PDA

View Full Version : Dirk's short stories

MontanaCowgirl
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
In Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy Dirk mentioned that he was writing short stories. Will he ever publish some of them? Maybe a third book as a collection of short stories. :D

Verity
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Dirk himself mentioned that he was writing a third book; "Montana Memoir - Notes from a Dangerous Wordsmith", I believe is the title. I read confirmation of this as far back as 2002 so, like the Falklands War Task Force, it's mighty slow in getting there!

Hurry up, Dirk! Whatever you write, I want to read. Whatever you have to say, I want to listen. So get a shuffle on, there's a laddie!!

MrsSpooky
04-11-2007, 02:14 AM
[quote="Verity"]Dirk himself mentioned that he was writing a third book; "Montana Memoir - Notes from a Dangerous Wordsmith", I believe is the title. I read confirmation of this as far back as 2002 so, like the Falklands War Task Force, it's mighty slow in getting there!

Hurry up, Dirk! Whatever you write, I want to read. Whatever you have to say, I want to listen. So get a shuffle on, there's a laddie!![/quote

Whatever Dirk writes, there is a huge audience! "And Then We Went Fishing" is fetching more than $200 (US) so if he were to write short storeis or ANYTHING AT ALL, we would be there to snap it up.

I just hope he doesn't wait too long. :) I totally love this guy and want to hear wha he has to say about anything.

Verity
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm delighted to note that his books still have a richly deserved market in the US. This book was listed on Amazon.UK at the equivalent of $710.00. There are now a few more appearing as American sellers have realised that there is a real depth of affection for Dirk in Europe. At present there are six copies listed - a tatty but affordable one and one listed at 181.64, ($358.15), with a few marginally cheaper. I suspect this is still too rich for most people's blood, so I'm delighted that the book is to be rereleased, even though I have read it. (And thoroughly enjoyed it.)

I'm trying very hard to be objective, (whilst freely admitting that I've always adored him), but English was my subject and I consider him to be a wonderful writer. Passionate and surprisingly profound, very funny and with plenty to say that needs to be heard. It takes him forever but I suspect that if he were to tackle something far less personal and difficult, such as fiction, he could churn out some very credible work - and one or two stonking best sellers to boot. If only he would! This may have been posted before - but check this out for an opening line, straight off the top of his head at a moment's notice:-

"Jack Tweed entered the room. The room blinked! The room blinked first! Jack Tweed! The British Clint Eastwood."

Not bad at all, given that he didn't even think about it.

Arciris
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Wow! I'ts interesant a Dirk's third book with short stories!
I will have in two days his first book that my sister bought to me.
I sure that in his calm house in Montana, he's writing the third.
:D

Genny
04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Dirk certainly is, a gifted writer. I'd think so, even if he wasn't Dirk. His writing style is impressive. It can be passionate, or lyrical, or sensitive - but it is never ruled, by emotion. His intellect, shines from every page. It's powerful stuff. When reading ' Confessions', I was reminded of several, writers eg Thoreau..but Dirk's style is overwhelmingly, his own. I wish that if he doesn't have time to write, that he would use a dictaphone and just talk, into it...instead of typing, first. Actually..I obviously have no idea, what process he uses, when he writes. Would be interested to know ! 8) :D

Sharma
04-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Actually..I obviously have no idea, what process he uses, when he writes. Would be interested to know ! 8) :D

I heard him say once that he doesn't use much I.T. stuff - internet/windows etc...only a word processor. I don't think he's too enamoured wth Bill Gates' empire.

Genny
04-28-2007, 07:01 PM
It's interesting, because on CBB, he said he'd bought something from Amazon..and on the site DBAnonymous, he sent them a letter, saying that the site, loked nice. So he must have used the internet..somewhere else, I suppose ! :D

Sharma
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
It's interesting, because on CBB, he said he'd bought something from Amazon..and on the site DBAnonymous, he sent them a letter, saying that the site, loked nice. So he must have used the internet..somewhere else, I suppose ! :D

He did say that about 5 or 6 years ago, so maybe he's mellowed to microsoft since then.

dbukfan
04-30-2007, 04:40 AM

He did say that about 5 or 6 years ago, so maybe he's mellowed to microsoft since then.

Hi There

I think Dirk's a v v Deep Thinker indeed......espec. in wordings....amazingly how much meaning he wrote in only short sentences....he's def. a v v talented writer....I'm so so astounding of how highly intellectual he is, just fr reading his reply :wink: ...like he said that few producers did giving a shallow and shallower role to him...but I don't mind it al all....I much prefer him in more witty characters to serious roles.....suits his cheeky personality :lol: :lol:

Genny
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Much as I love The A Team, I wish that Dirk could have had a bit of input about his character because I think he'd have come up with some great, things. I wonder who wrote, " That's not a smile..It's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind", because it seems like something Dirk would have come up with ! :D

dbukfan
05-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Much as I love The A Team, I wish that Dirk could have had a bit of input about his character because I think he'd have come up with some great, things. I wonder who wrote, " That's not a smile..It's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind", because it seems like something Dirk would have come up with ! :D

Hi Genny

Love yr liner above..didn't know U're Poet Master of Wales :wink: :wink:

Only 3 W's that I've learnt of Dirk since Jan'07 so far is,
'Well being/Happy within... Witty.... and..... Wisdom........and I think I never look back..just forward following this path with :wink: :wink: :wink:'

He's just being truly HONEST for his own good sometimes...But I admire and respect that and hope U too.

Have a nice day.

dbukfan...x

bibbi
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone! :D
I think it would be great if Dirk published a book with short stories.
He is an excellent writer. I am reading Confessions for the third time now! :D
I can't wait for the re-release of ATWWF and am very interested in seeing what will be in his next book.

Take care,
Anne :)

Lily
05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I would love to read any thing that hes writing.. hes made me think I admit.
I'd like to see another volume of sorts just to balance out my TP's collection of nearly thirty!
Bless x

bibbi
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone! :D
it would be great if Dirk wrote a book about short stories.
Dirk is a fantastic author.
I have read Confessions for the fourth time. :D
Will be doing the same with ATWWF too! :D
And also, any other book that Dirk will be writing.

Take care,

Genny
05-14-2007, 05:23 PM
My favourite short story writer is Ray Bradbury... Well..one of them anyway. I think that Dirk could write some terrific, short stories. He probably has so much to do though and no doubt enjoys sharing time with his sons, and that's a wonderful thing to do. he said in the interview in Holland that he might start on a book next year. Hope so !

bibbi
05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I think a great short story book by Dirk, would be about some experiences in his real life, perhaps some hilarious true life stories. I think that would be a great book. :D

Take care,

Zilfstar
08-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Yes, yes yes! bring those stories here. I'll read, them, consume them, be inspired by them. Although I am not a native English (I am Dutch as some might know) English is my "second" language. And I love Dirks writings.

I have read some posts about Dick not owning a computer or such. Well a few years ago I sent him a letter and asked if he were to answer me (If I had that honour of him to reserve one minute of his time to answer me, I might say) he would do so by email. It is faster and easier. I even promissed him I would never (!) use his email adress for fun, stupidity or anything else. And what do you know: I got an email back! So I guess he has something! Maybe he does not use it for his writings. More writers like to use the old ways like pen and paper or a typewriter. But for his daily use, correspondence, the boys homework (?) he might have a PC at hand.

Bye!

bibbi
08-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I think maybe Dirk might include short stories in his next book. Not sure. I hope he does. That would be AWESOME! :D
I'm pretty sure he has a computer. Whether or not he goes on it a lot, that's a different story.

UKJules
08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Please, please, please, Dirk.........we would love to read your short stories :wink:

Waiting in anticipation........ :wink:

Jules x

bibbi
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I 100% agree!
Dirk we want to see your short stories! PLEASE write a book about them and soon!. :)