PDA

View Full Version : Nikolaus

Petra
12-06-2007, 03:08 AM
Hello everybody,
today in Germany it is Nikolaus! :D The children put their shoes in front
of the door and the "Nikolaus" will put some chocolate inside the shoes. It is a big
tradition. And, we "older children" are happy, if the "Nikolaus" is putting
something in our shoes, too. :wink:

In other countries is Santa Claus doing the same?

Many Greetings

Petra

Lily
12-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Sadly no , its a bit of panic and mayhem over here in the uk with the commercial side advertising a lot. ( poor old Santa)
The only thing that is done at home ( that I know of) that marks Santa coming is an advent calender filled with choccies as the day gets closer.
Then schools nativitys will start (sadly that depends on the school, a lot won't do a nativity but a christmas play based on the other stories of christmas)
Maybe those with kiddies will give you a better picture as what will happen.

However, Newstead Abbey will open with a festive decor and the parks will have events leading up to the 'big day' with little markets that do old fashioned wooden toys and gingerbread etc, Lincoln has its major christmas market where a lot or stall holders dress in victorian costume and kiddies sing and others see the cathedral ( which was used for the Da vinci code film) which is lit up at night.
Plus Panto season starts... oh no it doesn't ,oh yes it does and he's behind you.... all the kiddies shout at the theatre.

In our market square we have our first ever outdoor ice rink!!!

Petra , Give my regards to 'Nikolaus' on his busy day today, that sounds a lovely thing to do xxx

bibbi
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Hallo Petra!

I celebrate Nikolaus too. I too am German. Even though I was born in Canada. It's been a tradition in my family since I was a child.
I introduced this tradition to a friend of mine. She loves it!

Machs Gut!
Anne :)

LZaza
12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I have great respect for any tradition that involves chocolate! :D

sara
12-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi Petra!
Last year I was in Austria in that day.. and I was so excited when they told me about this tradition.
I found it so nice!! Unlukly we don't have anything like that in Italy..

BTW, in Austria I saw a parade of "Krampus": monsters which are in contrast with Nikolaus and "frighten" people.. a sort of general exorcism of bad things.. very suggestive acually! I was quite impressed..
Do you have Krampus too? In italy they don't exist.. :roll:

Petra
12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Hello Sara,
no, I never heard about Krampus. We haven't Krampus in Germany.
Only the friendly "Nikolaus" :D

Good to hear of you again, how are you?

Greetings

Petra

bibbi
12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Krampus? That's really interesting. I haven't heard of that either. I'm going to look this up on the internet.

sara
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Petra and Anne!!

Krampus are really incredible: men wear masks a and fury dresses.. they seem big monsters full of hair in all their body. They've got horns and devil masks and they've got big bells at the belt (like cows' bells) so they are very noisy and walk all together with twigs in the hands.. and they "hit" people on the street.. they've got also a carriage with a fire on it.......... really impressing!!!! Austrian people told me their shows are on St Nikolaus day: they are the evil and people who meet them is facing and winning against the evil, as St Nikolaus did... a sort of massive exorcism of bad things...
There's a great partecipation in Austria.. they're really well prepared and dressed.. you should see... if I were a child I'd be really frightened! :oops: :lol:

Petra
12-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Hello Sara,
thanks very much for the interesting info. I can good understand, that you were
frightened as a child. (If I would see Krampus to this time, I would be afraid too) :oops: :wink:

Many Greetings

Petra

sara
12-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Eh eh eh !! Petra.. we're sensitive women..........! :lol: :lol: :wink: