PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Browser

Darrell Lawrence
01-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Folks, I just switched over to the Firefox Browser.

This browser kicks butt!

It's more stable than IE and has some features that IE doesn't have.

It's compact as well! When I downloaded it, I was expecting that huge IE or Netscape download.

This was only 4+ MB! It installs fast too. Took less than 5 minutes to have it installed and running.

I used to be a nothing but Netscape guy. Then I had to start using IE because of certain things I was doing in web design. Then Netscape 6+ came out. That bogged my system down too much.

So I went back to IE.

Firefox blows them all away!

Tracy
01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
D..
Do you have a link to where one can go to download this kick butt browser? ;)
I have to check it out!

Tra..

Darrell Lawrence
01-23-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Darrell Lawrence
01-23-2005, 09:55 PM
An interesting article on Firefox that was posted on Yahoo just today!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_bi_ge/firefox_co_creator

Tracy
01-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Well I downloaded Firefox and though "gee this looks a bit like Netscape!" . Then I read the article you posted the link for.
That explains why ;)
Nice browser though :D

ostarella
01-24-2005, 04:10 AM
I guess I'm too old for changes. My son installed Firefox for me (twice, actually), telling me how much faster and more secure it was. I don't about the security, but it just seemed much slower to me. Otherwise I couldn't see much difference. When I tell my son that, he just shakes his head with *that* look on his face... :wink:

ghighfield
03-04-2005, 04:40 AM
As a further note, you should probably be aware that the US CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team which is a government agency) has listed Internet Explorer as "insecure" and suggests using another browser. The preferred candidates that they mentioned were Firefox and Opera. There are several cool features in Firefox that are not present in Internet Explorer including tabbed browsing and builtin popup blocking. Another really cool feature of firefox is the capability of adding "extensions". These are for lack of a better term "micro tools" that add functionality to the browser. Extensions can include tools that do such things as show pages previews beside each listing when searching with google, blogging tools, document handlers, etc. The download site is www.mozilla.org. While you're there you might also check out their Thunderbird mail client. It's safer than Outlook Express and has built in ( you have to start them though) SPAM filters and junk mail rejection tools.

ojai22
04-08-2005, 02:19 AM
I actually downloaded Firefox on my own and still don't know how I accomplished it. Recently I found these messages on another board and thought you might find them interesting:

---------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Upgrade your FireFox !

There is a new vulnerability that has come to light within the FireFox browser.

I'm prohibited from going into detail, but if you are Not running Version 1.0.2, PLEASE upgrade ASAP:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Viper

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I and my team of miscreant code jockeys in my day J.O.B. played with this newly discovered firefox vulnerability a few days ago and I would UNDERLINE the 'please' in Vipers post...upgrade ASAP folks.

kevlico

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK, I finally accomplished this.

I remembered that computers are actually run by magic (certainly not by logic... except maybe the fuzzy kind) , so I put on my special shoes and my tinfoil hat. Then I had to uninstall my OLD version of Firefox, discovered that I couldn't uninstall the NEW version because, though it had appeared to install properly yesterday, it had not. It wasn't really there, but it wouldn't go away. So I rebooted, went across the room, picked up the computer and observed with satisfaction that it had stopped making those random clicking noises. Hah! I was starting to feel better. Then I downloaded the new version of Firefox AGAIN, followed Viper's instructions, went to the desktop (where there now resided FOUR copies of the Roboform Adapter- amazing!), opened one of them, clicked the appropriate button, closed my eyes and repeated, "There's no place like home." and ta-da!! Success!!

Thank you, Viper...I thought I was doomed to live in the Land of the Internet Explorers forever, but you helped me escape.

Susan
-----------------------------------------------------------------

When I read the messages above I went back and downloaded the newer version. Firefox immediately said what do you want me to do with this! LOL I kept clicking on things and somehow it worked. I now have it working, or so it tells me.

ojai22