View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Flygirl
Erin

Default Re: Face, Unrealistic Expectations, and Life (...that should just about cover it)

I very much enjoyed this rant (yes, I did make it all the way through to the end!) And not just because it is in stark contrast to the political rants I've been posting on Facebook lately... *Ahem* The concept of the perfect mate/friend/family member resonates with me, but from the other perspective. I tend to be more comfortable around imperfect people. I think it's because it took me a long time to get comfortable with my wildly imperfect self, and eventually I came to embrace the crazy, common-senseless, hot-headed, forgetful, tactless and obsessively passionate person that I am. So I try to help others do the same. But - maybe because of this - I have a hard time with people who demand perfection. I like imperfection in my TV & movie characters, too. I actually disagree about Face (or even Starbuck) being in any way "perfect". In terms of physical attractiveness, sure. But they were supremely flawed guys and that was part of the attraction for me. Maybe most of it.

Perfection doesn't exist, and if it did, it would be hella boring. I think most of us get disappointed with ourselves when we don't live up to our own high expectations. The most "real" people, to me, are ones who can admit and own their flaws and shortcomings, even if it's difficult, and are all the more accepting of flaws in others. The people who have such high standards for others that they can't stay in a relationship for any length of time... Well I guess I should feel sorry for people like that, but I don't. We put enough stress on ourselves without someone constantly making us prove we're good enough. A relationship - whether romantic or otherwise - should always be ugly and honest. Which means you have good days and bad days. You have days when you're angry as hell. But I don't believe I would ever make someone I care about feel that s/he isn't "good enough" for me. I think doing so is a sign you haven't dealt with your own demons yet...
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote