LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

Darrell, I hate the term "reverse racism", too. It is odd to me that some people actually have a mental block accepting that people of all colors have intrinsic bias. It is interesting because it's a super racist notion. The level of melanin in one's skin does not dictate cognitive processes. (Shockingly. LOL) One of the people in my professional group - in response to a very simple statement made by a colleague that racism goes both ways - had the following to say: "First, to refer to people in the African diaspora, please capitalize the 'B' in Black. In the 7th edition of the APA manual ... Secondly, the term 'racism' is defined by Merriam-Webster as "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race". For people of European descent, reverse racism is not a possibility due to upholding institutional power within the United States. Your comment "Racism goes both ways" falls under the category of Justification. If you or anyone else would like to unpack these implicit biases, please reach out to me." (This is the way folks speak to us on the forum when we try to have a give and take conversation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
But there are indeed some Government roadblocks in place regarding Native Americans. I know you'll say "Oh waa waa" or "cry me a river" etc LOL But they are there. Those problems *don't* come from the President (that I know of, anyways... meaning the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe stuff). They come from both the U.S. branch that is to see over Native American stuff *and* the tribes themselves.
Actually, I'm really interested in the current issues between government entities and Native Americans/tribes/land. It seems like it could be a pretty complex situation?

Wrt third parties - It almost seems like anyone running as a third party candidate has different motives for being there. They themselves don't think they will win. Rather, it's a career step to something else... Even Ross Perot, to a degree was more interested in having a podium for a short time than actually believing he would get there. Why didn't Bernie run third party when he was ousted by the DNC in 2016? Don't get me wrong, my politics are the polar opposite of the "Democratic Socialist" ideology... and probably yours, judging by our conversation. It could be that my calling you a "liberal" is just a matter of semantics. In my mind, all SJWs are far-left liberals, but not all liberals (particularly moderate liberals) are SJWs. Would you consider yourself an SJW?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #27
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Here's an idea to implement that - Do it at County level, then send those results to whoever needs them. And to help cover the mail-in aspects of voting, since it's by finger print, then whatever area you are in, you can vote there and just have it identified somehow that it's an absentee vote.
The only problem is, the more points of processing you have, the more opportunities for human or SW error. Personally, I think the tech is there and it just needs to be correctly implemented. People's trust is naturally behind the development of cyber-security, but we've made great strides in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
That's not a stupid idea at all. Hand held weapons have grips to hold the weapon. The finger print scanner can be installed right there.
Exactly! That was my thought...
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #28
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
That Website Tech Guy
Admin
 
Darrell Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Scorpia, 11th Colony
Posts: 337
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
The only problem is, the more points of processing you have, the more opportunities for human or SW error. Personally, I think the tech is there and it just needs to be correctly implemented. People's trust is naturally behind the development of cyber-security, but we've made great strides in recent years.
I don't think points of processing would be a problem - The person "logs in", via finger-print, votes, it's placed into the data-base AS THE VOTE HAPPENS. Any tampering of the database can be tracked/traced. It really isn't that much different than these forums we're posting on - They are database driven. As soon as you hit submit for your comment, it's in the database. Being the person that runs these forums behind the scenes, I can look at the database and track entries into it. Those entries leave behind a IP. The tech is there these days to track even a fake IP to it's original source. You can also see any changes made to it. After the votes, backups need to be made immediately. That way, a compromised database would be invalid because the backups would have the correct info.
__________________
"If not for the original Battlestar Galactica series, then there would be no new show."
"If not for the original ST series, then there would be no ST movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager or 'Enterprise'."
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #29
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,296
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
And what in the posts about Natives prompted that question?
Nothing particular. Just thinking about all the protests and inequalities in the world. As I said, I don't have an answer. I was hoping for some insight from others.
__________________
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.


"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #30
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,296
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
I don't think points of processing would be a problem - The person "logs in", via finger-print, votes, it's placed into the data-base AS THE VOTE HAPPENS. Any tampering of the database can be tracked/traced. It really isn't that much different than these forums we're posting on - They are database driven. As soon as you hit submit for your comment, it's in the database. Being the person that runs these forums behind the scenes, I can look at the database and track entries into it. Those entries leave behind a IP. The tech is there these days to track even a fake IP to it's original source. You can also see any changes made to it. After the votes, backups need to be made immediately. That way, a compromised database would be invalid because the backups would have the correct info.
Nice. Now, just to get this implemented....
__________________
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.


"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #31
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
That Website Tech Guy
Admin
 
Darrell Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Scorpia, 11th Colony
Posts: 337
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Nothing particular. Just thinking about all the protests and inequalities in the world. As I said, I don't have an answer. I was hoping for some insight from others.
It's gonna take a while for me to gather everything into one place LOL But I can write something up for you ladies.
__________________
"If not for the original Battlestar Galactica series, then there would be no new show."
"If not for the original ST series, then there would be no ST movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager or 'Enterprise'."
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #32
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Question Re: Current Events

Mini rant: People are tearing down statues of historical figures all over the world which, to them, represent a racist and bigoted history they would like to erase. (Today, it is Churchill, Lincoln and Ghandi. Yes, Lincoln... Yep, Ghandi...) Putting aside the concept of "those who don't know their history are condemned to repeat it" (though I do believe that's true) - Do you all think this behavior is actually furthering a cause for world peace, acceptance, harmony - or is it simply leading to more anger and division?

Beyond the desecration of statues, schools are teaching history differently too. Instead of teaching the facts about Winston Churchill and the war, they are teaching why we should not laud him as a leader, because Churchill was racist. Whether Churchill was racist or not is not my question... I am just wondering if we are doing the next generation a disservice by forcing subjective opinions of historical figures into a purportedly objective curriculum.

Thoughts?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #33
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

One more thought while I'm bored and waiting on hold. Here's the message from Zuckerberg on Facebook today:

Quote:
At Facebook, we stand against racism and discrimination of any kind. One of the ways we're working to build a more inclusive platform is by launching a new place on Facebook to amplify Black voices and inspire people to take action to advance racial justice.
I'm sorry, but isn't it a little hypocritical to make a statement that you are AGAINST racism and discrimination, and in the very next sentence, state that you are going to amplify only black voices?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #34
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,296
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Current Events

I don't disagree with you. If Facebook wants to promote equality, then ALL voices should be heard.

As far as the public figures / statues, if they don't want them out in the city, put them in a museum. As far as Lincoln, Churchill, and Ghandi, schools should be teaching facts. Like "in the time of Churchill, public opinion thought he was a great leader / speaker. In the current era, he is not portrayed that way because...." This lets the students decide how they want to think of those people. In elementary school, I would think that simple facts and figures are most beneficial to students. It would be in high school and beyond that more information could be provided and could spark great debates in these classes.
__________________
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.


"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #35
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I don't disagree with you. If Facebook wants to promote equality, then ALL voices should be heard.
This morning on Facebook I read a Boston Globe article about one of the hosts of my favorite local show being forced to resign over some Tweets he recently made “against Black Lives Matter”. It’s a restaurant show, and he tweeted a joke about how restaurants are supposed to open after looters broke in their windows, among other similarly benign statements.

About 90% of the comments either agreed with his being forced out, demanded his brother (the other host) should also be forced out, or stated it wasn’t enough and we should all boycott the show.

Then one commenter suggested we no longer really have first amendment rights. — Immediately another woman replied that the woman who said that should not be a teacher, and the rest of us should contact the school she works for and have her fired.

Edit/update: Here’s the CEO of Chik-Fil-A. After his restaurants burned to ground, boycotts, threats... He literally gets down on his knees and while shining a black man’s shoes, states, “White people should not condemn the destruction of property but rather empathize with the underlying frustration...” He’s AFRAID!
Is this for real?
Is this still America?

If you’re not frightened, you’re not paying attention.

Just wait until you have independent thoughts that don’t align with the hive mind.
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.

Last edited by Flygirl; 06-20-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #36
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin
 
John Pickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 1,601
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Current Events

I want to compliment you guys on how you've conversed on what is a very emotional and polarizing issue; we need a lot more considerate, open-minded, civil discourse where we can learn from one another, rather than the one-sided shouting and cursing that the media loves covering. And the fact this discussion is taking place on a celebrity website may be unusual, but since this is an issue that impacts everyone, it's not that inappropriate a venue.

I've been around for most of the Civil Rights movement. Listening to people like Dr. King - and the hate of his enemies - helped forge my own thinking on "race relations" and reinforced my belief that there are no separate races, we are one race - Human. Our differences are cultural and socioeconomic, not genetic.

And I've been around long enough to know that there are people of all hues that disagree with that. But that's another conversation.

I've been proud to say that I don't have a racist bone in my body. I truly don't care how your skin is pigmented, who your ancestors were or where they came from (or how recently), I don't care who you sleep with or marry; you treat me right, I'll treat you right. We're all individuals, unique, with our own strengths and weaknesses, and we'll get farther together than apart and at odds. So I've watched the worsening divisions in this nation and culture with growing sadness, knowing that the more they divide us, the less capable we are of overcoming those divisions.

But this most recent series of events has been eye-opening for me. I've come to realize my non-racist views are all well and good, but that I've been blind to the other half of the problem. What they're calling "systemic racism."

There is a disconnect some people experience when presented with that term. While some more radical pontificators will disagree, our systems are not built deliberately racist. In fact, since the 1940s and 50s, deliberate strides have been taken to make sure they're not. But we are learning that, for all our advancements, in practice, they still are. I blame partisan politics - the "divide and conquer" mentality - for a lot of that, but it's also something deeper, more insidious, that needs to be recognized and addressed, that really did start with the first European settlers on this continent.

And the murder of George Floyd was the catalyst for all this to come flooding into the general consciousness. Whether or not Floyd was a good man or a criminal is no longer relevant; he's become a symbol. His murder - and murder it was - was the last straw, and the tsunami of information that came after - as confusing as it may have been, like drinking from a fire hose - succeeded in shedding some light into the shadows.

There are too many parts to this entire issue to comprehend all at once - you guys have only touched on a few of the more visible subjects. But if we succeed in making this a world of true equal opportunity, then the discomfort will have been worth it.
__________________
See Dirk's appearance schedule here: Appearances

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #37
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin
 
John Pickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 1,601
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Current Events

And yes, I live up to my reputation as a thread-killer.
__________________
See Dirk's appearance schedule here: Appearances

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #38
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
And yes, I live up to my reputation as a thread-killer.
Haha! You are most definitely not a thread killer. That is my title...

Yes, this has been a pretty tame political discussion for the 2020 internet. (Or anywhere else, for that matter.)

I disagree with you on a systemic racism thing, John, but you know that. I would need to see pretty strong evidence of something so "systemic" that we need a new civil rights movement to combat it. Thousands die in Chicago, LA and Detroit and no one bats an eye because they can't neatly and directly blame it on the establishment - but a few cops a year harass or use excessive force on black people and we're suddenly dealing with a pervasive problem that only exists in law enforcement? I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing, sorry. I used to live near Baltimore and my husband and I had two friends in the BPD. They deserved combat pay, and medals, just for doing that job. (Oh, and one of them is black - I'm sure he's just loving this after everything he has seen...) Policing isn't perfect in America, and unions seem to cause some trouble; so sure, let's make some improvements. Do you really think that's going to stop the angry mobs? NYC just took $1B from police officers - away from law enforcement in NYC - let that sink in... and that still wasn't enough for these clowns.

BTW, you can't say you're not racist, John. That makes you racist. Always treating people all the same regardless of their skin color is racist; that's how I know I'm a racist! And all my conservative black friends are racists too. (Or Uncle Toms, or whatever. Ridiculous.) See, unless you are a modern American social justice warrior, we all have this implicit bias against people of color and there's nothing you can do but work hard to "unpack" your bias and recognize it, then apologize for it. Over and over... preferably on your knees.

Just sharing the rules.

I've been saying for years there is a powerful group of puppetmasters in this country who have been building people up to this, by weaponizing the media and Hollywood to exploit people's emotions and insecurities and militarize them against what they now recognize as "hate". The stratagem has already been played out so far and people are so far gone, they don't even see that it's their own hate destroying everything around them. We are experiencing a level of mass indoctrination not experienced since perhaps 1930s Germany.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a larger number of viral race-related news stories have coincided with election years... Trayvon Martin just before Obama's re-election, Michael Brown at the midterm, and now George Floyd*.
*Floyd was a guy murdered by a bad cop. You've got to share some of that fire hose information you speak of because I am not aware of a shred of information suggesting there was some secret and sinister race-related reason for his death. So if I missed something I really would like to know.
Interestingly I thought one of the most clear cut examples of extreme officer neglect and callousness wrt a black person in custody was the example of Freddie Gray in Baltimore. I was surprised that wasn't the biggest catalyst for widespread calls for police reform. But then... it wasn't an election year so the media machine wasn't as quickly spun up as it could have been.

Obviously the incidents themselves aren't orchestrated, but there's a very deliberate effort to latch on to the right story and make it spiral out of control with a very specific objective. (You've seen the media machine grab the wrong story and screw it up too, a la Jussie Smollett and most recently, Bubba Wallace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
but it's also something deeper, more insidious, that needs to be recognized and addressed, that really did start with the first European settlers on this continent.
I gotta run for now - but can you expand upon this statement?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #39
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin
 
John Pickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 1,601
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
I disagree with you on a systemic racism thing, John, but you know that. I would need to see pretty strong evidence of something so "systemic" that we need a new civil rights movement to combat it. Thousands die in Chicago, LA and Detroit and no one bats an eye because they can't neatly and directly blame it on the establishment - but a few cops a year harass or use excessive force on black people and we're suddenly dealing with a pervasive problem that only exists in law enforcement? I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing, sorry.
My view on it: Don't confuse a label for a definition. "Systemic Racism" should always be used with quotation marks around it, because it's a shorthand term for a much broader, far more complex set of issues. Economics, education, opportunity, racist politics (divide and conquer - both parties do it, but one does it better), it's all part of a tangled mess of interrelated social and political problems that started when the first Europeans landed on these shores. But more on that part later.

"Systemic racism" isn't a bad label for it, though. Because although "the system" - the framework of laws, rules, etc. - applies equally, the factors I note above make "the system," in practice, discriminatory against POC. Resolve those influencing factors, and "the system" will be colorblind.

Does that help, or have I confused matters even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
I used to live near Baltimore and my husband and I had two friends in the BPD. They deserved combat pay, and medals, just for doing that job. (Oh, and one of them is black - I'm sure he's just loving this after everything he has seen...) Policing isn't perfect in America, and unions seem to cause some trouble; so sure, let's make some improvements. Do you really think that's going to stop the angry mobs? NYC just took $1B from police officers - away from law enforcement in NYC - let that sink in... and that still wasn't enough for these clowns.
The appeased are never satisfied. I very much support efforts to correct injustice and inequality - but you won't do that just by appeasing this group or that. You see it in this and internationally. The appeased always want more.

And cops have never had it easy. We ask so much of them, we ask them to be superhuman and never make a mistake. The great majority of them are good people trying to do a thankless job, and they're being tarred by a few bad ones who've made the news.

I think defunding police departments is moronic - beyond stupid. But I would support reallocating some of the funds currently devoted to police to other services, once those services are in place, freeing the police from being (for example) mental health experts on top of everything else. Let them get back to being cops, and let others be "first responders" for non-police issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
BTW, you can't say you're not racist, John. That makes you racist. Always treating people all the same regardless of their skin color is racist; that's how I know I'm a racist! And all my conservative black friends are racists too. (Or Uncle Toms, or whatever. Ridiculous.) See, unless you are a modern American social justice warrior, we all have this implicit bias against people of color and there's nothing you can do but work hard to "unpack" your bias and recognize it, then apologize for it. Over and over... preferably on your knees.

Just sharing the rules.
Oh, but I can say I'm not racist, and mean it. Unless it's thrown in my face - like now - I don't even think of people in terms of color, except as being part of the individual's characteristics. I see a picture of a pretty girl and I think, "Oh, she's a pretty girl." I note that she may be black, white, Native, Latina, or Asian, but that's just part of what makes that pretty girl unique. We are all one race, and we'll continue to have problems until that becomes generally accepted; right now, most people don't seem to believe that.

It's behavior. Act like a thug, you're a thug regardless of your superficials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
I've been saying for years there is a powerful group of puppetmasters in this country who have been building people up to this, by weaponizing the media and Hollywood to exploit people's emotions and insecurities and militarize them against what they now recognize as "hate". The stratagem has already been played out so far and people are so far gone, they don't even see that it's their own hate destroying everything around them. We are experiencing a level of mass indoctrination not experienced since perhaps 1930s Germany.
I can't argue with this. I've been saying much the same thing. You cannot trust the media message - any media. You can't trust you're getting the whole story from anyone. Particularly anything you see posted on social media. Or 99% of the "hard news" sites...

So don't you fall for it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
I don't know if you've noticed, but a larger number of viral race-related news stories have coincided with election years... Trayvon Martin just before Obama's re-election, Michael Brown at the midterm, and now George Floyd*.
*Floyd was a guy murdered by a bad cop. You've got to share some of that fire hose information you speak of because I am not aware of a shred of information suggesting there was some secret and sinister race-related reason for his death. So if I missed something I really would like to know.
Interestingly I thought one of the most clear cut examples of extreme officer neglect and callousness wrt a black person in custody was the example of Freddie Gray in Baltimore. I was surprised that wasn't the biggest catalyst for widespread calls for police reform. But then... it wasn't an election year so the media machine wasn't as quickly spun up as it could have been.

Obviously the incidents themselves aren't orchestrated, but there's a very deliberate effort to latch on to the right story and make it spiral out of control with a very specific objective. (You've seen the media machine grab the wrong story and screw it up too, a la Jussie Smollett and most recently, Bubba Wallace).
Don't get me started on Smollett... He set the "civil rights" movement back a decade with that stunt.

You never know what's going to trigger an uprising, and I agree about Freddie Gray - but there wasn't video of a cop with a knee on his neck until he died, either.

And everything is played up in an election year. Remember, the media wants controversy, lurid details, to keep the viewer tuned in. That's why only the negative COVID-19 numbers get reported, why only the most violent protests get reported, etc.

Some fire hose data: George Floyd was no angel, had been in trouble, but family and friends say he was working on improving himself; he may not have known the bill he was passing was fake. He may have, but we'll never know... The cop had a side job at the same gym(?) Floyd had worked, and apparently had a run-in with him at some point in the past year. The cop also had previous use-of-force complaints, some of them apparently racially-motivated; there are some anecdotal evidence circulating (OK, anecdotal evidence really isn't evidence, but...) that he was on record as refusing to associate with darker-skinned people. Or words to that effect.

Video taken at an early Minneapolis protest - I think it was Minneapolis - showed a gas-masked white guy busting out the windows of an Auto Zone store. Not a surgical mask, but a legit gas mask. Protestors were seen asking him to stop. I saw a report where an ex-girlfriend or something later identified the man as a Minneapolis cop... I'd like to know if that was ever substantiated...

Like I said, drinking from a fire hose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
but it's also something deeper, more insidious, that needs to be recognized and addressed, that really did start with the first European settlers on this continent.
I gotta run for now - but can you expand upon this statement?
OK. Ready?

Then as now, since the Natives who lived here, and the slaves that followed, looked and lived differently than the Europeans did, they were looked at as something lesser. You tend to fear what you don't understand, and there was little common frame of reference; food, sure, but the Natives had a completely different outlook, political structure, no religion the newcomers could recognize, and OMG did they dress funny! That's not to say that most of the settlers didn't respect their neighbors, but most of them did not consider them equals. So they settled on land traditionally used by the Natives, dismissed complaints since they were savages and couldn't understand, dismissed what the Natives considered holy because they didn't consider the same things holy...

And slaves... I do not understand the mentality that allows for owning another human being. Imprison, sure. Forced labor, I get. But actual ownership? No. You own a dog - and even that gets fuzzy... But by and large, blacks in particular were not seen as human beings in this country. They were some subset of humankind, at about the same level as livestock. Fortunately, not everyone felt that way, but when the Federal Government moved to end the practice, the states that allowed slavery rebelled. They couched it in terms of "state's rights," but the right they were fighting for was the right to own slaves...

But after the Civil War, blacks weren't adopted into mainstream society. They were kept on the edges, not trusted, still viewed as less-than-human. And this was perpetuated by the powerful, who resented the change forced on them, who fought to stay powerful, and they passed that resentment on. "Jim Crow" laws that kept "the races" separated existed into the 1950s and 60s. Segregation... The list goes on.

Today we have laws prohibiting the kind of discrimination that began when Europeans took over this continent. But we still need to address the aftermath of the three centuries of damage done, because if we want people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, they first need to have boots, and you get boots by having opportunities to improve yourself. Most POC are obliged to live in economically depressed areas simply because they can't afford to live anywhere else. The schools are terrible in those areas because the neighborhoods can't afford to fund them. Uneducated people don't have the opportunity to go to good colleges and don't have the opportunities to do better - so they have to live in economically depressed areas simply because they can't afford to live anywhere else...

That's "Systemic Racism." And as a result, POC are still looked at as lesser humans (which is an over-simplistic way of putting it, but you understand).

It's going to take work to improve that. Awareness that there's more to it than just an attitude about skin color.
__________________
See Dirk's appearance schedule here: Appearances

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #40
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

I don't think the term "systemic racism" is meant, by most people, in the way you describe. But aside from that I agree - the MOST IMPORTANT things we need to address in order to provide EQUALITY (not equity) - meaning giving everyone a fair shot at living their best life - are the following:
  1. Economic improvement/job growth in many inner cities and rural areas. This comes from businesses moving back in to these areas. No one wants to hear this, but it means we need to make it profitable to do business in the form of tax breaks for multi-billion dollar companies employing tens of thousands of people. Oh, and not inviting illegal aliens (excuse me... "undocumented immigrants") to soak the support systems. Which need to be regulated and monitored better because they are being widely abused.
  2. Cracking down on CRIME. This means (gasp) funding the police and EMPOWERING them to do their jobs. Criminals and their stupid allies should not be dictating the course on this. I think that's becoming more and more clear given recent developments. Agreed? That means no reallocating funds. Mark my words, Minneapolis and NYC are about to become examples of why any removal of funding from law enforcement is going to cost them more than their popularity among Democrats.
  3. Improving our low-performing schools - which comes indirectly from #1, believe it or not. Teachers need to be supplemented with engaged parents. Parents struggling with poverty, depression, multiple kids in jail or on the street, no fathers in the home, etc., are not typically engaged and are not properly raising their children in the first place. Those "trouble" students drag down the rest. Also need to stop regulating education at the federal level because we're doing a horrendous job.

Btw here's what the issues above have to do with systemic racism. NOTHING...

And now to address race-related problems:
  1. Politics. Disband the Democrat party. Period. They have thrived on racism and classism since Day 1. Fight me.
  2. Promotion of racism. See above. Also end the Affirmative Action that was supposed to end, but persists in essence in most large companies. When you are forced to hire less qualified women and POCs than white men who can actually perform the job, there is a SYSTEMIC problem there. That promotes racism and sexism in both directions, btw. How do you think it makes white men feel about the preferred identity groups?

So there are your racism problems. Shall we tackle those first? Because even as much as I hate modern Democrats, I think the first list is most crucial to our national welfare. And unfortunately for the Trump haters, this was basically his "racism" platform to begin with. Amazing how the sexist, racist administration brought about the lowest unemployment among POCs and women in our nation's history. Just saying.

(If I had any say in any of this...) I'd be on board with adding funds for those experiments with law enforcement teams (LEOs, social workers, psychologists or whatever the city feels is necessary, at a local level based on historical data). The caveat is that when a crime is committed, the LEO is in charge of the crisis team. As long as it's an experiment, not a long-term funding solution, so we can adjust as necessary.

My point about throwing around the word "racist" (hopefully you know my comment about you being racist was tongue-in-cheek!) is that many of the BLM terrorists honestly believe EVERYONE who are not part of their movement is racist. They have stated as much. They are hopelessly stupid and they are only building resentment between races. They're the most racist people of all - they are literally promoting segregation in schools and businesses, race-based preferential treatment across industries, special products and services developed specifically for POC, replacement of anything "too white" with a POC version... you've heard about the black national anthem? (I'm wondering what happens if someone kneels for that. When they kneeled for the REAL anthem and were just booed and the NFL was boycotted. I'll bet you kneeling for this crap earns you an ass-kicking, being arrested, losing your job or having your car set on fire. HMM.)

I don't generally fall for the social media hoopla. I research things before I post them. Half the time they are far outdated, misrepresented or are from dubious sources. I'm sure there are some bots trying to raise trouble on every platform, maybe even from outside the US with a variety of motives. I think it's a problem but not as much of a problem as our own politicians and mass media.

Should have mentioned this before but I was curious what you had heard (for the reason above). I researched George Floyd pretty extensively. They worked at the same bar, actually. Floyd was a bouncer and Chauvin was paid to sit outside in his vehicle when off-duty, to stop trouble before it entered the building. Seems like they would have run into each other at some point. None of the complaints against Chauvin mentioned racism, unless the story has changed. That was the news going to press right after the incident went viral. I'm sure the liberal media looked pretty hard for it. There's literally no reason to think the murder had anything to do with race. That's some dark humor of the whole situation...

I believe you about the gas-masked *white* guy (Was that the headline? You know most of Antifa and a lot of BLM supporters are white?). Maybe it wasn't even a vicious rumor about him being a cop. In Minneapolis I wouldn't blame him; but did they really need the help discrediting themselves? LOL. Amazing that made the headlines... really? are they trying to say it was all white cops looting and destroying people's businesses and setting them on fire all over the country? I'm sure it was a huge smokescreen to make the peaceful protesters look bad.

<<Sorry for the snark... but it adequately hides my total seething contempt for all of the self-righteous people exploiting this sh!t for the time being. I'm not even going to start on the children being massacred because I will lose it, and I've been trying like hell to contain myself these days. Meanwhile Hollywood starlets are bailing them out of jail, and Facebook has promoted charitable causes for civil rights attorneys to get these guys off. Apparently protesting the life of a known criminal is worth taking the life of an eight-year-old girl. No, really, I'm not going to start on this...>>

I want to comment on your last remarks regarding white European settlers and how people believe they were the devil because they destroyed the lives of people with whom they couldn't identify, but I'm running out of time.

I'll leave it at this. Over the course of history, there is no race that has not been an oppressor and no race that has not been subjugated. With the exception, perhaps, of some native Americans, because they had no other race to conquer or subjugate in *known* history. Yes, people are afraid of what they don't understand and humans are a violent, selfish species - and they always find a reason to justify the violence. Always. Just look at BLM and other terrorist organizations. This is just a black American jihad.

Trivia: Do you know where the word "slavery" came from? The term slave has its origins in the word slav. The slavs, who inhabited a large part of Eastern Europe, were taken as slaves by the Muslims of Spain during the ninth century AD.

White Europeans. Ironic, no?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #41
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,296
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
And yes, I live up to my reputation as a thread-killer.
No, you don't. We'll come back and debate..... speaking of which, I have missed a lot.

Where to start? If you are going to get rid of the Democratic party, please get rid of the Republican party, too, and start over....

I agree about ending Affirmative Action. The problem is that some people only hire males and Affirmative Action was the only way to force them to diversify their workforce. If we could hire on ability only, life would be better. Being excluded just because you are female, royally sucks.

I grew up in a community where there was no diversity. I would like to think I am not racist, but I am very cautious these days..... of everyone. You never know what someone will accuse you of. I do know that I would never take my non-white friends to my house....not because of them, but because of the opinion of my father. He grew up in the same all white community. He even thought more of the boys than the girls. It's not only POC that have faced prejudice. Changing your circumstances is hard. Not being judged for what your parents did or did not do is also hard. It's not always about the color of your skin.... or your religion.... or whatever else we get judged on. If you are not of middle class in a highly respected job, you do get looked down on. Worth less than someone else.

I watch many news programs and news feeds lately. I try to balance out the slants of the news I am getting. I do agree that this being an election year is making the George Floyd posts more news worthy. How many others are now included in the protests that hadn't died this year? Yes, change needs to happen. Reallocating some funds makes sense. We are asking a lot of our police officers.... and by blaming the whole police force or whole departments is not fair to them. As was pointed out, most of them are good and want to dedicate their lives to helping others. By defunding them and all the media comments against them are making it harder for those who are good to do their jobs. I get why many are retiring or finding other opportunities. We need to improve the police. There are many issues that may be more specialized than what the police were designed for. They are still there trying to help...and ALL LIVES MATTER. It doesn't matter what color of skin you have.

If we only do statues of those people who are perfect, we will never have a statue. A more comprehensive teaching needs to be done... slavery was wrong, but women were also thought of as property. Meant to be kept "barefoot and pregnant" and double-standards are still alive. Males are labeled as "players" and "studs" and females are "sluts" and "bitches".

Sitting across from East Germans while riding a train taught me a lot about how arrogant Americans can be. Somehow, we became the strongest and best at everything... and I know, that's a little ambiguous, but being the foreigner in a country where I was hated really opened my eyes...and I didn't do anything. Had my family never crossed the Atlantic, that would have been my hometown....

Have I covered enough topics... I feel very sad for the country. I wish the pandemic was over and I could go see my friends and family. I wish we could make the world better for everyone. I wish the shootings, riots, and looting would stop. I wish everyone was perfect and we lived in a perfect world.
__________________
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.


"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #42
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

VBS, I can't disagree with what you've said here. Well, except the part about getting rid of Republicans... But if you provide a number of other options to the two party system I'm all for it.

It's funny you mention bringing home friends to your father. I dated a black guy for a while when I was a teenager. At first it was because he was awesome and he was in the USAF - but then I kept seeing him after I realized we weren't really compatible. Afterwards he admitted he knew part of it was wanting to annoy my mother. Turns out he was using me for the same exact reason! Parents be crazy... We're still friends to this day too (even though he's a Democrat politician! )

Wrt the impressions of foreign citizens, I agree Americans are a bit arrogant. I also believe we're the greatest country in history and it's not a position for which I'm willing to apologize. I think Americans are incredibly naïve to think our problems are so terrible... Other countries have much bigger concerns, and that's a whopping understatement. More Americans should travel around the world for some perspective. Especially the hopelessly sanctimonious who weep for and denigrate America, and look at patriotism with disdain (usually young people but often older people who've just not had the experience to know better.) #firstworldproblems, indeed. Other countries view our media and hear the pathetic cries for attention and they start to believe there's really something wrong with us.

A friend wrote this today and I just had to share. Tell me if this resonates with you as much as it does with me:

Quote:
Racism exists of course, but these new “woke” contradictories just completely destroy our ability to tackle these things logically.

It’s problematic for a white person to discuss racism, but it’s also bad to stay silent.

It’s bad to move into a “black neighbourhood” and build a life there, but it’s also wrong to leave if things get tough.

It’s wrong to “not see colour” and judge people on their characters, but it’s also an issue if you do mention race.

At some point we have to admit that this is a lose-lose situation and perhaps the only way to “win” the game is to simply not play. Until the political climate changes and actually allows reasonable discourse I see no respite from the madness we are living in. Until we are all allowed to have a voice in these issues there will be no unity.
And this person is not from America, either. The same social identity -based crap exists everywhere.
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.

Last edited by Flygirl; 07-08-2020 at 05:44 AM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #43
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Current Events

By the way, who's voting Kanye West 2020?
__________________
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #44
Vballspieler
Dirkette
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,296
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Current Events

That quote does resonate with me. It feels very often like you are in a no win situation.

And I still stand by getting rid of Republicans if you are getting rid of Democrats. There are enough topics that I disagree with them on that having them as the only party would not be good for me.
__________________
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.


"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Contact Us - Dirk Benedict Central - Archive - Top
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

©2007-2020 DirkBenedictCentral.com
Webmaster- John Pickard