PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Movies

Tracy
11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I LOVE Christmas movies. Puts me in the spirit leading up to the day.

My favorites movies are:

1. Miracle on 34th Street ( the original with Maureen O'Hara ).
2. It's a Wonderful Life ( with the great Jimmy Stewart and his "aww Mister Potter" stammer )
3. Scrooge ( with Alistair Sim and they *always* show it on Canadian TV Christmas Eve ).
4. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer ( I loved this movie as a kid and it stayed with me :oops: )
5. Santa Claus is Coming To Town ( another animated one, but hey, it's got Fred Astaire in it :D )

Those are my faves. :)

Petra
11-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Hello Tracy,
yes, I love Christmas movies too. My favorite is 3 Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel,
it is a Cinderella Story from 1974 (I think) and it is so romantic. I see this movie every
year in the Christmas time (blush, blush) :oops: Well, the music from this movie is also very good.

Greetings

Petra

deebeelicious
11-14-2007, 06:07 AM
I love 'The Shop Around the Corner' starring Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan (1940).

It looks like it was originally a stage play (I don't know :? ), but the plot and other actors are great too, especially Pepi, the Delivery Boy.

The Christmassy bits come at the end, when Alfred (Jimmy) and his mate are trying to get Clara (Margaret) into buying Alfred a wallet as a gift (instead of a musicbox), without her realising it. :P And when the shop owner takes the new delivery boy, Rudy, off to the best restaurant in town for Christmas Dinner (coz their both alone :cry: ).

*thinks of Jimmy Stewart - swoon*. 8)

I also like Miracle on 34th St, Die Hard (the terrorists crash Bruce's wife's company's christmas party :?) and Poseidon Adventure - Gene Hackman climbing down (or is that up :?) the upside down Xmas Tree to rescue everyone. :P :oops:

bibbi
11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
My favourite X-Mas movies are.

1. A Christmas Carol (with Alistair Sim)
2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer ( I have a copy of the movie. Loved it as a kid still love it now) :oops: :lol:
3.It's A Wonderful Life (I love the scene where the angel finally gets his wings and the bells wring)
4. White Christmas (with Bing Crosby)
5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (I have a copy of this movie)
6. Miracle on 34th Street
7. A Muppet Christmas Carol (you have got to see that. Kermit the Frog is Bob Cratchett. It's funny as hell and at the same time very heartwarming)
8. How the Grinch stole Christmas ( the animated one with Boris Karloff)

Those are my favourites. :D

BCgal
11-14-2007, 11:07 AM
My favourite has to be A Christmas Story - will Ralphie get his Red Ryder BB Gun? I watch it every year to see what happens ;-)

Lily
11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I like the Nightmare before Christmas the Tim Burton one.
I also love 'its a wonderful life' too James Stewart is sublime in that film.
'The Snowman' is another one I love, simple animation and very very charmimg.

sara
11-15-2007, 04:56 AM
1. Miracle on 34th Street ( the original with Maureen O'Hara ).
2. It's a Wonderful Life ( with the great Jimmy Stewart and his "aww Mister Potter" stammer )
3. Scrooge ( with Alistair Sim and they *always* show it on Canadian TV Christmas Eve ).

Oh I adore those films Tracy!!!!
We watch them in the Italian version.. but they're absolutely fine!

On TV during Christmas night all channels present concerts and religious celebrations...
We're too connected with Vatican (in many different ways.. :? )

Denise Ross
11-18-2007, 09:17 AM
My absolute favorite is Holiday Inn the old black and white with Rosemary Clooney,Bing Crosby, and Danny Kaye. The song White Christmas premiered in this one. After that it would have to be The Grinch and The original A Christmas Carol. We never seem to miss Charlie Browns Christmas either. I guess you never get to old for the classic cartoons especially at Christmas. This year will be a bit different for me I start a new job on December 3rd. Still in the Natural / Organic Food industry but no more retail!!! :D I'm looking forward to it.

bibbi
11-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Another movie that I forgot to mention is The Sound of Music. Well...it's not really a Christmas movie but it seems to be shown on television around Christmas time every year.
I tend to watch it around Christmas time. I have it on VHS. I think I'll get it on DVD.

Lily
11-19-2007, 04:58 AM
You too ? yep the sound of music alongside Bond films and the wizard of oz get shown at christmas in Blighty...

Christy
11-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I also love the 5 that Tracy listed....along with bibbinut / Anne's...White Christmas w / Bing Crosby...and BCgal's...A Christmas Story....plus

.....my other Favs :
Frosty the Snowman / animated
The Santa Clause w / Tim Allen...1st ( and in the 2nd movie I love the part where "Santa" uses his "magic" to take the love of his life for a sleigh ride / with snow falling....well, only "over them"..... :wink: ....soooo romantic ! :oops: )
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation w / Chevy Chase
While You Were Sleeping w / Sandra Bullock......the "story" is "during" Christmas & New Years.
Sleepless In Seattle w / Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.....this too is "during" Christmas & New Years and also Valentines Day.

We ( mostly mom and I ) try to catch all of the above when they're on TV. It's just not Christmas without watching them....all..... :wink:

deebeelicious
11-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I just remembered another fav, The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant and David Niven. Cary and Sylvester, the taxi driver take the Bishop's wife (Loretta Young) ice-skating in central park, lovely - can't believe its not on youtube to show you! :cry:

This is the nearest I could find ... :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYbpXk77iBg

Ice skating at 2.04 (doesn't show the best bits! :cry: ) and lovely dressing of the Christmas Tree at about 4.30. 8)

Cary grant portrayal of an angel falling in love is wonderful, and makes one feel 'honoured' and 'glad' to be a human ? :oops:

On a side-track (moi! :oops: :roll: ), just a reminder that money's for living, not the other way round ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhhooAVi0o&feature=related

ani
11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
My absolute favorite is Holiday Inn the old black and white with Rosemary Clooney,Bing Crosby, and Danny Kaye. The song White Christmas premiered in this one. .

That's actually a very common misconception, as th name of that moive is White Christmas. White Christmas is actually a sequal to the movie 'Holiday Inn,' staring Bing Crosby and Fred Astire. It was in this movie that the song White Christmas actually made it's debut.

Danny Kaye was brought in on White Christmas, btw, because Fred Astire refused to be in it as he was retired at the time.
This random bit of informaiton was borught to be listening to my Grandparents :D

My Family's traditional Christmas movies aren't even Christmas movies. :P
We usually end up watching:
1. Lady Jane (and who has not seen this should SEE IT)
2. The Court Jester (speaking of Danny Kaye)

Mom tries to make us watch It's a Wonderful Life but I'm on critical overkill with that movie, as ar my sister and my brother, so we tend to flee the premises if she tries to put it on :roll: .

Petra
12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi everybody,
last weekend I saw first The Nightmare before Christmas (Tim Burton).
What I wonderful movie and the music is fantastic (I only saw the german one at tv,
but at youtube the english music-version too) :D

I really love that film.

Greetings

Petra

bibbi
12-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I was just watching The Nightmare Before Christmas too. I really like it too.
Also, this isn't a Christmas movie. The Wizard of Oz.
It's my all time favourite movie. I have it on DVD. I always watch it at Christmas time too.
it also seems to be shown on TV as well as this time of year.

deebeelicious
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
.... My Family's traditional Christmas movies aren't even Christmas movies. :P

Is that the film with Helena Bonham-Carter and Patrick Stewart? That was a great film - I just imdb'd it, and see that Trevor Nunn directed it - great cast & crew! 8)

PS, Love Night b4 Xmas too! :wink:

ani
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
.... My Family's traditional Christmas movies aren't even Christmas movies. :P

Is that the film with Helena Bonham-Carter and Patrick Stewart? That was a great film - I just imdb'd it, and see that Trevor Nunn directed it - great cast & crew! 8)

PS, Love Night b4 Xmas too! :wink:

Yeah, that's the one.
Heh Stewart plays The Earl Grey.
This amuses my father and I more than it should.

It's also got Carey Elwes and IIRC he was offered the Princess Bride role of the strength of his performance in this movie. Or the other way around. I don't recall offhand which came first.

bibbi
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
My brother has a copy of Lady Jane.
I think I'll watch it over the weekend.
I'll let you know what I think of it.
I've seen The Court Jester with Danny Kaye. I really enjoyed that movie.

ani
12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
It's an amazing movie.
I can't say enoug good things aobut it.
I find the story and thec haracters meaningful in so many ways, and I think the humanity of it all, good and bad is so powerful, but understated.

It's just a wonderful work of art.
Historically it's a bit spotty, but what historical drama isn't?

Watching this movie with my father was the first time I ever saw him cry over a movie btw. Mom and I always cry at one part, but he cried at a whole other part and it really gave me beautful insight into how much us kids mean to him and how seriously he takes his role as a parent, which at nine is jsut amazing because . . . you are kinda selfish when you are a kid, so it was kinda a shock to think about what sacrifices dad makes.

Whereas mom and I just share deep emtional connection because we find all the same things movie, all the same parts sad, all the same guys hot *L*

So part of why I love this mvie so much is the connection it gave me to my parents.

*Thnks* ok I'll say this. It's a better human tragedy story than McBeth IMHO.
(and I'm only not saying Hamlet because of the site I'm on :P )

Tracy
12-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Lady Jane is a good film.

Reminds me of another period piece that I watch at the Holidays too and recommend.

"A Lion In Winter" :)

deebeelicious
12-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Lady Jane is a good film.

Reminds me of another period piece that I watch at the Holidays too and recommend.

"A Lion In Winter" :)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063227/

Pete & Kate were great in that - so bitchy towards each other! :P

Though I have to say my fav 'historical drama' though not really v Christmassy, is 'A Man for All Seasons' - Paul Schofield was amazing at Thomas More. And check out the line-up - all great actors here - won't get many cast lists like that nowadays!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/

bibbi
12-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm going to be watching Lady Jane tomorrow night. I've also seen the Lion in Winter. That is an excellent film.

Petra
12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi everybody,
on Dec. 26 our tv in Germany will send Alaska :D , but it's in German, not the voice
of Dirk :( and without the really voice, it's not really Dirk.

English versions are much better :D

Many Greetings

Petra

bibbi
12-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I'll be watching How the Grinch stole Christmas this evening and then A Christmas Carol
(both of the original versions). I'm having friends over and we'll be celebrating this evening and then I get to celebrate again tomorrow. :D