PDA

View Full Version : TV Series Reboot News

Flygirl
05-21-2017, 12:56 AM
Just saw this posted on Facebook:

http://thegeeknerdom.com/a-team-tv-series-reboot/

I don't like this article at all. For one thing it suggests that the BSG reboot was widely considered better than the original. REALLY?!?

They are turning one of the original team members into a female role. You don't think it will be Face, do you?

Facewoman.

This makes me angry. I'm gonna lose sleep over this. :mad:

Flygirl
05-21-2017, 01:07 AM
Okay since I posted this five minutes ago, I was able to see the rest of the actors being considered. That guy they're looking at for Face ... sorry to be shallow but Face is supposed to be REALLY attractive and charming, and that guy... well, he's no Dirk Benedict.

Anyway, it looks like it's Murdock who is losing his manhood. Wonder what Dwight will think of this. Oddly, I was a huge fan of Person of Interest, and that actress who played "Root" was by far my LEAST favorite cast member. And they are talking about casting her as MURDOCK? Oh God... shoot me.

Flygirl
05-21-2017, 01:19 AM
So I'm researching. The guy they are considering for the Face role actually has the same birthday as Dirk. March 1st. Huh.

I can't stress this enough... He's not nearly as handsome as Dirk. Not even a little bit... Sorry buddy. Thanks for playing.

Okay, I'm going to go to bed now.

Michele Ann
05-21-2017, 03:58 AM
I really wish that they would just leave the A-team alone. A remake will never be as good as the original just like BSG ("reimagined") wasn't as good as original (Nothing against Richard Hatch. Love that man.).

The new A- team, I predict, would fail and be canceled.

LittleMonkeyDog
05-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Just saw this posted on Facebook:

http://thegeeknerdom.com/a-team-tv-series-reboot/

I don't like this article at all. For one thing it suggests that the BSG reboot was widely considered better than the original. REALLY?!?

They are turning one of the original team members into a female role. You don't think it will be Face, do you?

Facewoman.

This makes me angry. I'm gonna lose sleep over this. :mad:

That makes two (probably a lot more) of us !!! I don't like reboots at all. I especially hate the BSG reboot, because it was nothing like the Original BSG (besides the fact that it had no Dirk as Starbuck). I have yet to meet someone who was a fan of the original that actually liked the rebooted version ... I gave up in the middle of the first episode and still wonder how on Earth I managed to keep watching it that long ...

Oh no no no. The A-team members are and will always be 4 GUYS and I mean real GUYS. Makes me mad too :mad:

LittleMonkeyDog
05-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Okay since I posted this five minutes ago, I was able to see the rest of the actors being considered. That guy they're looking at for Face ... sorry to be shallow but Face is supposed to be REALLY attractive and charming, and that guy... well, he's no Dirk Benedict.

Anyway, it looks like it's Murdock who is losing his manhood. Wonder what Dwight will think of this. Oddly, I was a huge fan of Person of Interest, and that actress who played "Root" was by far my LEAST favorite cast member. And they are talking about casting her as MURDOCK? Oh God... shoot me.

Agreed and well said :cool: To me Dirk will always be the one and only Face (as well as the one and only Starbuck).

Oh please ... How can they even consider turning ANY of the guys for that matter into a female character. Why?

LittleMonkeyDog
05-21-2017, 01:55 PM
I can't stress this enough... He's not nearly as handsome as Dirk. Not even a little bit... Sorry buddy. Thanks for playing.

I so agree. Not by far !!!! I surely wouldn't put up a poster of him on my bedroom wall :p

LittleMonkeyDog
05-21-2017, 01:56 PM
I really wish that they would just leave the A-team alone. A remake will never be as good as the original just like BSG ("reimagined") wasn't as good as original (Nothing against Richard Hatch. Love that man.).

The new A- team, I predict, would fail and be canceled.

Well said Michele :)

Vballspieler
05-21-2017, 03:04 PM
We discussed this in the Dirkette chat room. No, i don't think this is a good idea. The networks are trying to recreate something from the past by "reimagining" it. All they are doing is messing with something that worked. Had BSG been better-planned, it wouldn't have cost so much to make. Had the A-team been treated better, they would have been happier. The fans love both series so much, that you can't change it and still have the same fan base. It worked for a reason. The fans remain loyal for a reason. You want to build on that. Look at why the fans are so loyal. Have the next chapter in their lives instead of trying to redo their lives. Face, Murdock, and BA can be the consultants and mentors. I think Dirk, Dwight, and Mr. T have an idea of why the show worked. If Hollywood valued them, they would be real-life consultants instead of just brushed aside. (and don't say it, because i already know how valued they are to Hollywood.)

Sorry about the rant. My turn, i guess.

Flygirl
05-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Realizing this is a small sample size (with multiple confounding variables)... I would venture to say that our reactions will be echoed by the majority of fans of the original series. I think Michele's right. This show is not going to be successful. And I absolutely agree with VBS; it would have been much smarter to hire the cast as consultants. Although it didn't work with Richard Hatch for BSG, if you're going to create a "reboot" of a very popular classic series, doesn't it make sense to take advice from the people who made it popular? Fans LOVED the original cast. 90% of the reason the show worked so well was the chemistry between the four guys. The other 10% was the writing and uniqueness of the paradigm for an hour-long action series... it was lighthearted and fun to watch for all ages. And the good guys always won! You can't watch it without smiling. That's why it was so loved, in spite of the complete lack of support from the studio or the network. That's my take on it, anyway. They're just going to aggravate the fans with this "reimagined" version.

On another note, has anyone seen another recent news article on the topic? I'm a bit skeptical of any story that declares the movie "performed quite good" in its opening paragraph... It's not written quite good. :p

Ludlum'sDaughter14
05-21-2017, 09:03 PM
I agree with all of you, except that I'm not able to feel strongly about it yet. Maybe I will once it comes out. I can understand the casting of Jensen Ackles in light of the fact that he stars in the hugely popular, long-running show Supernatural, and he's considered very attractive by most fans of that show, especially teenage girls, some women, and Tumblr users (I, for the record, do not watch Supernatural, but picked up on this from the Internet).

The BSG reboot definitely appealed to a different demographic than the original show. I agree that changing Murdock to a woman is disappointing. However, I am also optimistic that the show could somehow be an unexpected success. Of course it won't ever be the same, but when it comes out, I might watch it just to see if it could be enjoyable in its own right. Sometimes you can enjoy a good story that doesn't fit its "packaging" because it's still a good story. The movie Bourne: Legacy was almost completely different from the three original Bourne movies, besides not having Matt Damon/Jason Bourne in it at all, but I was able to enjoy that movie when I stopped thinking of it as a "Bourne movie" and appreciated the characters and the plot on their own.

I understand that the new series won't be able to live up to the old one, and no one will ever be able to replace the original cast, but that's just the problem - no matter what anyone tries to do, the series and the cast will never be like the original. But networks gonna do what networks gonna do.

Besides, it's not definite that they *won't* consult or involve the original cast at some point. An episode where Dirk, Dwight, and/or Mr. T make an appearance? Totally possible, because that would be a huge PR win. They could even be slated to show up in the pilot, and we would have no idea because that kind of stuff is kept under wraps until the "best" time to reveal it.

Anyway, I can't help feeling like all is not lost. There could be positives in the end. And they may start putting more A-Team merchandise back on the market. ;)

elainesteel
05-22-2017, 01:35 AM
I hate reboots. I hate the idea of Murdock being a woman. I didn't like the film remake. But, I love Supernatural and Jensen Ackles, I actually think he could do quite well as Face, much better than Bradley Cooper. Could be interesting if it happens.

InACupFool
05-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Can I throw my two cents in here? This re-boot idea first surfaced in Sept of 2015 and the show was supposed to premiere in 2017. Stephen J. Cannell's daughter, Tawnia is one of the producers and the show was/is supposed to keep the spirit of the original series, except with women. If that isn't an oxymoron...anyway, the original series was so successful and has had such longevity largely in part because the show was about four GUYS, being guys. Dirk Benedict has done several interviews about "Stardoe" and been lambasted every single time, even though he is 100% correct. The feminization of Hollywood has been decades in the making and the result is a bunch of male wusses.

But I digress. Mostly because I could rant for hours on this topic.

My personal opinion, turning Murdock, BA, Hannibal or Face into a woman will be a HUGE mistake for all of us original fans, but if the show is done well and gels, so to speak, there is a whole new generation or two of fans to be had.

Take the 2010 A-Team movie. I saw it and didn't like it at all but then I bought the extended version (hey, it was A-Team related afterall) and now I really enjoy it. They cut so many of the funny scenes with actual dialogue and character interaction from the theatrical release that if you saw it in the theater, it was just one explosion after another. The extended release has Dirk and Dwight's cameos in the appropriate places (NOT after the credits) and also some easter eggs (watch who stars in the movie that Murdock shows at the VA before they break him out). Cannell did have a hand in it before he died so if you squint and don't compare too much, there is some A-Team spirit in there. I do think Cooper was a mistake (and don't get me started on his star-power changing the team dynamic) but Sharlto Copley is simply brilliant as Murdock and the movie did revive The A-Team a little and bring it back into the spotlight.

So now that you all know I spend way too much time pondering on such things, I'll give the new show a chance, but not as my beloved A-Team, just as a show based loosely on it. Unless they come to their senses and don't turn one of the guys into a woman but I look at it this way: any publicity that keeps my favorite show in the news can't be all bad, can it?

Sorry, that was actually like 58 cents...

Flygirl
05-24-2017, 08:23 PM
OK, you all are making good points. So, I'm thinking, maybe it can go one of three ways:

They try to make it "just like the original". Except they are going to be all PC and stupid about it, and they try to create some sexual tension with the female "Murdock", and the majority of fans of the original series hate it, but maybe some others will like it because it is vaguely reminiscent of the show. And who knows how it will go over with the millennial crowd. It depends on how in tune the creators are with what is considered offensive on any given airing date.

They try to "re-imagine" it as a modern action-drama. Real situations, snarky humor, thinly-veiled political overtones. Everybody who cares hates it, and most other people are watching the dozens of other shows just like it on the other networks, Showtime, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

They do something completely different - create new, interesting characters and shock the hell out of me by becoming a very successful show. And if this happens I will eat crow right here on this thread. But I still won't like it because they shouldn't be calling it "The A-Team". So there. :p

Vballspieler
05-24-2017, 09:06 PM
OK, you all are making good points. So, I'm thinking, maybe it can go one of three ways:

They try to make it "just like the original". Except they are going to be all PC and stupid about it, and they try to create some sexual tension with the female "Murdock", and the majority of fans of the original series hate it, but maybe some others will like it because it is vaguely reminiscent of the show. And who knows how it will go over with the millennial crowd. It depends on how in tune the creators are with what is considered offensive on any given airing date.

They try to "re-imagine" it as a modern action-drama. Real situations, snarky humor, thinly-veiled political overtones. Everybody who cares hates it, and most other people are watching the dozens of other shows just like it on the other networks, Showtime, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

They do something completely different - create new, interesting characters and shock the hell out of me by becoming a very successful show. And if this happens I will eat crow right here on this thread. But I still won't like it because they shouldn't be calling it "The A-Team". So there. :p

Just make sure it is MB crow. LOL