PDA

View Full Version : Againest meat.but not smoking why close this post?

scotslass34
03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Did any of you actually read Dirks book?..,he did say that if your arteries weren't full of all the meat,sugar and salt the smoke could get through your system,hense smoking doesn't cause,never did cause cancer!.

I am a smoker and I believe what Dirk says before my doctor, I last saw a doctor in 1999 and they talk alot of rot. If it wasn't for smoking or drinking the doctors wouldn't have a clue what was wrong with us., they would sit and scratch their heads like they do with me.

The one thing I would like to ask Dirk is this.,and he says it on more than one occasion in the COAKC book "you get what you deserve"! I was sexually abused as a child did I get that because I deserved it? And please don't end this post Dawg because I am a huge fan of Dirk since I was 11 years old( I used to escape via the A-Team during my S**t childhood) he even left me with a fetish for wrists,watch the old A-Team re-runs and you'll see why. I laughed out loud at his book and am despeate to read "And then we went fishing" but would like to know alll his other fans opinions on this subject, especially the smoking, as it is now the 1st anniversary of the smoking ban in Scotland and it hasn't made any difference to the Scottish people's points of view( except the teenagers,it's one of the rebellion things to do now that it's been banned), but thats how the Brittish gov works.

:roll:

ostarella
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd have to get my copy out again and reread it, but I know I was a little confused about that "deserve" part myself. But I *think* he was referring to what we do to ourselves, the choices we make - in other words, if we deliberately make choices that are bad for us, we deserve the results. Again, I'm trying to remember the context, but that's the way I think I'd interpret it. I mean, obviously Dirk himself hasn't deserved some of the things that have happened to him, either...

bibbi
03-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi! :D
I too am reading Confessions and have read that remark what we "deserve" made by Dirk.
I agree with ostarella and that the remark could be taken out of context.
What Dirk meant to say is what we actually do to our bodies, ourselves and our choices and whether or not we make good or bad decisions regarding all that.
That's what I think he meant and got from reading that in his book.
I haven't finished the book yet, but have stayed up late at night reading it.
I find the book fascinating and can't put it down!
I also have "And Then We Went Fishing", it's missing a couple of chapters...:x
But, hopefully I'll find an intact book.

take care,
Anne :)

deebeelicious
03-25-2007, 04:20 AM
I am a smoker and I believe what Dirk says before my doctor, I last saw a doctor in 1999 and they talk alot of rot. If it wasn't for smoking or drinking the doctors wouldn't have a clue what was wrong with us., they would sit and scratch their heads like they do with me.:

Dear All

I'm sorry but I'm not clear what ScotsLass34 is trying to say. If it is that smoking is 'OK' and doesn't cause harm, then I have to sincerely disagree.

The point about smoking is that the chemicals (natural and not) in the tobacco smoke are inhaled into the lungs, causing damage there which leads to lung cancer.
Please see the following web-sites and I'm sure there's more out there.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/lungcancer.htm
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/incidence/
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2962
http://www.roycastle.org/campaign/issues.htm

I'm sure the chemicals going round the body through the blood system are important for the secondary smoking related diseases, but these are not quite as likely to occur as the primary disease. Unfortunately lung cancer is very aggressive, and only a small % of those diagnosed with it survive more than a couple of years at the moment. Perhaps 'alternative' therapies have better outcomes than orthodox medicine, but I would suggest that it is better not to 'test' the body in such a way in the first place?

If you (and Dirk and anyone else) would like to 'prevent' lung cancer by only smoking cigars (with the argument that cigars have less processed chemicals in them than cigarettes), or by eating macrobiotically, or any other way, you are welcome. If you think it won't 'happen' to you, so you don't do anything, again, you are welcome to follow your own personal choice. However I personally don't think such methods will work. There has been a drop in male lung cancer cases over the last 30 years because more men have stopped (or never started) smoking, and likewise there has been a rise in women's lung cancer cases over the same period. Really can we not have a 'debate' about whether smoking is harmful or not. It is very harmful, if you don't want to believe the 'doctors' then please investigate the stats yourself.

I would hate for this site to become sponsored by BAT (British American Tobacco), how does that film go 'Thank you for Smoking'.

On a last note, Dirk is (as I understand from his books) not 'anti' doctors or science per se. He says himself that doctors are great at patching people up after physical accidents, eg broken bones, muscle strains, etc and also he is not anti science. If anyone here wants to 'believe' in the power of 'crystal healing', etc, please don't say that you're doing it to 'follow' Dirk. Unless I see such stuff in his writings or interviews, I'm not going to assume Dirk 'believes' anything someone else wants to project onto him.

I wish you all best wishes,
DeeBeeLicious

moviemogul
03-25-2007, 07:25 AM
I would have to agree with DeeBee, I admire Dirk and think he is great and also any information that can inform others on a healthy diet is indeed very helpful. But for the smoking thing, I would have to disagree, smoking I know is bad for you. I had a brother in law who died of prostate cancer several months ago, he smoked through it all and he didnt stand a chance. Smoking with all its chemicals cannot be good for the body, putting any foreign substance, (chemicals in food, drugs, and cigarettes) into your body cannot be recommended. Food if laced with chemicals I am sure has the same effect also.

dbukfan
03-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Dear All DBC Fans

To smoke or not to smoke...good question for us all for a debate.....may I join in....

I do agree that smoking can def. harm/kill.....more than do U any good...even one who didn't smoke...just hang around the smoker...also can drop too...no jokes..one of ex-colleague @ work...just died at the age of 60...& funny thing is, he never smoked...but he's prob. been hanging around people whor puffing away in the room as him in them day...which must be quite long time ago....luckily I'm in the modern day office....smoking prohibit signs r everywhere............I just teased my boss the other day...how about putting a funny piccie of all office staff, holding on a big cigar (like Dirk) on everyone's hands....with him in the centre + full of faky smoke around...then hanging on the top of that sign!!..haha!!

Dirk and few people out there r quite dead lucky, that they didn't get a C word in their lungs...I certainly hope he's not!!...despite starting to smoke at 10!!...til this day..goshh!!

Perhaps...there's a truth in his diet & active/healthy life stlye...that's balance it..& it's keeping him quite fit, young at his age....which inc not eating meat too.

Let's be honest, V all can't be good in every way..there must be some weakness within at some point ie smoker, chocoholic, snack crackers, drinky dawn til dusk & etc.....come on, guys...do not being to hard on Dirk...I frankly don't like the smell of cigar or cigarettes neither...but because I adore him v much...so pls carry do what U want to do, Dirk...if it does make U happy and didn't harm anyone.....LIFE is too short...I'm sure he's already aware of it anyway.

I think, destiny is unavoidable....if it's time to go, U'll go at any time, any day and at any age....come on, guys....Let's all be happy, be more positive towards every min. of our lives............U never know the power of the mind'd go a long...long way...............

Take care

dbukfan...x

*** Cigar is not something little..it's between sanity & insanity *** (DB @ BBC interview)

ostarella
03-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Frankly, I'm a little tired of the smoking "debate" - it's PC to knock smoking and smokers. I've been smoking since I was 11 (that's 40+ years) and as of my last physical I was as healthy as someone 20 years younger, other than a congenital heart problem. My mother smoked from her late teen's - gosh, she only lived to be nearly 91. See what smoking will do? Don't even get me started on "second-hand smoke" - a joke! But again, anti-smoking is PC, and a money-maker for a lot folks, so...

We lecture smokers to kingdom come, but look at all the people who are overweight and the health problems they have, yet we shrug off failed diets or blame it on heredity, or even addiction. And what about the people who have a few drinks and then get in their car, turning it into a maiming, killing machine? Look at the jail terms and fines they get - you'll have to look hard, though. And how many of us obey the speed limits? Think that won't kill you - or some innocent bystander? Ever walk down a busy city street and tried to smell fresh air instead of exhaust fumes? Lived near a factory? Downriver of a dump site?

It's easy to focus on smoking. There are a heck of a lot of things out there that will kill you a lot quicker...but those are the things that "most" people do, so I guess that makes it okay. :roll:

bibbi
03-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone! :D
I myself lost loved ones to lung cancer from smoking.
I also belong to the Canadian Cancer Society.
I myself am a non-smoker and am against smoking.
Why do I have an avatar with Dirk smoking in it?
Because I respect people's rights.
Some of my friends smoke. We talk a lot and often argue about smoking.
Smoking does cause lung cancer. There is no question about that.
It's the chemicals in the cigarettes that cause it. Anyone, ever read what's actually in a cigarette?
You might as well dump toxic waste down your throat.
Second hand smoke is a serious issue. I went to a funeral with a friend of mine. Her friend died from lung cancer. That person was only 35. That person never smoked in her life.
Sure things can kill you faster than smoking. I don't dispute that. Some people can smoke for years and not contract lung cancer. That's been known to happen. Unfortunately, those instances are rare.
I am against smoking, because my Father died at the age of 54, cause of death, lung cancer and heart attack. My fiance died at the age of 58, cause of death, lung cancer.
My Mother became an alcoholic after my Father's death and she died from pancreatic/liver cancer. She was only 67.
I admit that I hate cigarettes with a passion and you can see the reasons for that.
But, I also respect my friends that do actually smoke. It's not my place to dictate to them nor control their life style.
I would like to also say that I believe it's not just PC to help people stop smoking or support those campaigns. It's a campaign for life.
Whose chiefly to blame are the tobacco companies which put all the chemicals into the cigarettes.
Cigarettes kill. Alcoholism kills. Obesity kills. Drug use kills.
I am also an advocate against drunk driving and a member of the Al-Anon(I never was an alcoholic, but belong to the society because of my Mother) and an advocate for people who have an addiction to drugs.
I am not being PC. I am campaigning for LIFE.

take care,

Arciris
03-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Hello to all!
This is a delicate subject...
I'm smoker too, and I know perfectly that this is bad. And for me, is very bad, because I have a congenital heart problem and I take peacemaker from twenty-five. I'm thirty-two years old, now. I'm leaving it and I smoke less than before.
I'm conscious of all but my problem is congenital and I had also had it with the passage of the years. Ostarella, I don't know if your problem is the same. I often feel tired, more than the people of my age but I try to make normal life. I have many desire to live and I don't know if I will live many years or not but, those that I live, I want to live them best the possible thing, like the most of people.
When I saw Dirk smoking in the house, I thought that your cigars are differents, because like he said, they aren't cigarrettes..are cigars, or pures (I don't know if is correct the word in english). He doesn't breathe the smoke for inside his body. I think that no is the same that the cigarretes that I smoke. These are more danger.
Like Anee say, I respect people's rights, too, and I want that the people respect my rights.
In any case, every time is prohibited it in more sites, here in Spain the norms are very strict, now, and I know that in other countries like yours, too. This helps us to control more the vice. I think...
I agree, cigarettes kill, alcoholism kills, obesity kills, drug kills, stress kills, and many other things...
The most important is have consience and to try to improve. Really?
Thanks for our links to webs about this subject.
Have a nice day, friends!

ostarella
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Frankly, I'd like to see this site go "smoke free". There are plenty of smokers here who get more than enough pressures and censures about their choice in the "outside world", and it would be nice to talk about Dirk and his arena without having more of it... It's not like anyone's going to change their minds, either way. :roll:

bibbi
03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi eveyone! :D
I agree with ostarella. We could all carry on this "smoking debate" until we're all blue in the face! :o
I think everyone has said their opinion and I respect everyone for doing so.
It's nice to be able to discuss things with everyone here maturely and not insult anyone.
Anyway, I'm nearly finished reading Confessions and have tried a little bit of macrobiotic cooking.
I'm beginning to actually like it!, it does grow on you after a while. :D
Anyone had a chance to read "And The We Went Fishing"?
I'm trying to get an intact book, a couple of chapters are missing from the one I got from the used bookstore...bummer... :(

Take care,

Arciris
03-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Hi eveyone! :D
I agree with ostarella. We could all carry on this "smoking debate" until we're all blue in the face! :o
I think everyone has said their opinion and I respect everyone for doing so.
It's nice to be able to discuss things with everyone here maturely and not insult anyone.
Anyway, I'm nearly finished reading Confessions and have tried a little bit of macrobiotic cooking.
I'm beginning to actually like it!, it does grow on you after a while. :D
Anyone had a chance to read "And The We Went Fishing"?
I'm trying to get an intact book, a couple of chapters are missing from the one I got from the used bookstore...bummer... :(

Take care,

Hi!
Yes, I agree with you, too!
I like differents opinions about this subject and it's very interesting read all.
I don't have "And then we went fishing" :cry: . My sister have for me Kamikaze but she live in other area of Spain and when she come here will give me it!! :P
Have a nice day!!