View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: Depression and Mental Health

Here's some latest research about depression linked with the foods one eats. I've picked out a few quotes from the article.
Eating a diet high in processed food increases the risk of depression, research suggests.

What is more, people who ate plenty of vegetables, fruit and fish actually had a lower risk of depression, the University College London team found.

Those who ate the most whole foods had a 26% lower risk of future depression than those who ate the least whole foods.

By contrast people with a diet high in processed food had a 58% higher risk of depression than those who ate very few processed foods.

It is not yet clear why some foods may protect against or increase the risk of depression but scientists think there may be a link with inflammation as with conditions such as heart disease.

Dr Andrew McCulloch, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, said: "This study adds to an existing body of solid research that shows the strong links between what we eat and our mental health.

"The UK population is consuming less nutritious, fresh produce and more saturated fats and sugars.

"We are particularly concerned about those who cannot access fresh produce easily or live in areas where there are a high number of fast food restaurants and takeaways."

Margaret Edwards, head of strategy at the mental health charity SANE, said: "Physical and mental health are closely related, so we should not be too surprised by these results, but we hope there will be further research which may help us to understand more fully the relationship between diet and mental health."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8334353.stm
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote