LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Battlestar Galactica Classic

Battlestar Galactica Classic For discussions about the classic Battlestar series which starred Dirk as the one and only "Starbuck". NO Ron Moore show posts here please.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default BSG vs. Firefly

Over Christmas I got to watch the first six or so episodes of Firefly for the first time. I was intrigued since, like BSG, it's a sci-fi show that ran for only one season but retains a cult following to this day. Just wondering if anyone who has seen both series has any thoughts on the similarities and/or differences between them, or even what influence BSG might have had on Firefly.

One thing I noticed was how Firefly picked up the "socialator" concept, making it not only an "honorable profession" but also a means for the crew of the Firefly to gain access to difficult places (or get out of them). Inara became an ambassador of sorts. This is reflective of a change of attitude in TV culture over time since in 1978 the network forced BSG to backtrack almost immediately (plus they wanted BSG to be more of a family show, while Firefly is more clearly adult sci-fi).

Also, it's fascinating how the worlds in Firefly blend multiple cultures - Old West, Oriental, and a sterile Communist-esque ruling regime - into one culture in which elements from each naturally coexist side-by-side. This is probably reflective of the fact that a world which had grown so much as to need to colonize other planets would probably have experienced significant globalization as people groups overcrowded their boundaries and intermixed.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: BSG vs. Firefly

I can't speak to the similarities or differences between the two as I saw them as completely different shows, though both were space shows. Firefly is my favorite sci-fi show of all time. I watched it so much at Netflix I finally bought it. Once or twice a year I have a marathon and watch all the eps. Sometimes just a particular episode, such as Out of Gas - that's my favorite and I can watch it endlessly. The one about the prostitutes isn't very good, imo.

The title of the first episode is Serenity, and has two parts. A few years after the series ended, fans finally talked Josh Whedan into making a Firefly movie. It's title is also Serenity. It clears up the mystery of the Reavers, who they are, and where they came from. You don't want to miss it.

You'll like the rest of the eps, LD, it's such a fun show to watch.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

They were completely different shows, each very much a product of its times, and very different methods of storytelling. About the only thing they had in common was the fact they were space-based.

Oh - and the fact network executives hate space-based sci-fi. They hated it in 1978, they hated it in 2002. Minute-for-minute, spaced-based sci-fi is more expensive to produce, so profit margins are lower. So they make a lot of noise producing it for the fans, then manipulate things so they can blame the fans for the failure, and write it off on their taxes - even if it is operating in the black...

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I would agree they're completely different shows; I think the one-season factor and the traveling, space-based setting were what grouped them together in my head. Also the Alliance reminded me a little of the Eastern Alliance, but it's still very different. Firefly is different from BSG and other sci-fi since technology goes more on the back burner. They still have advanced capabilities compared to today, but the characters rely a lot more on persuasion, improvising, and physical actions to solve problems versus other sci-fi universes (*cough cough* Star Trek).

Glad to hear you like it so much, Ojai. I'll look forward to watching some more when I get the time (and am a little less exhausted ). Yeah, the prostitutes episode seemed like the weakest one plot- and character-wise that I've seen, so I'm glad the rest of the episodes should be better.

Why do the network execs have to ruin everything for fans? Why can't someone be in the business for altruistic reasons? Money... can't live with it, can't live without it. (Actually, you can live surprisingly well without it; some people just don't know how because their priorities are drastically misaligned.)

The question is, if Firefly had continued for several more seasons, would Joss Whedon have gone on to do the Marvel Avengers movies?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
ojai22

I didn't see Firefly in it's first run but I've heard what happened. I think it was channel 13, or something like that, not a network like ABC, They ran the episodes out of order so no one could figure out what was going on, then they just cancelled it. Two or three of the eps hadn't been shown when it was cut from the lineup. How it was handled made no sense at all.

Now there is a show with some quotes ---LOL
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I didn't see Firefly in it's first run but I've heard what happened. I think it was channel 13, or something like that, not a network like ABC, They ran the episodes out of order so no one could figure out what was going on, then they just cancelled it. Two or three of the eps hadn't been shown when it was cut from the lineup. How it was handled made no sense at all.

Now there is a show with some quotes ---LOL
That's a shame. It would be very confusing to see the episodes out of order.

Just watched "Jaynestown," so "Out of Gas" is next on my list. I was giggling throughout the first half of the episode. Gotta love Jayne. Yes, there are definitely some great quotes.
- Brian Greene
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
ojai22

The last episode is interesting, too. "Does that seem right to you?"

And the ones about Mrs. Reynolds! She warmed up his bed while talking about plowing the furrow, and he was going to a special hell. I hope you've seen those already!

Now, I've talked myself into watching an episode or two.....
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
ojai22

Oh my, LD, I may have written too much. I thought you were watching them out of order, and if you have seen the one about the prostitutes, then you are. Here is the list that is on my DVD:

SERENITY Part one
SERENITY Part two
THE TRAIN JOB
BUSHWACKED
SHINDIG
SAFE
OUR MRS. REYNOLDS
JAYNESTOWN
OUT OF GAS
ARIEL
WAR STORIES
TRASH (Unaired)
THE MESSAGE (Unaired)
HEART OF GOLD (Unaired)
OBJECTS IN SPACE

I really liked the mixture of cultures, too, especially the Old West. With some Chinese thrown in!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
ojai22

LD, there are many Firefly panels from Cons over the years at YouTube. Here is one from 2014. It's much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rCNHVi0wRw

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I'll look forward to watching it as soon as I get some extra time. Kind of swamped with school and work right now - but enjoying both. Thanks for sharing!
- Brian Greene