PDA

View Full Version : Food substitutions for newbies

Flygirl
01-17-2017, 10:19 PM
As I'm transitioning to MB, I'm trying to replace my favorite not-so-natural foods with equally delicious ones. I'm having some successes and failures I thought I'd share here... I have a lot more I haven't tried yet so I'll update as I go along. Tomorrow I'm making organic wheat English muffins with a non-dairy butter spread for breakfast, and black bean burgers with sprouts for lunch. For dinner I'm trying a veggie stir-fry with brown rice and tamari.

Failure - Oat crackers in lieu of cracker crackers. The oat crackers aren't too bad in terms of flavor (I like oats), but lack the consistency I want in a cracker. I'm sticking to my triscuits and plain roasted almonds for crunchy snacks. Will try some of Ojai's suggestions next.

Success - Almond milk for moo cow milk. I was surprised to find that organic almond milk is really good in cereal! I suspect it will also make a nice replacement for creamer in my coffee.

Success - One of my staple breakfasts is honey bunches of oats with almonds with 2% milk. Today I substituted organic crunchy bran cereal with almond milk and some sliced almonds on top, and it was just as good if not better...

LittleMonkeyDog
01-18-2017, 04:45 AM
I've become a huge fan of almond milk myself instead of moo cow milk :)

Flygirl
01-18-2017, 06:04 PM
I've become a huge fan of almond milk myself instead of moo cow milk :)

I really like it! Didn't think I would.

There's a millet & brown rice ramen noodle that is quite good (and not too salty - most ramen is too salty for me). Lotus Foods. http://www.lotusfoods.com/

Have you tried this? My highest priorities for lunch food are fast and easy, and this meets both criteria. 4 minutes total cook time.

Flygirl
01-21-2017, 12:34 PM
I got some dandelion root tea and I really like it! It has a great, natural flavor. :)

ojai22
01-21-2017, 12:44 PM
I got some dandelion root tea and I really like it! It has a great, natural flavor. :)

The first time I drank it I couldn't believe how good it was. Because it has no caffeine I can drink it in the early evening without staying awake all night. :)

ojai22
01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
I make my own almond milk in a Vitamix. Awhile back 29 people got sick on some almond milk from CostCo. Instead of looking for the culprit and going after them, a law was passed that all almonds in the US had to be pasteurized. Using either a gas or water. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Markets say they use water as gas will leave a residue.

Now, the strange thing is the almond growers tried to stretch the law to include all almonds that are imported, but it didn't work. So of course many folks now buy only imported almonds from other countries. I saw 2 lbs on sale at amazon for $28. Not only were people buying them but were glad to get them. I tried to post about a place I knew but they wouldn't accept it till I changed it, not mentioning Bremner Farms.

The law they passed is weird - if you grow almonds and sell directly to the public, you can sell 100 lbs. a day to any one person. Bremner Farms in California grow organic almonds and will sell directly to you. As the drought got worse their prices went up about $3 a lb but was still better than buying imported. Here's their website:

http://www.organicalmondsraw.com/

Makes terrific almond milk.

John Pickard
01-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Have you tried almond milk as a coffee creamer yet, fg?

If you haven't, I suggest you don't try it in a full cup of coffee... :eek:

You might like it, sure. But my Mrs. sure doesn't...

I don't, either, but I'm not all that crazy about the taste of coffee, either.

I love almond milk on my oatmeal, and on my granola (we don't buy commercially-produced cereals - I think I've mentioned that), and we've found it's an excellent substitute for dairy in a white sauce, too (which is the base for a lot of different things, including her home-made cream of mushroom soup). It doesn't taste exactly like a "milk sauce," but then we use whole wheat flower when we make the roux, so the almond milk just continues the slightly nuttier flavor of the sauce...

We buy Califia brand unsweetened. There was some controversy with it because they used carrageenan (a known inflammatory) as a thickening agent, but they stopped using it some time ago.

Flygirl
01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Have you tried almond milk as a coffee creamer yet, fg?

If you haven't, I suggest you don't try it in a full cup of coffee... :eek:

You might like it, sure. But my Mrs. sure doesn't...

Oh, John, your timing! LOL... Tell your wife I'm with her. I put some of it in my coffee and it really wasn't a good idea. In addition to the strange aftertaste, it sort of congealed into little flakes. It does not have the same physical properties as half & half. I do like it in my cereal though. I'll look for the Califia brand...

My husband made gumbo yesterday and he convinced me to let him leave in the chicken (it contains chicken broth anyway), and I convinced him to use brown rice instead of white. So a little bit of compromise. I didn't eat a lot of the chicken, mostly shrimp. So it wasn't *that* bad. I have to pacify myself with something now that I can't eat red meat anymore. I'm dreaming about ribeye steaks at night. It's possible I'm out hunting coyotes in my sleep. (Ever see the movie "Madagascar"? Alex the lion in the wild, when he starts hallucinating... That's me right now.)

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000440497878/1588e70b3c32d111c28d384c07556312.png

Flygirl
01-22-2017, 01:57 PM
The first time I drank it I couldn't believe how good it was. Because it has no caffeine I can drink it in the early evening without staying awake all night. :)

Ojai, I actually think this is my new favorite. It still has that nice, natural flavor of a root tea but it's stronger than the others and I like the aftertaste. I wonder though about the warnings on the box. My tea is "organic roasted dandelion root". The warning says not to drink it while pregnant and to consult a doctor if you have gallbladder problems, etc. I don't have any of these things but it's disconcerting. It also says "up to 3 cups daily". Are all these markings necessary because some people use it for medicinal purposes, or is there something more sinister about dandelions? :o

P.S. I love your new title. "Den Mother". Very true!
Head Nurse - Psychiatry Ward could have been appropriate too. ;)

LittleMonkeyDog
01-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Oh, John, your timing! LOL... Tell your wife I'm with her. I put some of it in my coffee and it really wasn't a good idea. In addition to the strange aftertaste, it sort of congealed into little flakes. It does not have the same physical properties as half & half. I do like it in my cereal though. I'll look for the Califia brand...

My husband made gumbo yesterday and he convinced me to let him leave in the chicken (it contains chicken broth anyway), and I convinced him to use brown rice instead of white. So a little bit of compromise. I didn't eat a lot of the chicken, mostly shrimp. So it wasn't *that* bad. I have to pacify myself with something now that I can't eat red meat anymore. I'm dreaming about ribeye steaks at night. It's possible I'm out hunting coyotes in my sleep. (Ever see the movie "Madagascar"? Alex the lion in the wild, when he starts hallucinating... That's me right now.)

I don't like 'milk' in my coffee anyway.

OMG. LOL Alex and his hallucination. I loved that. :))

LittleMonkeyDog
01-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Ojai, I actually think this is my new favorite. It still has that nice, natural flavor of a root tea but it's stronger than the others and I like the aftertaste. I wonder though about the warnings on the box. My tea is "organic roasted dandelion root". The warning says not to drink it while pregnant and to consult a doctor if you have gallbladder problems, etc. I don't have any of these things but it's disconcerting. It also says "up to 3 cups daily". Are all these markings necessary because some people use it for medicinal purposes, or is there something more sinister about dandelions? :o

Okay, now you have me worried too.
I wonder what could have made us insane ... a hopeless addiction to a certain someone maybe :p

ojai22
01-22-2017, 06:28 PM
I think in part the warning is about being allergic to dandelion. Also, there's a more serious side - if you are taking a blood-thinner, or lithium for a bipolar problem you need to talk with your doctor.

Here are two links that give some info:

Dandelion tea

http://www.livestrong.com/article/210093-dangers-of-dandelion-tea/

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-706-dandelion.aspx?activeingredientid=706&

I don't drink dandelion tea everyday and when I do I seldom have more than one cup. I use it as a treat. My main tea is from Jason Winters. It has been proven to purify the blood, but I drank it before I knew much of what it does. Good stuff.

John Pickard
01-22-2017, 06:57 PM

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000440497878/1588e70b3c32d111c28d384c07556312.png

Califia isn't homemade - they also have a range of other products, like cold-brewed coffees - so watch which bottle you grab. It's available at several of our local stores, so Whole Foods and if you've got a Kroger-owned store you might find it there.

Go Steelers...

:eek:

John Pickard
01-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Califia isn't homemade - they also have a range of other products, like cold-brewed coffees - so watch which bottle you grab. It's available at several of our local stores, so Whole Foods and if you've got a Kroger-owned store you might find it there.

Go Steelers...

I should not have rooted for anybody today. Neither of the teams I was pulling for stood a snowball's chance today.

Go Falcons!

:rolleyes:

ojai22
01-22-2017, 09:36 PM

When I left here years ago it read Senior Member. When I returned and was able to login it read Dear Friend. i assumed John did it because I surely didn't. I couldn't find the place to change it so it stayed there for a few years. Then in a recent post I said I'm not a Dirkette, more like a Den Mother. Then the DM thing appeared to keep Dear Friend company. There are gremlins in attendance here.

Well, a friend told me where to look to change it, and I had looked but now looked closer. And there it was, the faintest yellow writing which I copy/pasted onto TextEdit and there they were, hiding behind yellow print on my very weak computer.

So, I finally was able to remove Dear Friend but decided to leave the Den Mother thing for the time being.

I was supposed to go get my new computer today. I've spent some time on the phone with Apple deciding exactly what I wanted. But, after a ten year man-made drought, the heavens have opened and we are being flooded. Rained this entire blessed day. Mostly hard. Water is flowing over pools, streets are covered with water and so are people's lawns. Accidents are many. It's a day to stay home, sitting in from of the fire in a comfy rocking chair, with a good book and a cup of tea.

Happy Sunday to all…..

:)

Flygirl
01-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I should not have rooted for anybody today. Neither of the teams I was pulling for stood a snowball's chance today.

Go Falcons!

Haha! Come on, you don't care about either team, so be a sport and root for the Pats. You know, just to see the look on Roger Goodell's face?

For me??! ❤️

The Dirkettes are backing the winning team. Just sayin.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExtgRHGR1yxNDTa/200w.gif

Flygirl
01-22-2017, 10:40 PM

Go Steelers...

We have a Fry's here - that's Kroger owned. They just opened a huge new one in my neighborhood. Been building it for months. It's got the gas station, covered parking (with over 2700 solar panels!)... it's got a full craft beer/growler bar, a mini cooking school, sushi bar and deli, even clothing and electronics... we were SO excited just to go in and look around. You know you're not a kid anymore when the highlight of your month is a supermarket opening... :oops:

Vballspieler
01-22-2017, 10:54 PM
We have a Fry's here - that's Kroger owned. They just opened a huge new one in my neighborhood. Been building it for months. It's got the gas station, covered parking (with over 2700 solar panels!)... it's got a full craft beer/growler bar, a mini cooking school, sushi bar and deli, even clothing and electronics... we were SO excited just to go in and look around. You know you're not a kid anymore when the highlight of your month is a supermarket opening... :oops:

So much excitement. Are you sure you can handle it?

Wonder what the mood will be like for my after-Christmas party at Lambeau Field. I'm assuming we no longer need recon done and I can just be myself?

John Pickard
01-22-2017, 10:56 PM
When I left here years ago it read Senior Member. When I returned and was able to login it read Dear Friend. i assumed John did it because I surely didn't. I couldn't find the place to change it so it stayed there for a few years. Then in a recent post I said I'm not a Dirkette, more like a Den Mother. Then the DM thing appeared to keep Dear Friend company. There are gremlins in attendance here.

Well, a friend told me where to look to change it, and I had looked but now looked closer. And there it was, the faintest yellow writing which I copy/pasted onto TextEdit and there they were, hiding behind yellow print on my very weak computer.

So, I finally was able to remove Dear Friend but decided to leave the Den Mother thing for the time being.

I was supposed to go get my new computer today. I've spent some time on the phone with Apple deciding exactly what I wanted. But, after a ten year man-made drought, the heavens have opened and we are being flooded. Rained this entire blessed day. Mostly hard. Water is flowing over pools, streets are covered with water and so are people's lawns. Accidents are many. It's a day to stay home, sitting in from of the fire in a comfy rocking chair, with a good book and a cup of tea.

Happy Sunday to all…..

:)

:D

Flygirl
01-22-2017, 10:59 PM
So much excitement. Are you sure you can handle it?

Wonder what the mood will be like for my after-Christmas party at Lambeau Field. I'm assuming we no longer need recon done and I can just be myself?

Lol... that's right! - you're off the hook. Unless you want to take your spy camera down to Atlanta. ;)

Vballspieler
01-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Lol... that's right! - you're off the hook. Unless you want to take your spy camera down to Atlanta. ;)

Sorry. That might be too hard to explain at work.....unless I can tell them I'm checking out our Atlanta plant. Hmm....

Besides, now I have snow to deal with again. Sigh. Never ending.

Flygirl
01-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Folks, what's the deal with whole grain breads/muffins/pastas etc.? I know grains have to be processed to some extent to wind up as a supermarket product. How is it that a lot of breads and pastas on the supermarket shelves are labeled "whole grain" - which, by definition, means NOT - even partially - processed?

:confused:

To get down to specifics... does my organic, "whole grain" English muffin count toward the 30-40% whole grain allocation, or just the 5% allotted to breads and pastas?

ojai22
01-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Folks, what's the deal with whole grain breads/muffins/pastas etc.? I know grains have to be processed to some extent to wind up as a supermarket product. How is it that a lot of breads and pastas on the supermarket shelves are labeled "whole grain" - which, by definition, means NOT - even partially - processed?

:confused:

To get down to specifics... does my organic, "whole grain" English muffin count toward the 30-40% whole grain allocation, or just the 5% allotted to breads and pastas?

Flyngirl, when it says "whole grain" that doesn't mean they haven't processed everything good out of it. If it's processed, then it's full of chemicals, unless you look for an artisan bread or perhaps one of the small loaves in the refrigerated section.

I sometimes buy bread from the Grindstone Bakery near San Francisco. I get gluten-free but they have the other kind, too. They grind the flour on the premises using the stone ground method and bake it right away. That's the problem with bread. Once grain is ground it starts to lose the good stuff immediately. And the grinders the regular breadmakers use attains high heat as the flour is being ground. That destroys all the good stuff immediately. Before it even gets to be bread. Then they shoot in some chemicals and say it's "whole grain and healthy."

Grindstone Bakery uses slow grinding, bakes the bread and sends it out on 2 day delivery. You have to buy 4 loaves at a time, but they can be sliced and frozen. Their website is grindstonebakery.com.

You might look into the artisan breads baked locally.

ojai22
01-26-2017, 12:12 AM
I forgot to say all of the bread that has been processed to death also contains a lot of sugar. Sometimes in different forms so you're getting more sugar than you realize. Bread that rises without added yeast is the best kind. You don't need any sugar to feed the yeast when it rises naturally.

Check out the Grindstone Bakery. Read their ingredients.

ojai22
01-26-2017, 12:23 AM
I forgot to say all of the bread that has been processed to death also contains a lot of sugar. Sometimes in different forms so you're getting more sugar than you realize. Bread that rises without added yeast is the best kind. You don't need any sugar to feed the yeast when it rises naturally.

Check out the Grindstone Bakery. Read their ingredients.

EDIT: Try this post:

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19992&postcount=50

Flygirl
01-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Flyngirl, when it says "whole grain" that doesn't mean they haven't processed everything good out of it. If it's processed, then it's full of chemicals, unless you look for an artisan bread or perhaps one of the small loaves in the refrigerated section.

I sometimes buy bread from the Grindstone Bakery near San Francisco. I get gluten-free but they have the other kind, too. They grind the flour on the premises using the stone ground method and bake it right away. That's the problem with bread. Once grain is ground it starts to lose the good stuff immediately. And the grinders the regular breadmakers use attains high heat as the flour is being ground. That destroys all the good stuff immediately. Before it even gets to be bread. Then they shoot in some chemicals and say it's "whole grain and healthy."

Grindstone Bakery uses slow grinding, bakes the bread and sends it out on 2 day delivery. You have to buy 4 loaves at a time, but they can be sliced and frozen. Their website is grindstonebakery.com.

You might look into the artisan breads baked locally.

I'm going to check this out. We have a lot of farmer's markets in my area and I've yet to go to a good one. Some are better than others. Many of the smaller ones are just a few carts with handmade soaps, honey, bbq sauces, etc. But there's apparently a very large one in Phoenix that's popular... I could get my veggies there too. :)

Flygirl
01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
One of my major vices is crackers and cheese. I got some brown rice crackers to satisfy the crunch cravings... but I needed a topper. Thankfully I had a jar of tahini handy (thanks to a buddy!). In one of my MB/vegan diet books from the library, I found a good recipe for roasted red pepper hummus. It's an effective and tasty alternative to cheese. I've altered it just a little for texture (if you want to use it as a salad dressing, increase the amount of liquid from the chickpeas to 1/2 cup):

1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve liquid)
1/3 cup liquid from chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Combine tahini and lemon juice in food processor and process 45 seconds. Scrape bowl and process another 45 seconds.

Add remaining ingredients and process 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and pulse another 30 seconds.

Put into a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Vballspieler
01-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Go Falcons!

So, John, are you still rooting for the Falcons? Just need to know what pictures to share next week. Here's a couple to start with. (It's part of my recon for Flyngirl).>:)

Flygirl
01-30-2017, 04:53 PM
LOL... Nice, Vball!!! You will find just as many rings in Foxborough.

Sadly, there's only one in Seattle...

:(

Vballspieler
01-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Can we fix this one? I get teased about from all the cheeseheads in my family. Unfortunately, I don't have any from the Superbowls where the Pats one.

Vballspieler
01-30-2017, 09:33 PM
And a couple more from the recon mission. Enjoy! And now back to the thread.... what snacks should I have on hand when I try this 10 day rice & water diet?

ojai22
01-31-2017, 12:22 AM
I don't remember eating snacks, just ate rice till I was full each time I got hungry, but that was awhile back. If I think of something I will post it. But you probably have learned brown rice is very filling. I wonder if a handful of nuts would be okay?

Flyngirl, did you eat snacks?

Vballspieler
01-31-2017, 12:58 AM
I don't remember eating snacks, just ate rice till I was full each time I got hungry, but that was awhile back. If I think of something I will post it. But you probably have learned brown rice is very filling. I wonder if a handful of nuts would be okay?

Flyngirl, did you eat snacks?

Here's my fear. I was only eating one cup of rice per day +4 bottles of water. My insane hours ranged from 13 to 17 hours per day for 3 days during the week and 8-10 hours the other 4 days. You add an 1 1/2 hour workout three times a week and I just don't think that's enough calories... but I have reading material now, so that should give me some ideas.

Thanks😆

Flygirl
01-31-2017, 09:26 AM
Here's my fear. I was only eating one cup of rice per day +4 bottles of water. My insane hours ranged from 13 to 17 hours per day for 3 days during the week and 8-10 hours the other 4 days. You add an 1 1/2 hour workout three times a week and I just don't think that's enough calories... but I have reading material now, so that should give me some ideas.

Thanks��

For the first 3-4 days, I ate only plain, Lundberg Basmati long grain brown rice. After day 3 or 4, not sure which, I allowed myself a brown rice cake as a special snack - less than daily - maybe every other day - in the evening. I get my worst cravings at that time. It was a good reward because I really like the rice cakes (Lundberg, organic, salt free - got my first bag online but then I found them at Fry's). I drank water all day, but also one cup of Bancha tea in the morning and Kukicha at night.

I did mix it up a little bit and added a few MB-friendly flavors for variety. As a snack, I just ate the rice plain and dry. In the morning, I'd just add a little water to the rice to make it more like a cereal. At lunch I'd add some salt and a pat of vegetable spread. At dinner I ate rice made with a bit of kombu seaweed in the water. I also mixed it up by soaking the rice overnight, which changes the texture a bit versus direct steaming. Also sometimes at dinner I added a little tamari soy sauce. I think that's it.

Flygirl
01-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Also if you're in the office all day, cook your rice for the next day when you get home at night, and pack up enough for snacks during the day. Remember to bring it with you in the morning!! I know that sounds like a no-brainer but if you're not used to carrying lunch to work, you can forget.

I forgot my rice one day and went 9 hours without eating anything. That's hard to do on this diet.

Flygirl
01-31-2017, 06:48 PM
MARY'S GONE CRACKERS. Seriously, check this stuff out. Super crunchy and delish. And it's all natural, organic stuff. Pretzels contain: Organic whole grain brown rice, organic whole grain quinoa, organic whole grain millet, organic whole grain amaranth, organic whole grain brown flax seeds, organic brown sesame seeds, filtered water, organic poppy seeds, organic minced garlic, organic minced onion, organic chia seeds, sea salt and organic herbs.

Instead of saying "organic" 50 million times, you'd think they could just list the stuff and add a footnote... but anyway, yeah, good stuff.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/431/32258473200_db40ceb7ef_n.jpg

Flygirl
01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Oh, and I am now officially addicted to the roasted dandelion root tea!!! I usually have Bancha in the morning but I have a cup of dandelion tea midday (if I'm working at home) and a cup before bed...

I had coffee for the first time in a while today between meetings, child pick-ups and drop-offs. I haven't had that much caffeine in a while, since I completely cut out soda and started drinking low-caff tea.

I am literally shaking right now - but getting a lot of work done, anyway. It's this time of the evening I have to make up for the 4-5 hours I took off work to tend to family matters. I can cover 4-5 hours in 2 hours, right?? Hopefully the caffeine crash holds off until then... :neutral:

ojai22
01-31-2017, 08:03 PM
Oh, and I am now officially addicted to the roasted dandelion root tea!!! I usually have Bancha in the morning but I have a cup of dandelion tea midday (if I'm working at home) and a cup before bed...

I had coffee for the first time in a while today between meetings, child pick-ups and drop-offs. I haven't had that much caffeine in a while, since I completely cut out soda and started drinking low-caff tea.

I am literally shaking right now - but getting a lot of work done, anyway. It's this time of the evening I have to make up for the 4-5 hours I took off work to tend to family matters. I can cover 4-5 hours in 2 hours, right?? Hopefully the caffeine crash holds off until then... :neutral:

We go along each day eating what we think is good for us, or at the worst, not doing us any harm. Then the 10 day brown rice thing happens and it becomes an eye-opener - we get to see just how all that 'good' stuff was affecting us all along. But we'll never see it till we get back to zero and start over. This time, not what was given us by others who thought they were doing us good, but what we ourselves choose. We get to be in charge this time around.

Do i sound like I'm preaching - to the choir? Sorry....:neutral:

Flygirl
02-05-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm out of all kinds of tea - I'm subsisting on hot green tea until my shipment of Bancha, Kukicha and Dandelion root (bulk dandelion root) arrives... This was not well planned. Happily, I'll now have enough to last me a couple of months.

The weather is getting beautiful out here in AZ, and all the neighbors are cooking steaks and burgers on the grill. I can smell it everywhere when I go out walking (it's been a month since I've eaten red meat)... so the other day I grilled a black bean burger, and it was really good, and completely satisfied my burger craving. A little fresh pico de gallo on top. Yummy! I'm making more roasted red pepper hummus today. I know the MB way is usually more simple foods, but I need a little spice in my diet, at least for now - it's just what I'm used to. As Dirk has mentioned before, when you eat like that, you lose your ability to taste the flavor in basic foods - so you need to eat meals with more complexity - and more of everything - just to feel satisfied. (Yes, Dirk was much more eloquent about it, but I think that's the gist). I'm just starting to simplify my eating rituals. I spend longer eating smaller portions. In just a few weeks, I've gotten past my addiction to creamer and sugar substitutes in my coffee/tea, and starting drinking the low/no caffeine options, and abandoned soda entirely. No red meat, very little poultry, a little more fish, LOTS more whole grains, and lots of veggies. Baby steps.

However, I will be having smoked chicken wings and beer while watching the Super Bowl this afternoon. Because, well... tradition. I don't want to jinx anything. I'll also be wearing my Patriots shirt and be sitting in the same lucky spot on my couch. Not that I'm superstitious or anything. ;)

Flygirl
02-12-2017, 03:04 PM
I just tried my Bob's Red Mill Millet today. I steamed it and then stir-fried with snap peas, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms. Sesame oil, tamari and a touch of sea salt. Delicious!!!

Almost makes up for all the beer I drank last night.... almost...

moonlustere
02-12-2017, 10:18 PM
I enjoy almond milk. It is easy to cook with as well.

Flygirl
02-13-2017, 07:56 AM
I enjoy almond milk. It is easy to cook with as well.

Me too! I haven't tried cooking with it yet - not much of a cook, so I'm taking it slow. I like the taste of almond milk in my cereal more than regular milk... What kind do you buy? My husband started drinking Silk (I'm slowly rubbing off on him :) ) but that seems to have a lot of additives. I have the Pacific organic one now.

John Pickard
02-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Once in a while, we'll make a "white sauce" (I forget what they call it), but use whole-wheat flour to make the roux, then almond milk (unsweetened and unflavored) rather than dairy. It's a little heavier than a traditional white sauce (and darker), and it doesn't taste like any white sauce you'll get in a restaurant (it tastes better).

If you cook mushrooms and onions in the fat before you add the flour, and boil the mushroom stems and add that liquid with the almond milk, you have a killer "cream of mushroom soup" to put in your tuna and noodles (or whatever). That way you don't have to use the "Cream of Salt Lick with Mushrooms" crap you get at the store.

Flygirl
02-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Once in a while, we'll make a "white sauce" (I forget what they call it), but use whole-wheat flour to make the roux, then almond milk (unsweetened and unflavored) rather than dairy. It's a little heavier than a traditional white sauce (and darker), and it doesn't taste like any white sauce you'll get in a restaurant (it tastes better).

If you cook mushrooms and onions in the fat before you add the flour, and boil the mushroom stems and add that liquid with the almond milk, you have a killer "cream of mushroom soup" to put in your tuna and noodles (or whatever). That way you don't have to use the "Cream of Salt Lick with Mushrooms" crap you get at the store.

Mmmm... that sounds good! I don't know if I trust myself enough to make a sauce yet. You start using words like "roux" and I get jittery.

I never get the canned stuff either... Cream of salt lick sounds about right. :))

John Pickard
02-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Mmmm... that sounds good! I don't know if I trust myself enough to make a sauce yet. You start using words like "roux" and I get jittery.

I never get the canned stuff either... Cream of salt lick sounds about right. :))

A roux is simple: just add an equal amount of flour to the fat - the consistency should be about that of wet sand - and cook it a few minutes (you need to cook the flour because raw flour doesn't taste good). You can cook it as long as you like, just don't let it burn; the flavor will intensify the longer you cook it. In fact, if you were using white flour you'd see it start to darken. There's a nice nutty aroma that comes off of it, too. This becomes the thickening agent when you add the liquid. I'm not sure how much liquid is too much...

Flygirl
02-14-2017, 11:54 AM
A roux is simple: just add an equal amount of flour to the fat - the consistency should be about that of wet sand - and cook it a few minutes (you need to cook the flour because raw flour doesn't taste good). You can cook it as long as you like, just don't let it burn; the flavor will intensify the longer you cook it. In fact, if you were using white flour you'd see it start to darken. There's a nice nutty aroma that comes off of it, too. This becomes the thickening agent when you add the liquid. I'm not sure how much liquid is too much...

Hey, thanks! I think I might actually try this. I'll put my chef's hat on and let you know how it goes. :)

Flygirl
02-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Just made my white sauce over brown rice pasta. I think it wasn't half bad but my husband is still laughing at me. :p

So, next time I need to put the onions in earlier (and use less of them), remember to season before I finish cooking, and let the sauce simmer for a while longer. BUT, my roux was PERFECT!! :D

Baby steps. Yep, he's still laughing. :mad:

John Pickard
02-15-2017, 12:05 AM
Keep practicing. He'll come around.

Either that or he'll starve.

Ooo. Is my lack of sympathy showing?

;)

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Tried umeboshi plum paste for the first time today. Is there a recommended amount/proportion for using it on stuff? Because I'm still trying to convince my tastebuds that an event nearing the magnitude of the zombie apocalypse did not just occur in my mouth. :))

Flygirl
02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Keep practicing. He'll come around.

Either that or he'll starve.

Ooo. Is my lack of sympathy showing?

;)

Thanks! Ohhh, it's not like that. I can't cook and he's a fabulous cook, and he also does not subscribe to macrobiotics (to put it mildly). So he was actually sitting there with his lovely plate of white spaghetti with homemade marinara and spicy Italian sausages, laughing at me. LOL

And speaking of temptation, my dad is visiting this week. He is from an Italian family, all very good cooks, and... how do I say this? The world revolves around food. Food = Love. So, even knowing that I just started a strict diet, he brought me a big bag of all my favorite chocolates and candy for Valentine's day. When I looked at it and said "I can't eat that", he got all disappointed and told me I can cheat on Valentine's day, and that I'm too skinny anyway, and dieting is no fun, and he went through all the trouble, I should at least eat one. On top of that, all he wants to do is go out to eat, order a bunch of appetizers and argue with me that they are healthy and I need to eat. I love my dad, but... Oy.

So I told him I'd eat the chocolates later while watching TV. Then I hid them. Now I feel guilty. And hungry.

LD - Haha :)) I haven't tried it yet. What does it taste like? I have seen pictures in a recipe for umeboshi rice balls, and it looks like they just used a very small amount. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon? Now I'm really curious though. Can you please describe the gustatory zombie apocalypse?

John Pickard
02-15-2017, 11:11 PM
LD, if you look at recipes that include umeboshi plums, they usually call for half a plum per serving - if I recall correctly; you'll need to check it out, I've been known to misremember stuff like that. There should be something there that would give you the equivalent amount of paste, too.

Having had a version of umeboshi rice balls myself - and I remember it fondly - I'd be interested in hearing your experience, too.

Having people not understand, even family, is common. I tell people I don't eat much in the way of meat anymore, and avoid sugar, and what do they serve me? Beef and ice cream. Time after time. So, if you have explained that you eat differently now and they still persist in giving you candy, don't feel guilty about saying 'no.' I don't eat at those friends' houses very often anymore.

As for your husband... Well, he is YOUR husband... ;)

LittleMonkeyDog
02-16-2017, 02:30 AM
LD, if you look at recipes that include umeboshi plums, they usually call for half a plum per serving - if I recall correctly; you'll need to check it out, I've been known to misremember stuff like that. There should be something there that would give you the equivalent amount of paste, too.

Having had a version of umeboshi rice balls myself - and I remember it fondly - I'd be interested in hearing your experience, too.

Having people not understand, even family, is common. I tell people I don't eat much in the way of meat anymore, and avoid sugar, and what do they serve me? Beef and ice cream. Time after time. So, if you have explained that you eat differently now and they still persist in giving you candy, don't feel guilty about saying 'no.' I don't eat at those friends' houses very often anymore.

As for your husband... Well, he is YOUR husband... ;)

I haven't had umeboshi plums up to now, so I can't share that experience.

But I have had people not understanding especially family and friends. And yes when you tell them about avoiding sugar and eating very small amounts to no meat at all, they look at you all strangely and serve you steak and pie. Because as they claim "you need them to get much needed energy". It's also the same with staying away from all chemicals (medication).

Flygirl
02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
I haven't had umeboshi plums up to now, so I can't share that experience.

But I have had people not understanding especially family and friends. And yes when you tell them about avoiding sugar and eating very small amounts to no meat at all, they look at you all strangely and serve you steak and pie. Because as they claim "you need them to get much needed energy". It's also the same with staying away from all chemicals (medication).

Oh yeah, I'm definitely starting to see what you guys have experienced. My husband will support my diet, even if he doesn't agree with it... he asks me where I can go for dinner or text me from the market to see if I need almond milk... Dad is impossible, but in his defense - he's old enough to be set in his ways. LOL

Took him out to lunch yesterday. He had a coupon for an appetizer at a steakhouse so I took him there, thinking I'll have a little salmon and asparagus, right? Well we get there and he asks me which appetizer I want - of course I can't have anything (did you notice there are no MB-friendly appetizers?? Other than edamame at sushi places...) but he insists to the waiter that I'm going to have some, and instructs him to bring an extra plate. Then he orders a huge steak and says, "you have to try this, let me cut you a piece." I felt like Dirk with a plate of puppy in front of me. :))

I need to turn it around and try to rub off on THEM a little. My dad is over 300 lbs and my husband is 260 lbs. Both with sky-high blood pressure and cholesterol. :(

LMD, I think I'm going to try and slowly back off my meds. I hate being dependent on chemicals, but I'm a little nervous about it and I have a feeling when I talk to my doctor, she's going to forbid it. Also, I still haven't gone to the holistic doctor yet (work and other obligations in the way). Think I'd feel better ignoring my medical doctor if the holistic doctor was supporting it. So I guess I'll wait until then...

LittleMonkeyDog
02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, I'm definitely starting to see what you guys have experienced. My husband will support my diet, even if he doesn't agree with it... he asks me where I can go for dinner or text me from the market to see if I need almond milk... Dad is impossible, but in his defense - he's old enough to be set in his ways. LOL

Took him out to lunch yesterday. He had a coupon for an appetizer at a steakhouse so I took him there, thinking I'll have a little salmon and asparagus, right? Well we get there and he asks me which appetizer I want - of course I can't have anything (did you notice there are no MB-friendly appetizers?? Other than edamame at sushi places...) but he insists to the waiter that I'm going to have some, and instructs him to bring an extra plate. Then he orders a huge steak and says, "you have to try this, let me cut you a piece." I felt like Dirk with a plate of puppy in front of me. :))

I need to turn it around and try to rub off on THEM a little. My dad is over 300 lbs and my husband is 260 lbs. Both with sky-high blood pressure and cholesterol. :(

LMD, I think I'm going to try and slowly back off my meds. I hate being dependent on chemicals, but I'm a little nervous about it and I have a feeling when I talk to my doctor, she's going to forbid it. Also, I still haven't gone to the holistic doctor yet (work and other obligations in the way). Think I'd feel better ignoring my medical doctor if the holistic doctor was supporting it. So I guess I'll wait until then...

My husband supports me too, but doesn't want to try MB claiming 'we were already eating healthy enough'. I have inserted some MB into their usual food and they like everything so far (maybe because I don't tell them it's MB :p). My mom knows about the food adjustements, but doesn't really get it. She keeps on cooking steak whenever I come to dinner and I've gently tried to tell her that I'm not into red meat anymore. But she's also a bit old fashioned so maybe that's why ... My youngest calls my dinner 'zen food' :))

FG you might wanna check with your doctor or the holistic one when you got the time to visit him/her about your meds. I don't really have to take anything so it's easy for me not to start taking things. And I'm very lucky that my doctor is into alternative medicine (avoid chemicals or merely rest) and understands me completely. I do here other stories from some friends of mine ...:eek: E.g. Their doctor prescribes antibiotics to prevent them from getting the flu ???????? No, thanks.

ojai22
02-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Tried umeboshi plum paste for the first time today. Is there a recommended amount/proportion for using it on stuff? Because I'm still trying to convince my tastebuds that an event nearing the magnitude of the zombie apocalypse did not just occur in my mouth. :))

In Aveline Kushi’s Complete Guide to Macrobioting Cooking, page 43, there is this table:

APPROXIMATE SEASONING EQUIVALENTS.

1/4 tsp. Sea salt equals 1 1/2 tsp. Tamari or 1 2/3 tsp. Miso or 1 tsp. Umeboshi Plum.

1 1/2 tsp. Umeboshi Plum Paste equals 1 Umeboshi Plum.

If it's too late to make tea, because I don't want to be peeing all night, I take 1/2 tsp. paste and just touch my tongue to it. That's all you can take of it straight. Keep touching till it's gone, and your headache or upset stomach or whatever should be gone.

I've never made rice balls but have read that you make a little hole in the ball and poke in a plum. I'd have to check to see if you use a whole plum for each rice ball.

Once I tried the balls but they seem to go so fast. I can keep a container of paste forever. And it's easier to eat from a spoon....

Flygirl
02-16-2017, 06:42 PM
My husband supports me too, but doesn't want to try MB claiming 'we were already eating healthy enough'. I have inserted some MB into their usual food and they like everything so far (maybe because I don't tell them it's MB :p). My mom knows about the food adjustements, but doesn't really get it. She keeps on cooking steak whenever I come to dinner and I've gently tried to tell her that I'm not into red meat anymore. But she's also a bit old fashioned so maybe that's why ... My youngest calls my dinner 'zen food' :))

FG you might wanna check with your doctor or the holistic one when you got the time to visit him/her about your meds. I don't really have to take anything so it's easy for me not to start taking things. And I'm very lucky that my doctor is into alternative medicine (avoid chemicals or merely rest) and understands me completely. I do here other stories from some friends of mine ...:eek: E.g. Their doctor prescribes antibiotics to prevent them from getting the flu ???????? No, thanks.

Oh, I don't know if this is better or worse in the U.S. -- My kids' pediatrician always guilts us about not getting them the flu shot. As if we are the ONLY parents in the world not vaccinating their kids for this year's flu. Now, from what I hear, they can only create the vaccine based on known strains of flu, so how can they claim this year's vaccine will be 100% effective against this year's new strain of flu? Also, I've heard stories from people who actually get a mild flu from the vaccine. My kids never get the flu, so I don't see why we should take a chance on the vaccine making them sick. Nonetheless, every time I go in to the office they look at my file... and say, "OHHH, you FAILED to get your kids the flu shot. Did you mean to do that?" and I explain that my husband and I don't want them to have it, and then they ask, "May I ask why? It's an especially bad flu season..." I feel like telling them, "Why no, you may not ask why. They're MY kids!" :p

ojai22
02-16-2017, 06:57 PM
I haven't checked this very well yet, but I just heard Donald Trump has never had a flu shot, and he's never had the flu. How about that?

I never get shots and I never get sick. Isn't that odd? We can actually pay someone to make us sick, then pay them again to try to make us well, except in many cases, the meds only cause more trouble. This world needs to get back on track.

John Pickard
02-16-2017, 10:37 PM
One year, I think it was back in the '80s, maybe even earlier, the folks who produce the flu vaccine screwed up and left some live viruses in it, which wound up infecting people with the very disease that the vaccine was supposed to help prevent. To this day, the flu shot has never lived it down.

The proper process, of course, is to divide the dead virus into sections and only certain sections go into the vaccine, which means the vaccine cannot give you the flu. The body then develops antibodies for those inert sections of virus. So when the currently circulating flu bug invades the body, the antibodies find that section of virus they're built for and kill the whole virus.

There are dozens of influenza viruses, but only some rise into prominence each year. The modern vaccines cover multiple strains, but it's largely a guessing game as to which strains will be most active in any given year. This year's vaccine is a pretty good match, by all reports.

And if any doctor is prescribing antibiotics as a preventative for the flu, run - do not walk - to a new doctor. Antibiotics have no affect whatsoever on a virus, and the over-prescription of antibiotics is what has given rise to the truly nasty, drug-resistant bugs like MERSA, which kill.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried a much smaller serving of the umeboshi paste and it was much more palatable. In tiny quantities it tastes like slightly salty plum... anything larger just tastes like what I can only describe as saltier than the saltiest salt. A little shocking at first :))

Perfect timing with your suggestion, Ojai - I had a stomachache tonight because of something I ate earlier, and the umeboshi seemed to help. :)

ojai22
02-16-2017, 10:55 PM
LD, try it with the soy sauce or tamari in Kukicha tea. Really good and good for what ails you.....:)

Flygirl
02-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Another pet peeve... (sorry, I'm in griping mode!) They never serve healthy foods at office events. Next week is Engineer's Week and we have lunchtime events and demos all week long - Everyone is excited because all week long, we get free hot dogs, cookies and soda at every event. Inevitably, someone is going to ask me why I'm not enjoying the free food.

Whoop de doo. What's so hard about offering a veggie plate? :p

Flygirl
02-17-2017, 08:48 AM
In tiny quantities it tastes like slightly salty plum... anything larger just tastes like what I can only describe as saltier than the saltiest salt.

Yuck. Alligator -- alligator tastes like pure salt to me.

I'm going to try the rice balls sometime, though. My next big endeavor is Dirk's carrot soup. Then I'm going to try my hand at homemade brown rice sushi. :)

John Pickard
02-17-2017, 09:41 AM

I'm going to try the rice balls sometime, though. My next big endeavor is Dirk's carrot soup. Then I'm going to try my hand at homemade brown rice sushi. :)

Take it from me - you'll want to use short-grain brown rice, and warm so the starch is sticky (I don't use anything in the rice to make it sticky, since it's usually sugar water, so warm sticky rice is the way at my house). Long-grain rice doesn't have the starch.

Let us know how it turns out. My first attempts at rolling sushi was something of a disaster... Still tasted good, though.

LittleMonkeyDog
02-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Another pet peeve... (sorry, I'm in griping mode!) They never serve healthy foods at office events. Next week is Engineer's Week and we have lunchtime events and demos all week long - Everyone is excited because all week long, we get free hot dogs, cookies and soda at every event. Inevitably, someone is going to ask me why I'm not enjoying the free food.

Not hard at all !!! We had healthy snacks (veggies) at our latest team event, but hardly anyone but me touched them. They only had eyes for all of the sweet stuff. Lucky me !!! I ended up with more :))
Local schools are learning kids/teens to eat healthy and also offer healthy food and snacks. My youngest even tasted brown rice crackers at school and loved them.

LittleMonkeyDog
02-17-2017, 10:29 AM

I can recommend the soup. It's delicious and I've eaten all of it.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Take it from me - you'll want to use short-grain brown rice, and warm so the starch is sticky (I don't use anything in the rice to make it sticky, since it's usually sugar water, so warm sticky rice is the way at my house). Long-grain rice doesn't have the starch.

Let us know how it turns out. My first attempts at rolling sushi was something of a disaster... Still tasted good, though.

Mmm, I still need to try making sushi. When I was in San Fran I got a mini sushi rolling mat, but it's still in its original packaging waiting for me to get up the courage to attempt it. :)

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-17-2017, 09:46 PM
I can recommend the soup. It's delicious and I've eaten all of it.

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't read the chat before reading this... :p

Ridiculous-sounding question: how "carroty" does the soup actually taste? I have had no success teaching myself to like carrots in years of trying; I can only tolerate them if I can't taste them or the taste is sufficiently blended with other tastes. Blaming my parents, who when I was a baby apparently fed me too much carrot baby food one time, and my skin turned orange.

Then there was the time I tried tanning butter. It tasted pretty yucky, but it did turn my tongue a nice shade of brown. ;)

Vballspieler
02-17-2017, 09:58 PM

My company brought in veggies and gluten free food. We also have veggies, fruit, whole-grain, and organic options in our lunchroom. Bottled water was always an option, too.

When I was doing the 10 day rice diet, no one commented on the fact that I didnt indulge in the catered food and opted for my rice and water.

Make a suggestion in the suggestion box.

Vballspieler
02-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Flyngirl, we have four options for eating out in Minneapolis. They are macrobiotic restaurants and close to GV. We'll have to decide which one we want to try.

LittleMonkeyDog
02-18-2017, 05:18 AM
I'm kind of wishing I hadn't read the chat before reading this... :p

Ridiculous-sounding question: how "carroty" does the soup actually taste? I have had no success teaching myself to like carrots in years of trying; I can only tolerate them if I can't taste them or the taste is sufficiently blended with other tastes. Blaming my parents, who when I was a baby apparently fed me too much carrot baby food one time, and my skin turned orange.

Then there was the time I tried tanning butter. It tasted pretty yucky, but it did turn my tongue a nice shade of brown. ;)

LOL. I can imagine :))

Well ... I must admit it tastes very carroty. The taste does not blend with other tastes. But maybe you can alter the veggie. I'm going to try to make this soup with other veggies as well to obtain the pure veggie taste. I love to experiment with food recipies in the kitchen ...

LittleMonkeyDog
02-18-2017, 05:20 AM
My company brought in veggies and gluten free food. We also have veggies, fruit, whole-grain, and organic options in our lunchroom. Bottled water was always an option, too.

When I was doing the 10 day rice diet, no one commented on the fact that I didnt indulge in the catered food and opted for my rice and water.

Make a suggestion in the suggestion box.

Nice. Sounds like you have very understanding co-workers :) It's nice that they didn't make any comments. Were they also supportive?

Vballspieler
02-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Nice. Sounds like you have very understanding co-workers :) It's nice that they didn't make any comments. Were they also supportive?

We had a discussion about how much weight i've lost since changing my diet; how I always take the stairs, and manage to get my work done even with my family crises. (I'm the sane one; no health issues, no pills, and no arthritis) We all remind each other to drink water and take a break now and then to stay healthy. Anytime someone bakes, they bring in a healthy option. As my company markets whole-grain and organic options, there is never a reason to be defensive about my food choices.
They are very supportive when i've had a rough day (usually family-related) and we can vent to each other when necessary. I've been told multiple times to blog about my family as it is more entertaining than the soap operas that are on tv.
My family is not supportive. Besides walking out on me, i've been called suicidal and a bad sibling because I don't join them in the non-macrobiotic choices. My youngest niece is actually the one requesting more whole-grain and veggie options in the house. Hoping we can do a garden together this summer as she usually begs for one.

Flygirl
02-18-2017, 01:07 PM
LOL. I can imagine :))

Well ... I must admit it tastes very carroty. The taste does not blend with other tastes. But maybe you can alter the veggie. I'm going to try to make this soup with other veggies as well to obtain the pure veggie taste. I love to experiment with food recipies in the kitchen ...

I just made it - very good!! I think I'm going to try replacing the cinnamon with a little roasted red pepper next time.

I love carrots so it's a great comfort food for me. And today is a rainy day, perfect for soup. :)

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-18-2017, 01:17 PM
I just made it - very good!! I think I'm going to try replacing the cinnamon with a little roasted red pepper next time.

I love carrots so it's a great comfort food for me. And today is a rainy day, perfect for soup. :)

Yes, soup definitely tastes better when it's rainy or cold. But it tastes pretty good all the time anyway. :)

Just curious, are you familiar with the different kinds of cinnamon? I've read that there are two kinds, something like Cassian and Ceylon, and the first one can be harmful if eaten too often because of something in it, but it's the kind found in most available products with cinnamon. You have to look specifically for the Ceylon kind I guess. Just wondering because I like putting cinnamon on foods, but don't know where to find the kind I could use more often.

ojai22
02-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Just curious, are you familiar with the different kinds of cinnamon? I've read that there are two kinds, something like Cassian and Ceylon, and the first one can be harmful if eaten too often because of something in it, but it's the kind found in most available products with cinnamon. You have to look specifically for the Ceylon kind I guess. Just wondering because I like putting cinnamon on foods, but don't know where to find the kind I could use more often.

Funny you should ask! LOL

I read about the real cinnamon for sometime, but always bought the Cassia type as I was used to it and really liked it. So one day I decided I would get the real deal. I didn’t go into it half-way. I should have bought a small container of it to try. I had read some reviews about it being tasteless but went into with gusto. Bought a whole pound of Ceylon cinnamon. Can you imagine what a pound of cinnamon looks like?

Well, I got it and the bad reviews were right, for my taste. It didn’t have any taste! I increased the volume of what I was using to try to get some flavor, but only felt it in my kidneys and knew I had overdone it.

LD, you want to try Ceylon cinnamon? I have tons of it, I can send you some….

John Pickard
02-18-2017, 05:17 PM
From Wikipedia:

Cinnamon (/ˈsɪnəmən/ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English) SIN-ə-mən (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Pronunciation_respelling_key)) is a spice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice) obtained from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cinnamomum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum). Cinnamon is used in both sweet and savoury foods. The term "cinnamon" also refers to its mid-brown colour.
Cinnamomum verum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_verum) is sometimes considered to be "true cinnamon", but most cinnamon in international commerce is derived from related species, also referred to as "cassia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_cassia)" to distinguish them from "true cinnamon".[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-fao93-1)[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-2)

A number of species are often sold as cinnamon:[28] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-28)

Cinnamomum cassia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_cassia) (cassia or Chinese cinnamon, the most common commercial type)
C. burmannii (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_burmannii) (Korintje, Padang cassia, or Indonesian cinnamon)
C. loureiroi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_loureiroi) (Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia, or Vietnamese cinnamon)
C. verum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_verum) (Sri Lanka cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon)
C. citriodorum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_citriodorum) (Malabar cinnamon)
C. tamale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_tamala) (Indian cinnamon)

Cassia is the strong, spicy flavour associated with cinnamon rolls and other such baked goods, as it handles baking conditions well. Chinese cinnamon is generally a medium to light reddish brown, hard and woody in texture, and thicker (2–3 mm (0.079–0.118 in) thick), as all of the layers of bark are used. Ceylon cinnamon, using only the thin inner bark, has a lighter brown colour, a finer, less dense and more crumbly texture, and is considered to be subtler and more aromatic in flavour than cassia, losing much of its flavour during cooking.
Levels of the blood-thinning agent coumarin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin) in Ceylon cinnamon are much lower than those in cassia.[29] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-bfr.bund.de-29)[30] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-30)
The barks of the species are easily distinguished when whole, both in macroscopic and microscopic characteristics. Ceylon cinnamon sticks (quills) have many thin layers and can easily be made into powder using a coffee or spice grinder, whereas cassia sticks are much harder. Indonesian cinnamon is often sold in neat quills made up of one thick layer, capable of damaging a spice or coffee grinder. Saigon cinnamon (C. loureiroi) and Chinese cinnamon (C. cassia) are always sold as broken pieces of thick bark, as the bark is not supple enough to be rolled into quills. The powdered bark is harder to distinguish, but if it is treated with tincture of iodine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_of_iodine) (a test for starch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch#Chemical_tests)[31] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-31)), little effect is visible with pure Ceylon cinnamon, but when Chinese cinnamon is present, a deep-blue tint is produced.[32] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-bota_cassia-32)[33] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-33)

The flavour of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil) that makes up 0.5 to 1% of its composition. This essential oil is prepared by roughly pounding the bark, macerating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macerating) it in sea water, and then quickly distilling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation) the whole. It is of a golden-yellow colour, with the characteristic odour of cinnamon and a very hot aromatic taste. The pungent taste (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste) and scent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scent) come from cinnamaldehyde (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamaldehyde) (about 90% of the essential oil from the bark) and, by reaction with oxygen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen) as it ages, it darkens in colour and forms resinous compounds. Other chemical components of the essential oil include ethyl cinnamate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_cinnamate), eugenol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenol) (found mostly in the leaves), beta-caryophyllene (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryophyllene), linalool (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linalool), and methyl chavicol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_chavicol).[citation needed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]

Cinnamon bark is used as a spice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice). It is principally employed in cookery as a condiment and flavouring material. It is used in the preparation of chocolate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate), especially in Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico), which is the main importer of cinnamon.[34] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-34) It is also used in many dessert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessert) recipes, such as apple pie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_pie), doughnuts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut), and cinnamon buns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_bun), as well as spicy candies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy), coffee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee), tea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea), hot cocoa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cocoa), and liqueurs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liqueur). In the Middle East (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East), cinnamon is often used in savoury dishes of chicken and lamb. In the United States, cinnamon and sugar are often used to flavour cereals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_cereal), bread-based dishes, such as toast (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast), and fruits (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit), especially apples (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple); a cinnamon-sugar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_sugar) mixture is even sold separately for such purposes. It is also used in Turkish cuisine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_cuisine) for both sweet and savoury dishes. Cinnamon can also be used in pickling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickling). Cinnamon powder has long been an important spice in enhancing the flavour of Persian cuisine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_cuisine), used in a variety of thick soups, drinks, and sweets.[35] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon#cite_note-35):10–12

There's more on the page, of course, but these are the highlights.

Whichever variety, don't eat a large quantity of it all at once (the Cinnamon Challenge can be lethal).

ojai22
02-18-2017, 08:44 PM
I've read many comments from people who praise the subtle flavor of Ceylon cinnamon. And some, including a professional chef, that say it has no flavor at all. I think there may be something wrong with my taste buds. However, I'm going to give it another try in my morning oatmeal and see what happens. God knows I have enough of it.....:) But it's sealed tightly and stored in the fridge.

John Pickard
02-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Penzy's has a cinnamon from Vietnam that's really flavorful. FYI.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-18-2017, 10:08 PM
Penzy's has a cinnamon from Vietnam that's really flavorful. FYI.

Ooh, I might look into that. I've learned so much about cinnamon today, I really should put that new knowledge to work in the kitchen. Thanks!

I've read many comments from people who praise the subtle flavor of Ceylon cinnamon. And some, including a professional chef, that say it has no flavor at all. I think there may be something wrong with my taste buds. However, I'm going to give it another try in my morning oatmeal and see what happens. God knows I have enough of it.....:) But it's sealed tightly and stored in the fridge.

That's really interesting how it tastes different to different people. My taste buds are fairly sensitive, so I'd be interested to try it. Let me know how it tastes when you try it again; maybe your experience will be different this time. Buying in bulk something you end up not using - oh, I've *never* done that before... (pay no attention to the food in the back of the pantry) :p

Flygirl
02-23-2017, 02:50 PM
THEY HAVE BROWN RICE SUSHI AT MY FAVORITE LUNCH SPOT!!!

I'm so happy. :)

Went to meet the hubby for lunch, thinking I'll just have some miso soup. Even though it's not on any menu, apparently, if you ask them for it, they'll make it. (Which makes total sense as they make the sushi to order, anyway. But I hadn't thought of that. D'oh!) So my advice, if you like sushi, ask them if they'll make it with brown rice. Also, it was delicious.

Vballspieler
02-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Awesome. Brown rice is good for you, I hear. ��

Flygirl
02-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Going along with the idea of "simple eating" (and because I worked so hard at the sushi today!) - my dinner tonight:

Red lentils cooked with garlic & a pinch of celery seed, mixed with millet and a little sea salt to taste. Yummy!

https://image.flaticon.com/icons/png/128/333/333422.png

For dessert, my dandelion tea and a brown rice cake.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Going along with the idea of "simple eating" (and because I worked so hard at the sushi today!) - my dinner tonight:

Red lentils cooked with garlic & a pinch of celery seed, mixed with millet and a little sea salt to taste. Yummy!

https://image.flaticon.com/icons/png/128/333/333422.png

For dessert, my dandelion tea and a brown rice cake.

Sounds lovely! Got any leftovers you're willing to share? :)

I had dandelion tea too this afternoon. It's finally starting to grow on me. Working to convince my tastebuds it doesn't taste like licorice root tea - something I tried so hard to like in spite of the saccharine sweet taste that I drank it over and over, until now I can't drink it without gagging. Oops. :p

My dad bought some fresh rosemary and garlic for something he's making, so I can't wait to try them in a recipe of my own. A trip to the store for some squash may be in order tomorrow. Between being sick or just exhausted and busy pretty much ever since the semester began, it's been way too long since I did anything really fun in the kitchen. But many thanks to you for officially inspiring me! :)

*Edit: Am I the only one laughing about dandelion tea growing on me? Maybe it's better not to double-check your own posts after you post them LOL.

Vballspieler
02-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Do we need to de-flower you? Lol.

It won't grow on me. I'm safe.

Flygirl
02-26-2017, 10:20 PM
I had dandelion tea too this afternoon. It's finally starting to grow on me.

*Edit: Am I the only one laughing about dandelion tea growing on me? Maybe it's better not to double-check your own posts after you post them LOL.

Haha! No. I got the email with your original post in it and clicked over here to make a lovely snarky comment about dandelions growing on you.

Darn it. I'm too late!! :))

Vballspieler
02-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Haha! No. I got the email with your original post in it and clicked over here to make a lovely snarky comment about dandelions growing on you.

Better luck next time. I'd let you help me, but I know that dandelion tea has already grown on you, too. What a garden we have!

Lmao

Flygirl
02-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Better luck next time. I'd let you help me, but I know that dandelion tea has already grown on you, too. What a garden we have!

Lmao

:)) :)) :))

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-27-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm a little sorry I didn't get the benefit of your snarky comment. Just a little. :D

Ludlum'sDaughter14
02-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Lmao

Stay strong! The dandelions must not take us all!

Have you ever seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Because now I'm thinking maybe dandelions don't grow on us; we grow from dandelions. Too bad we're only conversing online or we could detect the remnant and scream at them. :eek:

Michele Ann
03-05-2017, 08:56 AM
I think I'll make more miso soup today. Time to make another batch of brown rice as well today, Sunday. Perfect soup day too. It's 11°F out in Boston. March, my foot.

By the way, anyone try brown rice pasta? I love it.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
03-05-2017, 10:15 AM
I think I'll make more miso soup today. Time to make another batch of brown rice as well today, Sunday. Perfect soup day too. It's 11°F out in Boston. March, my foot.

I'm having miso right now as part of breakfast. :) I get a fantastic instant mix from Edward & Sons, and since it doesn't have any big pieces in it I just drink it out of a mug with a spoon handy. Occasionally add toasted nori. Are you making yours from scratch? Would love to see a picture when you're done. :)

Never tried brown rice pasta but would definitely be interested. How do the taste and texture compare to wheat pasta?

BTW, how's the foot marching going? ;)

John Pickard
03-05-2017, 10:41 AM
We make miso soup for breakfast 5 out of the 7 days a week. We dissolve the paste (a tablespoon and a half, roughly, per serving - more or less depending on taste) in hot (not boiling) water in a suribachi , saute some onion and mushroom (usually shiitake), prep wakame seaweed in another pot, then combine in the bowls, adding enough water to bring the concentration of miso to tolerable levels (I like mine stronger than my mrs. does, so she adds more water to hers).

I've never tried the instant mixes...

ojai22
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM

I've been eating it for years. You must be careful and not cook it too long. One thing it does that is different is the water it's cooked in turns really opaque because some of the rice washes off as it cooks. I use to throw it out, then one day, I was making soup and wondered what if I add that to the soup? Won't that make it more nutritious? So now, I let the broth - it's that thick - cool, then refrigerate till I make soup or beans, or someplace I can use it. Sort of recycling!

Michele Ann
03-05-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm having miso right now as part of breakfast. :) I get a fantastic instant mix from Edward & Sons, and since it doesn't have any big pieces in it I just drink it out of a mug with a spoon handy. Occasionally add toasted nori. Are you making yours from scratch? Would love to see a picture when you're done. :)

Never tried brown rice pasta but would definitely be interested. How do the taste and texture compare to wheat pasta?

BTW, how's the foot marching going? ;)

Soup came out great. Just had a cup. I get the paste from an Asian grocery store in San Francisco along with my japanese brown rice. I put in my carrots and celery and a bit of garlic (Italian here) and onion. Also some grated ginger. Let us not forget a black bean. Delish and nutrish.

Flygirl
04-12-2017, 06:42 PM
I have developed an addiction to Blue Diamond almonds, lightly salted with sea salt.

That is all. :)

Flygirl
04-12-2017, 10:25 PM
FYI - I've just created the best lentil soup EVAH. It's, like, wicked awesome. Golf Oscar Alpha Tango. (I could be biased. Haha) I know chicken stock is verboten, but you could probably substitute vegetable stock.

If you try it, please let me know what you think!

Flying Girl's Lentil Soup :)

1 pound red lentils
8 cups chicken stock
6 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon pink sea salt

Combine 6 cups chicken stock and lentils a large pot. Set remaining chicken stock aside. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium/low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

While simmering, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, then add onion and celery. Stir fry the vegetables 7-10 minutes, until just softened.

Stir vegetables into the lentils and add remaining 2 cups of chicken stock. Season with cumin and sea salt. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender.

Stir in lemon juice and cilantro and serve.

Makes about 10 servings @ 280 cals./serving

Darn - I just realized this should have been a new thread under "recipes". I'm gonna post it there. Sorry for the re-post!

Vballspieler
04-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Verboten, you say? Not forbidden?

ROFL. OMG. Ich liebe es.

:)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))

Ludlum'sDaughter14
04-13-2017, 08:39 AM
We'll make a deutschsprachige Person of you yet. ;)

LittleMonkeyDog
04-13-2017, 03:04 PM
ROFL. Now I really wanna try the recipe :p

Flygirl
04-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Verboten, you say? Not forbidden?

ROFL. OMG. Ich liebe es.

:)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))

Ich arbeite dran...

Flygirl
05-07-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm now addicted to Bob's Red Mill Muesli for breakfast. Just covered with unsweetened almond milk (the raisins give it enough sweetness) and sit it in the fridge for 15 minutes or until all the almond milk soaks in to the oats. It's my new favorite breakfast!

I'm at the airport again. Peet's Coffee and Tea has a simple oatmeal with flax seed (you have to ask for it plain!) Not crazy about their coffee, but it's the only restaurant in the concourse that has anything even remotely resembling MB food. Spending the week at a conference in Dallas. The hotel I'm staying at is located among 6-7 steak restaurants which seem to be famous for steaks as big as your face! I'll see what I can do about healthy eating... lol... don't mess with Texas!! LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too. :)

LittleMonkeyDog
05-07-2017, 10:04 AM
LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too. :)

Not sure he will get to enjoy it that much since it is a very work related trip and a very busy one with lots and lots of meetings. He'll be on campus most of the time.

He's been to Texas several times now and he likes it a whole lot (and so do I and I've only visited once). I so want to go back one day ...

Vballspieler
05-07-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm now addicted to Bob's Red Mill Muesli for breakfast. Just covered with unsweetened almond milk (the raisins give it enough sweetness) and sit it in the fridge for 15 minutes or until all the almond milk soaks in to the oats. It's my new favorite breakfast!

I'm at the airport again. Peet's Coffee and Tea has a simple oatmeal with flax seed (you have to ask for it plain!) Not crazy about their coffee, but it's the only restaurant in the concourse that has anything even remotely resembling MB food. Spending the week at a conference in Dallas. The hotel I'm staying at is located among 6-7 steak restaurants which seem to be famous for steaks as big as your face! I'll see what I can do about healthy eating... lol... don't mess with Texas!! LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too. :)

I see a need for more mb options....

Ludlum'sDaughter14
05-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I see a need for more mb options....

Man, where's that knowing-eyebrow-wiggle emoji when you need one? :p

Ludlum'sDaughter14
05-07-2017, 05:54 PM

I really want to try this now.

Vballspieler
05-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Man, where's that knowing-eyebrow-wiggle emoji when you need one? :p

I'm working on it. Tax season is over (for two months) but a girl needs some me-time. You could always bug, I mean ask someone else...;);););)

Flygirl
05-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Swanky restaurants always put "basmati rice" on the menu... and it's very rarely BROWN basmati rice...

On a similar note... The other night I went for sushi and asked if they could prepare it with brown rice... I've had mixed results with this request. My regular (locally owned) sushi joint will do it without batting an eye, while others have looked at me like I'm crazy. (The waiter at PF Chang's informed me it could not be done, because white rice is stickier. I suggested sushi rice is stickier because of how it's prepared. He argued with me but eventually asked the kitchen to make it and they did comply...) Anyhoo... where was I? Oh okay. So I asked for brown rice, and the waiter said, "we don't have brown rice, but all our sushi is made with black rice, which is higher in nutrients and antioxidants. Intrigued, I ordered it and checked it out online. The interwebz suggest black rice is similar to brown in that the hull is not removed so it retains most of its nutritional value.. it's very high in antioxidants and the only drawback I found is if it's not properly washed it can have high levels of arsenic (!!!)...

Anyone have experience with/ feedback/ suggestions/ strong convictions wrt black rice? It's kind of purplish looking, actually, not black. Once it's cooked. Not bad as far as flavor is concerned. Not sure how expensive it is in the grocery store.

Flygirl
06-30-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm currently addicted to Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain english muffins.

Michele turned me on to the Ezekiel brand a while back. Thanks, Michele! :)

I have to admit, these are the first and only ones I've tried - but they do have several kinds. They are very dense and filling, so just one will keep me going from breakfast to a late lunch. Pairs well with Bancha tea!

Here's the link to their website (Food for Life Baking Co.) if anyone's interested:
http://www.foodforlife.com/

Happy Friday! :cool:

Vballspieler
07-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Swanky restaurants always put "basmati rice" on the menu... and it's very rarely BROWN basmati rice...

On a similar note... The other night I went for sushi and asked if they could prepare it with brown rice... I've had mixed results with this request. My regular (locally owned) sushi joint will do it without batting an eye, while others have looked at me like I'm crazy. (The waiter at PF Chang's informed me it could not be done, because white rice is stickier. I suggested sushi rice is stickier because of how it's prepared. He argued with me but eventually asked the kitchen to make it and they did comply...) Anyhoo... where was I? Oh okay. So I asked for brown rice, and the waiter said, "we don't have brown rice, but all our sushi is made with black rice, which is higher in nutrients and antioxidants. Intrigued, I ordered it and checked it out online. The interwebz suggest black rice is similar to brown in that the hull is not removed so it retains most of its nutritional value.. it's very high in antioxidants and the only drawback I found is if it's not properly washed it can have high levels of arsenic (!!!)...

Anyone have experience with/ feedback/ suggestions/ strong convictions wrt black rice? It's kind of purplish looking, actually, not black. Once it's cooked. Not bad as far as flavor is concerned. Not sure how expensive it is in the grocery store.

We found some at Natural Grocers in Missouri.

Flygirl
07-22-2017, 10:26 AM
We found some at Natural Grocers in Missouri.

Oh yeah - did you wind up buying anything at NG?

I'm trying to remember the conversation we had with Dirk about black rice. He'd tried it before - overseas, I think - and he indicated it was just as beneficial as brown rice (because they don't process it and remove the hull).

I'm going to buy some online for making sushi. Let you all know how that works out! :)

Flygirl
07-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Has anyone tried these?? They're really good.

https://resources.salewhale.ca/products_sales_images/retailer_50/2016-07-07/p0_1467896633.4949/harvest-snaps-snapea.jpg

I travel a lot for work (and by a lot, I mean a LOT)... and Delta Airlines now has a variety of snack boxes you can purchase - one of which is called the "Tapas" box, and is very MB-friendly. That's how I found them. Nice to see some of the airline food getting healthier. Of course there's still a snack box with cheeses, chips and cookies for the non-dieting crowd. :cool:

LittleMonkeyDog
07-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah - did you wind up buying anything at NG?

I'm trying to remember the conversation we had with Dirk about black rice. He'd tried it before - overseas, I think - and he indicated it was just as beneficial as brown rice (because they don't process it and remove the hull).

I'm going to buy some online for making sushi. Let you all know how that works out! :)

Yes, please. I've never had black rice before.

LittleMonkeyDog
07-22-2017, 04:08 PM

https://resources.salewhale.ca/products_sales_images/retailer_50/2016-07-07/p0_1467896633.4949/harvest-snaps-snapea.jpg

I travel a lot for work (and by a lot, I mean a LOT)... and Delta Airlines now has a variety of snack boxes you can purchase - one of which is called the "Tapas" box, and is very MB-friendly. That's how I found them. Nice to see some of the airline food getting healthier. Of course there's still a snack box with cheeses, chips and cookies for the non-dieting crowd. :cool:

I hope this will inspire other airlines as well to serve more healthy food.

Vballspieler
07-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Yes, please. I've never had black rice before.

Or you could just be patient.

Yes, I did stop at natural grocers on my way out of town. Bought some items that I want to try. If I like, then I will see if I can order them.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
07-22-2017, 10:41 PM

Yes! Walmart actually sells these and I love them.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
07-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Or you could just be patient.

Yes, I did stop at natural grocers on my way out of town. Bought some items that I want to try. If I like, then I will see if I can order them.

Keep us posted... literally.

(I know, I know, that was sad :p)

MRDENNIS916
07-28-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm working on it. Tax season is over (for two months) but a girl needs some me-time. You could always bug, I mean ask someone else...;);););)

I wonder how "taxing" it would be, mein Fraulein, err how much "me time" you need to eat "bugs" like Angelina Jolie.:o

Btw, an eatery in/near Downtown Sacramento has chocolate covered crickets. I wonder how Dirk or his nutritionist would rate Chinese scorpions on a stick or air fried maggots and mealy worms.

Vballspieler
07-28-2017, 08:50 PM
I wonder how "taxing" it would be, mein Fraulein, err how much "me time" you need to eat "bugs" like Angelina Jolie.:o

Btw, an eatery in/near Downtown Sacramento has chocolate covered crickets. I wonder how Dirk or his nutritionist would rate Chinese scorpions on a stick or air fried maggots and mealy worms.

I don't know that I can answer this. If it's a choice between income taxes or the bugs, you might have a shot at getting me to eat the bugs. Then again, after being through an IRS audit, I just might take my chances with the auditors. I aced my tax classes; I just don't like income taxes. My own are plenty.

If it's a choice between payroll taxes and the bugs, i definitely choose payroll taxes. They are much more fun.

However, I might needs lots and lots of water either way. :)) :)) :))

Haben Sie crickets gegessen? Schmeckt es gut? >:)

Flygirl
03-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Folks, I’ve made an important life decision. I’m going to bite the bullet and try Daiya cheese. Cheeseless cheese. Perfidious yellow substance masquerading as cheese. As a cheese lover, I feel I will be sorely disappointed, but we’ll see. I felt the need to share with you all. If I like it, I shall subsequently post a review.

If not, it’s all Michele’s fault... ;)