Dirk's Works

Dirk's Works (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Books (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Dig Deep"...An Essay (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587)

moviemogul 06-19-2007 09:34 AM

This is a brilliant short story, Dirk is so funny and to the point, I wish he would write alot more, I think this may be his future profession. He really is a great writer. :D

bibbi 06-19-2007 02:27 PM

I agree. I too think that Dirk is a brilliant writer. I am now reading Confessions again for the fifth time and have read this essay six times already. I can't wait to get my copy of And Then We Went Fishing. I am dying to see what's in his next book. It is bound to be EXCELLENT.

Take care,
Anne :)

Genny 06-19-2007 10:03 PM

essay

I agree, Anne...I am very much looking forward to Dirk's next book - he's a gifted writer. As for us all expressing our opinions...yes, it's very good to do that, but I think Anne was right ,to point out that she is not, someone who loves animals but also scoffs cows. I love animals too and by the way..I know that chicken is meat. Thanks for the info though Osterella. :D I wonder what Dirk's next book will be about. Have been thinking about it and would like to read more about his experiences in arriving at the values he has. He has a tremendous intellect but he has also proved that he can get on with people in all sorts of circumstances..even CBB ! I'm not interested much in CBB, but am, interested in how he has been so successful at reconciling individuality with the company he has been in, over the years. In terms of Hamlet...who tried so hard to achieve that, but couldn't..and Dirk has played Hamlet...it would make a very interesting viewpoint I think. I'd call it, ' Perchance to dream', although there must be a better title than that, in ' Hamlet' !

deebeelicious 06-20-2007 03:43 AM

Re: essay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genny
I agree, Anne...I am very much looking forward to Dirk's next book - he's a gifted writer. As for us all expressing our opinions...yes, it's very good to do that, but I think Anne was right ,to point out that she is not, someone who loves animals but also scoffs cows. I love animals too and by the way..I know that chicken is meat. Thanks for the info though Osterella. :D I wonder what Dirk's next book will be about. Have been thinking about it and would like to read more about his experiences in arriving at the values he has. He has a tremendous intellect but he has also proved that he can get on with people in all sorts of circumstances..even CBB ! I'm not interested much in CBB, but am, interested in how he has been so successful at reconciling individuality with the company he has been in, over the years. In terms of Hamlet...who tried so hard to achieve that, but couldn't..and Dirk has played Hamlet...it would make a very interesting viewpoint I think. I'd call it, ' Perchance to dream', although there must be a better title than that, in ' Hamlet' !

Reading your discussions about Dirk's 3rd book is a pretty good temporary replacement. Thx and keep 'em coming! :lol:

Arciris 06-20-2007 04:49 AM

Re: essay

I agree!!
I only can speak about Confessions, but I like very much how he writes. I hope some day to obtain "And Then We Went Fishing" and I'm sure that I will like it equal or more than first. :)
Brilliant writer and better person. :wink:

Genny 06-20-2007 05:03 PM

essay

Hi, DBlicious and Arciris ! :D How are you doing ? I've just been to see the film about Jane Austen. Enjoyed it, but the male lead, James McAvoy...I would not leave home for. In fact...wouldn't go to the end of the street. Ah well ! Am wondering if Dirk ever does any writing when / if he's got a few hours to spare. I expect he's enjoying his home and maybe doing some fishing ! :D

seedview 06-22-2007 04:21 PM

fast food

How many people will wake up when their health leaves them for good? [/img]

seedview 06-23-2007 08:16 AM

Food

Went to the farmer's market this morning. I overheard the many questions the young children were asking their parents. I just kept wondering if this is the first time these kids have seen fresh produce. Wonder what they would say if they had watched it grow.

NicoleDutch 06-24-2007 07:33 AM

Just rode the essay...it is brilliant. I love the writing style and the points Dirk makes. So right...so damn right. Will let my brother read this too, he stands for the animal rights and liberation.

I believe 80% of the meat eaters out there wouldn't eat meat if they had to slaughter the animals themselves. They would cry and beg to not have to kill em.

Geez, what an essay...first thing I'm going to do now is hold my dog and prepare me some tofu!

xRamona 06-28-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoleDutch
I believe 80% of the meat eaters out there wouldn't eat meat if they had to slaughter the animals themselves. They would cry and beg to not have to kill em.

You're right about that, Nicole!!
You saw that Dutch program, Try before you die?
Sander "that guy" had to slaughter a pig..
He had to cut his throat..
It looked horrible! I've got no words for it.. Awfull!!
The animal's body kept moving while his throat was cut.. :shock:
If you'll ever see that episode of try before you die, you'll never eat pigmeat again..!!!
Too awfull for words.. :shock:

bibbi 06-28-2007 12:57 PM

Hi everyone! :D

I agree with the statement, that a lot of people wouldn't eat meat if they saw how the animals are killed. I myself saw a documentary on slaughter houses the other day. I couldn't stand watching it. *I had to go to the bathroom and throw up.* I'm beginning to really wonder why I ever ate meat.
I also re-read Dirk's essay again. I think that maybe he should publish that in a book with some other essays he's written. It would be a bestseller. That's my honest opinion. :D

Take care,

NicoleDutch 06-29-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRamona
Quote:

If you'll ever see that episode of try before you die, you'll never eat pigmeat again..!!!

Try before you die? No haven't seen it. I do know the programm...really bad for your brains!

I just heard on the news this morning that they will come harder on the animalactivists. I mean what do they worry about? there's so many shit going on in the world, in our own little country. Do something about that instead of waisting time to arrest people who stand up for the animal rights?

You know what really tires me? check out the big papers, for example Rotterdam's dagblad (also knows as AD). What's on the first paper from today? tom cruise visiting the Netherlands. Geez big news :roll:
You turn the page around and see that 200 people are killed in Pakistan...isn't that important enough? How many times have you seen the news and thought this isn't news? for example RTL 4 nieuws (news). They start their newsprogramm with the least important things...is it just Holland or??

ostarella 06-29-2007 07:26 AM

I think it's all over - on the station here, the big news story is Paris Hilton! :evil: I mean, really - who cares what celebrity got themselves in a jam through their own over-indulgence? Then again - HARD HEARTED WARNING - I don't really care how many people got killed in what war in what country, either. The only war I care about minimally is the one I want us out of, so... :? When I watch the news, I want to know about things that affect me or people I care about, or that might in the future. But it seems like even the national news is nothing but a "Take Me Seriously" version of "Entertainment Tonight". Who Cares?? :roll:

NicoleDutch 06-29-2007 07:55 AM

Paris Hilton and the IQ of a goldfish, what's the difference?

:wink:

ostarella 06-29-2007 09:53 AM

The goldfish can swim? 8)

NicoleDutch 06-29-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostarella
The goldfish can swim? 8)

Lol :lol:

xRamona 07-13-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRamona
Quote:

Try before you die? No haven't seen it. I do know the programm...really bad for your brains!

I just heard on the news this morning that they will come harder on the animalactivists. I mean what do they worry about? there's so many shit going on in the world, in our own little country. Do something about that instead of waisting time to arrest people who stand up for the animal rights?

You know what really tires me? check out the big papers, for example Rotterdam's dagblad (also knows as AD). What's on the first paper from today? tom cruise visiting the Netherlands. Geez big news :roll:
You turn the page around and see that 200 people are killed in Pakistan...isn't that important enough? How many times have you seen the news and thought this isn't news? for example RTL 4 nieuws (news). They start their newsprogramm with the least important things...is it just Holland or??

They save the best for last..? :roll:

And about those animalactivists, that's bull to come harder on them!!!
I mean Holland is a free country *if you'll stand up for your opinion you'll be shot, but never mind that* so I don't agree with doing that.. and I agree, there is so much other worse trouble in the world, who cares Tom Cruise is visiting Holland, except the Tom Cruise fans, but I bet they already knew if they are real fans.. :roll:
And Paris Hilton.. Yeey!! Paris Hilton out of jail..!! Woow!! Big news!! The whole world was talking about it.. what about the innocent people in who are free again after being for 6 years in jail for nothing?? You never hear about them..
And there is so much more I-don't-want-to-know news on the Dutch tv, I don't know if it's the same in the other parts of the world, but this is how I feel about it. :roll:

NicoleDutch 07-14-2007 08:03 AM

We share the same opinion Ramona!

Verity 08-09-2007 07:16 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this essay. He engaged my interest immediately with much guile and charm, drew me in with the simple allure of a unique childhood memory and before long I was totally engrossed. By the middle of the narrative I was horrified and at the end I felt like I'd been punched in the head. Probably his intention! That's what it takes to get through to people. He's absolutely right, of course! Who can possibly gainsay it?

He's a superb writer and, because of his brilliance in this field, I have much to thank him for, even though I take issue with him on some points. Having been raised in the country I had always eaten a wholefood diet. No processed food at all, with all fruit and vegetables grown at home and eaten in season, as was the meat and poultry I consumed. I, too, know all about the killing process. I always hated it but it didn't stop me from eating the results! Until very recently I had never been ill, apart from an occasional cold and a singular bout of shingles. That all changed very dramatically when I contracted a virulent viral pneumonia that would have carried me off overnight, had I not been discovered by a shrewd and thoughtful soul. (Note: Always have a WORKING phone by your bed. NOT a stupid hand-held with a dead battery.) My immune system had been severely compromised over time due to the fact that I had departed from my healthy lifestyle to the extent that I had begun to consume processed food and my intake of fruit and vegetables and home-cooked food had drastically declined. Alarmingly, I had also begun, for the first time in my life, to gain weight and felt very heavy and lethargic and because of this growing weakness my work-induced stress levels were through the roof. The consequence of all this was a brush with the rider of the Pale Horse. ("You must fight", said the doctor! "What's she on?" I thought. "I'm not planning on going anywhere. Andre Agassi hasn't retired yet. Gotta stick with the grand little chap!) I refused to believe death would have his way with me. I had too many plans. Mercifully, I was right. Had I been more interesting to him, however, and he the more persistent, I would naturally have succumbed. The bastard!

I have read and re-read "Cowboy" several times and each time I learn something new. I decided, in my conceit, to put him to the test. (A fate he doesn't deserve.) He's a very dogged individual and I am not as determined a person as he but I have forsaken dairy, sugar, all meat and incorporated a great deal of the elements of a macrobiotic lifestyle into my own. The results were virtually immediate. I lost weight, my strength and vitality returned, my hair recovered it's gloss and grows prodigious thick. (Unfortunately! The downside to all this positivity is huge hairdressers' bills.) Miraculously, the one thing that never suffered was my complexion but my skin is glowing and well-hydrated. I was always a good skipper at school so I skip hard and fast every day. I'm positively bouncing - literally and metaphorically. Bless you, Dirk! I never would have done it without you. Never could have done it - because I never would have learned there was an alternative way. Because no-one else would have beguiled my interest sufficiently and so cleverly. Because no-one else, to my knowledge, has written so passionately and so entertainingly about what is, on the face of it, a rather pedestrian subject? It isn't, of course! It's life itself. Dirk's book is my personal epiphany. So, once again. Thank you, dear Mr. Benedict. You gave me back my health and wellbeing.

I only wish he had a wider readership. I only wish he was more prolific. I only wish he would write more about anything and everything. He does, indeed, offer strong medicine. The power to express a powerful intellect, the power to teach, the power to influence and entertain and the power to do all of this with grace, much charm and great wit. Come on, Dirk. Write! Please! Whilst there's still time! :wink: :D

deebeelicious 08-09-2007 08:29 AM

What a fantastic post V, I hope Dirk get's to read it - reads like you're a writer too! :lol: :wink: 8)

Verity 08-10-2007 05:09 AM

That's very sweet of you and extremely flattering, Deebee but I hold this truth to be self-evident - and so will everyone else. I cannot possibly be a writer. When it comes to editing it would take a tribe of biblical proportions to rein me in. Like everythng else writing requires discipline and restraint, so I am to writing what Japanese Knotweed is to gardening. The kiss of death! You should know this, Deebee. We've met before. :D

bibbi 08-12-2007 12:18 PM

Hi everyone! :D

I read this essay again and I agree that Dirk must write again and soon. I'm wondering if he's going to publish this essay in a book. I must have read Confessions now at least six times. Each time I pick up something I didn't the first time I read it. I am waiting for ATTWF. I know it will be as excellent as Confessions and his essay.

Verity! :D
You should write a book. You'd be a great author!

Take care,

ojai22 02-05-2017 11:24 AM

Re: "Dig Deep"...An Essay

I'm bumping up this essay in case it was overlooked. Written about 15 years ago. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Flygirl 02-05-2017 12:52 PM

Oh, thank you!!! I hadn't read this one. Puppy... hmm. Wow, Dirk has had way too many surreal experiences. Brilliant, thought provoking, and hilarious at the same time. I can't get enough of these. Are there more original DB essays hidden on this site?? Love this so much.

LittleMonkeyDog 02-05-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyngirl5 (Post 23621)
Oh, thank you!!! I hadn't read this one. Puppy... hmm. Wow, Dirk has had way too many surreal experiences. Brilliant, thought provoking, and hilarious at the same time. I can't get enough of these. Are there more original DB essays hidden on this site?? Love this so much.

Me too :D