PDA

View Full Version : Related articles

ostarella
05-31-2008, 09:23 AM
I was doing some preliminary research for a story I'm going to be working on later, and found this site:

In 2 Worlds: Waking up to another layer of reality.

http://in2worlds.net/

At first glance, it seems to be yet another of those "X-Files" type sites, but looking a little more closely, it's more an examination of various phenomena and also at "real life" circumstances. In particular, I was drawn to this article:

Working for the Puppet People

http://in2worlds.net/working-for-the-puppet-people

Again, I haven't had a chance to read it in a "digestive mode", but it does seem to parallel some of the things Dirk has commented on, so I thought it might be of interest to others here. Once I've read it more thoroughly, of course, I may change my mind on that, but then, that's only human. ;)

ani
05-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Loved it! Thank you so much for posting that.

I don't agree with everything, but two thing I really loved was her comments about profiling and such for the work place.

Were I think it really goes to far is online searchs.
I hate the idea of companies googling my name to see if they can find my myspace and then maybe not hire me because a friend put up a photo of my drunk at a pub once. My work actually warns against myspaces and such because HR can find out things about us.

I'm sorry, my f'en private life is none of my jobs business unless I am dragging it into my job, like coming to work drunk or some such.

Companies even exist to datamine private personal information for companies. Ridiculous. I honestly think that is a huge invasion of privacy.

HR are should keep it in the workplace or in job related functions.

I've hears the argument Oh well once you work for the company you represent that company so they should be able to regulate your outta work behavior (one company forbids smoking PERIOD at all EVER even at home).

True MAYBE if you are a CEO or a high enough exec that your name is attached to the company already, but low level under paid data entry position. No. That argument is saying, basically, once you take a corporate job, no matter how low paying, that corporation owns you. :o

Ugh.

Also as a person who still get live paycheck I love that bit too.
Ok sure, I lost my paycheck once and had to be re-issued one, which meant I was out a a paycheck for a month and things were TIGHT.

But it was way easier to correct than the direct deposit going into the wrong friggen bank account, let me tell you.

And all debit cards and check cards and such do is detach you from you money and make it easier to overspend. Speaking from experience there.

You know I paid for all my X-mas stuff with check or cash and for the first time ever did not go over budget because I didn't just buy frivolous stuff.

Paying with cash or check really keeps me from overspending.

ostarella
05-31-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry, my f'en private life is none of my jobs business unless I am dragging it into my job, like coming to work drunk or some such.
...That argument is saying, basically, once you take a corporate job, no matter how low paying, that corporation owns you. :o

I went to school to be in HR, and man, the difference between what you're taught and Real World is astronomical! Like those psych tests employers LOVE - totally worthless. I actually refused to fill out one application because basically it said they could check my credit history and "public records" (as in court!) - like my child support battle would affect my job performance, or good or bad credit would affect how I answered their damn telephone. :rolleyes: It's why I love working temp jobs - they just want a body they can train for the short term :D

Also as a person who still get live paycheck I love that bit too...

I never even used to have a bank account. I cashed my check at the employer's bank and put all the bill money in separate envelopes. Whatever was left was *mine* ;) The only reason I have direct deposit now is because I get my money four days earlier - then I cash it out. :D (Well, and because a few years ago my boss informed me that I was being re-issued three paychecks that hadn't been cashed yet - a year after they were first issued. I have no idea what happened to them...)

As much as possible, I live off the grid/radar. Drives my family nuts - mainly because they think I'm turning into a survivalist. :twisted: And I love letting them think that way. :))