LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area > The International Holidays Thread

The International Holidays Thread Christmas is coming! So is Hanukkah and Kwanzaa too! Holiday celebrations around the world can be enjoyed in this forum from our very international fan club!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #26
Petra

Hello everybody,
I found a link to our Christmas-Market in Hamburg. Sorry, I could not post own photos of this market, because I had problems with my PC.

Tracy, I hope, it is ok to post a link?

To all of you, maybe you enjoy the pictures

https://www.hamburg.de/bildgalerie-bi...90&cid=6558323

Many Greetings

Petra
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Smile Re: Christmas

Tis the season again.
Yesterday I celebrated the first Advent. This is celebrated the four Sundays before Christmas.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #28
asmay

Default Re: Christmas

AH, that is a sweetie!! Who could resist such a Christmas present on your doorstep?? (Not me ...)

BLISS is a constant state of mind, undisturbed by gain or loss. (Anonymus)
LOVE is an illness, without which one does not feel well. (Marguerite Grépon)
FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real (John Armitage)
asmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
Sharon

Hello Everyone! What a treat to read about all your traditions! My daughter was very interrested to hear about some of the names for Santa Claus!
My family has many different backgrounds....Scottish, Irish, English, German and My husband is Scottish and Scandinavian...my in-laws, as in sisters-in-law are polish, ukramian, and german...so we have many traditions that we mix together.
Our favourite when we were growing up was my Grandmother's recipe for Scottish Shortbread...it's a tradition that is carried on even now...my nieces and my brother and I still make it. We always had to make 2 batches because the 1st batch would get eaten before the holidays, so my mother would make a second batch and hide it fo we could have it on Christmas Day!
We celebrate Christmas Eve at my mother-in law's house with my husbands family and usually we spend Christmas Day with my family....but we are a spread out family across the country, so we have many phone calls over the 2 days of celebrating!
We combine many different foods from each persons family heritage and everyone enjoys the company and the food!
I hope everyone keeps sharing their traditions!
Goodnight for now....hugs to all!
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #30
Sharon

Ph, so cute...thank you for this adorable picture!
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #31
Denise Ross

I am also a BC Girl. My family traditions are quite similar with the tree, wreath, large meal. My family heritage is English and Irish so we encorporate some of that into the day. We spend most of Christmas day visiting family. My kids birthdays are December and January so we are very busy. I love it its my favorite holiday. I believe in Santa!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Lucia Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbinut View Post
Tis the season again.
Yesterday I celebrated the first Advent. This is celebrated the four Sundays before Christmas.

Hallo my friend, I went to church, celebrate the first Sunday of Advent.
This is a time for reflection and hope
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #33
Lucia Helena

Lightbulb Re: Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Hello Everyone! What a treat to read about all your traditions! My daughter was very interrested to hear about some of the names for Santa Claus!
My family has many different backgrounds....Scottish, Irish, English, German and My husband is Scottish and Scandinavian...my in-laws, as in sisters-in-law are polish, ukramian, and german...so we have many traditions that we mix together.
Our favourite when we were growing up was my Grandmother's recipe for Scottish Shortbread...it's a tradition that is carried on even now...my nieces and my brother and I still make it. We always had to make 2 batches because the 1st batch would get eaten before the holidays, so my mother would make a second batch and hide it fo we could have it on Christmas Day!
We celebrate Christmas Eve at my mother-in law's house with my husbands family and usually we spend Christmas Day with my family....but we are a spread out family across the country, so we have many phone calls over the 2 days of celebrating!
We combine many different foods from each persons family heritage and everyone enjoys the company and the food!
I hope everyone keeps sharing their traditions!
Goodnight for now....hugs to all!
I agree with you, Sharon, is very important to keep the traditions.
Tell your children that Santa Claus here in Brasil receives the name: PAPAI NOEL.
Here in my country follow the traditions Portuguese because we were colonized by them.
The supper of Christmas, the tree, chestnuts, walnuts, wine, fruit, the family reunited.
And if the family is Catholic, it is important to attend Mass, the Vatican directly.
Here is called Mass of the Rooster, the difference of time-zone
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #34
asmay

About Christmas traditions: In Holland we celebrate two days, December 25 and 26. Which is normally spent with family (one day with your own family, the next day with the in-laws,if applicable, of course). On Christmas Eve shops and offices close a little earlier in preparation for the holidays and some people go to church at midnight. Nowadays the Second Christmasday is also becoming a popular day to go out, e.g. to special malls which are open (furniture, kitchens, bathrooms etc.), the cinema, Christmas shows and /or the circus.

People like to go to restaurants for special Christmas dinners, but many prefer to eat at home with family. Most popular dinner these days is gourmet (you know, a sort of cooking plate on the table with small skillets and everyone cooks, grills or roasts their own meat, chicken, fish and vegetables), in which way you spend a long time at the table, cooking and frying and talking. Great fun for everyone, especially children, and Mum doesn't have to slave for hours in the kitchen! And, of course, we all eat too much during this holiday .......

We do not have the tradition of presents with Christmas (that is done at Sinterklaas on December 5, but nowadays more and more people sort of adopt the American tradition and exchange gifts on First or Second Christmas Day.

Does anyone else also celebrate two days for Christmas? (Just curious.)

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
N2711R

Hi Asmay,

I'm originally from Switzerland, and we also celebrate on two days. We used to celebrate on the evening of Dec. 24, and it was usually our family and the grandparents who lived close by. We had, of course, a real tree and real candles. It was always special to watch and see the lights of the candles go out, one by one. We would quietly observe them and predict which one would go out next, until the last one lost its lustre, and then we would sit in the dark for just a brief moment. The meal was usually kept light - a plate of special deli meat, pickles, a few cheeses, and fresh bread - so that there was enough time to celebrate; to read the Christmas story, to sing, and, finally, to open the presents. We would then all go to the Christmas service at 10 pm.

On December 25 - Weihnachten - the extended family joined us, and we sat down for a very festive meal. In the evening, we put new candles on the tree and enjoyed the lights and each other's company again.

What you call "Sinterklaas" is called "Samichlaus" in Swiss-German and is celebrated on December 6. No gift exchange takes place though. Samichlaus brings small bags filled with nuts, apples, mandarines, and small pieces of chocolate. But he also carries a large book where the good and bad deeds of all the children are written down. He opens it, reads in it and then announces with a somber voice what is written about you. If you've been "good", you receive the small bag with goodies, but if you've been bad, Samichlaus and his helper (called "Schmutzli") will put you in their huge bag and carry you off far away to the Black Forest...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas season.
Irene
N2711R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #36
asmay

Hi Irene,

I did not know about the Samichlaus tradition in Switzerland (German speaking part, I guess). There are quite some similarities (black helpers: 'Zwarte Pieten', big book with names of 'good' and 'bad' children, here the naughty children are put in the sack and taken back to Spain, and the sweets, of course), but here the presents are the main part. I know that in Belgium it is celebrated in the same way as in the Netherlands, only on December 6, just like with you. Amazing how these traditions find their way into different countries!

For Christmas I understand that the main days of celebration in Switzerland are Dec. 24 - Christmas Eve - and Dec. 25. Does that mean that you would normally go back to work on Dec. 26 (not being a holiday)?

Btw thanks for sharing!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #37
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

HI EVERYONE
I'm sending out Christmas cards.
If you'd like me to send you one via e-mail or address please PM me.
All addresses and emails will be kept private.
I remember receiving some from my friends here from across the other side of the world *so to speak* and also others close to home.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Anne
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #38
Lucia Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbinut View Post
HI EVERYONE
I'm sending out Christmas cards.
If you'd like me to send you one via e-mail or address please PM me.
I remember receiving some from my friends here from across the other side of the world *so to speak* and also others close to home.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Anne
Great idea,Anne!

If you'd like me too, send you one via e-mail or address please PM me.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #39
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Helena View Post
Great idea,Anne!

If you'd like me too, send you one via e-mail or address please PM me.
Great minds think alike, eh?
I always loved getting Christmas/Holiday cards from around the world and also from the States and Canada. It makes me feel really warm inside.
My friends here are really special to me.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
N2711R

Hi Asmay,

It was my pleasure to share how we celebrate Christmas, and here's the answer to your question:

quote <For Christmas I understand that the main days of celebration in Switzerland are Dec. 24 - Christmas Eve - and Dec. 25. Does that mean that you would normally go back to work on Dec. 26 (not being a holiday)?>

December 26, St. Stephen's Day, is a Christian saint's day which is observed in the entire country of Switzerland except for a few cantons in the French speaking part. It is, therefore, considered a holiday. People usually go back to work on December 27.

Irene
N2711R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #41
Petra

Hi,
bibbinut the dog pic is soooo cute! Really nice!

Hope, everybody had a "sweet" St. Nicolaus Day yesterday. With a lot of chocolate and maybe little gifts.

Who has celebrated Nicolaus?

Many Greetings

Petra
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #42
asmay

I sort of celebrated only in spirit. In my family we don't exchange gifts, only for the little ones. My nephew has a boy of 7 and a girl of almost 4, who both still believe in Sinterklaas (or St. Nicolaas, it's the same) and Zwarte Piet (his helper). So we all play along with them which is a lot of fun for us grown ups!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #43
Sharon

Hi Everyone! I hope that you are all doing fine! Christmas is getting closer and there is always so much to do...I hope everyone is having fun getting ready for the holiday. I know that there is a lot of preparation for this big day, but I hope it is a well deserved break and family time for everyone!
I have been so busy, but trying to fit it in has been a lot of work. My husband and I have had some good giggles while doing our shopping and that is important!
Tajke care and hope to catch up with everyone soon!
Hugs!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #44
ojai22

Just nine days to Christmas, 2013.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #45
ojai22

This Christmas thread began in 2007. It chronicles the different ways Christmas is celebrated in different cultures around the world. And the different names for Santa. Different foods that are enjoyed this time of year. A warm and inviting thread to enjoy in 2015.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #46
ojai22

HOLIDAY CHEER FROM GERMANY

This Looks Like A Normal Grocery Store, But When The Lights Go Out?

Awesome.

It took a team of cashiers, 13 different hidden cameras and a whole lot Christmas spirit to pull off this epic holiday surprise!

Edeka, Germany's largest supermarket chain, decided to surprise its shoppers with a seasonal treat. In an attempt to liven up the otherwise boring chore of grocery shopping, these cashiers opted to delight their patient shoppers with a choreographed orchestra that beeped the holiday classic, Jingle Bells.

CLICK ON THIS LINK

https://youtu.be/H965m0Hkk5M
Old 12-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #47
ojai22

CHRISTMAS PARTY WITH THE BOSS' SON

Watch the kid's face...how does he do that? ROTF!

https://youtu.be/WKMg528DMh4

💝 😍 👀
Old 12-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #48
Ro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
CHRISTMAS PARTY WITH THE BOSS' SON

Watch the kid's face...how does he do that? ROTF!

https://youtu.be/WKMg528DMh4

💝 😍 👀

L-O-L!!!! The kid is cool and he knows it.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #49
ojai22

Two more days till Christmas Eve and I'm finished with everything. All the presents wrapped, and mailed if necessary. No cards, but I had a brilliant idea for that. I simply took a picture of a beautiful card that was left over from another Christmas. It was so pretty that I kept it. You can take a picture with your iPad and mail it. So that was how I sent out cards this year. You only need one card for the picture and everyone gets it. Ingenious idea, I thought.

It felt really good to have everything done so I made roasted veggies for dinner and had a feast. Cut the pieces small, parboiled the potatoes and carrots before roasting them, made salmon croquettes and broccoli coleslaw. Totally good.

When it's all finished you get to rest....ah!

Merry Christmas to All --

including the bots who stop by day and night to see what we're up to. 😜

ojai22

🎀 ☃ ⛄️ 🌲 🌹🎁 🎁 🎁 🎉 🎄 🎄 🎄 💋 ♌️
Old 12-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #50
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

From Dirk Benedict Central to all of our friends and families: A very, very Merry Christmas!

And our best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

John

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote