PDA

View Full Version : Recipes from around the world

Tracy
11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Well I shall be the first to post a favorite holiday recipe of mine :)

Since I celebrate Christmas, and am of British birth and heritage, one of our favorite Christmas treats is Plum Duff. A beautiful steamed cake ( that my sister makes better than me! ) and has been a Christmas staple in our home for many years :)

Plum Duff

2 eggs
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. prunes
1 c. flour
1/8 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 T. milk

Cook and mash prunes. Beat eggs. Melt butter.
Mix eggs, butter and brown sugar together.
Stir in prunes. Sift flour with salt.
Dissolve soda in milk.
Add flour and milk mixtures to prune mixture stir this in by hand.
bake this in a buttered ring mold covered with foil
(it is a steamed pudding).
Set mold in pan of hot water and steam in oven for 1 1/4 hours at 350 degrees.

Serve with:

Sauce

1 egg.
5 T. melted butter
1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1 c. whipping cream

Beat egg till foamy. Add butter and beat.
Add confectioners sugar and blend.
Beat in whipping cream.
Refrigerate.

sara
11-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Thank you Tracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :P
I'll try new recipes this year!!

BTW, if anybody is interested in recipes of Pandoro, Panettone or Torrone (just look for links on the topic "Christmas" to see photos), just ask and I'll translate them for you! :wink:

ciao!!!

UKJules
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone.........here in England we traditionally have "Christmas Pudding"......I think it's similar to your "Plum Duff" Tracy...........the only problem is our one is dense in texture.......so, after eating a big Christmas lunch........there is normally not alot of room for the pudding :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_pudding

If anyone is interested.....here is a recipe for a Christmas Pudding - It should be sufficient for 4 x 1lb puddings(a great gift for your friends & family)........I got the recipe book from a teashop in Norfolk......they won "Top Tea Place of Great Britain 2003" You can adjust the ingredients to suit :wink:
(the measurements are in grams or ounces......whatever you prefer - I'm sorry I don't know what they are in cups) :wink:

250g - 8 oz Soft Margarine
500g - 1lb Raisins
500g - 1lb Sultanas
125g - 4 oz Candied Peel
185g - 6 oz Soft Brown Sugar
185g - 6 oz Self-Raising Flour
30g - 1 oz Sweet Almonds (chopped)
Grated Rind & Juice of 1 Lemon
3 Large Eggs
250 g - 8 oz Breadcrumbs
Half a nutmeg - (grated)
4-5 Tablespoons Rum
Pinch of Salt
Milk to Mix

Clean the dried fruit thoroughly, put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, followed by the blanched almonds, the beaten eggs, grated rind and the juice of the lemon.
Mix thoroughly. Add the rum and sufficient milk to a dropping consistency. Stir well. Leave for between 24 - 48 hours before mixing thoroughly again. Transfer the mixture to the basins. Place greaseproof paper over the top of puddings and cover with muslin and tie with string. Steam for 6 - 8 hours. The puddings should keep for up to one year if kept in a cool dry place. When ready to eat, re-heat - steam for 2 - 4 hours.

Tracy
11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
UKJules,

Your recipe is pretty much the same as what the folks in N. America refer to as "fruit cake". You're right, it's alot heavier than Plum Duff

We used to joke that you could keep fruit cake forever because of the rum in it. After Christmas you could use it as a paperweight, a doorstop etc ;)

dbukfan
11-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Hi All

I'm on and always be on Diet :lol: ..this year..The Starter'll be :arrow:

Avocado with Prawn (stuffin' :wink: ) and French Dressin' Salad with few garnish Rocket leaves...alternatively for fully vegi...can use beans stuffin'...as below :wink:

Brown rice (cold)
Any kind of small cooked beans (that you prefer :D )..ie Aduki, Lentil & etc.
fine chopped onion/spring onion
chopped small cube peppers
few dried canberries
few chopped dried nuts (any you fancy :D ) or chopped cooked wild mushroom :D
few drops of olive oil
few seaweed
drops of soy sauce
Optional:Salt & Peppers
Mix it all well & then stuff in the middle of Avocado!!..Voila :D

Bon Appetite...x

UKJules
11-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Tracy,
Good idea for the leftover "Christmas Pudding"............It would make a great doorstop/paperweight :lol: :lol: :lol:

sara
11-15-2007, 04:57 AM
WOW!!! Thank you!!!! I'm eatingChristmas pudding this year!! :lol:

sara
11-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Ok Friend, It's my turn:
TORRONE:
http://www.sottocoperta.net/bambini/ricette/torrone.asp

300g honey (clear honey)
350g sugar
2 egg-whites
150g almonds (no peel)
150g hazelnuts
50g pistachio nut (if you want)
wafers: we call them OSTIE - their absolutely similar to religious hosts (so thin, white, almost transparent - I've got some difficulties in translating it!! :oops: :lol:

Cook honey in a double saucepan (let it boil)
put egg-whites (beaten till they are like snow)
Let it cook till it seems to brake easily
Take it all away from fire

Cook sugar witha little water till it becomes caramel (not dark!!)

Almonds, hazelnuts and pistachios are warm in oven. (they can be less tha written before if you prefer)

On the fire put caramel in the first pot (honey+beaten egg-white) while mixing.
Always mixing add Almonds, hazelnuts and pistachios.
Mix a lot for a long time, slowly..

Pour that all in a plate covered by wafers/hosts (on the top and at the bottom of the torrone)

Press it, leit is become cold and make sticks

It can be eaten alone or added to other cakes.........

Enjoy!!!
:D

Lily
11-15-2007, 05:50 AM
This is not a traditional uk christmas pudding but , because I provide the christmas pudding for the feast and they are all chocoholics, this is on its 3rd request as the christmas pudding this year, so I can see it being traditional.

The amount serves 4 and is very easy to do ( apolopogies to Dirk this is sooo naughty)

Gooey chocolate puddings.
125g of dark good quality chocolate. finely chopped ( or kept well wrapped ,fling it onto the floor, very quick and easy)
125g unsalted butter.
3 large eggs.
150g of sugar.
35g plain flour.

Method.
Melt choc and butter in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Whisk every now and again until melted.
in another bowl, whisk together the eggs , sugar and flour until just blended.
Then whisk in the melted chocolate and butter, set aside to rest.

grease 4 250ml ramikin dishes with butter, and add flour to the greased dishes, tapping out the excess.
Pre heat oven half an hour before you want to eat pudding, 200 degrees centegreade or gas mark 6. Leave them in whilst you eat the main course, for these are pudding that have to be done at the last minute, so you can pour into the ramikins put them on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 -12 minutes ( however I have known them to take 20 mins so be aware)
The tops should be firm and cracking slightly and the edges are set.
serve immedietly with a jug of cold cold cream for the insides which are melting and gooey and very hot.
Enjoy.

It is very easy pudding to do, and very rich I'm afraid xx
( i use 200ml ramekins dishes and find you can squeeze an extra 2 puddings btw)

bibbi
11-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Here is a recipe for a traditional Christmas bread eaten in Germany called Stollen

*German Stollen*

*There is nothing like a German stollen, that classic Christmas bread.This stollen will keep for weeks if wrapped in foil, and stored in a cool room. Do not refrigerate. A cool room is sufficient.*

* 1 1/2 cups raisins
* 1 cup golden raisins
* 1 cup candied fruit
* 1 cup chopped blanched almonds
* 1/2 cup dark rum
* 2 envelopes dried powdered yeast
* 1/2 cup lukewarm water
* 2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon butter
* Grated rind of 1 orange
* 6 - 7 cups flour
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon cardamom
* 4 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup melted butter to brush over dough
* Confectioner's sugar to dust top of dough

METHOD

Night before: Soak raisins, candied fruit and almonds in rum. Keep at room temperature. In the morning, drain and set aside, reserving rum.

Dissolve yeast in warm water.

Scald milk with 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, butter and orange zest. Stir in rum. Cool to lukewarm.

Sift together flour, nutmeg and cardamom.

When milk has cooled, stir in yeast and 2 cups of flour. Mix well and set in warm draft-free place for 15 - 30 minutes.

Stir in lightly beaten eggs and sugar. Gradually mix in remaining 4 to 5 cups flour. Dough should be soft, but not sticky, just dry enough to be handled. Knead dough on a floured work surface for 5 minutes.

Place dough in lightly greased bowl, cover and put in draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

Punch dough down, return to floured work surface and add dried fruit and nuts, and work into dough while kneading. Fruits and nuts should be evenly worked into dough. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.

Cut into three equal pieces. Roll or flatten each piece into an oval 3/4 inch thick, pinching the ends to close.

Brush top of each with melted butter and sprinkle with a little sugar. Place loaves on buttered baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Covered loosely, and leave in warm place for about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until risen about 2/3 larger.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake loaves for 35 - 45 minutes, or until loaves turn golden brown.

Brush with butter and dust with confectioner's sugar. Let cool on wire racks.

Wrap tightly in foil and keep in a cool place for 2 to 3 weeks to ripen.

When ready to serve, dust with another sprinkling of confectioner's sugar.

Yield: 3 loaves

Guten Appetit. :D

sara
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Thank you Anne!!!! :D
I'll give it to my mom.... :roll: :lol:

bibbi
11-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Here is a German Christmas drink It looks lovely and is even better to drink! :)

Hot Mulled Wine (Glühwein, "glow wine")

Ingredients (serves 2-3 persons)

* 1 bottle of dry red wine (750 ml)
* one lemon
* 2 sticks of cinnamon
* 3 cloves
* 3 tablespoons of sugar
* some cardamom (or ginger)

Directions
Heat the red wine in a pot (don't boil). Cut the lemon into slices and add to the wine. Then add the cinnamon, cloves, sugar and a little cardamom (to taste). Heat everything for about 5 minutes - do not boil - and let stand for about an hour. Before serving, reheat and strain. Serve in prewarmed glasses or mugs.

Tracy
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm getting fat just reading this thread ;)

BCgal
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh I think I'm going to try that hot mulled wine, sounds good on a cold night! :P

BCgal
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Simple Shortbread

This is my step mothers' recipe, I make it every year, very buttery and yummy!

-1 pound of butter
-1 cup of white sugar
-4 cups of all purpose flour

Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly add the sugar until the mixture is 'fluffy'
Gradually blend in 3 1/2 cups of flour until well blended.
Knead dough on counter that has been covered in the remaining 1/2 cup flour until dough cracks. Roll dough to about half-inch or so thickness then cut into your favourite shapes. Put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a 300F oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool and dust with some powdered or regular sugar.

This year I'm going to try adding in some dried cranberries I think. Although they are pretty good without anything added! :P

bibbi
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I too am getting fat just reading this thread and also drunk! :wink:

dbukfan
11-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Just wonder whether Dirk'll share few of his fav. MB Christmas dishes with us :wink:

Any idea, Tracy 8)

Bon Appetit :D

Su...x

deebeelicious
11-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Here is a favourite New Year's Eve party dish. Normally it is served for Nawruz on 21 March (the oldest New Year celebration day because it marks the end of winter and start of the new growing season/spring), but in the West is also often served on 31 Dec too. :lol:

I'd love some feedback as to whether it is acceptable for macrobiotic diets? :?

Haft miwah / Haft seen = Seven fruits = Ambrosia

1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup peeled almonds
1/4 cup peeled walnuts
1/4 cup black raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup apricots (preferablly pitted/stoned and chopped)
1/4 cup sweet red cherries (preferably pitted and chopped )
1 tablespoon rose water

It's one of the easiest recipes there are - just add water and wait - the trick is to remember to prepare it in advance! :wink:

For those who need more details ...

METHOD

1. If you haven't bought peeled nuts, you can easily make these yourself as follows:
Pour boiling water over the pistachios, almonds and walnuts. Let sit to loosen their skins. When the water has cooled to tepid, dip your hand in the bowl/jug and squeeze the skins off the nuts. The skins will rise to the surface and can be skimmed off. (I can't tell you how many times I've done this :roll: but it's not too tedious and feels quite warming! :oops: )

2. Drain and rinse all the ingredients (except the rosewater).

3. Place all the ingredients (except the rosewater) in a large jug with double the volume of water. Store in the refrigerator for at least 3 - 4 days. Yes it really does take this long to get the sugar out of the fruits! :shock: If the ingredients expand and there's not much liquid left, add more water (a big jug is required for this recipe!)

4. The natural sugars in the dried fruits will be released and the water will become very sweet. The fruit and nuts will be soft and tasty.

5. Just before serving, taste the water and dilute if required (or if you have extra unexpected guests and need to eek out the dish! :wink: ). Add the rosewater and stir. Serve each person a bowl or cup containing some of the fruits/nuts and liquid with a spoon, so they can eat the fruits/nuts and then drink down the lovely liquid.

Note - sometimes not all stones are succesfully removed from dried fruits, so you might need to warn guests to be careful if they are not familiar with this dish? :?
Note 2 - different families/regions have a slightly different list of ingredients :wink: so please don't complain if this list is not your own 'definitive' recipe? :?

xx

dbukfan
11-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys

Just wonder you all may be interested a quick Health check after all those Puddings :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom to find the BMI calcualtion :!:

Good Luck, Everybody....and Stay Healthy :D..I'm on OK Zone :wink: ..so I can scoff few more puddings :lol: nt mnth 8)

Su..x

Arciris
12-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi!!
Thanks so much for your receipes. Ohh, good, I'm hungry then to read all this. :lol: :lol: I'm doing a diet but now I can't then your delicious foods.
Saraa, I know panetones and Torrons, here we've torrons too, is typical in Crhistmas and in ice cream in summer. Mhhhh.
We've too "polvorones". They're paste of hazelnut, almond and honey, sometimes too pinions.
Crhistma's day for dinner we've a soup of paste and broth with meal. If this broth exceeds the following day is kept to do "canelones". Is a bought mass done and inside coils the meat and to the furnace. Of desserts, turrones, golden purls of cinnamon and a sweet wine. :wink:
A day less for Christma's. :P
Take care.

deebeelicious
12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
christmas lecture at work this year is
'you are what you eat, so eat yourself to death'. Very festive! :P
I think I'll skip that and eat another mince pie instead! :P

bibbi
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I think I'm going to bend my eating healthy rule this Christmas. :wink:
*I'll promise to be good in the New Year!* :lol:

ani
12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
This is our traditional Christmas morning breaksfast:

TOURTIERE (Canadian Pork Pie)

1 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. water
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Cook all ingredients together except pie crust, stirring constantly until meat is light brown in appearance, but still moist, about 4-5 minutes.
Prepare favorite pie crust.

Pour mixture into pastry lined pie plate, cover with top crust that has slits in it. Seal and press firmly around edges with a fork. Bake at 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.

My maternal grandmother is French Canadian and this has been a family tradition since forever and gets passed down. It's especially good with hot sauce, which I suppose is out Texas twist *L*

You can make a version of this with Tofu if you are like my sister and vegetarian. Usually she just forgoes the pie (or takes just one bite to "honor her mother" as she puts it) rather than have anyone make a whole other pie just for her, but she brought a friend for Chrismtas last year who was vegan (she'd been stranded in the South for Christmas), and mom insisted we'd do a vegetarian version and it came out *really* good.

Sadly, I don't have a receipe for it, and you can't just substitue tofu for pork because the spices are too strong for the tofu, so mom and I winged it with the spicing until we had a small batch of tofu that we agreed tasted good and went with that, but IIRC we never wrote it down :roll: