PDA

View Full Version : The A-Team Season 2 DVD News

KINGFISH
01-08-2005, 07:19 PM
repost from tvshowsondvd.com:

A-Team, The - I pity the fool that doesn't plan to buy Season 2!
Posted by David Lambert
12/26/2004

For those who celebrate it, we hope you've had a Merry Christmas. The gifts from TVShowsOnDVD haven't stopped coming yet, though: we still have a bit of holiday news for you today ("Boxing Day" in Canada). Our gift to you is the word of Universal's confirmation that The A-Team - Season 2 WILL be released in 2005. It's been talked about, but now Universal is saying it's on the slate. We just don't know "when" yet.

It's one of many titles we've talked about from this studio as Christmas presents to our readers, both Christmas Day and on the day after. But we should mention that there are some ad inserts (the kind enclosed with recent TV Show releases from the studio), along with some web rumors that talk about the timeframe of several of these 2005 Universal TV-to-DVD releases. However, when we asked the studio about this, we were told that no timeframes are set in stone...and that March in particular is a month full of change. So disregard any schedules you've heard so far. "March" comes up with a lot of the titles, but so far Murder, She Wrote is the only Universal TV title absolutely confirmed for DVDs in March.

We'll have the real, bona fide dates for you just as soon as Universal nails them down; stay tuned for more info.

KINGFISH
01-18-2005, 02:44 PM
http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2755

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/contest/ateam.jpg

A-Team, The - Hannibal, B.A., Faceman, & Howling Mad Murdock bust out for Season 2 announcement!
Posted by David Lambert
1/18/2005

Hannibal (George Peppard), B.A. (Mr. T), Faceman (Dirk Benedict), & Howling Mad Murdock (Dwight Schultz) are back on DVD soon. Universal has announced The A-Team - Season 2 for release on April 12th.

Guest stars this season include Tracy Scoggins, Markie Post, Michael Ironside, Ernie Hudson, John Vernon, Charles Napier, Lance Henriksen, Kurtwood Smith, Bo Hopkins, Dennis Franz, Michael Ensign, Sam Jones and of course semi-regular Lance LeGault as the ever-pursuing Colonel Decker.

There are 3 discs, all double-sided, dual-layer "DVD-18s". The running time is 1108 minutes for what ought to be 23 episodes. Look for full-frame video, English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo sound, and subtitles in English, French, and Spanish. $49.98 SRP is the price. The thumbnail-sized version of the cover is all that was available, and you'll see that it doesn't look very different from the first season, at least at this "distance". Stay tuned, and we'll have full-sized cover art and any new info for you just as soon as more comes to light.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2755

All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=511

More info on this show:
A-Team, The

Tracy
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info Kingfish!
:)

KINGFISH
01-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll definately be getting this season. The Taxi Cab Wars was one of the best episodes where Michael Ironside shoots up his own cab mistakingly believing it belongs to the competition.

KINGFISH
01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
A-Team, The - Big 3-D box art for S2, plus a bonus episode from another show
Posted by David Lambert
1/19/2005

Following up on our news yesterday featuring the announcement of The A-Team - Season 2, we now have the full-sized cover art for you to look at.

We also need to correct the info about the episode count we mentioned yesterday: we said "23 episodes", and Universal's information says "22". There's no problem, really: one episode during this season ("When You Comin' Back, Range Rider?") was a double-length episode. So there are 23 "hours" of episodes during this season, but the count of 22 episodes (one of them being extra-long) is the more customary way of describing it. We're sorry for the confusion.

It's also worth noting here that The A-Team - Season 2 will contain a bonus episode from the second season of Knight Rider. On the other hand, Magnum, P.I. - The Complete 2nd Season will contain a bonus episode from Knight Rider - Season 2 AND a bonus episode from The A-Team - Season 2. Wild. All three titles release on April 12. Here's that artwork:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007LXP7W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2760

All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=511

More info on this show:
A-Team, The

Darrell Lawrence
01-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Why are they putting episodes from other shows on show specific DVD's?

If I buy a show's season DVD's, those are what I want to watch. If I want the other show, then I'll buy that other show.

Gawd... marketing these days! :(

Tracy
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Guess that's what they call "cross marketing".
Covering all yer advertising bases.
Thing is for the space it would take up for them to throw in a Night Rider episode, they could have used that hour for bloopers or behind the scenes or something A-Team related. THAT would have sold more sets :D

KINGFISH
01-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Why are they putting episodes from other shows on show specific DVD's?

If I buy a show's season DVD's, those are what I want to watch. If I want the other show, then I'll buy that other show.

Gawd... marketing these days! :(

It would have been nice if they tossed in the Return of Starbuck episode. That was from another series and Dirk was in it. :)

Tania
02-25-2005, 06:07 PM
i will be getting the 2nd season on DVD, but if its like the 1st season that came out on DVD at the end of last year here in NZ.

Tracy
03-13-2005, 03:29 PM
*bump*

Darrell Lawrence
03-13-2005, 03:36 PM
...ow :D

KINGFISH
04-08-2005, 07:38 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/contest05.html

The A-Team, Knight Rider and Magnum P.I. Second Season giveaway is on! Two people can win this set of 80's TV classics on DVD. Send in your name and address for your chance to win. But be sure to follow the rules below. All entries MUST be sent to the following e-mail address: contest@thedigitalbits.com

Be sure to include the words "RETRO TV" in the subject line or your email will not be recieved.

PRIZE (2):
The A-Team Season Two
Knight Rider Season Two
Magnum P.I. the Complete Second Season

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/contest/ateam.jpg

Giveaway Rules

In order to qualify for the prize drawing, all you have to do is drop us a quick e-mail. The following rules apply:

1. Your full name and mailing address MUST be included with your entry. (This is necessary to notify the winner, and to arrange shipping of the prizes. Specific mailing address information will be kept confidential.)

2. Only ONE entry per person, per sweepstakes please!

3. The sweepstakes IS open to both U.S. and non-U.S. participants.

4. Family and friends of The Digital Bits staff are not eligible.

Entries will be accepted until Noon Pacific time, on Sunday April 17th, and the winners will be notified later that evening.

All entries MUST be sent to the following e-mail address: contest@thedigitalbits.com

KINGFISH
04-09-2005, 10:11 AM
http://tvshowsondvd.com/sitereviews.cfm?ReleaseID=4490

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007LXP86.01._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Magnum, P.I. - The Complete 2nd Season Review

Rating
Video: 7/10
Audio: 6/10
Extras: 1/10

Silly Higgins!
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 4/08/2005

A product of the 80s, Magnum P.I. combines hot cars, exotic locations and beautiful women wrapped in an action-packed hour of drama and mystery. Former Naval Intelligence officer Thomas Magnum is now in charge of security for the estate of author Robin Masters, as well as running his own private investigation firm. This allows him to get into lots of trouble, either through the clients he takes on, or events surrounding the estate. Magnum shares the estate with Jonathan Higgins III (John Hillerman), a former British officer that doesn't often see eye-to-eye with his estate-mate. He's structured and disciplined, and Magnum is neither. When Magnum gets in a pinch he calls on his former military buddies, T.C. (Roger Mosely) - the owner of a helicopter charter company, and Rick (Larry Manetti) - a club owner with his ear to the Hawaiian underworld. Hawaii provides a beautiful backdrop to the series.

I tell ya, this show holds up pretty well. Sure, Magnum's pants are a little tight, and the shirt styles scream "80s," but the stories hold up, 20-something years later. Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon are still my favorite "P.I." shows.

Universal has made a few changes to the packaging for the set. The raised "Magnum P.I." letters from season 1 have been replaced with raised letters on the cardboard sleeve, not the plastic/rubber letters from the first set. They've also placed the discs inside slim cases, which replaced the digipak design from season 1. A booklet isn't needed anymore, since the episode descriptions can be found on the back of each slim case.

Here's a breakdown of the set:

Disc 1, Side A (1:38:24)
Billy Joe Bob (49:14)
Dead Man's Channel (49:10)

Disc 1, Side B (3:15:02)
The Woman on the Beach (49:15)
From Moscow to Maui (48:14)
Memories Are Forever - Parts 1 & 2 (1:37:33)

Disc 2, Side A (3:16:54)
Tropical Madness (49:10)
Wave Goodbye (49:16)
Mad Buck Gibson (49:14)
The Taking of Dick McWilliams (49:14)

Disc 2, Side B (3:16:54)
The Sixth Position (49:15)
Ghost Writer (49:15)
The Jororo Kill (49:14)
Computer Date (49:10)

Disc 3, Side A (3:16:55)
Try to Remember (49:15)
Italian Ice (49:14)
One More Summer (49:12)
Texas Lightning (49:14)

Disc 3, Side B (3:17:00)
Double Jeopardy (49:17)
The Last Page (49:13)
The Elmo Ziller Story (49:17)
Three Minus Two (49:13)

Video

The video on season 2 of Magnum is almost identical to season 1. There's still a large amount of dust and debris in the picture, and certain scenes contain some obvious film grain. The stock footage stands out because it's poorer quality than the footage shot for the series. The good news is the chapter placement has been improved for season 2. The first season lacked a chapter after the opening of the show, so you had to fast-forward through the "preview" to the episode, and the opening, but season 2 has a chapter properly placed which allows you to skip over this material.

Audio

Magnum P.I. includes an English mono track. It's not as good as something that would be in stereo, or surround, but it sounds quite nice. The track is slightly quiet, but it's consistent, so that's okay. The dialog is easy to understand, and the sound effects are good, though they sound dated at times. The hiss, which I found slightly distracting in season 1 is more noticeable in season 2, which caused me to drop the score down by one. Subtitles are in English, French and Spanish.

Extras - How we rate extras

Bonus Episodes (1:38:46)
There are a couple of "bonus" episodes for other Universal titles being released on the same day ad Magnum.
The A-Team - Diamonds 'N Dust (49:51)
Knight Rider - Brother's Keeper (48:55)

Summary

I had hoped we could see some real bonus material for season 2, but Universal has simply used the space on the disc to promote their other titles. It bothers me that one of my favorite shows as a kid may never see any bonus material of any substance. I'd love to hear commentary tracks, or maybe an interview or two. I want to know what the actors are up to, and what they think of the show 20 years later. Looking back on the recent Universal releases, the last set which had any decent bonus material was Las Vegas, and that was in January. I know if Universal put their minds to it they could create some amazing bonus material for their TV sets, as they do for their movies. It may sound as though I'm picking on them, but I have faith that they could put out some of the best DVD sets (content and extras) if they improved in a few areas.

It was great to see some of these episodes again, though we haven't hit some of my personal favorites yet. Hopefully we'll see season 3 before the end of the year.

================================================== ==

I can't wait for the season where Magnum returns to Vietnam to rescue pow's.

KINGFISH
04-09-2005, 05:19 PM
http://tvshowsondvd.com/sitereviews.cfm?ReleaseID=4487

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007LXP7W.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

A-Team, The - Season 2 Review

Rating
Video: 7/10
Audio: 7/10
Extras: 1/10

Mr. T says, "I pity the fool who doesn't buy this DVD!"
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 4/09/2005

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A-Team.

The A-Team was a mid season replacement in January, 1983. Premiering with a double-length episode (preserved on DVD the same way), the show introduced us to the Vietnam vets wanted for a crime they didn't commit. Their leader is Col. John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard), a cigar-chewing strategist with aspirations to be in movies. Rounding out the team is Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck (Dirk Benedict, and Tim Dunigan in the pilot), a "looker" that's good with the ladies, Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock (Dwight Schultz), a mental patient and pilot for the group, and Sgt. Bosco Albert "B.A." Baracus (Mr. T), a no-nonsense mechanic. Amy Allen (Melinda Culea), a reporter that joined the team in the pilot, was written out of the series in season 2, and was replaced by Tawnia Baker in "Say it With Bullets."

I still feel a bit naughty while watching these show, since my parents wouldn't let my brother and I watch it as kids. It's a bit silly when I look back on it because the show isn't really all that violent. I have to wonder if my parents ever watched an episode before they told us we couldn't see it, or if they simply read about the show and decided it was bad for kids. I've had the last laugh now though, haven't I? Thanks to Universal I can watch all 22 episodes from the second season.

Universal changed the packaging for the second season; they ditched the digipak and went with 3 slim cases. While I applaud the use of slim cases, I wish they had kept the plastic case that slipped over the set (I thought that was really cool). Here's a breakdown of the set:

Disc 1, Side A (2:26:42)
Diamonds 'N Dust (48:51)
Recipe For Heavy Bread (48:55)
The Only Church in Town (48:56)

Disc 1, Side B (3:14:48)
Bad Time on the Border (48:51)
"When you comin' Back, Range Rider?" (1:37:05)
The Taxicab Wars (48:52)

Disc 2, Side A (3:09:10)
Labor Pains (46:13)
There's Always a Catch (46:50)
Water, Water Everywhere (48:43)
Steel (47:24)

Disc 2, Side B (3:13:25)
The White Ballot (48:12)
The Maltese Cow (48:03)
In Plane Sight (48:23)
The Battle of Bel Air (48:47)

Disc 3, Side A (3:13:29)
Say It With Bullets (47:55)
Pure-Dee Poison (47:55)
It's a Desert Out There (48:39)
Chopping Spree (49:00)

Disc 3, Side B (3:13:37)
Harder Than It Looks (47:50)
Deadly Maneuvers (48:54)
Semi-Friendly Persuasion (48:03)
Curtain Call (48:50)

Video

These episodes contain some dust and other debris, but that's to be expected from material that's 21 years old. There aren't any significant flaws besides the dust, though an occasional flaw in the print will appear. Each disc allows you to "play all" the episodes at once, or select an individual episode to read a synopsis, select a scene, or play the episode. Universal has placed a chapter after the opening of the episode which allows you to skip the Universal title sequence, the preview for the episode, and the opening credits.

Audio

The A-Team contains a mono audio track, and it sounds alright. The theme song fits the show perfectly, pumping you up for action to come. There's an occasional crackle in the audio, though it's very infrequent. The set is captioned in English, French and Spanish.

Extras - How we rate extras

Knight Rider: Brother's Keeper (48:55)
This "bonus" episode is from the second season of Knight Rider.

Summary

I didn't mention this in my review of Magnum P.I., but Universal has done something interesting with both sets. Normally the "proof of purchase" for the set is part of a booklet, or the packaging, which annoys the anal collectors (like myself) that don't wish to cut up part of the set to take part in a promotion. Normally the "proof of purchase" for the set is part of a booklet, or the packaging, which annoys the anal collectors (like myself) that don't wish to cut up part of the set to take part in a promotion. Universal has placed little "proof of purchase" stickers over the UPC symbols on the individual slim cases, allowing the consumers to take part in a promotion and not destroy their set in the process. It's a great move by the company!

I was a bit sad to see Amy gone from the show, and in such an odd manor as well. I read the producers wanted to focus on the guys, and didn't feel like having a woman tagging along. I'd love to see some interviews with the cast for the third season, but I'm not holding my breath.

MrsSpooky
02-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Disk 2 is defective on one side. Unfortunately, I used up what was left on my Circuit City gift cards (Christmas presents) and ordered it online from circuitcity.com. Kind of hard to exchange. A couple of episodes are messed up on side B. :x And of course, both of them are messed up during DIRK'S scenes!!! Grrrr.

KINGFISH
02-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I found that the episode It Is A Desert out there stops four minutes into chapter four and only plays on one of my dvd players. People have complained to Universal on the subject of double-sidded dvds which fell on deaf ears.