LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Faline

Default Brown Rice?

Hi Everyone,

I'm not very good at eating what's best for me...but I am trying to incorporate more brown rice into my daily diet. I'm assuming not all brown rice is equal...so I was wondering if you would all share with me, what kind/brand/type of brown rice is your main choice for the majority of your meals? I have main grocery store chains primarily to shop at; there are a couple health food stores in the vicinity, but their prices are usually very high.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

ps: I should also mention that I'm not much of a cook

"I flirt with the world." ~DB, CBB5
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Candi

Default Re: Brown Rice?

I'm a bit of hit and miss cook. Some things I cook really well. New things tend to go badly. :-) But we eat brown rice at least once a day. We like Uncle Ben's brand. The front of the box says Whole Grain Fast & Natural Instant Brown Rice, cooks in 10 minutes. It tastes great, and they (Kroger where we live) have coupons pretty often. I also like the fast cooking time because we have a young son and its just not always possible to cook bagged rice that takes 45 minutes. Especially if we eat late.

I usually add just a little more water than the box says. 2 cups instead of the 1 3/4 for example. For extra flavor I put a little broccoli or chopped carrots in or substitute part of the water for a vegetable broth. My son is 3 and its his second favorite meal.
Hope that helps. :-)
Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

There is a recipe for cooking brown rice perfect every time. I got it from Food Network - Alton Brown's show "Good Eats" - it's simple, largely foolproof, and I'm here to tell you it works every time.

Pre-heat your oven to 375F. Put 1-1/2 cups of short (or medium) grain brown rice in an 8-inch casserole. Put 2-1/2 cups of water on to boil.

The recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter, but we've found a squirt of toasted sesame oil (maybe a teaspoon or so) works just fine instead.

Anyway, once the water boils pour it over the rice (we squirt the sesame oil into it as we pour in the water, that way it doesn't soak into just a few grains of rice), stir, and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour. After the hour remove, fluff with a fork, and serve.

We use short grain brown rice almost exclusively - it's very versatile and tastes great. We try to buy from a reputable source (or at least a brand name we recognize as quality), and organic when we can find it at a reasonable price. Lundgren's Farms, I think is a good brand on the west coast, as is Bob's Red Mill. I'd suggest checking out Whole Foods if you have one locally, or go into the health food stores and check out the brand names - you may find the same product in a more price-friendly outlet.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Faline

Thank you both Candi & Dawg for the helpful suggestions! They are very much appreciated! I shall add them to my budding cookbook. I was also thinking of getting the Rice is Nice book by Wendy Esko. Does anyone have this? I think she has a new one on the way early next year too, or it might be a revised edition of the Rice is Nice, not sure. I definitely want to start out with the basics and use the more readily available ingredients.

"I flirt with the world." ~DB, CBB5

Last edited by Faline; 09-28-2010 at 05:04 PM..
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote