PDA

View Full Version : Leverage: the "modern" A-Team?

Ludlum'sDaughter14
11-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone's seen the recent TV show Leverage and has any thoughts on the correlation to the A-Team? Leverage had a 5 season run from 2008-2012. It featured a team of five people who were fugitives because four of them were world-class criminals. Nate Ford, a former insurance investigator, brought the team together and was the mastermind and the only non-criminal. The rest of the group included Sophie Devereaux (grifter), Eliot Spencer (hit man), Parker (thief and stunts coordinator), and Alec Hardison (hacker). After they were all betrayed, they formed a team and started to "[use] their skills to right corporate and governmental injustices inflicted on common citizens" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Leverage_episodes

The main differences of the Leverage team from the A-Team is that of there were five team members, two were women, and (spoiler alert) both were paired up with male members of the team by the end (seriously?). Otherwise the roles correlate surprisingly well: Hannibal/Nate Ford - planner; Face/Sophie Devereaux - con artist; BA/Eliot Spencer - muscle; Murdock/Parker - aerial acrobatics (Murdock's involved planes, while Parker's involved lines and pulleys); and Amy/Alec Hardison - info and access provider (I know Amy's not part of the team but I included her for the sake of comparison).

Anyway, just curious if anyone else knew about Leverage. If you're an A-Team fan and you've never seen it, I'd highly recommend it. The fourth and fifth seasons are the best in my opinion, but season 1 is pretty good too. :)

Flygirl
11-22-2016, 10:34 AM
I LOVE Leverage! Easily the most similar modern day show to the A-Team. I started watching them on syndication, but I've seen almost all of them now... it's on ION and they pretty much run it all day on Sundays. I'm actually not a big fan of Sophie, so I saw the Face more in the Hardisan, smart-alecky character... I think his skills (breaking and entering, lock picking, etc) would translate well today to hacking. So in my mind, if Leverage was like a "next generation" A-Team, Face's kid would be Hardisan with Sophie's grifting skills (obviously going with personality and not looks). I saw all the rest aligning as you described. In fact if I wrote the screenplay for the next gen show, I'd cast the girl who plays Parker as Murdock's daughter. She plays the crazy but loveable thing really well and the cat burglar thing suits her (also she's tall and thin like Dwight)... only in my show she'd be a pilot too.

I liked the first season a lot when they worked out of an Irish bar in Boston. I could be biased, as an Irish girl from MA. ;)

The creators of the show cited the A-Team as one of their inspirations. It's such a fun show because they always outsmart the bad guys. They are a bit more cerebral and less physical than the guys. In one episode, Nate actually says, "I love it when a plan comes together." :)

LittleMonkeyDog
11-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Haven't heard of this show, but maybe I should check it out sometime.

Ludlum'sDaughter14
11-22-2016, 04:27 PM
I LOVE Leverage! Easily the most similar modern day show to the A-Team. I started watching them on syndication, but I've seen almost all of them now... it's on ION and they pretty much run it all day on Sundays. I'm actually not a big fan of Sophie, so I saw the Face more in the Hardisan, smart-alecky character... I think his skills (breaking and entering, lock picking, etc) would translate well today to hacking. So in my mind, if Leverage was like a "next generation" A-Team, Face's kid would be Hardisan with Sophie's grifting skills (obviously going with personality and not looks). I saw all the rest aligning as you described. In fact if I wrote the screenplay for the next gen show, I'd cast the girl who plays Parker as Murdock's daughter. She plays the crazy but loveable thing really well and the cat burglar thing suits her (also she's tall and thin like Dwight)... only in my show she'd be a pilot too.

I liked the first season a lot when they worked out of an Irish bar in Boston. I could be biased, as an Irish girl from MA. ;)

The creators of the show cited the A-Team as one of their inspirations. It's such a fun show because they always outsmart the bad guys. They are a bit more cerebral and less physical than the guys. In one episode, Nate actually says, "I love it when a plan comes together." :)

Yay! So excited you're a fellow Leverage fan. :) I didn't actually care for Sophie either, especially since she and Nate had absolutely no chemistry even though the show kept trying to convince us they did... :p I can see your point with merging her and Hardison for a Face character. He also makes a lot of pop culture references (hooray for sci-fi) which is similar to Face. And yes, the actress who plays Parker could totally be Murdock's daughter. She's so unintentionally adorable... The jury episode is one of my favorites.

High five from a fellow (part-)Irish girl too! :D

That's so cool they said the A-Team partially inspired Leverage. I didn't know that. I think I saw that episode where Nate quotes Hannibal, but it's been a while. The fast-paced, subtly clever dialogue and dependence on technology for solutions fit with the more modern and slightly less "macho" culture of recent times - although I wouldn't say it was a "feminist" show either. Women were part of the team, but they acted as women instead of taking masculine roles, and Parker's character showed legitimate disregard of stereotypes from either side. Eliot and Hardison had the love/hate relationship a hit man and a computer geek could be expected to have. I think Sophie's interactions with Nate were the only thing that showed outright feminism, especially through Season 2 or so (stop trying to force the man to talk about his feelings!), although it could be argued Sophie as a character simply demonstrated what happens when a woman tries to make a man respond the way she wants him to instead of according to his personality. The fact that he did eventually change for her was a poor choice on the writers' part I think.

Wow, that turned into a bit of a rant. :)) Nothing against the term "feminism" if used to describe viewing women and men as equals, but I can't agree with "feminists" who believe men are inferior to women. End rant. For now. ;)

Ludlum'sDaughter14
11-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Haven't heard of this show, but maybe I should check it out sometime.

I think you'd enjoy it. :)

Flygirl
11-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Yes, you should watch it LMD! It's a really fun show. You do get into the characters and their relationships with each other.

LD - I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't buy the Nate/Sophie relationship. Otherwise it was a very clever and well-written show! I loved all the characters but Sophie. I didn't care for her character from the start. And honestly I just didn't think the actress playing her was that good. Although now that you mention it, maybe it was how overbearing that character was. Nate was a seriously flawed character but he was the leader and the others followed him loyally. The team seriously needed a Faceman.

I could be biased. ;)

Ludlum'sDaughter14
11-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Yes, you should watch it LMD! It's a really fun show. You do get into the characters and their relationships with each other.

LD - I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't buy the Nate/Sophie relationship. Otherwise it was a very clever and well-written show! I loved all the characters but Sophie. I didn't care for her character from the start. And honestly I just didn't think the actress playing her was that good. Although now that you mention it, maybe it was how overbearing that character was. Nate was a seriously flawed character but he was the leader and the others followed him loyally. The team seriously needed a Faceman.

I could be biased. ;)

I think you're right, with or without the bias haha.