LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Battlestar Galactica Classic

Battlestar Galactica Classic For discussions about the classic Battlestar series which starred Dirk as the one and only "Starbuck". NO Ron Moore show posts here please.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
melonster1mel

Default Question about Battlestar Galactica

Does anyone know why the show only had I believe one season and maybe part of another. I really liked the show. I tend to be old fashioned about what I watch on TV. I like watching reruns of the shows from when I was about 11-years-old to many of the new shows of today.
melonster1mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: Question about Battlestar Galactica

Hi, mel!

I happen to be something of a fan of that show.

Start here: https://www.tombsofkobol.com/bsg/1978-intro-01.html

The long and short of it, though, is that Galactica didn't have the profit margin ABC wanted.

Battlestar Galactica was canceled after one season. They tried to revive it with Galactica 1980, which most fans ignore (except for the final episode, "Return of Starbuck", which was too little too late). It was bad. Just... bad. It was put out of our misery fairly quickly.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
melonster1mel

Thank you for your quick response. I have always been a big fan of the show and always had wondered why it was not on longer. What do you think about the new Battlestar Galactica. I have not watched it I had a chance but not now.

Thank you,

Melissa Edwards
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Mel, there's a reason we don't talk about the "new Battlestar Galactica" show around here (see the note at the top of the forum).

Frankly, I know more about that production than I want to know.

I am
Dawg

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
melonster1mel

Sorry I have not replied to you but it is hard for me to get to use my computer. I think I understand your reaction to my reply from yours. Can you explain where at the top you said to read something up. I clicked on several things but could not find it.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Just above the top "REPLY" button, where it tells you that this is the "Battlestar Galactica Classic" forum, it says "No Ron Moore show posts here please."

I'll give a brief explanation. Actually, there were a lot of reasons we came to that decision, so let me sum up:

This site and others with strong ties to 1978's Battlestar Galactica discovered that discussion of the Moore/Sci-Fi show invariably led to fights, personal insults, and flame wars. So the decision was made to not allow that discussion to disrupt our conversations. After all, the focus of this site is Dirk, right?

I am
Dawg

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
melonster1mel

I understand now and yes it is all about Dirk. I think he is an amazing person. There is only a few celeberties or public figures who I think are amazing. Know a place or website to buy the original Battlestar Galactica serious or a website to watch the episodes.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
melonster1mel

I have not been signed in for awhile it is hard to get to use my computer I am sharing an Internet connection with a laptop. Thank you for your last response about my question about his books he has written. I do have a list of things I would like to buy and his books are on that list. How has Dirk been? Is he up to anything new. You said he lives in this country I did not know that. What state does he live in.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I recommend both Dirk's books without reservation, Mel. He's a wonderful storyteller, and both books are autobiographical and really give a glimpse into the man and what he's been through.

Last word is that Dirk's pretty much over a bug that interfered with his travel plans - he's still scheduled to be in Ghent, Belgium in time for the F.A.C.T.S. convention.

And, finally, Dirk was born and raised in the great state of Montana (as you'll learn when you get into his books), and when he left Hollywood to raise his boys that's where he went. That's his home base.

I am
Dawg

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
melonster1mel

Thank you very much for your response to my question. I am sorry I have not logged on for awhile. I share an Internet connection with a laptop. I did finally find a job and I plan on soon buying my own Ethernet cord for my computer. How has Dirk been and what has he been up to lately.

Thank you,

Melissa Edwards
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
prepperdad

I LOVED the orginal Battlestar Galactica. I saw the entire series once on a SciFi Channel holiday marathon and literally stayed up for every episode. Dirk was awesome in that series. Those were such great memories!

Last edited by prepperdad; 12-18-2011 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: typo
prepperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Nacky

Another reason for its untimely exit from the airwaves was the cost of production, the show had an amazing cast. In those days, even sequels to movies were a rare thing, now entire movie productions get numerous ongoing continued stories and plotlines.

I would hope one day BSG gets the spotlight it deserves and the look and feel of the original concepts and atmosphere of the original series. Without the Ron Moore influence of GINO.
Nacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
melonster1mel

Thank you for that response I found it to be very interesting. I was curious for so many years why the show was canceled and in knowing why it is such ashame because the show was so great considering in the time it came out. The original show will always be in my thoughts I really loved watching it. I have not had the chance in a very long time I do miss watching it. I hope to it will get the credit it so definitely deserves.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Nacky

They could make a great comeback but they need to stick with the original formula and stop trying to add in a bunch of nonsense that strips away the atmosphere, the ideals and the events that happens in the story. Keep the script of what it does to whole races of people to suddenly be homeless without putting in senseless drama that doesn't even coincide with what people would really be like in such events.

The vulnerbility has to be there, the sense of loss and in the new series, none of that was ever present. There was no sense of community and order. Just people who were enraged and rather self-centered. But I guess there are those types in every race LOL!
Nacky is offline   Reply With Quote