PDA

View Full Version : The Forums are Changing

Tracy
01-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Folks,

Within the next little bit the forums as we know them here are going through a change. This board is run on the PHPBB system. We are changing things over to the vBulletin format.

The bulletin board is uploaded and being customized by MY tech God Warrior, who is responsible for all the hard work you see here everyday. The board will match the rest of the new website design ( so bye bye black and blue and hello browns and tans ) and will be ALOT more user friendly.

So, if you see the board down for a bit, or a bit of tinkering going on, don't be alarmed. We're simply "moving house" and it may take a bit to pack and unpack.

Tracy :)

deebeelicious
01-31-2008, 04:03 AM
See you on the other side!
Thanks to you & Warrior, and the other mods for your hard work! 8)

Darrell Lawrence
02-01-2008, 02:19 AM
As you have no doubt noticed, the forums are now the vBulletin. The layout is the vB default. I am working on the new look. If you want to follow along, you can change the layout at the bottom of the forums.

It is highly recommended that you check your profile information and update it as needed.

Please use this thread for questions and feedback.

Thank you for your patience.

deebeelicious
02-01-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm amazed at how smooth the change has been!
Hurrah! My fav mrgreen emoticon is here too! I feel at home already!

Congrats W & T for a job hardly noticed (like the best IT moves, the users don't notice the joins ;)

ostarella
02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
I liked the change to the tans (assuming this part will get that as well), but I gotta say I'm not fond of the new layout. Never have liked this style (on other forums). The other was much "cleaner" and easier to navigate (ie not as confusing to weak minds)...

sara
02-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi!
I must confess I'm a bit disoriented....
I think it's just a matter of practice, but for the moment I find it not so easy....

Tracy, Warrior.. Thank you for your work on the board and the time you're spending for us!

sara
02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Tracy, I know it's a very stupid question.. but I'm wondering.. what does the 2 symbols (green or grey ball and attention triangle) under our names in our replies?

Sorry and thank you!

John Pickard
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll answer that.
The ball is the indicator if they're on-line - green means they're here, gray means they're not.

The attention triangle is a means for someone to report an abusive post. If someone were to do so, another member just clicks on the attention symbol and a report is generated to send to the staff.

Does that help?

I am
Dawg

deebeelicious
02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I think red balls means I've gone to my User CP and chosen not to show when I'm online or not!
... I could say something smutty too, but I won't coz I'm a lady!

sara
02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I'll answer that.
The ball is the indicator if they're on-line - green means they're here, gray means they're not.

The attention triangle is a means for someone to report an abusive post. If someone were to do so, another member just clicks on the attention symbol and a report is generated to send to the staff.

Does that help?

I am
Dawg

Thank you Dawg!!!!!!!!!!
That's clear now!!!
Thank youso much for your explanation!

bibbi
02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I LOVE IT!
This is a wonderful change.

bibbi
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I wonder when the emoticons(smilies) are going be added.
*I see some of them already are*
I'm asking about choosing smilies to add to the replies.

Tracy
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Redoing a whole message board is a process, so not everything will be perfect right off the hop. Warrior has been working tirelessly ( not to mention under the weather :( ) doing this all for us. I'm sure everything will be completely set in a few days.
The main forum is running, which is the important thing.

Big HUGE gigantic pat on the back to Warrior for without his hard work, this place wouldn't be here at all :D

Tracy

ostarella
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Didn't mean anything against Warrior or the site itself! Honest! Always appreciative of the work you all do here. I'm just not a fan of this particular format. Like I say - weak minds... ;-)

Darrell Lawrence
02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
The smilies will be added this evening (my time).

bibbi
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
The smilies will be added this evening (my time).

WONDERFUL! :)

Darrell Lawrence
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Many basics are already installed ;)

Darrell Lawrence
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Didn't mean anything against Warrior or the site itself! Honest! Always appreciative of the work you all do here. I'm just not a fan of this particular format. Like I say - weak minds... ;-)Not sure what you're getting at here.

Are you referring to vBulletin vs phpBB?

Or the design "look" of the forums? If it's the design, are you looking at the default design, or the DBCentral design that I am in the middle of working on?

ostarella
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, I liked the old forum format, with the drop-down menus and not all the "linear" stuff. It was just easier to navigate for me. I'm not fond of the format like the CBB forums used - which is, I guess, the default format here (?). I know you're still working on it, so obviously I don't know what it'll be like when you're done.

Suffering from foot-in-mouth disease again, I guess. :(

John Pickard
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
vBulletin has a lot of bells and whistles phpBB doesn't, it has greater capacity, and it's more secure besides. The navigation does take some getting used to, though, because there's greater choice with vBulletin. Add to that the change in the look - I really notice the difference between the bright red and the dark purple. It feels funny reading dark writing on a white background, instead of the opposite!

I am
Dawg

sara
02-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Thank you so much for your work Tracy and Warrior!!!!

We do appreciate it so much..
It's a very hard work and we're luck to have you!

bibbi
02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I also wanted to say THANK YOU to Tracy and Warrior for the hard work that was put into changes at this site. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
I like the idea of tans and browns.
Tracy love your new avatar! Dirk always looking dashing in a tux.
...he looks dashing in everything!...... ;) :D

Darrell Lawrence
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, I liked the old forum format, with the drop-down menus and not all the "linear" stuff. It was just easier to navigate for me. I'm not fond of the format like the CBB forums used - which is, I guess, the default format here (?). I know you're still working on it, so obviously I don't know what it'll be like when you're done.

Suffering from foot-in-mouth disease again, I guess. :(Yeah. The default look is boring. Which is why I make my own template designs :)

Go to the bottom of the forums and select the DBCentral layout.

bibbi
02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Yeah. The default look is boring. Which is why I make my own template designs :)

Looks great in the DBcentral layout.
Can't wait to see the final layout.
AWESOME job! Warrior. ;)

bibbi
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I just saw how the new threads look and the added images.
WONDERFUL! AWESOME! FANTASTIC! WUNDERBAR! :D
*did I leave anything out?* ;) LOL

ostarella
02-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah. The default look is boring. Which is why I make my own template designs :)

Oh yeah - that's much nicer! I'll learn my way around eventually... ;-)

Denise Ross
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree with Ostarella it will take some getting used to. But then I don't know my way around computers. I am having trouble with the yellow I am finding it difficult to see. Maybe when the background color changes?

Darrell Lawrence
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
...yellow?

Darrell Lawrence
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh. You mean text in certain areas? The main text areas should have black behind the text. Some little areas of text haven't been adjusted yet though.

John Pickard
02-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Denise, are you using the "DBCentral" style?

For you and anyone else wondering: If you go down to the bottom of this page, down on the left, is a little window that will say either "--DBCentral" or "--Default Style". If it doesn't say "--DBCentral", make it say "--DBCentral". Right now Warrior's got it set up with a very high contrast.... White letters on black.

(If you're on DBCentral, though, and not seeing that - try hitting "refresh" to update your cache.)

Hope that helps!

I am
Dawg

Edit: Hi, Warrior! Didn't see you come in.....

UKJules
02-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Thank you Tracy and Warrior for the great new look here on the forum!! Your hard work is greatly appreciated and enjoyed by all!!!

I love it.....!!!

Take care

Jules x

Darrell Lawrence
02-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Edit: Hi, Warrior! Didn't see you come in.....>:) :)) :cool:

bibbi
02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I noticed the new smilies. >:) :cool:
I understand you're probably on working on adding smilies to the miscellaneous options?
I also noticed that when I edit my profile I can also keep the DBCentral skin as opposed to the default skin. I also noticed you can change your user title. ...hmmmm...I hope no one minds my using "the *real" Starbuck fan."
Dirk to me is the "one and only and real" Starbuck. ;)

Tracy
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I also noticed you can change your user title. ...hmmmm...I hope no one minds my using "the *real" Starbuck fan."
Dirk to me is the "one and only and real" Starbuck. ;)

It sorta reads that you are the only fan.
How 'bout....."Fan of the "real" Starbuck"??

That sounds, uhm, better :D

bibbi
02-03-2008, 07:28 PM
It sorta reads that you are the only fan.
How 'bout....."Fan of the "real" Starbuck"??

That sounds, uhm, better :D

Good idea!
I changed my user title.

bibbi
02-03-2008, 07:32 PM
It wouldn't let me put all those quotes in. It was too long.
I think it looks good.

ostarella
02-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, I'm playing with it - the site, that is - as you can tell. Still haven't figured out the smileys though. Where does the editor thing show up? I'm just seeing the icons at the bottom...? And I miss my smileys!!!! LOL

bibbi
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I think the smilies are still being worked on to be added to our replies. I figured out how to put some of them up without having to do that.
For example here's a devil. >:)

Darrell Lawrence
02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
If you use the quick reply box, obviously the smilies aren't there. However, if you scroll down a bit farther, in the Posting Rules box, you will see "Smilies are On". Click on the word Smilies.

bibbi
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
If you use the quick reply box, obviously the smilies aren't there. However, if you scroll down a bit farther, in the Posting Rules box, you will see "Smilies are On". Click on the word Smilies.

THANK YOU! :D

ostarella
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, the smilies was on and I think see what I was doing - or not doing, maybe. I was looking for the little box where we just clicked on it to put them in the message. If I "draw" them, then they show up. But then I have to draw them correctly, like :) and not :-)

Will there be the little "click box" somewhere down the road?

Darrell Lawrence
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
If you hit the Reply button, then a reply window should open up. That's where the smilies box is that you speak of (depending on your Profile preferrences as well)

bibbi
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
If you hit the Reply button, then a reply window should open up. That's where the smilies box is that you speak of (depending on your Profile preferrences as well)

ahhhh...I see. ;)
I changed my user title. I think Fan of *true* Starbuck looks a lot better. Then I might change it again like I do my avatars. :D

ostarella
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Okay, it must be in that Preferences then, because I only get the icons. Which editor do I need to have on for smilies? Right now it's set at Basic, so would I have to go to the standard or that third one?

bibbi
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Changed my user title again. :D
Fan of original Starbuck. I think that's perfect. ;)

John Pickard
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Okay, it must be in that Preferences then, because I only get the icons. Which editor do I need to have on for smilies? Right now it's set at Basic, so would I have to go to the standard or that third one?

Go for the third one. It's got the most bells and whistles. ;)

I am
Dawg
:cool:

bibbi
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
THANKS! Dawg! :D

bibbi
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm having lots of fun.....>:)
I love the way the site looks now! :cool:

Darrell Lawrence
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I tend to use the Standard, which is the second one.

But when you don't know the BB codes, etc, then that 3rd is the best, as it has everything right there.

ostarella
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh wow - just clicked on reply and it does have everything! :o I may post nonsense just to play with it >:)

No, not really. Thanks for the help, guys - all these new-fangled thangs are sew confusin... :D

sara
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry sorry sorry... I suppose I'm so stupid...............

But................ I don't understand WHERE I must select the third option..
In my profile?
I can make smiles only when I "draw" them... If I select one of them in the reply I write it puts the smile next to the title...

Zilfstar
02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi! What a wonderfull changes here! It is great!

And this thread is really helpfull! The DB-layout is great. I do have the same question as Sara. Where do I activate/ choose that third BB code thing??? What is it??

And OKAY I see I can choose an icon with the message, but how do I put in smileys within the text? (like I used to). Can't find them anywhere...

Well I did find my control panel so I changed a few things.
Really really like the new layout!

Zilfstar

ostarella
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I know! I know! (wildly waves hand) - go to your CP, then "edit options" button, then waaaaay down at the bottom you'll find "Miscellaneous Options" - you want "Message Editor Interface" and choose the "enhanced" one.

See - I'm learning! :D

Darrell Lawrence
02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
;) :) Good job :) ;)

ostarella
02-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Had good teachers :)

sara
02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
:D:D:D:D
THANK YOU OSTARELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works!!!!!!!! I managed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

bibbi
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry sorry sorry... I suppose I'm so stupid...............

But................ I don't understand WHERE I must select the third option..
In my profile?
I can make smiles only when I "draw" them... If I select one of them in the reply I write it puts the smile next to the title...

You are not stupid! I see you got it!
WONDERFUL job! :D

bibbi
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
OSTARELLA! GREAT JOB! :D:D:D
*yes...I know that's shouting!* ;)

sara
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
You are not stupid! I see you got it!
WONDERFUL job! :D

:oops:Thank you dear!!!
I'm not so confident as far as computers are concerned........ but I always try..... and my attempts allowed me to join this board some months ago and to know wonderful persons like you!;)

Zilfstar
02-07-2008, 03:44 AM
:D THIS IS GREAT!!!! :D

:)) OH MY G...: the possibilities. I thought chocolate was addictive >:) But now you just have to drag me out of here.

:p THIS IS FUN!!!! So thanks for the directions.

:confused: Curious what Dirk will be using for his blogging....:) Standard or Enhanced:cool:

Zilfstar (never to old to learn....)

Arciris
02-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks so much to all!!
I need to look it well for to know. Ha ha, I've too difficulties with the english but I will know!!!
Thanks!!
Good teachers are here! Yes!!
;)

Arciris
02-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Ohhh perfect!!!! :))
Thank you Ostarellaaaa!!!! And to all!!

I know I know, finally!!!!
Well, I'm a little silly..:mad:But finally, thanks to us, perfect!!!!
Thanks to all admins too.;)

sara
02-07-2008, 07:12 AM
:)):)) We're all enjoying it so much!!!!!:D;)

Thank you to Tracy and Warrior for their work!
Thank you Dawg, ostarella, Anne for the help!!

bibbi
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
You guys are silly! :))

OK...I got caught up in the nutiness too. :p

I think the members here are really going to have a lot more fun! :D

*we're a fun bunch aren't we!* ;)

Darrell Lawrence
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
...ummm Glad you're enjoying the new vBulletin, everyone :)

dbukfan
02-08-2008, 02:52 AM
...ummm Glad you're enjoying the new vBulletin, everyone :)

Hi Warrior:cool:

Just late quickly to say Hi:D...also to say Big Thank You...to introduce us to new version with Great Joy of DBC website!!

Pls Keep up the Good Works;)

Su...

Arciris
02-08-2008, 04:24 AM
ha ha ha Anne! ;)
Yes, Warrior!!! Thanks so much to you, to Tracy, Dawg and all the admins, and too to all members for his tricks for to put the posts.:D
We're enjoying it! :p
Take care!

bibbi
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I want to know if I can put an image in my signature. I know how.
But, does the forum have enough space on the database for it?

Darrell Lawrence
02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
We have the capabilities for that, *but* I have it turned off.

It's up to Tracy. If she wants to allow it, then we can turn that on. Myself though, I really don't see a need for signature images. If anything, I've found, at other places I worked on that allowed them, for it to get abused. Additionally, people on slower connections have a harder time because of the amount of images needed to load, etc.

Tracy
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

It's up to Tracy. If she wants to allow it, then we can turn that on. Myself though, I really don't see a need for signature images. If anything, I've found, at other places I worked on that allowed them, for it to get abused. Additionally, people on slower connections have a harder time because of the amount of images needed to load, etc.

Darrell is right. For those folks with slower connections, loading the images can be slow and frustrating. Also, the abuse factor is there. We don't want people adding photos to their siggy's that take up half a page either.

The new forum has so many other bells and whistles, but for now, we'll leave the siggy pics function off.

bibbi
02-09-2008, 11:50 PM

I agree with that. That makes a lot of sense to me. I've got a nice big avatar and I'm very satisfied with that. ;)

Denise Ross
02-10-2008, 10:49 AM
OK maybe i'm really slow but CP?

John Pickard
02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
"User CP" at the top of the page is the user "control panel". It's where you can set up the options to your liking, edit your signature, change your password, set up your time zone, etc.

It's kind of interesting.

I am
Dawg

ani
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Also, the abuse factor is there. We don't want people adding photos to their siggy's that take up half a page either.

Oh good. So glad to hear that ^^;

I think it gets kinda tacky to have both large avatars and large banners.

The A-Team shrine works because the icons are small, so the banners work out and balance, but when you have large avatars AND large banners in posts, IMHO, you just end up with eyesores and slow load times on places meant for discussions not photobucket.

bibbi
02-10-2008, 06:49 PM
"User CP" at the top of the page is the user "control panel". It's where you can set up the options to your liking, edit your signature, change your password, set up your time zone, etc.

It's kind of interesting.

I am
Dawg

I think it's FUN! :D

Nacky
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Is this our new look? Maybe we can interchange the old bg with some of the new? We still have that cool space bg, don't we?

John Pickard
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Nacky, are you using the "DBCentral" style?

Nacky
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Nacky, are you using the "DBCentral" style?

Nah, just saw this new forum look...I had to re-upload my avatar but no biggie. I did some looking around and we still have the old style in some of the areas. So it's all good. :D

Darrell Lawrence
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Old style... as in what? Cuz if you mean the DBCentral tan look, I'm not finished yet.

Nacky
02-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Er,...no. The space background...but it's still around in other areas, so it's cool. I was just being nostalgic :P

Love your avatar! I had recently gotten Pirates 3 on DVD and took my time watching through the bonus disc of special features...oh I love my Pirates DVDs!

Darrell Lawrence
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Can you post a link as to where you are seeing that?

ostarella
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
The only one I've found with the old background yet is the Gallery...:confused:

Darrell Lawrence
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Right. That hasn't been touched yet.

Nacky
02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Well don't touch it! Let's have everything including the kitchen sink! :P

Flash
02-17-2008, 04:49 AM
As usual I'm pretty late, but nevertheless I'd like to put my 10 cents in. I love the new look of DBC and even the gallery is now working for me :D Thank you warrior and tracy and the rest of the staff, you did a great job!

Tracy
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Glad you like it Flash :)

bibbi
02-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Its awesome! :D
*did I say that loud enough?* ;):))

Tracy
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

No but it's certainly pink enough :))

Flash
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM

No but it's certainly pink enough :))

:)) :)) :))

The different colours seem to be the most welcomed new feature here! Has anyone noticed that when you have multi-colour posts the picture starts to look like 3D, as if the different colours have different heights?? It happens to me every time, it's really great! :)

Tracy
02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
:)) :)) :))

Has anyone noticed that when you have multi-colour posts the picture starts to look like 3D, as if the different colours have different heights??

Only if I have a hangover. ;) I'm kidding! :D

I'm glad people are having fun with the new bells and whistles :)

Flash
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Only if I have a hangover. ;) I'm kidding! :D

I'm glad people are having fun with the new bells and whistles :)

That was NOT what I meant, Tracy! ;) Really, it's hard to explain and heights was probably not the right word. It just looks like...the brighter colours are more on top of the screen and the darker ones are deeper down...ah, never mind. :oops: Maybe it's just me, after all my eyes reacted funny with the old DBC design, too. It's still white on black, but somehow my eyes like it better now. :)

Flash
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
There's something that surprises me about the new forum, and I'm curious enough to ask the staff: with the old forum you had to log in even for reading while the new one only needs the log in for writing (like the old one used to be). Will the settings be changed to log-in-for-everything later or will the forum be open to read for everyone again?

(no preferrances, only curious, really!)

Tracy
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
There's something that surprises me about the new forum, and I'm curious enough to ask the staff: with the old forum you had to log in even for reading while the new one only needs the log in for writing (like the old one used to be). Will the settings be changed to log-in-for-everything later or will the forum be open to read for everyone again?

(no preferrances, only curious, really!)

Good question and something I should have addressed before, as the settings are now different.

The forum is now open to the public for all to read. This is to attract new members. You must be logged in to post however. :)

Flash
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Good question and something I should have addressed before, as the settings are now different.

The forum is now open to the public for all to read. This is to attract new members. You must be logged in to post however. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Tracy! It's a fair decision and hopefully the people will honour it, because DBC is the main place for Dirk fans to go - and almost the only one that's left on the net now (which surprises me - where are all the people who make up the loooong lines at Dirk's signing table at conventions?? :confused: )

Tracy
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Tracy! It's a fair decision and hopefully the people will honour it, because DBC is the main place for Dirk fans to go - and almost the only one that's left on the net now (which surprises me - where are all the people who make up the loooong lines at Dirk's signing table at conventions?? :confused: )

When I first came on to the Dirk scene with this place about 7 years ago, there were quite a few active Dirk websites going. First off there was Dirk's own site, Kamikaze Cowboy ( he opted to close it down and work through here instead ), as well as the Dirk Benedict Internet Fan Club. There was DBAnonymous.org that was quite popular due to it's picture/caption gallery. The site however hasn't been maintained for about 3 years now. Another great place was The Dirk Benedict Fanzine...a beautiful site maintained by a young 17 year old girl named Michelle. She closed it up when she graduated high school and went off to college I believe and didn't have the time to commit to it anymore. There were various Yahoo! groups that were very active, and of course the A-Team sites ( one of which is the Shrine, probably the best and longest running A-Team board out there ).

So yeah..times have changed. Although we're seeing a bit more of a resurgence since Dirk did Big Brother. Now we have a few Live Journals, such as Ani's "Dishing The Dirk", as well as a long running appreciation thread for Dirk on Digital Spy.

Well..a bit of a Dirk-on-the-net history lesson for you ;)

Flash
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
That's an interesting overview, Tracy, thanks! :) I knew about Dirk's Kamikaze Cowboy site and DBA, but both were old hats when I found them. Never knew about the yahoo groups and the fanzine, though. I guess by now I've at least found most of the Live Journals ;) BTW, are you going to write more in your own journal? I enjoyed reading it!

DS is a forum I like very much. Just to clear that up - it was me you chatted with about the office pic last night :D Hope you're not upset now :oops: I've got a different alias here (don't know why I did that actually, but it's too late to change it now), but I've started to use my DS alias on other places (like the Shrine) too. It's funny how you always bump into the same people on many Dirk-related sites :)

Tracy
02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
That's an interesting overview, Tracy, thanks! :) I knew about Dirk's Kamikaze Cowboy site and DBA, but both were old hats when I found them. Never knew about the yahoo groups and the fanzine, though. I guess by now I've at least found most of the Live Journals ;) BTW, are you going to write more in your own journal? I enjoyed reading it!

DS is a forum I like very much. Just to clear that up - it was me you chatted with about the office pic last night :D Hope you're not upset now :oops: I've got a different alias here (don't know why I did that actually, but it's too late to change it now), but I've started to use my DS alias on other places (like the Shrine) too. It's funny how you always bump into the same people on many Dirk-related sites :)

Ah so that was you at DS! ;) It's pretty much a safe bet that you'll see me on EVERY Dirk related board ;)

I'm hoping to catch up with my journal tomorrow since it's been a few weeks since I've rambled away on it. :D

ostarella
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Could we get a link to the Digital Spy forum? I had it ages ago, but now I can never seem to find the right one. :(

Zilfstar
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Funny question, Flash, about the log in. I never have to log in to write a post. I always seem to have access. Just as soon as I click on this link in my favorites (sorry, my childrens school is my homepage for I am active at school as a volunteer) I go to the Forum here and I can post replies etc. I guess somewhere (in my User CP?) I have made a a little v where it says something like: log me in everytime I visit?

Darrell Lawrence
02-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Your initial log in has a little box next to it that lets you select remaining auto-logged in.

Flash
02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Could we get a link to the Digital Spy forum? I had it ages ago, but now I can never seem to find the right one. :(

No problem, ostarella!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=21737196&posted=1#post21737196

That's the page we're currently filling... :)

Flash
02-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Funny question, Flash, about the log in. I never have to log in to write a post. I always seem to have access. Just as soon as I click on this link in my favorites (sorry, my childrens school is my homepage for I am active at school as a volunteer) I go to the Forum here and I can post replies etc. I guess somewhere (in my User CP?) I have made a a little v where it says something like: log me in everytime I visit?

Your initial log in has a little box next to it that lets you select remaining auto-logged in.

Which is very helpful - where it works. It never did for me, I guess something on my PC is blocking it :cry:

Flash
02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm hoping to catch up with my journal tomorrow since it's been a few weeks since I've rambled away on it. :D

Good to hear, Tracy, can't wait :)

bibbi
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I think the new forum looks great! Flash nice to see you at LJ!
Wie Gehts?
Deutsch bin Ich auch! ;)

ostarella
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link, Flash! :D Busily going through it now, grabbing up all the pics I don't have yet - it may be a loooong night. :o

Darrell Lawrence
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Which is very helpful - where it works. It never did for me, I guess something on my PC is blocking it :cry:I trust you meant "when" ;)

Anyways... it works on "cookies", so you must have "cookies" enabled in your browser settings.

bibbi
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
I really LOVE the colours of the forum too. :D *great teeth, eh?*
*I think that was big enough and pink enough* ;) :))

..hmmmm...did someone say cookie?....:confused:

ohhhh...you mean computer cookies not edible cookies! >:)
*sorry....I'm in a really good mood today and being a little bit silly*

Keep up the GREAT WORK on the site. :)

Flash
02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I think the new forum looks great! Flash nice to see you at LJ!
Wie Gehts?
Deutsch bin Ich auch! ;)

Hi Anne,

Mir geht's gut, und wie geht's dir? ;)

Yes, I joined LJ today and marked everyone I recognised from the forums as a friend right away :oops: I don't intend to write a journal (yet), but maybe it's easier to track the interesting LJ bits from the friends list. At least I hope so. :)

Flash
02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the link, Flash! :D Busily going through it now, grabbing up all the pics I don't have yet - it may be a loooong night. :o

:D :D

Have fun! We've been quite busy at times, posting pics. Especially Cicero loves it to post whole A-Team eps in screencaps ;). Her comments are always very funny! Of course there are loads of other Dirk pics, too. I've just posted two wallpapers last night and tonight.

To be honest, I think you'll need more than one night to go through it all :) :p

Flash
02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I trust you meant "when" ;)

Anyways... it works on "cookies", so you must have "cookies" enabled in your browser settings.

Yes, I meant 'when', sorry :oops: Thanks for the tip, Warrior, I've checked and Cookies are enabled in my Firefox settings :confused: It still doesn't work, never did, on any site :cry: Oh well, I'm used to it. At least this way I can't forget my passwords ;)

ostarella
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
If you go to Tools, then Options, then Security (on Firefox), there's a spot where it says Remember Passwords to Sites - I have that turned on, so every time I go to my favorite sites, it fills it in automatically. (Of course, I also keep them all written down - old age, y'know ;))

Zilfstar
02-20-2008, 04:48 AM
To Warrior: OH THAT'S IT! Well I find it very nice and usefull. I hate logging in and remembering passwords:)).

It all looks very great and nice and I guess we are really becoming a VERY serious site. (No offence please Tracy!:) It has always been serious and good, but with this new lay-out we can actually "compete" with the proffesional sites out there.)

How are things going with Dirks photo on the main/homepage? I know I have read something about changing it or having a vote about it (with a choice of pictures?) But I canot find the outcome of that discussion... :p

Personally I think a photo of Dirk with his "friend for ever" the cigar is THE choice. I mean: that is not only Dirk as Starbuck or Faceman. That IS Dirk. No cigar, no Dirk. That is his saying I believe? So why not on his own website?? ;)

Bit Off Topic: I hate it: there is no smiley with a ciggie... At least I cannot find it in the listing at the right. Just should be here if it exists. Warrior: can't you make one?:confused:

Flash
02-20-2008, 07:44 AM
If you go to Tools, then Options, then Security (on Firefox), there's a spot where it says Remember Passwords to Sites - I have that turned on, so every time I go to my favorite sites, it fills it in automatically. (Of course, I also keep them all written down - old age, y'know ;))

Thanks ostarella, I've tried that now. :) It fills in the password when you type the user-name, right? It seems like a half-automatic. I've got another program for remembering passwords which fills in everything as soon as you visit the site, but for some reason it doesn't work with DBC or DS :confused: I don't think keeping passwords written down has something to do with age, it's the only chance these days to remember all the different log-ins. ;)

bibbi
02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I remember all my passwords for all my user names at other sites. My friends call me a walking computer. :))
Flash I think if you asked Tracy to change your user name she'd be able to do it for you. She was kind enough to do it for me.
Just a thought.
I also have more than one browser on my computer just in case.
I chiefly use Firefox. I think it's the best.:)

Darrell Lawrence
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
It all looks very great and nice and I guess we are really becoming a VERY serious site. (No offence please Tracy!:) It has always been serious and good, but with this new lay-out we can actually "compete" with the proffesional sites out there.) Well... I don't think Tracy would be offended at all :)

I'm the one that designed the now old black and purple design :D

bibbi
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm the one that designed the now old black and purple design :D

Warrior you did a GREAT job with both designs! :D

Tracy
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
It all looks very great and nice and I guess we are really becoming a VERY serious site. (No offence please Tracy!:) It has always been serious and good, but with this new lay-out we can actually "compete" with the proffesional sites out there.)

First of all, Darrell gets every bit of credit for making this place look great. His hard work and artistry is more appreciated then he will ever know :)

"Competing" with any site out there is not why this place is here. It was not my intention to compete with anyone. I started this web venture with one sole motivation. A 12 year old boy. He was a good friend of my daughter's who died of Cancer. For nine years he suffered through six surgeries, countless hospitals, doctors, and chemotherapy. Before he finally said "enough".

I was lucky enough to meet a man who had survived Cancer. Who shared his story of how he survived it and how he survived it in a way that made total and complete sense to me. If my daughter's friends parents had of read his book, perhaps his future would have been more optomistic.

I am a Mom. A lucky Mom who has healthy kids and if I can be of assistance in any way to spread the news to other parents, I will. This place is here solely because of that.

All the acting, the tidbits, the news, is all Tahini on the rice cake for me.

"One grain, then thousand grains".

Namaste.

Zilfstar
02-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Hi Tracy,

Well "compete" is the wrong word I guess. Being Dutch I can not always find the correct words. I humbly apologize. That's is why I put it between " ". What I mean is hard for me to put to words in English. But I will try.

What I mean is this: I see a lot of websites besides this one. Even tried to make my own :cry:Disaster waiting to happen! It is a miracle the Internet did not explode while me trying my hands on a website!!!:p

There are a lot of very proffesional sites and they look amazing. There also are a lot of, well uhm... crappy ones;). NOT that this site was crappy in his old form. No way. It was very good. But now with all this amazing stuff added, the new look etc it really IS a proffesional site. And THAT is what I meant with "competing". In Dutch we have I way of saying something like that and very directly translated it came down to "compete". But I guess in English/ American it is NOT the correct way of saying that something is just as good (or better) as other things. (without making it a competition.) I only meant it as a complement.

I really hope this will clear it up. Since I had absolutely no intention to suggest we are a competitive site or group of fans! Not at all. I do not think Dirk would encourage that either. The whole idea you now mentioned deeply touches me and I (as a mother of 2 myself and having lost special people too also to cancer and in other ways) absolutely applaud you for that (if I write this correctly??)

:oops:oh, me and my big mouth...:(

Darrell Lawrence
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I think I get what you're after: This site is evolving and keeping up with the times?

Tracy
02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I think I get what you're after: This site is evolving and keeping up with the times?

I understand her now and think that's what she means :)

Zilfstar
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Warrior:
Thank you!!!!:)

That is what I meant.

Tracy, thanks for understanding me too...;)

Christy
02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
This is just a test ...OMG ! I think I've got it !!! :)) And I can even "work" the smilies now !!! :)) :) ;)

VERY COOL !!!

Ok...this concludes my test....for now....

Darrell Lawrence
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
So how's everyone doing with the new forums?

With the recent script upgrades, a few of my changes got reverted back to original, so I am currently going in and changing things back to what it's suppose to be like.

ostarella
05-07-2008, 11:32 PM
I honestly don't know how you keep track of everything. Bravo :D

bibbi
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
GREAT JOB! :D

asmay
05-09-2008, 06:12 AM
I second that! A big thumbs up for you!

Darrell Lawrence
05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
IE users should notice a slight change above their user title in threads :D

Mind you... I hate IE though. Wish Firefox would add in certain functions IE has though, like those name changes.

Tracy
05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
IE users should notice a slight change above their user title in threads :D

Mind you... I hate IE though. Wish Firefox would add in certain functions IE has though, like those name changes.

Liking the changes Darrell :) You wizard you ;)

bibbi
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Liking the changes Darrell :) You wizard you ;)

I 100% agree! I'm really liking the changes. :)

Sarika
05-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Hi Darrell, what a fantastic job you're doing!:)

May I ask when we might expect to see our profile pics and avatars appear with our public profile info again?

And do the rest of us get to post blogs soon too?

sleepy dave
05-19-2008, 03:09 AM
I have to say I don't think the colours or the layout work, there's too much going on and it's hard to see where things are. I've had to revert to the default view to find my way around easier.

bibbi
05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I Love It! ;)
I really like the colours too. :D

ostarella
05-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I have to say I don't think the colours or the layout work, there's too much going on and it's hard to see where things are. I've had to revert to the default view to find my way around easier.

I didn't like the layout, either, at first - but once I got to playing around with it and got used to things, I like it. It's actually easier to keep track of what posts I haven't read yet, which was one of my biggest problems before. The colors - I have to admit I did like the blue better, but this is growing on me. ;)

bibbi
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I deleted my original message. I kept on trying to change my profile photo, not the avatar. :confused: :)) I think I need a vacation.
Please ignore the PM I sent you Warrior.

I see the profile picture is 200 x 200. I was wondering if perhaps the avatar size could be increased?
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :D

Darrell Lawrence
05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
May I ask when we might expect to see our profile pics and avatars appear with our public profile info again?
Not sure what you are referring to here? I went to your profile and your profile pic and avatar are there.
And do the rest of us get to post blogs soon too?As I said before, that's Tracy's decision, not mine :)

Darrell Lawrence
05-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I deleted my original message. I kept on trying to change my profile photo, not the avatar. :confused: :)) I think I need a vacation.
Please ignore the PM I sent you Warrior.

I see the profile picture is 200 x 200. I was wondering if perhaps the avatar size could be increased?
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :DToo late, as I replied to the PM first :)

And no... I just DECREASED the size for NEW avatars, so I don't think I'll make 'em big again :)

Darrell Lawrence
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
...and lastly... I am discovering so many new things on the BACK end of this newer vB from my own site, that I am discovering I made a LOT of boo boo's in the design changes of THIS site, so I'll have to revisit what I did before. But that won't happen until I am done with my site ( www.3dgladiators.com/ if anyone is interested!)

Tracy
05-19-2008, 08:11 PM

The 200x200 size is plenty big. I'm not sure why you'd want a bigger avatar than that? :confused:

Tracy
05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Not sure what you are referring to here? I went to your profile and your profile pic and avatar are there.
As I said before, that's Tracy's decision, not mine :)

I am all for members having their own blogs, if Darrell would be so kind as to make the necessary keystrokes to activate them :)

Darrell Lawrence
05-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I think I got a hang nail stroking them keys :)

Blogs *and* Albums are activated.

Tracy
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM

OOOh albums too?! :D
Awesome!
Thanks hon ;)

bibbi
05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
The 200x200 size is plenty big. I'm not sure why you'd want a bigger avatar than that? :confused:

Sorry about the confusion. The avatar settings are 150 x 150 in the user CP. The profile photo is still set at 200 x 200.
200 x 200 is big enough for me. ;)

bibbi
05-19-2008, 08:38 PM

AWESOME! :D
I'm thinking of what I should write in the blog and what photos I should upload.
GREAT JOB! Warrior :D

Darrell Lawrence
05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
...and being the example setting guy I am, I changed my avatar to the smaller size :D

ostarella
05-19-2008, 09:29 PM
OMG. Blogs? Albums? You guys move way too fast for an old woman like me :o ;) Where do I get my learner's permit for all this new stuff? :eek:

Tracy
05-19-2008, 09:41 PM
OMG. Blogs? Albums? You guys move way too fast for an old woman like me :o ;) Where do I get my learner's permit for all this new stuff? :eek:

Too old?! Bah! There's no such thing. :cool:

You'll find the pictures and albums in your user CPanel. Under the heading "networking". I'm going to go in now and maybe post a few pics to try it out :D

ostarella
05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Too old?! Bah! There's no such thing. :cool:

Tell that to my son ;)

You'll find the pictures and albums in your user CPanel. Under the heading "networking". I'm going to go in now and maybe post a few pics to try it out :D

Okay - found the album thingy and uploaded one. :rolleyes: Cool. :D

ostarella
05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
One last question re: blogs and albums - when it says "Public" - is that Public type public, or "DBC members" type public?

Tracy
05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
One last question re: blogs and albums - when it says "Public" - is that Public type public, or "DBC members" type public?

I'll have to defer this one to Darrell for 100% clarification, but my *assumption* is as the forums are "public type public", so the albums and blogs would be as well.

If there are concerns about that, perhaps Darrell has an answer to make it accessible to members only.

ostarella
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I'll have to defer this one to Darrell for 100% clarification, but my *assumption* is as the forums are "public type public", so the albums and blogs would be as well.

If there are concerns about that, perhaps Darrell has an answer to make it accessible to members only.

I'm not sure it's a concern, really - but it would be nice to have that option, if it's not a huge hassle to do it.

Sarika
05-20-2008, 01:16 AM
As I said before, that's Tracy's decision, not mine :)

Ahhh...I have no idea why they didn't appear yesterday, when I was looking at my profile , but indeed they're there now...:confused:
anyhow, thanks for the reply Warrior:)

Darrell Lawrence
05-20-2008, 04:14 AM
One last question re: blogs and albums - when it says "Public" - is that Public type public, or "DBC members" type public?Easiest way to check it when something says "Public" is to log out, then try to look at it. If you can see it, then it's public public. If you cannot see it, then it's members only public.

bibbi
05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Really liking the changes. :D
I noticed that when you want to change your avatar you can either upload from your machine or use an url (address).
Warrior, do you think it would be better to keep the field blank?
Instead of http://www. keep the field blank and then you simply just paste the url in.
When I see a website for an image I want I usually just right click on copy(the entire url) and then click paste.
Good idea? :confused:
KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC, GREAT, OUTSTANDING WORK! :D

bibbi
05-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Easiest way to check it when something says "Public" is to log out, then try to look at it. If you can see it, then it's public public. If you cannot see it, then it's members only public.

I noticed it's not viewable to the public. As an example I was trying to look at the members list when I logged out. I had to be a member to see it. I like that. :)

Darrell Lawrence
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Re- URL for upload: You can just paste it in. Highlight the stuff that is there and just delete it/paste over it.

For public stuff: There are different level of groups. Admin is one, active members is another, then there is Users Awaiting. They registered but haven't activated, and then Visitors/Not Logged In.

We can pretty much set permission access for EACH group, letting them view what we want them to view.

For example: The permissions were OFF for active members to create Blogs or to view Albums/create albums. I changed those permissions for the regular membership, and viola'!

bibbi
05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Re- URL for upload: You can just paste it in. Highlight the stuff that is there and just delete it/paste over it.

For public stuff: There are different level of groups. Admin is one, active members is another, then there is Users Awaiting. They registered but haven't activated, and then Visitors/Not Logged In.

We can pretty much set permission access for EACH group, letting them view what we want them to view.

For example: The permissions were OFF for active members to create Blogs or to view Albums/create albums. I changed those permissions for the regular membership, and viola'!

Thanks for the information Warrior. :)

bibbi
05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
...and being the example setting guy I am, I changed my avatar to the smaller size :D

Darrell you are da man and a genius! ;) :D

ostarella
05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, question number 10245 :rolleyes: Is there a way of finding who has albums, like the blogs? Or could there be? :eek:;)

KamikazeCowgirl
06-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow I have been away for a while, new computer, lost passwords etc etc. Finally worked out I was spelling my own user name wrong!!!!

So I finally make my way back in and find the builders have been in painting and decorating in my absence !! Well done to Tracey and Warrior for so much hard work.

A change is as good as a holiday :)

Flash
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, question number 10245 :rolleyes: Is there a way of finding who has albums, like the blogs? Or could there be? :eek:;)

This answer is a little late because I didn't notice the question before, sorry. As far as I've found out you have to visit a user profile to see whether he/she has a public album or not. It's a little uncomfortable, but I haven't found another way yet...

bibbi
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
This answer is a little late because I didn't notice the question before, sorry. As far as I've found out you have to visit a user profile to see whether he/she has a public album or not. It's a little uncomfortable, but I haven't found another way yet...

I've got an album in my profile. I don't have it set to public.

bibbi
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I just got a PM from Darrell at LS...good to go!

bibbi
07-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Darrell you are a GENIUS! ;) :D

Darrell Lawrence
07-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Not a problem on your end. It was a tiny little hack I had in place before, but the latest little upgrade didn't like it.

bibbi
07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I noticed the background colours and texture is a little different. I like it. :D

Darrell Lawrence
07-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Imagine that... I wonder how that happened :D

deebeelicious
07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Ooh! I just noticed the photos in the top banner - v sweet!
LOL - from the first picture I'm guessing Dirk needed braces as a kid - to get the perfect white smile of his! :)) :p
:oops:
Have they been up long - or have I just not noticed! :oops: :eek:

ostarella
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
This place is getting to be like a giant treasure hunt - with new "treasure" constantly showing up for us to discover. I like :D:D

Darrell Lawrence
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
:)

Flash
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
The site is always improving! I like the changes, good work again, Darrell! :)

(Just two little things:could you please check the link section? Some of them don't work anymore. Maybe they can be replaced by others? And the 'post a comment' button in the blog section is almost unreadable, maybe you can change the colour of the font? Or is it just me who searched the button for ages?:oops:)

bibbi
07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
VERY NICE! :D

Me likey very much *yes...I know how to speak English* ;)

Darrell Lawrence
07-15-2008, 11:11 PM
The site is always improving! I like the changes, good work again, Darrell! :)

(Just two little things:could you please check the link section? Some of them don't work anymore. Maybe they can be replaced by others? And the 'post a comment' button in the blog section is almost unreadable, maybe you can change the colour of the font? Or is it just me who searched the button for ages?:oops:)The links are one of the first things I noticed when I did the new pull down menu... so at the time you posted, they were already changed ;)

As for the post comment link (and many other text colors), they'll be changing over the next night/day or so.

Flash
07-16-2008, 03:01 AM
The links are one of the first things I noticed when I did the new pull down menu... so at the time you posted, they were already changed ;)

As for the post comment link (and many other text colors), they'll be changing over the next night/day or so.

Wonderful, thanks, Darrell! Guess I was too impatient again, huh? :oops: That's me, I've either too much patience ore none at all ;)