PDA

View Full Version : Will The Real Faceman Please Stand Up?

LZaza
10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
This was inspired by comments on the favourite episode thread, and because I've never belonged to a site where anybody discussed Face before, so here's my chance to bring it up. :wink:

I've noticed that in fanfiction Face's more egotistical traits are usually toned down. Those ones that make you cringe--like when he pretends not to know Murdock at a fancy Country Club, or when he changes his autobiography so that the other Ateam members are diminished.

And ironically, I've preferred the fanfiction portrayal to a great extent over than the TV Series, which I stopped watching when I realized that Face wasn't Starbuck. Now, having said that, when I started reading Ateam fanfiction, my infatuation with the Ateam began anew, and now I have the collection and enjoy them much more so, probably because that little image of fanfic Face is in the back of my mind, explaining away the selfish and egotistical tendencies that I found so difficult to swallow.

Lisa

ostarella
10-12-2007, 04:02 AM
I think that's one of the joys of fanfic - one can take away the crap the show's writers pulled and do the characters "right" :lol: Although, to be honest, there are a lot of stories out there where Face's lesser attributes are magnified to the point of sickening - whiny, childish, even girlish. Yech. But I've even found BA to be much more interesting in fanfic than in the show - much more likable, at any rate. He was soooo boorish on TV... :roll:

LZaza
10-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Who are your favourite Ateam fanfic authors, Ostarella? I'm curious. And do you write any yourself?

Lisa

ostarella
10-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Oh, favorites are hard! Junkfoodmonkey, Closetfan, Charon, Auntie Hill are just a few. But there are a lot of good stories out there that are the author's one and only, so...It really depends on what kinds of stories you like. Even slash - I don't care for it myself, but if you drop certain parts, there are some good stories in there, too. :roll:

And yes, I do write fanfic as well - under the name Shadowwalker213. I'm "inches" away from having a website up that will have all my stories on it - just trying to work out a couple little glitches.

LZaza
10-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Ah. "Neverness" was one of my all time favourite stories. Challenging how we saw Face, yet not succumbing to the temptation of returning him to his former glory. Full of gut wrenching angst, and action. And proving that Face doesn't need good looks to get the job done. Kudos to you.

Lisa :)

ostarella
10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks! :D :oops: That does seem to be a favorite for a lot of readers.

LZaza
10-13-2007, 11:14 PM
BTW, will you be posting a link to your website when it's up? Please?

Lisa

ostarella
10-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Will do. I'm just waiting for my son to check a couple of things - I wrote the code myself and it's been a looooong time since I worked with anything like that, so there are a couple glitches. Of course, it would help if I'd quit changing my mind about how I wanted things to work :roll:

BCgal
10-14-2007, 12:07 AM
The thing I love most about Face Fanfiction (though I've only been reading it for a tiny amount of time,there sure is a lot of it!) is that each writer brings something different to this character. It's fascinating really.

I used to write A-Team fanfiction when I was a teenager only back then I didn't know it was fanfiction and didn't know anyone else who wrote it! Fast forward a dozen years and it's wildly popular (well at least it seems to be on here!) so now I've started writing my own story. Sad to say I'd be too embarrassed to post it on any site because I'm sure people would judge it as I make Face too sappy or something. :oops: Then again, we are our own worst critic!

LZaza
10-14-2007, 12:16 AM
You sound like you should join the list that Ostarella was telling me about. I know when I joined the BSG list, I sat and observed for a bit, then decided, what the heck, they seem like a decent bunch, I think I'll write something. And I hadn't written anything since College at that point, other than the odd angst ridden grocery list.

I can't speak for the Ateam, but the BSG list is a really warm, receptive, encouraging bunch of folks. It's a wonderful environment to start writing in. It motivates you, and you learn a lot. Now, I'm wagering that the Ateam list is similar.

But regardless of what you decide, good for you! Sitting down and getting started is the most important part. And you're right about us being our own worst critics.

Lisa

ostarella
10-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Due to recent events, I am withdrawing my support/recommendations for this group:

ATSB-2 (for A-Team fanfic)

LZaza
10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Sounds great. Now I'm tempted again . . . but hubby would kill me if I joined one more list. Think . . . think . . . think . . . groan

:?

Lisa

BCgal
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Well my husband already thinks I'm kind of crazy for starting up my Dirk obsession again and writing again.....so what the heck I might as well contribute ;-) Besides, he needs his own 12 step XBox program :x Frickin Halo 3! Teehee....well I'm not looking for anyone to say "oh gee that was great" and then really they hated it. Honest feedback is good. Guess I'm just chicken! :oops: Maybe I'll just finish the story (which will take me a while anyway as I think it's turning into a long one) and by the time it's done I'll have worked up the courage to post it!

LZaza
10-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Sometimes that's why it's nice to lurk for a while. I think it normalizes the whole concept of writing on a list, and opening up yourself to criticism from a group of strangers. You can see what other people are submitting, and learn from feedback of their works, while you're getting up the confidence to post something of your own.

I have learned a lot from not only criticism of my works, but other people's work. It's amazing how much you can forget about writing in twenty years. It's even more amazing how much you never knew to begin with. And there's always something else to learn. It's fascinating.

And fanfiction is unique in that everybody can see different things in characters that they want to express.

Lisa

BCgal
10-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Lisa :) You've definitely put it into perspective for me.

bibbi
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I would love to see more Face fan fiction. I'd like to write some myself.
THANKS! for the link.
ostarella can't wait to see your website. :D
...hmmmmm....*maybe I might change my avatar to Face* *then maybe not*......tough decision! :wink: :lol:

BCgal
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I tell you what I sure wish I was at home right now writing my lovely story instead of stuck at work :evil: Stupid rain, stupid working-work-a-living :x Only 2 more hours before I can break free and head home to a dry house and a hot notebook ;-)

bibbi
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I've been jotting down some story ideas. Got lots of them in my head right now.
I know what you mean by working for a living. Even though I'm self-employed, I also do IT work. It does take up a lot of your time.Gotta keep a roof over your head and you gotta eat and pay the bills. I tell you I work weird hours. :shock: Sometimes getting home around 3 a.m. and then splat..... right off to bed. But, it's very good money. :D I've got a day free on Friday. So...I'll be writing some Face stories. Where do we post these? :? Brain is fried right at the moment... :lol:

ostarella
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Due to recent events, I am withdrawing my support/recommendations for this group.

If you want critiques and help developing/improving your writing, you can join ATSB-2

BCgal
10-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the link Ostarella, I will check it out for sure :D