PDA

View Full Version : The famous trial

LittleMonkeyDog
04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
I have just been watching the episode about the court martial and couldn't help but notice something. Their lawyer tells them that they all need to take the stand and everyone does that except Face. Why didn't they let him testify? I wonder ... Any ideas?

Flygirl
04-05-2017, 05:00 PM
I have just been watching the episode about the court martial and couldn't help but notice something. Their lawyer tells them that they all need to take the stand and everyone does that except Face. Why didn't they let him testify? I wonder ... Any ideas?

Good question... In reality (boo), I'm guessing they either filmed Face's testimony and it hit the cutting room floor, or they simply realized having them all testify would take too much time out of the episode. And Murdock's testimony was really the only one critical to the story.

In my imagination (much more fun!) I have several theories:

1. The prosecutor didn't trust Face to tell the truth, based on his reputation, and thought his answers would put the case at risk.

2. Face has a religious upbringing so I don't believe he would lie under oath. He might have refused to testify (pled the 5th). Civilians can refuse to testify in a criminal case (but I don't know if this is true for a military court martial...) This could have been an interesting plot twist.

What if Face had information about Morrison's murder that he couldn't divulge? What if he knew Murdock was the killer?? Face and Murdock have a close relationship, so Murdock could have told him what happened. Or, because Face is always at the VA - and is naturally the curious type (and the larcenous type) - he might've broken in to Murdock's confidential patient file.

Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Vballspieler
04-05-2017, 05:08 PM
I think it was taped and cut out of the episode. I think the jag lawyer would've have used being a con man against the group and that's why he didn't make the cut. Their defense lawyer couldn't risk it.
I know military personnel don't have the same rights as a civilian does at a civilian trial, but you would need to look at the uniform code of military justice to know exactly what rights military personnel actually do have.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
04-05-2017, 11:01 PM
First observation: they did a good enough job with the editing and storyline that some of us (me being one) never noticed this before.

Second, the realistic theory about editing makes sense, but I like the theoretical theories as explanations. I could see Face opting out of testifying because his illegal conning activities might come up, plus he would be very nervous (did you see his expression when they get the verdict?) and might be pushed to say something potentially incriminating on accident.

LittleMonkeyDog
04-06-2017, 04:26 AM
You guys are the best !!! I so like these answers :D

I'm guessing they either filmed Face's testimony and it hit the cutting room floor -> I also think that happened (boo indeed).

And I like the different theories. It might not have been a good idea to put a con man on the stand ... And yes LD. I did notice how nervous he was when they got their verdict.