Dirk's Works

Dirk's Works (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Discussion Area (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "Quotables" (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199)

Michele Ann 07-24-2017 04:40 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, I all alone beweep my outcast state."

Ludlum'sDaughter14 07-24-2017 05:20 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26222)
"When you live with fame as a day-to-day reality, the allure of privacy and anonymity is as strong as the desire for fame for those who never had it." - Martha Hyer, actress, 1924-2014
Acting is tough, hard work. It's tiring, lots of time on your feet. I did high school and community theatre. Not the acclaim of those like Dirk, obviously, but when I read "Confessions" by Dirk it brought back those memories. I think Dirk os a fine and noble Thespian and all-around keen guy. For these reasons I would just assume all of us pray for his health, well being and happiness.
Would any of us want people clamoring for our autograph or hounding him like so many paparazzi? I don't think so. We're all fortunate to have priceless anonymity. We can eat at a restaurant or walk freely amongst everyone without being bothered.
I wish Big D, Dirk, good health, long life, happiness and peace. Best wishes my friend.

Welcome to the forum, MR DENNIS916! It would certainly be difficult to live with fame, especially fame that was not asked for or expected. That's part of what I like about this site: we can show our appreciation for Dirk and the ways he has used his fame for good without hounding him. Thank you for sharing an insightful quote.

Ludlum'sDaughter14 07-24-2017 05:26 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
This is a quote I have found to be very true in my own life.

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx

:cool:

MRDENNIS916 07-24-2017 10:03 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When the going gets tough the tough get going" - My Dad, Korean War veteran

John Pickard 07-24-2017 10:53 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26226)
"When the going gets tough the tough get going" - My Dad, Korean War veteran

Among others... ;)

:))

LittleMonkeyDog 07-25-2017 03:28 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26224)
Welcome to the forum, MR DENNIS916! It would certainly be difficult to live with fame, especially fame that was not asked for or expected. That's part of what I like about this site: we can show our appreciation for Dirk and the ways he has used his fame for good without hounding him. Thank you for sharing an insightful quote.

A warm welcome to you, MR DENNIS916. I must say I really liked your quote. I can understand why people don't want to be famous if it means not being able to lead a 'normal' life. I mean everyone has a right to privacy and we all want to be anonymous at times no matter what our 'job' is. I think people should respect that.
And I'm with you, LD. The part I like the most about this site - besides making wonderful new friends :D - is that we can show our appreciation for Dirk without hounding him.

MRDENNIS916 07-26-2017 03:30 PM

Quotables: In Remembrance
 

"I never stopped seeing Lorne as my dad. Lorne was a solid pillar for both me and Dan Blocker. I'd known him for more than half my life, and he'd been my father for fourteen years on Bonanza. You just dont quit being a son or a father. I'll always consider him my Pa."

Michael Landon, 1936-1991, on Lorne Greene, 1915-1987

In remembrance of "Little Joe" (Michael Landon)
"Pa" Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene)
"Hoss" (Dan Blocker, 1928-1972)
"Adam Cartwright" (Pernell Roberts, 1928-2010)

Thank you for the Bonanza memories, gentlemen. May you all rest in eternal peace.
May you never be forgotten, but always treasured.

I went to the Bonanza Ranch on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe when I was very young.
Bonanza was big stuff for kids young and old, and it's still good.

MRDENNIS916 07-27-2017 01:54 AM

Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

Vballspieler 07-27-2017 03:22 AM

Re: Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26240)
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

Fußball is soccer, though. Und sehr gut. Dein Deutsch könnte ich verstehen.

John Pickard 07-27-2017 07:11 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
MRDENNIS916, FYI, I've moved your quotations into the "Quotables" thread, because they really do belong here.

And if I haven't said so before, welcome!

MRDENNIS916 07-27-2017 07:42 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
I'm not on Twitter or Facebook and keep a very low internet profile. This forum is one of very few I've felt was worth it's salt to join. I enjoy the craft of Ars Gratia Artis, the stagecraft that goes back to ancient Greece and Rome. If I had the opportunity to meet Dirk I'd sure put a lot of thought into my thanks for his contribution to the arts overall.

Vielen Dank Big John. Du klingst wie ein grober Kerl. Mit freundlichen Grüßen!
Lass uns auf die Katze treten!

MrDennis

LittleMonkeyDog 07-27-2017 03:28 PM

Re: Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26240)
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

LOL. This kind of thing even happens to the best ;)
Oh ... und ich verstehe und spreche auch Deutsch.

LittleMonkeyDog 07-27-2017 03:45 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26250)
I'm not on Twitter or Facebook and keep a very low internet profile. This forum is one of very few I've felt was worth it's salt to join. I enjoy the craft of Ars Gratia Artis, the stagecraft that goes back to ancient Greece and Rome. If I had the opportunity to meet Dirk I'd sure put a lot of thought into my thanks for his contribution to the arts overall.

Vielen Dank Big John. Du klingst wie ein grober Kerl. Mit freundlichen Grüßen!
Lass uns auf die Katze treten!

MrDennis

I do hope you'll be able to meet Dirk one day too. Somehow. Somewhere.

ojai22 07-31-2017 01:52 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
“Beauty can never exist without Passion and Passion comes from Sorrow.”

J. Krishnamurti

Vballspieler 08-15-2017 11:50 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

Flygirl 08-15-2017 12:56 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vballspieler (Post 26464)
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

LOL :)) I see you're building up your signature!

LittleMonkeyDog 08-15-2017 04:36 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vballspieler (Post 26464)
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

LOL. Now I know for sure I'm not one :p

Ludlum'sDaughter14 08-23-2017 12:00 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

Vballspieler 08-23-2017 12:28 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26541)
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

Some of us prefer listening to talking. Hopefully, that pays off as well.

Michele Ann 08-23-2017 02:18 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26541)
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

Vballspieler 08-23-2017 05:41 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

:)) :))

LittleMonkeyDog 08-24-2017 02:58 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

This is a good one :))

Ludlum'sDaughter14 08-25-2017 11:00 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

Wait... are you saying you guys don't put tomatoes in your fruit salad...?

;)

Flygirl 08-25-2017 11:24 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Knowing is half the battle. And battling is the other half." - Bryan Alves

-------------------------

"When my kids ask, 'Why does Santa only come once a year?', I'm going to tell them it's because he's in jail the rest of the year, for breaking and entering." - Bryan Alves

Vballspieler 08-25-2017 12:01 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyngirl5 (Post 26556)
"knowing is half the battle. And battling is the other half." - bryan alves

-------------------------

"when my kids ask, 'why does santa only come once a year?', i'm going to tell them it's because he's in jail the rest of the year, for breaking and entering." - bryan alves

:)) :)) :)) :))


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
2021 DirkBenedictCentral.com