LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area > The International Holidays Thread

The International Holidays Thread Christmas is coming! So is Hanukkah and Kwanzaa too! Holiday celebrations around the world can be enjoyed in this forum from our very international fan club!

Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
anneg1026

Lightbulb International holiday traditions

Hi all,

Since we're an international group of fans, I thought it would be fun to discuss Christmas and other holiday traditions in different countries! How do you celebrate the holidays in your family and/or country?
anneg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: International holiday traditions

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE A-TEAM

This is so nice
I'm posting it twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-...CCYIffqQ&gl=GB

Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneg1026 View Post
Hi all,

Since we're an international group of fans, I thought it would be fun to discuss Christmas and other holiday traditions in different countries! How do you celebrate the holidays in your family and/or country?
Well on Christmas eve I usually have my parents and parents in law over for a nice home cooked meal. We spend Christmas day with my parents and get to open up the presents. And we get to eat the traditional Christmas cake. On th 26th of December, we go to the Light Parade at my hometown with my parents. We celebrate New Year's eve with friends at someone's home. On New Year's day we celebrate with both families. This time we get to open up presents at my parents in law's.
Off course this year we'll be having a commemoration for my brother in law who died last year on the 30th of November. We have arranged to go for a walk with the whole family and have a nice meal together. It's a pretty difficult day for my parents in law
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
Vballspieler
Dirkette

A Merry Christmas or a Family Christmas?
That is the question upon us.

Stop by to visit my dad and then a meal with the rest of the family.

Last edited by Vballspieler; 12-13-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
A Merry Christmas or a Family Christmas?
That is the question upon us.
Lol

We used to have a big family thing when we lived back east... Now it's just the four of us going out for dinner on Christmas Eve, and then I usually take the kids to church for Christmas vigil (I'm Catholic and my husband's agnostic - he's not into church. The kids and I put up a nativity, too...). But Christmas Day we spend in pajamas, playing with our toys and face-timing the extended family. It's much more peaceful, but sometimes I do miss the big family functions.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Well on Christmas eve I usually have my parents and parents in law over for a nice home cooked meal. We spend Christmas day with my parents and get to open up the presents. And we get to eat the traditional Christmas cake. On th 26th of December, we go to the Light Parade at my hometown with my parents. We celebrate New Year's eve with friends at someone's home. On New Year's day we celebrate with both families. This time we get to open up presents at my parents in law's.
Off course this year we'll be having a commemoration for my brother in law who died last year on the 30th of November. We have arranged to go for a walk with the whole family and have a nice meal together. It's a pretty difficult day for my parents in law
That's really nice (and sorry for your loss!) The traditional Christmas cake - is that a family tradition? Never heard of that. I know different countries have different traditions. My in-laws were from Portugal and the Azores. At Easter they make these mini sweet breads for the kids with a hard boiled egg baked into the middle. Weird but delicious. You don't eat the egg.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog

We have a merry family Christmas I would say
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
anneg1026

Things are pretty quiet in my house. The kids open their gifts and we just chill out! Hubby and I were both raised Catholic but we are not religious anymore. He usually has to work on Christmas but this year he's off. He's a corrections officer. We'll probably eat a quiet dinner at home. Our relatives all live up north (NJ and upstate NY).
Old 12-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #9
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
That's really nice (and sorry for your loss!) The traditional Christmas cake - is that a family tradition? Never heard of that. I know different countries have different traditions. My in-laws were from Portugal and the Azores. At Easter they make these mini sweet breads for the kids with a hard boiled egg baked into the middle. Weird but delicious. You don't eat the egg.
Thanks!
Well most people I know (from my country that is) have a traditional Christmas cake. It usually has whipped cream in it or butter cream. I'm not fond of either of them as they are too sweet for me ...
We have a special kind of cake for Epiphany and that one has one bean hidden inside the cake. The person who finds this bean can wear a crown and gets to be the King for a day
I haven't heard of that one before. How nice.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneg1026 View Post
Things are pretty quiet in my house. The kids open their gifts and we just chill out! Hubby and I were both raised Catholic but we are not religious anymore. He usually has to work on Christmas but this year he's off. He's a corrections officer. We'll probably eat a quiet dinner at home. Our relatives all live up north (NJ and upstate NY).
It's also nice to celebrate with just your husband and the kids. It will be nice that he's home too this year.
Same here
I guess that's one of the advantages of living in such a small country. We all live close by. My parents our only about a half an hour drive away from us and I can even walk to my parents-in-law's house. They are literally living behind the corner
Old 12-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #11
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

I've never heard of a christmas cake. We don't do that, but I heard that in England this is a tradition too.
We have balkenbrij which is basically a very VERY thick pork stew (we add beef too) that is minced, cooked and put on plates to cool and harden. It's then cut in strips and fried in butter. You eat it with mustard.
I believe the Belgian balkenbrij has blood in it right?
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #12
Michele Ann
Dirkette

This Christmas, it will just be my mom and my brother for opening gifts that we put under the Christmas tree for each other after we have a breakfast of coffee and panetone. My mom's father was from Italy so we have Italian traditions/foods. Then we will just prepare for a lovely dinner by having wine and relaxing while we have some light hors d'hoeurves (spelling???).

After dinner (around 2pm) we will just hang out and maybe watch some television or listening to Christmas carols on the radio and enjoying the decorations and lights on the tree. We usually end up falling asleep in the living room chairs.

Later, my brother will get some wonderful left overs and return to Boston. His partner will not be joining us this year as he will be with his mom and brother and sister-in-law. It's their first Christmas without his dad. Unfortunately, he passed the day after Christmas.

But, normally, we have a full house for dinner of friends. This year it will be quiet since we have a full house for Thanksgiving.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
I've never heard of a christmas cake. We don't do that, but I heard that in England this is a tradition too.
We have balkenbrij which is basically a very VERY thick pork stew (we add beef too) that is minced, cooked and put on plates to cool and harden. It's then cut in strips and fried in butter. You eat it with mustard.
I believe the Belgian balkenbrij has blood in it right?
Oh oh ... must have missed something. I don't think I've heard about that one before, but it can be a tradition in a certain region of the country too.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
This Christmas, it will just be my mom and my brother for opening gifts that we put under the Christmas tree for each other after we have a breakfast of coffee and panetone. My mom's father was from Italy so we have Italian traditions/foods. Then we will just prepare for a lovely dinner by having wine and relaxing while we have some light hors d'hoeurves (spelling???).

After dinner (around 2pm) we will just hang out and maybe watch some television or listening to Christmas carols on the radio and enjoying the decorations and lights on the tree. We usually end up falling asleep in the living room chairs.

Later, my brother will get some wonderful left overs and return to Boston. His partner will not be joining us this year as he will be with his mom and brother and sister-in-law. It's their first Christmas without his dad. Unfortunately, he passed the day after Christmas.

But, normally, we have a full house for dinner of friends. This year it will be quiet since we have a full house for Thanksgiving.
Sounds nice and cosy to me. I like Italian food a lot. It's nice to have some hors d'oeuvres (it's a tricky one) when you're waiting to have dinner. My kids love them. Besides opening up the presents, they like having those the most.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Oh oh ... must have missed something. I don't think I've heard about that one before, but it can be a tradition in a certain region of the country too.
We usually don't make it in west Brabant. The Dutch east has a history of balkenbrij as poor people's food. This tradition is one that my inlaws upheld until my mother in law died almost 5 years ago. I have taken over this tradition for my own family.
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
We usually don't make it in west Brabant. The Dutch east has a history of balkenbrij as poor people's food. This tradition is one that my inlaws upheld until my mother in law died almost 5 years ago. I have taken over this tradition for my own family.
So that's where it originally comes from. I like that you've taken over this family tradition.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Flygirl
Erin

My baking is done!!! Santa's elves are bringing care packages to the neighbors. I've never been so far ahead of things at Christmas - I've got almost all of my shopping done, finished all my cake and cookie baking, and started wrapping. (Most years I start wrapping at about 10 pm Christmas Eve!). I think it helps that I got to take vacation time Tuesday through Friday this week! How are you all doing with holiday preparations?
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #18
anneg1026

I'm done shopping, but I haven't started wrapping gifts yet! Last year I wrapped everything on Christmas Eve I had bought my son a toy that made noise, and it started making noise while I was wrapping it! I couldn't figure out how to turn the darn thing off, so I grabbed it and put it in the closet underneath a pile of clothes to muffle the noise! I finally found the off switch... LOL!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Well, half day tomorrow at work. 6:30 am to 10:30 am. Then I'll set up the laser lights in the yard when I get home, wrap all the gifts and do my nails. Friday and Monday are company holidays so time off begins tomorrow at 10:30am. Butter nut squash soup is already done and in freezer. That's the hors d'oeuvre and the rest , well, someone else is doing.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #20
LittleMonkeyDog

I've done my Christmas shopping yesterday with my best friend (tradition since we werein highschool) and one more present needs to be delivered tomorrow (I hope). And I still need to buy my ticket to the Springcon, because that's my present from my hubbie
I already have some ingredients for Christmas Eve dinner, but I need to get out and buy some more this afternoon and pick up my order from the grocery store tomorrow too. And also go get the kid results at their schools ... So still some things to do. Most of my gifts are wrapped already.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
Flygirl
Erin

Anne, I've done the sane thing with toys that make noise. Ever see the movie "Arthur Christmas"? The scene where Santa tries to deliver the farm animal toy and it starts playing a song, and the elves have extract him... sorta like that. (That movie cracks me up - my kids have already watched it three times this year. I'm subjecting them to "A Christmas Story" this year)

Michele, I don't know about you but I'm finding my time off work around the holidays is much more stressful than time actually spent at work... Also, butternut squash soup sounds amazing!

LMD, congratulations again on getting the tix to Springcon (and post photos here, please and thank you!!! ) That is the best Christmas gift EVER!!! What are the odds my hubby got me tickets to Germany? Ahhh probably not good.

I'm totally spoiled in that my husband does all the cooking. I just do the baking in advance and then get out of the kitchen. We're going out to dinner on Christmas Eve and then he is making a big dinner on Christmas Day. He's actually pretty excited about it. (He loves to cook which is definitely a plus for me... I can only be trusted with toast and microwave popcorn.)
Old 12-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #22
anneg1026

I can't cook either. I joke that I can burn water!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Finishing up the gifts. Made some snacks for coworkers. Trying to find excuses to get out of Christmas day or have an escape route planned if needed......
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 AM   #24
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
LMD, congratulations again on getting the tix to Springcon (and post photos here, please and thank you!!! ) That is the best Christmas gift EVER!!! What are the odds my hubby got me tickets to Germany? Ahhh probably not good.

I'm totally spoiled in that my husband does all the cooking. I just do the baking in advance and then get out of the kitchen. We're going out to dinner on Christmas Eve and then he is making a big dinner on Christmas Day. He's actually pretty excited about it. (He loves to cook which is definitely a plus for me... I can only be trusted with toast and microwave popcorn.)
I will try my very best to post some pictures. You never know, right?

Wow. Mine can't cook at all. One day I was so sick I couldn't get out of my bed and he had to cook something for the kids. I told him to go and get ready made spaghetti sauce at the store, but they were out of sauce. So he made a spaghetti with couscous vegetables It was horrible !!! The kids hated it and hardly touched their food and asked me if I would please be back on my feet the next day Poor thing. He did try.

I'm cooking on Christmas Eve for my parents and inlaws and for my friends on Newyears Eve (about 12 people). I absolutely love it, but I hate doing groceries at times like this because it takes hours to finish shopping ... (or find a place to park my car).
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 AM   #25
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Finishing up the gifts. Made some snacks for coworkers. Trying to find excuses to get out of Christmas day or have an escape route planned if needed......
I hope it will all work out fine for you.

Tags
christmas , holiday , international