LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Favorite music

I'm inspired by some of the comments in the various threads to start a discussion of my own, this one centered on our favorite music. I see a few Neil Diamond fans, and elsewhere we've mentioned our favorite genres, so I figured it might be fun to have a thread with specific examples of the music we like - even guilty pleasures.

I expect a few surprises...

I'll start.

John's Example 1: Since I'm an old fart, I was around when this song was first recorded - but I think this version blows even the original right out of the water. Close your eyes and witness the power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Favorite music

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
I'm inspired by some of the comments in the various threads to start a discussion of my own, this one centered on our favorite music. I see a few Neil Diamond fans, and elsewhere we've mentioned our favorite genres, so I figured it might be fun to have a thread with specific examples of the music we like - even guilty pleasures.

I'll start.

John's Example 1: Since I'm an old fart, I was around when this song was first recorded - but I think this version blows even the original right out of the water. Close your eyes and witness the power...

It was only recently that I heard this version of this song, and you're right -- it blows Simon and Garfunkel out of the water. I played it several times a day for days! Unbelievable! Try this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I like most music. My favorite is 80s soft rock (REO Speedwagon, Chicago, Culture Club). I don't like rap music. Country is ok; polka music is great at weddings - don't usually listen to it other places; I listen to current pop music (Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga) to musicals (The Sound of Music), operas (the Phantom of the Opera is one of my all-time favorites) to dance music (Usher, Christina Aguilerra) to ballads and inspirational/motivational music (Josh Groban, Sara Bareilles, Katy Perry, Rachel Platten). "The Rose" by Bette Midler is another one of my favorites.
I have playlists for different moods, even different languages. I listen to music daily and love to sing along, but only in private.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
elainesteel

I love all kinds of music but I'm a huge fan of Barry Manilow and musical theatre. Probably why l'm really excited about our new show starting this week being Glenn Miller plays the Musicals!

Elaine.

"No one is going to save you, you have to save yourself. No one is going to give you anything, you have to go out and fight for it. No one knows what you want except you, and no one will be as sorry as you if you don't get it. So, don't give up your dreams!" - Barry Manilow
elainesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

This is an interesting topic. I like different genres of music, but I'm not that big a fan of rap music or heavy all electronic stuff.
I grew up with classical music, so I still like that a lot (composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Dvorzak, ...). I also listened a lot to jazz music at that time and Nat King Cole was one of my all time favorites. I spend a couple of times in New Orléans a while ago and we went to a jazz lunch and took a boat trip on the Mississippi with Jazz musicians. It was awesome !!! I so enjoyed it.
But I listen to pop music as well. I like the 80-ies (huge Culture Club fan - want to buy their greatest hits album) and 90-ies music a lot, but also current pop music (due to my boys). I love music that makes me instantly happy eg Can't stop the feeling by Justin Timberlake. Lyrics to a song are also important to me. I like to listen to songs with 'a deeper meaning'. My boys used to watch Big Time Rush on Nickelodeon and they became big fans of the band and so did mom. We've got all of their albums and one is used as a wake-up call every morning (so I don't end up being a total grump - not a morning person). 'Windows down' is one of my favorite songs. I also like Heffron Drive (with one of the BTR members) and my oldest and I went to their concert in Rome last year on my b-day. It was so good !!! Oh yeah and I sing all the time: at home, in my car, ... Just not in public anymore. We used to have Singstar marathons when the boys were younger. Hilarious.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
anneg1026

I'm glad to see some Culture Club fans here "Cowboy George" is one of my favorite A-Team episodes!

I like a lot of different music. 80s new wave, synth pop and dance- especially Duran Duran, Howard Jones, and Human League. I like 90s dance and some alternative- my high school soundtrack! I also like classic rock- The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and the Eagles. Disco is good too I'm all over the place!
anneg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
anneg1026

I was just thinking- maybe we could each create a playlist on Spotify (or another service, if you prefer) and share some of our favorite songs
Old 02-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Flygirl
Erin

Great topic! I LOVE that cover of "Sound of Silence", and I don't usually like covers. My favorite genres are musical theater, 70s-80s pop, 50s-60s pop and the crooners, some jazz, and some current pop music - I mostly listen to music when I walk or at the gym. About 25% of the time I listen to my huge Spotify playlist and about 10% of the time I listen to my "A-Team" playlist (Anne, that's a great idea!) - which is a compilation of songs I think go well with the old series and ones I'd want to hear on a soundtrack for the new series or movie. The rest of the time I listen to musicals from beginning to end, and get lost in the story -by the time I'm done with the finale I've had a good workout. Right now I'm ADDICTED to "The Scarlet Pimpernel"!

Recent musicals: Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Little Shop of Horrors

I want to write more but life is seriously interfering in my forum fun time this week.

I like Anne's idea about the Spotify playlists. Does everyone use Spotify? I'll come back and share my A-Team playlist in case anyone is interested.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Great topic! I LOVE that cover of "Sound of Silence", and I don't usually like covers. My favorite genres are musical theater, 70s-80s pop, 50s-60s pop and the crooners, some jazz, and some current pop music - I mostly listen to music when I walk or at the gym. About 25% of the time I listen to my huge Spotify playlist and about 10% of the time I listen to my "A-Team" playlist (Anne, that's a great idea!) - which is a compilation of songs I think go well with the old series and ones I'd want to hear on a soundtrack for the new series or movie. The rest of the time I listen to musicals from beginning to end, and get lost in the story -by the time I'm done with the finale I've had a good workout. Right now I'm ADDICTED to "The Scarlet Pimpernel"!

Recent musicals: Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Little Shop of Horrors

I want to write more but life is seriously interfering in my forum fun time this week.

I like Anne's idea about the Spotify playlists. Does everyone use Spotify? I'll come back and share my A-Team playlist in case anyone is interested.
Not yet, but I'm willing to. Nice idea btw, Anne.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Wow, that version of Sound of Silence is powerful!

I'm on Spotify and would be up for sharing a Spotify playlist.

My music taste is eclectic at best: I like some pop, some classical, some jazz, some worship, some New Age/easy listening, some soundtrack. A few of my favorite artists/composers are Carpenters, Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Celtic Woman, the Piano Guys, Thomas Bergersen, John Williams, the King's Singers, and Bing Crosby. I own a lot of soundtrack music too. A few favorite songs: "Happy" by Carpenters, "Brave" by Josh Groban, and "You'll Never Walk Alone" performed by Celtic Woman. A lot of my favorite songs end up in music videos. If the wand chooses the wizard, the song chooses the video - LOL.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
anneg1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Not yet, but I'm willing to. Nice idea btw, Anne.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Flygirl
Erin

Here's my A-Team playlist... I've not shared a playlist before so please let me know if you can see it, or if I'm doing it all wrong.

https://open.spotify.com/user/121419...dQF4LShLMOj0OY
Old 02-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Here's my A-Team playlist... I've not shared a playlist before so please let me know if you can see it, or if I'm doing it all wrong.

https://open.spotify.com/user/121419...dQF4LShLMOj0OY
I can see it! Just had to log in with my account.

"Renegades" is definitely fitting. Actually liked that song in connection with Leverage, but it goes with A-Team too.

Uh oh... not "One Way or Another"! *covers ears and shakes head vigorously in hopes that song won't get stuck like last time* At least somebody shared a YouTube video this week and I've had a certain romantic duet in my head all day.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 02-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #14
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Just saw this. Might be easier to say what I don't like. Country, rap and some jazz, I do not like. I had classical piano lessons starting at 8 years old and into my teens. I don't play anymore but I do loved the music. Recently, I felt the need to listen to Dark Side of the Moon. So, my music choices depend on mood which to me makes total sense. Music will speak for me and to me.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
anneg1026

Here's my 80s playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/anneg1...UdA7ItqZtp4QQ3
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
I'm inspired by some of the comments in the various threads to start a discussion of my own, this one centered on our favorite music.

I'll start.

So John, is this the only song you like?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post

vball, when I first read his post I thought it meant a particular favorite. You know, one piece of music. For instance, mine is Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. But other people took it a different way, and that's okay.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #18
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
vball, when I first read his post I thought it meant a particular favorite. You know, one piece of music. For instance, mine is Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. But other people took it a different way, and that's okay.
I was just curious as to what else he likes. Trying to keep the mood light since the week started off very somber.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #19
ojai22

Quote:
I was just curious as to what else he likes. Trying to keep the mood light since the week started off very somber.

Bless your heart, thank you.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:

I'll start.

Here's a surprise for me. My teenage niece absolutely loves this song. She was talking about the song and I played the video. She started singing to it. she's adding it to her playlist.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #21
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I actually had the thought of particular favorites, and posting a link to YouTube or whatever to that song, but the way this has gone is good, too!

I have a lot of favorites, depending on my mood. I tend to like big, grand, loud music most of the time, particularly if I need a lift, emotionally or energy-wise. My Pandora list includes everything from '80's "Hair Metal" to Chickenfoot.

'80's Hair Metal

Chickenfoot

And then there's the operatic stuff - which I'll save for later.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #22
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I actually had the thought of particular favorites, and posting a link to YouTube or whatever to that song, but the way this has gone is good, too!
If we all post a favorite song, or a "guilty pleasure" like John did, we could also make a DB Fans' playlist...

Here's one that always speaks to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-qwrK3i-c

Last edited by Flygirl; 02-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: better version
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #23
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
If we all post a favorite song, or a "guilty pleasure" like John did, we could also make a DB Fans' playlist...

Here's one that always speaks to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-qwrK3i-c
Love it!
- Brian Greene
Old 02-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #24
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Here's my "guilty pleasure" - LOL. It's basically the pep talk I wish I could give people when they're sad or having a hard time, and am extremely grateful when someone is kind enough to give it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGLSk3AVcUU
- Brian Greene
Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #25
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I'm noticing a rather disturbing trend. I may wind up surprising you...

Anyway, as I was trying to wind down tonight - it's far later than I should be up - I was surfing YouTube and found this.

I enjoy strong female voices. It's even better for me when that strong female voice is part of a song I can recharge to. And when you add a strong female voice that is also an icon, a true trailblazer for women in music, well - you had me at "I saw him standing there..."

This 9-minute video was recorded just this last New Year's Eve at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra performance, and they play two of her biggest hits - the sound isn't perfect, but it is, after all, a live performance recorded from the audience - but it shows she hasn't lost a step in 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeylMu7D7Bs