LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
elainesteel

Default Just started my journey to Macro

Hi everyone,

Hope it's OK to post this here but I just wanted to share with people who will understand. It may be a bit long so appologies if it sends you to sleep!

Before Dirk did Big Brother over here I had never even heard of Macrobiotics. Oh, I knew (and loved!) Dirk as Face in the A Team but I never knew anything about him as a person and lost track of him after it went off the air. Then, he stepped into that Big Brother house and for me he stopped being Face from The A Team and became Dirk. I found this place, bought and read both his books, even caught up with a few other projects he had done since which I never knew about! I had the pleasure of meeting Dirk when he came over to the UK last year and after this I decided to investigate Macrobiotics a little further.

In April this year I went on holiday with my family and took 'Kamikaze Cowboy' along as I decided I needed to read it again. I don't advise anyone else to read it while watching your family guzzle 4 big tubs of ice cream over a week! It had such a profound effect on me this time I could hardly believe I had ever read it before. I felt I just had to actually do something about it this time and needless to say I did not join my family in their ice cream eating contest - I started saying NO (thankyou)!

A matter of weeks later I was off on holiday again, this time travelling round the West Coast of America with a couple of friends as we're all turning 40 this year. (Yikes - only one month left of my 30's!) I happened to be in LA when Dirk was doing an event at the same time so I went along to say Hi.

When I got home I finally decided I was going to start the transition to Macrobiotics. I have been cutting back and stopping all meat, dairy and sugar while introducing the whole grains, Miso, Bancha etc etc etc. I decided to go slowly so my body hopefully wouldn't go into too much of a state of shock! The sugar has been the killer, especially as there are sweets/biscuits/cakes constantly available within grabbing distance at the office! However, I've been determined and I'll reach for an apple instead if I think I'm going to cave. My family/friends are starting to expect me to 'bring my own' or asking what I can eat. My colleagues now know to make me my 'tree bark' tea rather than 'normal' tea, so I am getting there slowly. I know I've a way to go before I'll have the right to say I'm following Macro 100% properly but I'll get there.

The exciting thing for me and the real reason I decided to post was that I'm already seeing results. I got measured at CURVES and I've lost a total of 14 inches from around my body, 8lb in weight and 4% in body fat. People are noticing my weight loss, not that I'm doing it to loose weight as I don't think I was exactly overweight to begin with. I'm doing it to get healthy and it's obviously working.

Hopefully, I'll have the chance to thank Dirk in person one day, but for now I'll say it here. Thanks for writing your book(S!), thanks for doing Big Brother, thanks for showing me (and others!) that there is another way, thanks for being you. I raise my cup of 'bancha' and say cheers to you Dirk! Thanks!

Elaine.

"No one is going to save you, you have to save yourself. No one is going to give you anything, you have to go out and fight for it. No one knows what you want except you, and no one will be as sorry as you if you don't get it. So, don't give up your dreams!" - Barry Manilow
elainesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Default Re: Just started my journey to Macro

Welcome to "the club"! I came to MB much the same way, and it's still a "work in process". Weight loss is a nice benefit, but just feeling better overall is well worth the "sacrifice" of candy and pastry and a big thick steak (which doesn't even appeal to me any more ). But MB is much more than just the food - and I think that's what has helped me more than anything. Learning to deal with life via the MB philosophy has made everything maybe not easier - but better.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Sharon

Congratulations on sticking with it! I hope your new journey continues to be a positive one for you.
Keep us informed and we will "root" you on, lol! I think it's great when someone can make up their mind and stick with it.
Have a great day!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
elainesteel

Oh you're right, there are so many different aspects to MB. The more I learn, the more it blows my mind and the deeper my respect for Dirk becomes. At the moment, I'm starting to noitce all sorts of little 'changes' going on with me, so I'll stick with it and just see what happens. It's all got to be for the better in the end right!

Elaine.

"No one is going to save you, you have to save yourself. No one is going to give you anything, you have to go out and fight for it. No one knows what you want except you, and no one will be as sorry as you if you don't get it. So, don't give up your dreams!" - Barry Manilow
elainesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Woo hoo!
Thanks for sharing this. Hope you're getting weller!
Wow 14 inches loss!
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote