LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Flygirl
Erin

Red face Food substitutions for newbies

As I'm transitioning to MB, I'm trying to replace my favorite not-so-natural foods with equally delicious ones. I'm having some successes and failures I thought I'd share here... I have a lot more I haven't tried yet so I'll update as I go along. Tomorrow I'm making organic wheat English muffins with a non-dairy butter spread for breakfast, and black bean burgers with sprouts for lunch. For dinner I'm trying a veggie stir-fry with brown rice and tamari.

Failure - Oat crackers in lieu of cracker crackers. The oat crackers aren't too bad in terms of flavor (I like oats), but lack the consistency I want in a cracker. I'm sticking to my triscuits and plain roasted almonds for crunchy snacks. Will try some of Ojai's suggestions next.

Success - Almond milk for moo cow milk. I was surprised to find that organic almond milk is really good in cereal! I suspect it will also make a nice replacement for creamer in my coffee.

Success - One of my staple breakfasts is honey bunches of oats with almonds with 2% milk. Today I substituted organic crunchy bran cereal with almond milk and some sliced almonds on top, and it was just as good if not better...
Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Re: Food substitutions for newbies

I've become a huge fan of almond milk myself instead of moo cow milk
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I've become a huge fan of almond milk myself instead of moo cow milk
I really like it! Didn't think I would.

There's a millet & brown rice ramen noodle that is quite good (and not too salty - most ramen is too salty for me). Lotus Foods. https://www.lotusfoods.com/

Have you tried this? My highest priorities for lunch food are fast and easy, and this meets both criteria. 4 minutes total cook time.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Flygirl
Erin

I got some dandelion root tea and I really like it! It has a great, natural flavor.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I got some dandelion root tea and I really like it! It has a great, natural flavor.

The first time I drank it I couldn't believe how good it was. Because it has no caffeine I can drink it in the early evening without staying awake all night.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
ojai22

I make my own almond milk in a Vitamix. Awhile back 29 people got sick on some almond milk from CostCo. Instead of looking for the culprit and going after them, a law was passed that all almonds in the US had to be pasteurized. Using either a gas or water. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Markets say they use water as gas will leave a residue.

Now, the strange thing is the almond growers tried to stretch the law to include all almonds that are imported, but it didn't work. So of course many folks now buy only imported almonds from other countries. I saw 2 lbs on sale at amazon for $28. Not only were people buying them but were glad to get them. I tried to post about a place I knew but they wouldn't accept it till I changed it, not mentioning Bremner Farms.

The law they passed is weird - if you grow almonds and sell directly to the public, you can sell 100 lbs. a day to any one person. Bremner Farms in California grow organic almonds and will sell directly to you. As the drought got worse their prices went up about $3 a lb but was still better than buying imported. Here's their website:

https://www.organicalmondsraw.com/

Makes terrific almond milk.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Have you tried almond milk as a coffee creamer yet, fg?

If you haven't, I suggest you don't try it in a full cup of coffee...

You might like it, sure. But my Mrs. sure doesn't...

I don't, either, but I'm not all that crazy about the taste of coffee, either.

I love almond milk on my oatmeal, and on my granola (we don't buy commercially-produced cereals - I think I've mentioned that), and we've found it's an excellent substitute for dairy in a white sauce, too (which is the base for a lot of different things, including her home-made cream of mushroom soup). It doesn't taste exactly like a "milk sauce," but then we use whole wheat flower when we make the roux, so the almond milk just continues the slightly nuttier flavor of the sauce...

We buy Califia brand unsweetened. There was some controversy with it because they used carrageenan (a known inflammatory) as a thickening agent, but they stopped using it some time ago.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
Have you tried almond milk as a coffee creamer yet, fg?

If you haven't, I suggest you don't try it in a full cup of coffee...

You might like it, sure. But my Mrs. sure doesn't...
Oh, John, your timing! LOL... Tell your wife I'm with her. I put some of it in my coffee and it really wasn't a good idea. In addition to the strange aftertaste, it sort of congealed into little flakes. It does not have the same physical properties as half & half. I do like it in my cereal though. I'll look for the Califia brand...

My husband made gumbo yesterday and he convinced me to let him leave in the chicken (it contains chicken broth anyway), and I convinced him to use brown rice instead of white. So a little bit of compromise. I didn't eat a lot of the chicken, mostly shrimp. So it wasn't *that* bad. I have to pacify myself with something now that I can't eat red meat anymore. I'm dreaming about ribeye steaks at night. It's possible I'm out hunting coyotes in my sleep. (Ever see the movie "Madagascar"? Alex the lion in the wild, when he starts hallucinating... That's me right now.)

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
The first time I drank it I couldn't believe how good it was. Because it has no caffeine I can drink it in the early evening without staying awake all night.
Ojai, I actually think this is my new favorite. It still has that nice, natural flavor of a root tea but it's stronger than the others and I like the aftertaste. I wonder though about the warnings on the box. My tea is "organic roasted dandelion root". The warning says not to drink it while pregnant and to consult a doctor if you have gallbladder problems, etc. I don't have any of these things but it's disconcerting. It also says "up to 3 cups daily". Are all these markings necessary because some people use it for medicinal purposes, or is there something more sinister about dandelions?

P.S. I love your new title. "Den Mother". Very true!
Head Nurse - Psychiatry Ward could have been appropriate too.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Oh, John, your timing! LOL... Tell your wife I'm with her. I put some of it in my coffee and it really wasn't a good idea. In addition to the strange aftertaste, it sort of congealed into little flakes. It does not have the same physical properties as half & half. I do like it in my cereal though. I'll look for the Califia brand...

My husband made gumbo yesterday and he convinced me to let him leave in the chicken (it contains chicken broth anyway), and I convinced him to use brown rice instead of white. So a little bit of compromise. I didn't eat a lot of the chicken, mostly shrimp. So it wasn't *that* bad. I have to pacify myself with something now that I can't eat red meat anymore. I'm dreaming about ribeye steaks at night. It's possible I'm out hunting coyotes in my sleep. (Ever see the movie "Madagascar"? Alex the lion in the wild, when he starts hallucinating... That's me right now.)
I don't like 'milk' in my coffee anyway.

OMG. LOL Alex and his hallucination. I loved that.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Ojai, I actually think this is my new favorite. It still has that nice, natural flavor of a root tea but it's stronger than the others and I like the aftertaste. I wonder though about the warnings on the box. My tea is "organic roasted dandelion root". The warning says not to drink it while pregnant and to consult a doctor if you have gallbladder problems, etc. I don't have any of these things but it's disconcerting. It also says "up to 3 cups daily". Are all these markings necessary because some people use it for medicinal purposes, or is there something more sinister about dandelions?

Okay, now you have me worried too.
I wonder what could have made us insane ... a hopeless addiction to a certain someone maybe
Old 01-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
ojai22

I think in part the warning is about being allergic to dandelion. Also, there's a more serious side - if you are taking a blood-thinner, or lithium for a bipolar problem you need to talk with your doctor.

Here are two links that give some info:

Dandelion tea

https://www.livestrong.com/article/21...dandelion-tea/

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...redientid=706&

I don't drink dandelion tea everyday and when I do I seldom have more than one cup. I use it as a treat. My main tea is from Jason Winters. It has been proven to purify the blood, but I drank it before I knew much of what it does. Good stuff.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

Califia isn't homemade - they also have a range of other products, like cold-brewed coffees - so watch which bottle you grab. It's available at several of our local stores, so Whole Foods and if you've got a Kroger-owned store you might find it there.

Go Steelers...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Califia isn't homemade - they also have a range of other products, like cold-brewed coffees - so watch which bottle you grab. It's available at several of our local stores, so Whole Foods and if you've got a Kroger-owned store you might find it there.

Go Steelers...

I should not have rooted for anybody today. Neither of the teams I was pulling for stood a snowball's chance today.

Go Falcons!

Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
ojai22

Quote:

When I left here years ago it read Senior Member. When I returned and was able to login it read Dear Friend. i assumed John did it because I surely didn't. I couldn't find the place to change it so it stayed there for a few years. Then in a recent post I said I'm not a Dirkette, more like a Den Mother. Then the DM thing appeared to keep Dear Friend company. There are gremlins in attendance here.

Well, a friend told me where to look to change it, and I had looked but now looked closer. And there it was, the faintest yellow writing which I copy/pasted onto TextEdit and there they were, hiding behind yellow print on my very weak computer.

So, I finally was able to remove Dear Friend but decided to leave the Den Mother thing for the time being.

I was supposed to go get my new computer today. I've spent some time on the phone with Apple deciding exactly what I wanted. But, after a ten year man-made drought, the heavens have opened and we are being flooded. Rained this entire blessed day. Mostly hard. Water is flowing over pools, streets are covered with water and so are people's lawns. Accidents are many. It's a day to stay home, sitting in from of the fire in a comfy rocking chair, with a good book and a cup of tea.

Happy Sunday to all…..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I should not have rooted for anybody today. Neither of the teams I was pulling for stood a snowball's chance today.

Go Falcons!

Haha! Come on, you don't care about either team, so be a sport and root for the Pats. You know, just to see the look on Roger Goodell's face?

For me??! ❤️

The Dirkettes are backing the winning team. Just sayin.

Last edited by Flygirl; 01-22-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #17
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:

Go Steelers...

We have a Fry's here - that's Kroger owned. They just opened a huge new one in my neighborhood. Been building it for months. It's got the gas station, covered parking (with over 2700 solar panels!)... it's got a full craft beer/growler bar, a mini cooking school, sushi bar and deli, even clothing and electronics... we were SO excited just to go in and look around. You know you're not a kid anymore when the highlight of your month is a supermarket opening...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #18
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
We have a Fry's here - that's Kroger owned. They just opened a huge new one in my neighborhood. Been building it for months. It's got the gas station, covered parking (with over 2700 solar panels!)... it's got a full craft beer/growler bar, a mini cooking school, sushi bar and deli, even clothing and electronics... we were SO excited just to go in and look around. You know you're not a kid anymore when the highlight of your month is a supermarket opening...
So much excitement. Are you sure you can handle it?

Wonder what the mood will be like for my after-Christmas party at Lambeau Field. I'm assuming we no longer need recon done and I can just be myself?
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #19
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:

When I left here years ago it read Senior Member. When I returned and was able to login it read Dear Friend. i assumed John did it because I surely didn't. I couldn't find the place to change it so it stayed there for a few years. Then in a recent post I said I'm not a Dirkette, more like a Den Mother. Then the DM thing appeared to keep Dear Friend company. There are gremlins in attendance here.

Well, a friend told me where to look to change it, and I had looked but now looked closer. And there it was, the faintest yellow writing which I copy/pasted onto TextEdit and there they were, hiding behind yellow print on my very weak computer.

So, I finally was able to remove Dear Friend but decided to leave the Den Mother thing for the time being.

I was supposed to go get my new computer today. I've spent some time on the phone with Apple deciding exactly what I wanted. But, after a ten year man-made drought, the heavens have opened and we are being flooded. Rained this entire blessed day. Mostly hard. Water is flowing over pools, streets are covered with water and so are people's lawns. Accidents are many. It's a day to stay home, sitting in from of the fire in a comfy rocking chair, with a good book and a cup of tea.

Happy Sunday to all…..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
So much excitement. Are you sure you can handle it?

Wonder what the mood will be like for my after-Christmas party at Lambeau Field. I'm assuming we no longer need recon done and I can just be myself?
Lol... that's right! - you're off the hook. Unless you want to take your spy camera down to Atlanta.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #21
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Lol... that's right! - you're off the hook. Unless you want to take your spy camera down to Atlanta.
Sorry. That might be too hard to explain at work.....unless I can tell them I'm checking out our Atlanta plant. Hmm....

Besides, now I have snow to deal with again. Sigh. Never ending.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
Flygirl
Erin

Folks, what's the deal with whole grain breads/muffins/pastas etc.? I know grains have to be processed to some extent to wind up as a supermarket product. How is it that a lot of breads and pastas on the supermarket shelves are labeled "whole grain" - which, by definition, means NOT - even partially - processed?

To get down to specifics... does my organic, "whole grain" English muffin count toward the 30-40% whole grain allocation, or just the 5% allotted to breads and pastas?
Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #23
ojai22

Quote:
Folks, what's the deal with whole grain breads/muffins/pastas etc.? I know grains have to be processed to some extent to wind up as a supermarket product. How is it that a lot of breads and pastas on the supermarket shelves are labeled "whole grain" - which, by definition, means NOT - even partially - processed?

To get down to specifics... does my organic, "whole grain" English muffin count toward the 30-40% whole grain allocation, or just the 5% allotted to breads and pastas?

Flyngirl, when it says "whole grain" that doesn't mean they haven't processed everything good out of it. If it's processed, then it's full of chemicals, unless you look for an artisan bread or perhaps one of the small loaves in the refrigerated section.

I sometimes buy bread from the Grindstone Bakery near San Francisco. I get gluten-free but they have the other kind, too. They grind the flour on the premises using the stone ground method and bake it right away. That's the problem with bread. Once grain is ground it starts to lose the good stuff immediately. And the grinders the regular breadmakers use attains high heat as the flour is being ground. That destroys all the good stuff immediately. Before it even gets to be bread. Then they shoot in some chemicals and say it's "whole grain and healthy."

Grindstone Bakery uses slow grinding, bakes the bread and sends it out on 2 day delivery. You have to buy 4 loaves at a time, but they can be sliced and frozen. Their website is grindstonebakery.com.

You might look into the artisan breads baked locally.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #24
ojai22

I forgot to say all of the bread that has been processed to death also contains a lot of sugar. Sometimes in different forms so you're getting more sugar than you realize. Bread that rises without added yeast is the best kind. You don't need any sugar to feed the yeast when it rises naturally.

Check out the Grindstone Bakery. Read their ingredients.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #25
ojai22

Quote:
I forgot to say all of the bread that has been processed to death also contains a lot of sugar. Sometimes in different forms so you're getting more sugar than you realize. Bread that rises without added yeast is the best kind. You don't need any sugar to feed the yeast when it rises naturally.

Check out the Grindstone Bakery. Read their ingredients.

EDIT: Try this post:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...2&postcount=50