LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:56 AM   #1
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Question Started Reading Dirk's First Book

I have both of Dirk's books, and will also read the third. I had to take a break, and I haven't even started Part One yet. I'm going through some stuff, and I can't stop crying as I read. I knew I'd cry, just not so much. It's not the book that has me so upset, but just circumstances in my life, and regrets.

I want to change my diet to macrobiotics, and I wish I did it long ago. I'm obese, and I wonder if the diet can help me psychologically, but I don't want to go into that right now. What I'd give to start over, knowing what I know now.

Has anyone dealt with mental issues and changed to the macrobiotic lifestyle? Did you see any improvement? Thank you if you will share.
Sassy Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
WelshPoppy30

Default Re: Started Reading Dirk's First Book

Hi sassy devil
I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through right now, and I hope I can give some sort of comfort to you in the sense that I know it sounds cliché but you're not alone in how you feel and you are clearly someone who is not just feeling "down".
The way you're saying how you feel resonates with me. Like you I won't get in to it too much but I have been open about a disorder that I have lived with for the last 20 years and I have explained that although complex there are many factors that can cause my "triggers" including how I feel mentally and that I believe diet also plays a big part.
Even though I have been gradually changing the way I eat, and I believe in the principles, I am not macrobiotic and I am nearing a stage that is right for me at the moment and I feel better for it.
Macrobiotics is not just a diet it's a lifestyle and any change in life and to get in a good habit with it takes time and patience.
I only know the basics really about this but from what I know and I hope I am right in saying that you live macrobiotics in the way that is right for you.
Even though Mr Benedict practically jumped right in to living this lifestyle even he recommends you start off gradually.
You will also find with this lifestyle your body will shed excess that has built up over the time. There will be many ups and downs but you will start to balance out and once you have read his book I'm sure you will feel inspired and I believe you are already starting on the right path by saying you want to change and you will never stop learning, and it's also about "letting go".
I truly wish you well on this journey and please keep us updated and also refer to the macrobiotic threads as I'm sure they will also be of great help to you, everyone is so supportive here

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 09-24-2018 at 06:30 AM..
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

WelshPoppy30, thank you. I am trying. I'm just in a situation that I don't know how to get out of, but there are a lot of people who tell me what they think should work for me, but they don't know what it's like for me.
Sassy Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
WelshPoppy30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Devil View Post
WelshPoppy30, thank you. I am trying. I'm just in a situation that I don't know how to get out of, but there are a lot of people who tell me what they think should work for me, but they don't know what it's like for me.
Sassy, no problem at all, I understand that you're feeling stuck atm.
At the end of the day, whichever way you dive in to the macrobiotic lifestyle be it both feet or a bit at a time, that is what is right for you.

I found this post too that I think is very helpful especially when feeling stuck it focuses on looking at the positives regardless how small and working with that. I don't know if you have read it but here is the link....https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...ead.php?t=1558
I hope you also find it helpful

P.S hope you're enjoying reading CKC

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Cassiebsg

Remember that what works for someone else, might not be what works for you.
With that in mind, I find that if I can avoid being hungry, I can avoid most food "temptations". Good advice: Never go shopping hungry! I find that if I do, I always end up grabbing some junk, like a chocolate bar, a pack of cookies or something else in this line. However if I'm not hungry, I can get past the aisle and feel happy to not have the urge to grab "something".

Just find what works for you! You can also use a turn in your life (like something that would consider down/bad) and make it a positive turn. I've lost 10kg in the last +/-2 month just by taking my "negative even" (loosing my job) and turning into a positive event by just being focused on the positive. So I set my goal to "get my weight under 100kg" (no time frame). And took me a month to do it! My next target is to get under 90 by x-mas... But I've slowed down, so I probably won't reach it. But I'll focus on the positive side ... as long as my weight doesn't go up and slowly is either stable or going down, it's fine.

So find your focus. Don't be hungry, and do it one step at a time. Find what works for you!
And good luck!

Last edited by Cassiebsg; 10-14-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Cassiebsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I've been off the forum for a little while, but spontaneously decided to come catch up a bit this evening. And can I say that this thread is really encouraging to me? You all are approaching this the right way - just doing what you can where you are, and working around the setbacks you can't overcome, not letting them stop you in your tracks.

I've struggled a lot with depression and anxiety, and these past few months it's been a real challenge to keep my head above water while trying to hunt for a job and seemingly getting nowhere, in addition to other issues with my current situation. But when I've been really down, sometimes the best thing to help has been to get myself up and go to the kitchen and make something. It could be really small, like throwing together a simple salad or cooking rice, but just reminding myself that even in all the circumstances I can't control, there is something I *can* do to make my life better and enjoy it more, helps me feel more at peace with where I'm at.

And yes, don't listen to the people who think they know the one solution that would make everything work for you. Life is complicated, and many of the people who say, "Well why don't you just ___?" don't actually care about taking the time to understand what you're dealing with; in effect, they're saying, "What is wrong with you that you haven't gotten it together already?" That kind of criticism is hurtful and unrealistic, and I've heard it quite a bit too from people close to me. Your journey is going to be different from everyone else's, and the combination of obstacles you deal with is unique to you, just like others have their own special set.

Don't beat yourself up about what you can't do right now. I've been there too, and it's not fair to yourself and keeps you from moving forward. I've had to give up some of my more drastic goals for the moment because life isn't letting me follow through right now. But I'm doing the best I can with what I can do. You're doing the best you can with your life and your circumstances. It's okay that we can't get everything just perfect - perfection means you don't need to grow any more, and life is all about growing. There are no perfect people walking the earth right now, but there are people who've stopped growing. The important thing is that you don't stop.

You can do this. I know it.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

LD14, you've once again explained it beautifully and accurately. The small steps you take to improve your life and make it more enjoyable can make a huge difference in the end. I also agree that you're all approaching this the right way.

A huge inbalance in my life - a severe burn out - had me look at life from a totally different angle and perspective. And I learned that the small accomplishes I was able to make at the time, helped me to find peace once again.

If I've learned anything throughout this journey so far, it's that there is no such thing as perfection. I agree once again with LD14's post: we need to grow all the time.
It might not seem easy to pull off every day, but I'm positive that you will find the will power and the strength.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
WelshPoppy30

I absolutely agree with LMD....LD14, your post is so lovely and I just wanted to say that your words are also very encouraging and can absolutely empathise with your situation and I truly hope something comes around for you very soon.
I'm so sorry to read LMD that you have had to go through that yourself.

Unfortunately we're still living in a society where there is a lot of ignorance regarding depression and anxiety. It can already feel like a dark lonely place and can be too difficult to explain sometimes without being being told by someone who doesn't understand from my own experience to "just get over it" or being told they don't have the "time" to be depressed (like it's a choice!), and whichever way you look at that comment....its still not a very tactful thing to say, and believe it or not even a doctor years ago when I was 17 said I was too young to have depression, but having those times when you feel like your mind is racing and can't sleep to days of being in a complete fog and sometimes it interchanging within hours, medicated or not, I am so grateful for the days I feel myself, and eating right as much as possible for me plays a big part in that.

I had to put a hobby of mine on the back burner (I'm surprised it's not burnt to a crisp lol) these last 10 years, but I'm looking to get back into it, I'm scared but I know I need to give myself that last push because the love I have for it has never left me.

The fact is no matter what, even on bad days, and you open your eyes in the morning or whatever time of day you are waking up, take it a stage at a time even if you got work, because you ARE getting on with it, just in the best way YOU can and that's okay

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)
Old 10-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshPoppy30 View Post

Unfortunately we're still living in a society where there is a lot of ignorance regarding depression and anxiety. It can already feel like a dark lonely place and can be too difficult to explain sometimes without being being told by someone who doesn't understand from my own experience to "just get over it" or being told they don't have the "time" to be depressed (like it's a choice!), and whichever way you look at that comment....its still not a very tactful thing to say, and believe it or not even a doctor years ago when I was 17 said I was too young to have depression, but having those times when you feel like your mind is racing and can't sleep to days of being in a complete fog and sometimes it interchanging within hours, medicated or not, I am so grateful for the days I feel myself, and eating right as much as possible for me plays a big part in that.
You're right, WelshPoppy, and it shouldn't have to be that way. I too know what it's like to have someone tell you to 'just get over it' or 'stop pretending' or people tell you you're just lazy and that's why you claim to be burned out. In mutual agreement with my doctor, I wasn't on any medication whatsoever, but he coached me throughout this period because we both knew that's all I needed (lots of rest and coaching and a break from a bad situation I was in). Yeah ... some people just aren't tactful at all.

I'm glad you're on the right track and happy to read you're picking up your hobby again. Nice !!! We all need to take it one step at a time.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
WelshPoppy30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
You're right, WelshPoppy, and it shouldn't have to be that way. I too know what it's like to have someone tell you to 'just get over it' or 'stop pretending' or people tell you you're just lazy and that's why you claim to be burned out. In mutual agreement with my doctor, I wasn't on any medication whatsoever, but he coached me throughout this period because we both knew that's all I needed (lots of rest and coaching and a break from a bad situation I was in). Yeah ... some people just aren't tactful at all.

I'm glad you're on the right track and happy to read you're picking up your hobby again. Nice !!! We all need to take it one step at a time.

LMD, thank you the hobby I have been away from for so long is dancing, my lack of confidence is still kind of preventing me from going back to a class but that's something I'm working through, but as suggested as with anything, I am taking a step at a time (no pun intended lol)

I'm sorry that you have had to deal with such ignorance. It's not laziness at all, it takes a lot of hard work mentally to be able to function when feeling like that, and it certainly isn't pretending as anyone can go through it, people with illness go through it, sadly even children, and I'm so glad to know you have avoided medication and you have done what's right for you with your recovery from your burnout and hope it continues down that path for you

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-24-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Thank you for the encouraging words, LMD and WelshPoppy. It means a lot to know none of us are alone in dealing with these struggles.

So glad you're looking into dancing again, WelshPoppy! Learning a skill in a class setting can be very intimidating. But as you get to the place where you can do it, the reward will be worth it, and you will feel more confident in yourself because you overcame the challenge.

Actually, this reminds me of a video I saw yesterday about describing mental health using something called fork theory, which is based off of spoon theory. I thought it was interesting and helpful, so I'll share the link in case you want to take a look:

https://youtu.be/DyU-5P5ip4o
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
LittleMonkeyDog

A big thank you to you, LD14 and WelshPoppy. It does feel good to be able to share struggles like this with people that actually understand.

WelshPoppy, dancing !!! That's such an awesome hobby. I just absolutely love to dance. I usually dance around the house when I'm home. Also I agree - once again - with LD14. Taking classes can be a bit intimidating, but when finding the right spot you'll not only enjoy dancing but will also be proud of the accomplishment you made. (I'll let you in on a little secret: writing and posting my stories actually did the trick for me)

Oh and LD14, I'll take a look for sure. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #13
WelshPoppy30

LD14 thank you for the link I have watched it and I have never really heard of that theory before and it's very interesting.
Thank you for your kind words.
You are both absolutely right, it does feel intimidating the thought of going back to a class, I would love to be able to come back to this thread to say that I have finally done that, which I'm sure I will my partner has also been trying to encourage me to start up again.

LMD, yes I do exactly the same I love dancing at home to all music and I still remember a lot of what I learnt over the years and practice but I can't wear one pair of my shoes as they will be too loud for my neighbor who lives above me
What a great place you chose to start writing your stories

SassyDevil, how are you getting on reading CKC?....

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-27-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
LMD, thank you the hobby I have been away from for so long is dancing, my lack of confidence is still kind of preventing me from going back to a class but that's something I'm working through, but as suggested as with anything, I am taking a step at a time (no pun intended lol)

I'm sorry that you have had to deal with such ignorance. It's not laziness at all, it takes a lot of hard work mentally to be able to function when feeling like that, and it certainly isn't pretending as anyone can go through it, people with illness go through it, sadly even children, and I'm so glad to know you have avoided medication and you have done what's right for you with your recovery from your burnout and hope it continues down that path for you
If dancing is what you enjoy, i hope you can get back to it. Even if it's dancing in your own home.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
WelshPoppy30

Smile Re: Started Reading Dirk's First Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
If dancing is what you enjoy, i hope you can get back to it. Even if it's dancing in your own home.
Thank you VBS for your encouragement I do enjoy it, I'm loving listening to the music again (well any kind of music with the beat my feet are always tapping lol) and also watching my favourite shows which has always been my little bit of escapism especially at this time of year, it's like a little tradition for me I love it

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #16
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Thank you VBS for your encouragement I do enjoy it, I'm loving listening to the music again (well any kind of music with the beat my feet are always tapping lol) and also watching my favourite shows which has always been my little bit of escapism especially at this time of year, it's like a little tradition for me I love it
I love music. I just don't sing in public. Wish I had a voice that could carry a tune, but when I'm alone, I sing along to every song.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote