LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #51
ojai22

Default Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

This is such a thorough description of how to roast winter veggies for the most intense flavor. It's at seriouseats.com and the entire site is good enough to eat!

The Food Lab: How to Roast Fall and Winter Vegetables

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/t...egetables.html

You have to see this to believe it:

The Food Lab: Introducing Vegetables Wellington, the Plant-Based Vegan Roast Even Meat Eaters Will Want

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...day-roast.html

This site is worth some browsing time. Plus, you can order a cookbook with all this wonderful info.

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science

by J. Kenji López-Alt

J. Kenji López-Alt is the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking. A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, he is the author of the New York Times best-selling cookbook The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science, available now wherever books are sold.

📕 📚 ☕️ 🍵 🍲 🍔
Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #52
ojai22

Some info about Organic Valley products:

https://www.organicvalley.coop/produc...rganic-valley/
Old 01-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #53
sarah c.

my friend is a photographer and a blogger. she wrote a really great piece....
https://luczfowlerphotography.wordpr...earing-chunks/
sarah c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #54
ojai22

I have found the most wonderful site and don't know how I missed it all these years. If you're looking to get plastic and the toxins it brings out of your life, this is the place to start.

Categories include Kitchen, Table, Lunch Gear, Body Care, Wellness, Water Bottles, Home, Cleaning, Gifts, Baby and Toys. Something for everyone!

I could spend a week just browsing this wonderful site.

https://mightynest.com

🎯
Old 07-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #55
ojai22

OH EM GEE! Look what I found! These people are so good I'm beside myself!

https://oregonbrineworks.com/

Beets, cabbage, etc. fermented the best way. OMG I can't wait to get some of this wonderful stuff!

Go, Look, Read. Then drool a little……

https://oregonbrineworks.com/

Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #56
ojai22

EDEN POCKET SNACKS

Announcing Pocket Snacks from Eden Foods. The finest nuts, seeds, and dried fruits that can be found. Nine varieties in handy single serve packets that go anywhere with ease. Seven are certified organic, Dried Montmorency tart cherries are transitional-to-organic, grown with zero chemicals. Quiet Moon mix is 88% organic with 12% Montmorency tart cherries. Contain no refined sugars, sulfites, or chemical additives. All are Gluten Free, low sodium, and kosher.

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/snack...et-snacks.html

They have all the fruit listed first but scroll down to the nuts and stuff.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #57
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
EDEN POCKET SNACKS

Announcing Pocket Snacks from Eden Foods. The finest nuts, seeds, and dried fruits that can be found. Nine varieties in handy single serve packets that go anywhere with ease. Seven are certified organic, Dried Montmorency tart cherries are transitional-to-organic, grown with zero chemicals. Quiet Moon mix is 88% organic with 12% Montmorency tart cherries. Contain no refined sugars, sulfites, or chemical additives. All are Gluten Free, low sodium, and kosher.

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/snack...et-snacks.html

They have all the fruit listed first but scroll down to the nuts and stuff.
Those look awesome. Didn't realize Eden sold directly from their website. Pocket snacks are really good for me. I can take them to work...
Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #58
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:

The Food Lab: Introducing Vegetables Wellington, the Plant-Based Vegan Roast Even Meat Eaters Will Want

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...day-roast.html
LOL.... This is a very good example of something I will never be able to do. Oh my GOSH it looks good, but incredibly daunting. Maybe I can coerce my husband to make it... He loves to cook and loves a challenge.

How delicious does that look?? Somebody make it and let us know how it is.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #59
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
grindstonebakery.com

Mario Repetto is the Baker at Grindstone Bakery.

If you eat bread, quite a lot or not so much, you need to check out the Grindstone Bakery in San Francisco. Organic grains are ground shortly before baking. No yeast, just natural fermentation. Both gluten and gluten-free. Ships all over the country.

Here's some interesting info about themselves as well as some important and specific info about bread and grains. Also, what is done to the grains before they reach your plate.

BREAD-MAKING FOR HEALTH & DELIGHT

Stone milling is the oldest, slowest, and best method of grinding whole grains. It is a gentle and cool process that preserves every good part of the grain. All the protein, oils, antioxidants and vitamins from the germ; all the sugars and starches from the endosperm, along with the tiny bits of bran rich in antioxidants and fiber are all there. Nothing is added and nothing is taken away. We slowly grind our whole grains using a small, natural, pink granite stone mill that never overheats the flour. We transform it into living dough within hours of being ground.

In today’s completely automated milling process, steel rollers crush the grain at remarkably high speeds, heating it to elevated temperatures and destroying vitamins and antioxidants in the berry. Sifters remove the germ and all bits of bran from the flour. Some of the separated parts can be later mixed back to produce a so-called whole wheat flourl; but the germ is never added back because, exposed to air and heat, it oxidizes and becomes rancid.

Whole grains are seeds coming from plants that, over millions of years, have developed the capacity to synthesize myriad phytochemicals that help them resist pathogens, parasites and predators, or attract beneficial organisms. We call these beneficial phytochemicals antioxidants. Our modern understanding on how they function in plants is helping us to discover the mechanisms by which whole grains benefit human health beyond basic nutrition. More than 8,000 phytochemicals have been identified, but a large number still remains unknown.

More and more convincing evidence suggests that the benefits of antioxidants in fruits, vegetables and whole grains may be even greater than is currently understood. Our body, it turns out, needs this synergistic effect – this teamwork – that is produced by eating a wide variety of plant foods.

Cells in humans and other organisms are constantly exposed to a variety of oxidizing agents, some of which are necessary for life. These agents may be present in air, food, and water, or they may be produced by metabolic activity within cells. Overproduction of oxidants can cause an imbalance, leading to oxidative stress, especially in chronic bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections. Oxidative stress can cause oxidative damage to large biomolecules, such as lipids, proteins and DNA.

To prevent or slow the oxidative stress induced by free radicals, sufficient amounts of antioxidants need to be consumed. The key factor is to maintain a balance between oxidants and antioxidants to sustain optimal physiological conditions. The lactic acid bacteria in our fermentation cultures are capable of unbinding these critical antioxidants from the bran and germ making them immediately bio-available for the protection of our cells.

In addition, lactic acid bacteria, being avid seekers of the amino acids needed for growing and multiplication, generate powerful external enzymes capable of breaking down complex proteins. This action has two positive effects: one that benefits our palate and the other our health.

Very much like in cheese-making, where the fermentation with lactic acid bacteria cultures breaks down complex milk proteins creating peptides (small protein fragments) with delicious flavors and aromas, our fermentation does the same with the proteins in the whole grain, generating flavors, a dense crumb, and a wonderfully satisfying chewiness. Because the complex proteins that form gluten are delightful targets for them, fermentation by lactic acid bacteria has been shown to substantially reduce the gluten content in bread. Ancient civilizations that ate naturally fermented whole grain bread did not suffer gluten intolerance issues.

All this may help explain why traditional cultures eating diets high in naturally fermented whole grains consistently have better health. Short-term clinical trials focused on fiber alone have yielded inconsistent results. So, the explanation for the health benefits of naturally fermented whole grains may arise from the teamwork of nutrients, protective antioxidants and lactic acid bacteria, not just their fiber.

Our fermentation cultures are the result of years of capturing and experimenting with different combinations of the wild lactic acid bacteria naturally present in the Sonoma Wine Country environment. We call them Sonoma Cultures, and each one has a particular ecosystem of several lactic acid bacteria strains, allowing us to create different breads with a relatively lower acid content than most sourdoughs, rich in flavor and color and resistant to spoilage without the use of preservatives.

�� �� ��
This is very interesting! These days you hear a lot about the importance of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables, not much about grains... likely because so few breadmakers use the more natural milling process. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #60
ojai22

Vital Choice now has Salmon Hot Dogs! In case you eat fish.....

https://www.vitalchoice.com/products...almon-hot-dogs
Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #61
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Macrobiotic Books, Websites, Links

Quote:
THE HIP CHICK'S GUIDE TO MACROBIOTICS
By Jessica Porter

I've been reading the Hip Chick's Guide which I just got a few days ago. Her knowledge of what is yin and what is yang is very impressive. I am beginning to see it more clearly now. The older books deal more with shapes and colors which seem to be forerunners of this book.

I think I have been yang thinking I was yin. It was the yang that made me crave sugar. Recently I finished dinner and soon after was thirsty. I knew if I drank 3 glasses of water I would still be thirsty in the morning. Instead I took 2 big bites of sauerkraut and the thirst went away. It seemed almost miraculous but just followed the simple law of the universe. (EDIT: I think this is wrong but I don't know why it worked)

I can tell when I eat a balanced meal - my mind soars like I'm going to fly away. Seems to be more noticeable in mind than body for me right now but I understand why that is.

I found something in the Hip Guide that is quite comical. She found this very yang boyfriend. After some time he dumped her and she goes off to McDonalds to have a binge and call him a jerk. She does explain that she was always pushing brown rice at him. Another place she explains that a control freak is yang. So her yang attitude actually got rid of her yang boyfriend. He left quietly, presumably to look for a very yin girlfriend.

Reading about things that are yin and things that are yang, she poses a question that I found interesting and led me to think further about it - which of the 2 political parties, Democrat and Republican, is yin and which is yang? To help people pay their rent, buy their food, provide them with medical, give them whatever you or they decide they need is an expansion that continues to grow as their children need help for medical, for school, etc. This is the front and all most of us see for a long time.

Every front has a back. An equal back. All that expansion can only be done by a very expanded government. Over the years it's been mostly one party that has done this while being held in check by the other. PThat has ceased. Now one, and most of the other, have joined together to make the expansion even greater, which is extreme yin. We are greatly off balance. This extreme yin will attract extreme yang, which is War. We, ourselves, are setting ourselves up for tragedy.

The people who oppose this extremity are now called extremists themselves. The Constitution is a yang document with yin aspects - the Bill of Rights. Amendments made in the spirit of the Constitution allows expansion but restrict anything that would impose itself on the Freedom for other citizens. There lies the difference - the ones who oppose the expansion of government are actually opposing the loss of Freedom - which also has a back. A big one. The mind that isn't concerned with fighting for Freedom is free to build and grow in ways the expanded government can't even conceive.

You expand Freedom or you expand government. You can't have both.

By Gum, I am getting the hang of this thing!
I am reading this book. I love it. She talks about the journey as if she's right there with you. I like that there's the philosophical side and food side to yin and yang. She's very realistic and doesn't assume that in 24 hours you go from hamburgers and fries to brown rice and veggies without any cravings.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #62
ojai22

EDEN FOODS

Ancient Grains Rediscovered

Whole grain has been a core component of human sustenance for well over 10,000 years. Some advanced cultures of the world have revered a particular grain so much that they deemed it sacred and made it a civilizing fundamental and a daily food staple. Most of these grains have endured and remain a primary source of nourishment for a majority of the world's people.

However, over the past 125 years with the industrialization of food, a focus on longer and longer shelf lives for grain foods like flour, huge scale milling machines and the centralization of grain milling, most folks have been led to replace vital whole grain with denatured empty grain carbs in the form of wonder bread, white rice, refined white flour, and 'polished' instant grains. These deleterious food preparation practices have been eroding human health and the well-being of our civilizations slowly but surely. This milling 'refining' removes all of the germ and bran, and almost all of the beneficial fiber, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and important phytonutrient antioxidants.

Today, the essential importance and benefits of ancient grains are getting renewed appreciation as society rediscovers the joys of whole grains like EDEN buckwheat, millet, quinoa, and wild rice. In addition to their superior protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, whole grain helps the body burn 25% more calories per day. Whole grains satisfy hunger longer and most thoroughly. The USDA's Food Pyramid suggests three serving of whole grain per day. The Dietary Guidelines say, "Shift food intake patterns to a more plant-based diet that emphasizes vegetables, cooked dry beans and peas, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds." Even the FDA recognizes (guardedly) whole grain - "Diets rich in whole grain food and other plant foods, low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers."

Cream-of-the-Crop

Every EDEN whole grain is cream-of-the-crop and we maintain the integrity of all its nutritional components from its three main parts - endosperm, germ, and bran.

EDEN Buckwheat - is North Dakota family organically grown. Buckwheat is not related to wheat and is Gluten Free. Hulled buckwheat or buckwheat groats are a quick cooking whole grain, ready in just 20 minutes. Enjoy it as an entrée, as is or in porridge, in soups and stews, salad, stuffed cabbage, grain burgers, and more. It is mild, light, and energizing, high in fiber, thiamin B1, and magnesium, and a good source of protein and niacin B3. It has long been known to keep us warm during cold weather.

EDEN Millet - is U.S.A. family organically grown yellow millet. Mildly sweet, light and fluffy, it cooks in just 30 minutes. Millet is extremely versatile whole grain. Use it for an entrée, in soups, stews, stuffing, grain burgers, as or in porridge, and add it to bread dough, pancake and waffle batter. Millet combines with cauliflower to make awesome 'millet mashed potatoes'. It is a good source of fiber, thiamin B1, magnesium, and a complete protein source containing all essential amino acids. Many folks dry pan, slow roast millet to change its surface yin and make it taste better.

EDEN Red and White Quinoa - are two ancient grains, family organically grown at over 12,000 feet on the Andean plateau. Quinoa is more versatile than brown rice, much quicker cooking and more nourishing. It has the best amino acid profile of all whole grain and provides complete protein that cooks up in just 12 minutes. Women’s Health 2009, Grocery Headquarters 2009, and Vegetarian Times 2010 award winners. It is an entrée, and great in soups, stews, salads, stir-fries, baked goods, and desserts.

EDEN Wild Rice -Authentic, it is hand harvested by Native Americans in canoes as required by law. Traditional wood fire parching gives the wild rice its delicious, mild nutty flavor. It cooks up light and fluffy in just 30 minutes and is very delicious, unlike tough, hard to chew paddy grown black varieties that can take up to an hour to cook and still be very hard. Vegetarian Times 2009 'Best Go-To Grain.' Versatile as can be, wonderfully nourishing and tasty wild rice is delicious as an entrée, or in soups, stews, salads, stuffing, and stir-fries. It is a good source of fiber, protein, niacin B3, magnesium, and zinc.

Purifying, Strengthening, Satisfying

EDEN buckwheat, millet, red and white quinoa, and wild rice are 100% whole grain and Gluten Free. They are most appropriate nourishment and guaranteed to please. They purify, strengthen, and deliver long-lasting beneficial satisfaction to those who include them in their diet. Each is packed in a reclosable, protective, standing pouches. pareve.

https://www.edenfoods.com/