PDA

View Full Version : Curry rice in a pancake

MontanaCowgirl
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I cooked this for my family yesterday and they seemed to like it. They said it looked like bought from a super market. Since I'm not really the great cook in the family (or they just won't let me), I tried to make something healthy, without meat and stuff. I think Dirk's book has really made me a more thoughtful person. I have changed my eating habits and now I also have a closer look onto all the things I fill my stomach with.

Okay, this meal might include a few non macrobiotic ingredients, I'm sorry, but those are healthy anyway...

I don't give an exact specification of the amount of ingredients. Just take as much as you think tastes good for you.

Curry rice...
I took converted rice (brown rice might do it as well). Cook it in hot water for about 20 minutes and then add the curry. Mix it until the rice turnes yellow.
Cut onions and paprikas (all colors) into little pieces and sweat them. You can do that while the rice is still boiling. Then you put the rice, onions and the paprikas together in a bigger pan and mix them again.

The pancake is made of water, wheat flour and salt. Mix it all together with an agitator, but keep the dough liquid. If it's getting too stiff, just add a little more water. Now all you have to do is to bake thin salt dough pancakes and Voila! You're done!

Put some curry rice onto one side of the salt dough pancake and flap it.

:arrow: Tip: Don't wait too long, it can dry up easily.

(I'm sorry for my language, but I hope it's comprehensible. Cooking still demands a lot of a special language.)

MrsSpooky
08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I cooked this for my family yesterday and they seemed to like it. They said it looked like bought from a super market. Since I'm not really the great cook in the family (or they just won't let me), I tried to make something healthy, without meat and stuff. I think Dirk's book has really made me a more thoughtful person. I have changed my eating habits and now I also have a closer look onto all the things I fill my stomach with.

Okay, this meal might include a few non macrobiotic ingredients, I'm sorry, but those are healthy anyway...

I don't give an exact specification of the amount of ingredients. Just take as much as you think tastes good for you.

Curry rice...
I took converted rice (brown rice might do it as well). Cook it in hot water for about 20 minutes and then add the curry. Mix it until the rice turnes yellow.
Cut onions and paprikas (all colors) into little pieces and sweat them. You can do that while the rice is still boiling. Then you put the rice, onions and the paprikas together in a bigger pan and mix them again.

The pancake is made of water, wheat flour and salt. Mix it all together with an agitator, but keep the dough liquid. If it's getting too stiff, just add a little more water. Now all you have to do is to bake thin salt dough pancakes and Voila! You're done!

Put some curry rice onto one side of the salt dough pancake and flap it.

:arrow: Tip: Don't wait too long, it can dry up easily.

(I'm sorry for my language, but I hope it's comprehensible. Cooking still demands a lot of a special language.)

Sounds YUMMY!! One question: what is meant by "sweating them"? Never heard that term before. :)

John Pickard
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
"Sweating" is similar to "saute'ing" in that you're cooking them in a skillet, but in a "sweat" you're cooking them over low heat, more slowly. This releases the essential oils more slowly (in a saute, over high heat, they go off quickly and they turn brown quickly).

I am
Dawg
8)

MontanaCowgirl
08-02-2006, 02:11 PM
"Sweating" is similar to "saute'ing" in that you're cooking them in a skillet, but in a "sweat" you're cooking them over low heat, more slowly. This releases the essential oils more slowly (in a saute, over high heat, they go off quickly and they turn brown quickly).

I am
Dawg
8)

Exactly, I don't like the word "sweating" your meal... they use the same word in German (anschwitzen). It sounds disgusting, but that's what it's called :roll:

Only sweat the vegetables a little, because later you'll put them into the big pan with the curry rice and have to heat them up again, so they will get brown in the final step and not before... well, at least, I don't think you'd like charred vegetables :lol: