PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Gifts of Christmas

Lucia Helena
11-21-2008, 08:27 PM
The Christmas is approaching and the whole world is concerned by the spirit of Christmas.
All decisions and thoughts aims to have a happy Christmas and unforgettable.
Many preparations, decorating, shopping...What to buy?:confused:
Thinking about this ...
Give your suggestion!

Suggestion for a Christmas gift:

"For your enemy, forgiveness.
For an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
For a customer, service.
To all, charity.
For every child, a good example
To you, respect. " (Oren Arnold)
PS: Excuse me if the translation is not perfect

asmay
11-22-2008, 04:12 AM
What about some practical presents: scented candles, nice bathing towel, a (MB) cookbook or other novels, a scarf, gloves, a potted plant, chocolates, a bottle of wine, a box of fine soaps .... those are some of the presents I would love to receive myself....;):D

Maybe in this time of international crisis we should focus on practicality and not so much on luxury?!:confused: After all, all those electronic gadgets and games and stuff only make your electricity bills go up and up ... and life is pretty expensive as it is already anyhow. :eek::mad:

What are your feelings on this? And as Lucia asks, any other suggestions for presents to buy?

deebeelicious
11-22-2008, 04:23 AM
Hey, great thread! ;)
I tried to post this yesterday but gremlins ate it! Oh well, I post it here, which is a better place for it anyway!

Next Sat has been designated 'Buy Nothing Day'!
"It's a day where you challenge yourself to switch off from shopping and tune into life. The rules are simple, for 24 hours you will detox from consumerism and live without shopping."
http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

deebeelicious
11-22-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm splitting my post up because of gremlins!

"An Inspiring campaign that whilst it focuses on the tradition of Christmas, could inform other traditions also. It takes place the same day as Buy Nothing Day." ;)
RECLAIM CHRISTMAS' DAY
http://www.operationnoah.org/take-action/campaignactions/reclaimchristmas

"Because we have already reached the point when the earth's resources for the year are used up (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/10/06/eadebt106.xml) and because we reject the idea that happiness at Christmas lies at the bottom of Santa's stocking, Operation Noah is launching its Reclaim Christmas campaign.

"Advent was traditionally a period of penitence and quiet anticipation. But now it seems no more than four weeks of frenzied consumption in which stress, needless debt and damage to God’s creation have become its defining hallmarks.

deebeelicious
11-22-2008, 04:29 AM
And, to be a little less subversive, if we must buy presents (I mean adults-to-adults), what about:

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/Hub.aspx?catalog=Unwrapped
(Check out the 'gift ideas' on the right hand side!) ;)

or

http://www.giftofsight.co.uk/default.aspx

etc - I'm sure all the charities will have some kind of 'donation gift' available? ;) :D

Sharon
11-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Good Morning!
We as a family only give gifts to our mothers and children...spouses, too.
We also give little donations to charities who help needy families, especially with children. Many people here, buy a charity shoe box and fill it up with small toiletries and toys for children in 3rd worl countries. My son did that last year.
We have to remember the spirit of the Holiday and appreciate what we already have and that so many others live without.
I love Christmas, but I don't like the fact that so many people are trying to change it to be politically correct and not intrude on others beliefs.
Well, by changing it for all to be happy, you are intruding on what it means for me. I don't intrude on other Holidays that I don't celebrate, so why should someone intrude on mine.
Keep Christmas spirit all year long, that is important and be kind to others!
Have a lovely day! I am off to work! Hugs to all!

bibbi
11-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the greatest gift is not what you buy. It's being with family and friends and caring for others in need. I also make donations to children and familys who don't have Christmas gifts. Giving to others for me is the greatest gift. :)

Lucia Helena
11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Asmay, Deebee,Sharon, Bibbinut, thank you for your posts.
It is fascinating to know the thinking of people of different cultures on Christmas.
Christmas is a season of transformation, reflection. But we all know that the real feelings and sense of home for some time, were erased by other values.
We're learning from everything that is happening around us it is important to be more than to have.
I like to give, they present to win. More significant for me is the feeling that this wants to convey.
The subject of this seems, but the feeling that you have placed in him is forever ...
Keep writing, is gratifying, you are giving to all who read with culture, awareness of global problems, fraternity, charity ...

bibbi
11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Another suggestion for a Christmas gift. Is a homemade gift. Not something you buy. Cookies, handknit sweaters, jewellery, etc. Some of the nicest gifts I've ever gotten were homemade and not storebought.

Lucia Helena
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Another suggestion for a Christmas gift. Is a homemade gift. Not something you buy. Cookies, handknit sweaters, jewellery, etc. Some of the nicest gifts I've ever gotten were homemade and not storebought.

I loved your suggestion, it is one of my favorite because it is a special ingredient: it was made with love in their own hands!
Simply fantastic their idea.:eek:

asmay
11-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Btw how about giving your loved ones some healthy snacks? Like brown rice crackers ... just thought I'd mention it .... :oops:

deebeelicious
11-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Good Morning!
We as a family only give gifts to our mothers and children...spouses, too.
We also give little donations to charities who help needy families, especially with children. Many people here, buy a charity shoe box and fill it up with small toiletries and toys for children in 3rd worl countries. My son did that last year.
We have to remember the spirit of the Holiday and appreciate what we already have and that so many others live without.
I love Christmas, but I don't like the fact that so many people are trying to change it to be politically correct and not intrude on others beliefs.
Well, by changing it for all to be happy, you are intruding on what it means for me. I don't intrude on other Holidays that I don't celebrate, so why should someone intrude on mine.
Keep Christmas spirit all year long, that is important and be kind to others!
Have a lovely day! I am off to work! Hugs to all!

Hope you don't mind my posting in this thread. :oops: The 'Christmas' web-sites I mentioned above are Christian sites! :cool:

(Jesus's name is mentioned more often in the Qu'ran than Mohammed, including the miracle of Jesus' birth. :cool: So I don't believe there is a 'conflict of interest' for me to celebrate Christmas, but I don't mean to impose on other's beliefs! :oops:)

EDIT - I forgot to say, how wonderful it would be if the 'Christmas' spirit lasted all year round - peace and goodwill to all! Truly heaven on earth! ;) :)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK_mJrLbmY

deebeelicious
11-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Btw how about giving your loved ones some healthy snacks? Like brown rice crackers ... just thought I'd mention it .... :oops:

LOL :)) - breads and crackers aren't the best foods to have every day :eek: - noodles and rice are better ;) - something to do with baked flour products being very 'constricting' or 'too expanding' or something - LOL what an expert I am! :rolleyes: :p

But I guess what we're saying above is that it's the 'sentiment' that counts! ;)

I think I'm starting to make headway with my Mom regarding MB - slowly tapping away at her resistance. LOL - 'resistance is futile'! :p

asmay
11-24-2008, 04:31 AM
..... and may the (MB) force be with you, young Deebee!!!

Lucia Helena
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
EDIT - I forgot to say, how wonderful it would be if the 'Christmas' spirit lasted all year round - peace and goodwill to all! Truly heaven on earth!
[/URL][/QUOTE]

My dear friend, I agree with you.
It would be really wonderful if the spirit of Christmas to remain in people, in the year about to arrive.
It is not so distant a dream or impossible, just depends on each one of us ...
Flowers and more flowers for you ...
Oh ... and for all who read too

asmay
11-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I absolutely agree with you Lucia and Deebee! :cool: Let's keep the faith and not lose our hopes, then miracles may happen ....

deebeelicious
12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
With the credit crunch starting to bite - ouch! - here's some ideas on home-made gifts ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7774203.stm

:)