was at one that forbade any photography in the celebrity area (but I got one of Dirk anyway - shhhh); this is so that 1) you're not distracting or getting in the way and 2) photos become limited to the photo-ops being sold, which benefits both the celebrities and the event itself.

So when in doubt, ask somebody. They'll probably have lots of volunteers wandering the floor.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
Yes.

LMD, address him in the way you feel most comfortable. "Mr. Benedict" is quite formal and never wrong, "Dirk" is less formal but if the atmosphere is right it's perfectly acceptable.

Or no lines at all depending on the event.

You could always use "Herr Benedict" just to be different. I wouldn't recommend anything from Skype though.... I just don't know if we could explain it with a straight face.

I did formal Deutsch in Modesto (just to be respectful.) At 39 though, he is younger than I am....
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
anneg1026

Quote:
I was brought up to be very polite as well. If I met him I would say "Mr. Benedict" unless he invited me to use his first name
anneg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneg1026 View Post
I was brought up to be very polite as well. If I met him I would say "Mr. Benedict" unless he invited me to use his first name
Any Pride and Prejudice fans on here? If you've seen the original movie version, maybe you have an idea the voice I'd be tempted to say "Mr. Benedict" in before going into hysterics and demanding my smelling salts. Seriously tempted. I'm horrible.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Any Pride and Prejudice fans on here? If you've seen the original movie version, maybe you have an idea the voice I'd be tempted to say "Mr. Benedict" in before going into hysterics and demanding my smelling salts. Seriously tempted. I'm horrible.

If you use such a proper British tone you might remind him of Diana Rigg and scare the old country boy!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
Yes.

And Vballspieler is right - just about everything depends on the event. I was at one that forbade any photography in the celebrity area (but I got one of Dirk anyway - shhhh); this is so that 1) you're not distracting or getting in the way and 2) photos become limited to the photo-ops being sold, which benefits both the celebrities and the event itself.

So when in doubt, ask somebody. They'll probably have lots of volunteers wandering the floor.
Oh I will Thanks, John. I'll try to look for the right atmosphere or try to create it
Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Or no lines at all depending on the event.

You could always use "Herr Benedict" just to be different. I wouldn't recommend anything from Skype though.... I just don't know if we could explain it with a straight face.

I did formal Deutsch in Modesto (just to be respectful.) At 39 though, he is younger than I am....
Haha. I could do that or even go with Flemish (Meneer Benedict - LOL). He has lived in Belgium for a while after all Oh no no. Not gonna go there. I just know I won't be able too

LOL. The perfect age Just a tad younger ... I might work on creating the right atmosphere to go to more informal.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
OMG, LD. This is seriously hilarious
Don't scare him half to death
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Haha. I could do that or even go with Flemish (Meneer Benedict - LOL). He has lived in Belgium for a while after all Oh no no. Not gonna go there. I just know I won't be able too

LOL. The perfect age Just a tad younger ... I might work on creating the right atmosphere to go to more informal.
I think you should go with Flemish. You want to make an impression, right? Just practice. If this doesn't work, we'll come up with plan b.

(So wish I would be there to see this.)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
So, what convention are you doing this ar? I want to make sure my phone is fully charged when I observe this. I think just this is worth the price of a ticket!

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneg1026 View Post

As long as you don't call him 'SweetCakes' -- that one is mine.....
Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #16
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
And what does he call you? Lol
Old 03-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #17
ojai22

Quote:

Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
I think you should go with Flemish. You want to make an impression, right? Just practice. If this doesn't work, we'll come up with plan b.

(So wish I would be there to see this.)
Haha. Oh yup ... I'd like that I just might need your help
I wish you could be there too.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
So, what convention are you doing this ar? I want to make sure my phone is fully charged when I observe this. I think just this is worth the price of a ticket!

Oh yes please and make sure we can watch this too
Old 03-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #20
LittleMonkeyDog

That's a nice one ... but wouldn't want to steal yours. I'll need to come up with a good one too

I'm kinda curious to that one too
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
Michele Ann
Dirkette

My go to phrase for cuties is cuddle pumpkin. LOL. But I think I'll just say, Mr. Benedict.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
My go to phrase for cuties is cuddle pumpkin. LOL. But I think I'll just say, Mr. Benedict.
Aww, that's no fun.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
Wim

Quote:
I was planning on going to Brühl, but the event got cancelled/postponed and so now I got my ticket to go to Comic Con in Stuttgart in July. I've never ever been to Comic Con before, so I don't know what to expect of it. Has anyone ever been there? What's it like? Do you need to bring stuff to get it signed or not? Or are you even allowed to bring something to sign? Are you allowed to take pics eg during the q&a or while waiting in line? Did anyone bring a gift? And ... what's it like to meet Dirk?
Hi LittleMonkeyDog,

I just read Dirk will be at the Comiccon in Utrecht on 25 & 26th March!
As for a gift, well he likes cigars. These are his favorites:
La Gloria Cubana Churchill
Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Maduro
Cohiba Churchill Avo 3
However due to bad tobacco harvests the last few years, you will find it very difficult to buy them in Belgium!

Enjoy!
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi LittleMonkeyDog,

I just read Dirk will be at the Comiccon in Utrecht on 25 & 26th March!
As for a gift, well he likes cigars. These are his favorites:
La Gloria Cubana Churchill
Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Maduro
Cohiba Churchill Avo 3
However due to bad tobacco harvests the last few years, you will find it very difficult to buy them in Belgium!

Enjoy!
Hi Wim,

Thanks! I've read it too, but unfortunately I can't go I'll have to wait patiently until July I guess. Thanks so much for the gift ideas too. I really appreciate that
Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #25
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I guess most of us will have to wait until July.