LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #101
Flygirl
Erin

Default Re: Food substitutions for newbies

I'm now addicted to Bob's Red Mill Muesli for breakfast. Just covered with unsweetened almond milk (the raisins give it enough sweetness) and sit it in the fridge for 15 minutes or until all the almond milk soaks in to the oats. It's my new favorite breakfast!

I'm at the airport again. Peet's Coffee and Tea has a simple oatmeal with flax seed (you have to ask for it plain!) Not crazy about their coffee, but it's the only restaurant in the concourse that has anything even remotely resembling MB food. Spending the week at a conference in Dallas. The hotel I'm staying at is located among 6-7 steak restaurants which seem to be famous for steaks as big as your face! I'll see what I can do about healthy eating... lol... don't mess with Texas!! LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #102
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too.
Not sure he will get to enjoy it that much since it is a very work related trip and a very busy one with lots and lots of meetings. He'll be on campus most of the time.

He's been to Texas several times now and he likes it a whole lot (and so do I and I've only visited once). I so want to go back one day ...
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #103
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
I'm now addicted to Bob's Red Mill Muesli for breakfast. Just covered with unsweetened almond milk (the raisins give it enough sweetness) and sit it in the fridge for 15 minutes or until all the almond milk soaks in to the oats. It's my new favorite breakfast!

I'm at the airport again. Peet's Coffee and Tea has a simple oatmeal with flax seed (you have to ask for it plain!) Not crazy about their coffee, but it's the only restaurant in the concourse that has anything even remotely resembling MB food. Spending the week at a conference in Dallas. The hotel I'm staying at is located among 6-7 steak restaurants which seem to be famous for steaks as big as your face! I'll see what I can do about healthy eating... lol... don't mess with Texas!! LMD, you'll have to let me know how hubby enjoys his trip, too.
I see a need for more mb options....
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #104
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I see a need for more mb options....
Man, where's that knowing-eyebrow-wiggle emoji when you need one?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #105
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I really want to try this now.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 05-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #106
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Man, where's that knowing-eyebrow-wiggle emoji when you need one?
I'm working on it. Tax season is over (for two months) but a girl needs some me-time. You could always bug, I mean ask someone else...
Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #107
Flygirl
Erin

Swanky restaurants always put "basmati rice" on the menu... and it's very rarely BROWN basmati rice...

On a similar note... The other night I went for sushi and asked if they could prepare it with brown rice... I've had mixed results with this request. My regular (locally owned) sushi joint will do it without batting an eye, while others have looked at me like I'm crazy. (The waiter at PF Chang's informed me it could not be done, because white rice is stickier. I suggested sushi rice is stickier because of how it's prepared. He argued with me but eventually asked the kitchen to make it and they did comply...) Anyhoo... where was I? Oh okay. So I asked for brown rice, and the waiter said, "we don't have brown rice, but all our sushi is made with black rice, which is higher in nutrients and antioxidants. Intrigued, I ordered it and checked it out online. The interwebz suggest black rice is similar to brown in that the hull is not removed so it retains most of its nutritional value.. it's very high in antioxidants and the only drawback I found is if it's not properly washed it can have high levels of arsenic (!!!)...

Anyone have experience with/ feedback/ suggestions/ strong convictions wrt black rice? It's kind of purplish looking, actually, not black. Once it's cooked. Not bad as far as flavor is concerned. Not sure how expensive it is in the grocery store.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #108
Flygirl
Erin

I'm currently addicted to Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain english muffins.

Michele turned me on to the Ezekiel brand a while back. Thanks, Michele!

I have to admit, these are the first and only ones I've tried - but they do have several kinds. They are very dense and filling, so just one will keep me going from breakfast to a late lunch. Pairs well with Bancha tea!

Here's the link to their website (Food for Life Baking Co.) if anyone's interested:
https://www.foodforlife.com/

Happy Friday!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #109
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Swanky restaurants always put "basmati rice" on the menu... and it's very rarely BROWN basmati rice...

On a similar note... The other night I went for sushi and asked if they could prepare it with brown rice... I've had mixed results with this request. My regular (locally owned) sushi joint will do it without batting an eye, while others have looked at me like I'm crazy. (The waiter at PF Chang's informed me it could not be done, because white rice is stickier. I suggested sushi rice is stickier because of how it's prepared. He argued with me but eventually asked the kitchen to make it and they did comply...) Anyhoo... where was I? Oh okay. So I asked for brown rice, and the waiter said, "we don't have brown rice, but all our sushi is made with black rice, which is higher in nutrients and antioxidants. Intrigued, I ordered it and checked it out online. The interwebz suggest black rice is similar to brown in that the hull is not removed so it retains most of its nutritional value.. it's very high in antioxidants and the only drawback I found is if it's not properly washed it can have high levels of arsenic (!!!)...

Anyone have experience with/ feedback/ suggestions/ strong convictions wrt black rice? It's kind of purplish looking, actually, not black. Once it's cooked. Not bad as far as flavor is concerned. Not sure how expensive it is in the grocery store.
We found some at Natural Grocers in Missouri.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #110
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
We found some at Natural Grocers in Missouri.
Oh yeah - did you wind up buying anything at NG?

I'm trying to remember the conversation we had with Dirk about black rice. He'd tried it before - overseas, I think - and he indicated it was just as beneficial as brown rice (because they don't process it and remove the hull).

I'm going to buy some online for making sushi. Let you all know how that works out!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #111
Flygirl
Erin

Has anyone tried these?? They're really good.

I travel a lot for work (and by a lot, I mean a LOT)... and Delta Airlines now has a variety of snack boxes you can purchase - one of which is called the "Tapas" box, and is very MB-friendly. That's how I found them. Nice to see some of the airline food getting healthier. Of course there's still a snack box with cheeses, chips and cookies for the non-dieting crowd.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #112
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Oh yeah - did you wind up buying anything at NG?

I'm trying to remember the conversation we had with Dirk about black rice. He'd tried it before - overseas, I think - and he indicated it was just as beneficial as brown rice (because they don't process it and remove the hull).

I'm going to buy some online for making sushi. Let you all know how that works out!
Yes, please. I've never had black rice before.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #113
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:

I travel a lot for work (and by a lot, I mean a LOT)... and Delta Airlines now has a variety of snack boxes you can purchase - one of which is called the "Tapas" box, and is very MB-friendly. That's how I found them. Nice to see some of the airline food getting healthier. Of course there's still a snack box with cheeses, chips and cookies for the non-dieting crowd.
I hope this will inspire other airlines as well to serve more healthy food.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #114
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Yes, please. I've never had black rice before.
Or you could just be patient.

Yes, I did stop at natural grocers on my way out of town. Bought some items that I want to try. If I like, then I will see if I can order them.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #115
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:

Yes! Walmart actually sells these and I love them.
- Brian Greene
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #116
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Or you could just be patient.

Yes, I did stop at natural grocers on my way out of town. Bought some items that I want to try. If I like, then I will see if I can order them.
Keep us posted... literally.

(I know, I know, that was sad )
- Brian Greene
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #117
MRDENNIS916
The Cat's Butler

Quote:
I'm working on it. Tax season is over (for two months) but a girl needs some me-time. You could always bug, I mean ask someone else...
I wonder how "taxing" it would be, mein Fraulein, err how much "me time" you need to eat "bugs" like Angelina Jolie.

Btw, an eatery in/near Downtown Sacramento has chocolate covered crickets. I wonder how Dirk or his nutritionist would rate Chinese scorpions on a stick or air fried maggots and mealy worms.
MRDENNIS916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #118
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 View Post
I wonder how "taxing" it would be, mein Fraulein, err how much "me time" you need to eat "bugs" like Angelina Jolie.

Btw, an eatery in/near Downtown Sacramento has chocolate covered crickets. I wonder how Dirk or his nutritionist would rate Chinese scorpions on a stick or air fried maggots and mealy worms.
I don't know that I can answer this. If it's a choice between income taxes or the bugs, you might have a shot at getting me to eat the bugs. Then again, after being through an IRS audit, I just might take my chances with the auditors. I aced my tax classes; I just don't like income taxes. My own are plenty.

If it's a choice between payroll taxes and the bugs, i definitely choose payroll taxes. They are much more fun.

However, I might needs lots and lots of water either way.

Haben Sie crickets gegessen? Schmeckt es gut?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #119
Flygirl
Erin

Folks, I’ve made an important life decision. I’m going to bite the bullet and try Daiya cheese. Cheeseless cheese. Perfidious yellow substance masquerading as cheese. As a cheese lover, I feel I will be sorely disappointed, but we’ll see. I felt the need to share with you all. If I like it, I shall subsequently post a review.

If not, it’s all Michele’s fault...