PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

ostarella
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This weekend (Monday, specifically) celebrates Memorial Day here in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Our family has always taken bouquets of flowers from our garden to the various cemeteries where our family members are, six cemeteries altogether. I cut the flowers that morning and make up the bouquets and then we pack them up in the trunk and head out. Takes about 4-5 hours altogether, driving to the cemeteries and placing them all. And each cemetery has the graves of veterans marked with small flags or emblems of some kind; in our little town, there's a parade that winds through town and up to the city cemetery, and they have speakers and the ceremonial laying of the wreaths on a big cross, one for each branch of the service, and it ends with playing Taps.

deebeelicious
05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
In UK we have 'Remembrance Sunday', which is the nearest Sunday to 11/11, with ceremonies starting at 11 am. It is because that was the day of the last ceasefire of the 1st World War, 'at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we shall remember them', etc.

Sorry if we are sounding flippant in the UK therefore about this weekend's Bank Holiday'ness frivolity - because you see we don't have 'memorial day' this weekend. :confused: :oops:

Being 2nd gen immigrants, we don't have 'family graves' here to visit. My mum did get v excited (not the right word, but 'agitated' seems too strong a word also!:rolleyes::() when she saw the cemetary that we have some family buried in on the Kite Runner - apparently our family's graves were a bit further up from where they filmed! :confused:

ostarella
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry if we are sounding flippant in the UK therefore about this weekend's Bank Holiday'ness frivolity - because you see we don't have 'memorial day' this weekend. :confused: :oops:

Can't sound flippant when you're talking about something completely different. ;)

Being 2nd gen immigrants, we don't have 'family graves' here to visit. My mum did get v excited (not the right word, but 'agitated' seems too strong a word also!:rolleyes::() when she saw the cemetary that we have some family buried in on the Kite Runner - apparently our family's graves were a bit further up from where they filmed! :confused:

As I've been digging into our family history, I've "found" more graves. It's sad, that some family members have been "forgotten", so I try to get to as many as I can. Dumb, but I like to "let them know" they've been remembered. And, like your family, we have a lot that are too far away to get to, but someday I'd like to take a trip and visit, just so I know where they are. Maybe it's dumb as well, but it's like keeping the connections, I guess. :oops:

ani
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
We always remembered my paternal grandfather on this day.
I think both of mine served, but only BiG-Dad saw action. IIRC Pepere never saw any action, by the time he got through training, the war was pretty much over.

My family was blessed and neither my father nor my Uncle were drafted into Vietnam.

I wish it was a more solemn Holiday over here.
For some families it really is, but the stores and such treat it as one giant reason to have a sale and such and it just is so belittling.

PEOPLE DIED!!! BUY OUR CRAP!!!
I mean really :(

ostarella
05-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I wish it was a more solemn Holiday over here.
For some families it really is, but the stores and such treat it as one giant reason to have a sale and such and it just is so belittling.

PEOPLE DIED!!! BUY OUR CRAP!!!
I mean really :(

I agree - for some people, they're more concerned over a stock car race or making sure there's plenty of booze in the fridge for the barbecue. They might actually remember to put the flag out on Monday...:rolleyes:

sara
05-29-2008, 05:11 AM
What an important thing to remember them....

This is an important period for Italy too:

25th April - Liberation from Fascism

2nd June - Rebublic day

We also remember all our relatives who died during World War I and II and expecially all those Italian soldiers who were caught and sent to nazi Konzentrazionslager because, after the arrival of Americans, they refused to sign and fight with nazis, so they were captured by them and sent to die... My Grandfather survived for many months in a lager, but his health was fatally damaged. His moral and his pride can't be forgotten..