LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Fan Projects

Fan Projects For fan artwork, drawings, fan fiction ( general fic only please ), cover art and anything else your creative brains can come up with with regards to the BSG Universe.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default A Fun Survey about Starbuck's Future

I thought we could have a bit of fun planning Starbuck's future. Some of you write fan fiction. Feel free to use your writing to answer these questions.

1. If Starbuck got married, who would he marry?

2. How would he propose?

3. Describe your impression of how the sealing ceremony would take place.

4. How many children would they have? # of boys? # of girls?

5. What names would you recommend?

6. Would he wear a ring? Any particular design?

7. What kind of father would Starbuck have been?

"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: A Fun Survey about Starbuck's Future

I've already had a lot of time to think about some of these questions (for a while I wanted to do a sequel to RoS2, before the whole story changed and I realized just finishing RoS2 would take a miracle), so I want to wait and hear some other people's ideas before sharing mine.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I thought we could have a bit of fun planning Starbuck's future. Some of you write fan fiction. Feel free to use your writing to answer these questions.

2. How would he propose?

1. Cassiopeia
2. In one of those private rooms they could rent at the Rising Star I think it was and with lots of Ambrosia to built up the courage to ask her
3. The whole fleet would be present and it would be very romantic. I also think Starbuck would be a very nervous groom and Cassie would make a beautiful bride. They would also have a big party afterwards.
4. I'd go with two: one of each
5. I have thought long and hard about this one but I can't really come up with any good names for their kids ...
6. Yes, he would wear a ring. How do I imagine the design of the rings would be? Both rings can be attached together to make one as to indicate that one is part of the other's life forever
7. I think he would be a very caring dad and one that would be very involved in raising his kids. He would play games with them and teach them all kinds of stuff like flying a viper, playing card games, ...
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post

There's this fan fiction story that I absolutely love. Starbuck meets a young female viper pilot and they fall in love. Starbuck and Cassiopia broke up because Starbuck wants to get sealed and she wants to concentrate on her career.

2. How would he propose?

On the Rising Star after a romantic evening of a candlelight dinner, the finest ambrosia, dancing, etc...

I think it would be planned very quickly. Adama would officiate. Apollo and Boomer argue over who's the best man. Starbuck would rush through the ceremony, paraphrasing the traditional vows.

I say 3. 2 boys; 1 girl. They are all rambunctious and he teaches all of them how to play cards and lets them sit on his lap in the viper simulator.

For the boys, Zachary and Mikhail. For the girl, Seraphina.

Yes, a simple gold band. No particular design.

I think Starbuck would've been a devoted father, especially having grown up an orphan. I can see him covering for the kids when they get in trouble, but always teaching them to be there for each other.

"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
InACupFool

It's a tad unoriginal but Cassiopeia, of course!

2. How would he propose?
It'd be spur of the moment, blurted out without thinking or planning. One of those moments where he's caught off guard by someone caring about him as much as Cass does.

He's a viper pilot - it would be a big, splashy affair with the whole gang and then some. Adama would preside, Apollo as best man.

One girl and then they can't have any more children. Cassiopeia regrets Starbuck didn't get to have any sons, who'd turn out just like him. haha

Phaenna (it means shining)

Off duty. It'd probably be stamped with a cubit or a pyramid. Just kidding. He wouldn't care much and would leave that to Cass.

Reluctant at first and then overprotective, in awe of being a father. He'd be very involved, having been an orphan himself but he'd spend a LOT of time cursing his single days as he watches his gorgeous daughter become the object of desire of all of the young men in the fleet. Phaenna would have no interest though. Her singular focus would be on improving conditions within the fleet and honing their technology to locate Earth. She'd be a humanitarian and a leader like Uncle Apollo. lol

Wow, that was more detailed than I thought it'd be. Fun question!
InACupFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I really enjoyed reading all of these answers. Maybe I'll refer to some of them as I write? You'll get royalties, of course.

Cassiopeia. Although I could maybe see him finding another woman who could keep up with him, it certainly wouldn't be Athena. I feel like most of the people who prefer Athena are men who like Maren Jensen's sex appeal - but that's just my opinion. If you disagree, I am not offended and hope I haven't offended you.

2. How would he propose?

Either he would plan it all out, and none of it would go according to plan, or it would be completely spontaneous. He would definitely spend some time afterwards wondering what-have-I-done and would probably need some encouragement to go through with it from his guy friends/mentors.

Not entirely sure, but it would also not go according to plan. And that would disconcert everybody else except for Starbuck and Cassiopeia, who would find it rather funny.

Four - boy, girl, girl, boy.

If you've been reading my fanfic, you may know about Sidus. It's Latin for constellation or star (even though I said it meant "child of the stars," but if Cassiopeia means "fairy queen," I think I'm entitled to some poetic license). Sidus would be adventurous and fun-loving like Starbuck but a little more intellectual than him. Second child Raella would take after Cassiopeia and be interested in medicine or something similar. Third child Ariadne would be very tomboyish and take Sheba as her model. Fourth child Korone would be the quiet child who makes everyone question whether he'll make it, but then he'd come out with a hidden talent that surprises everybody.

Do Colonists wear wedding rings? I'm going to leave that speculation up to you guys since you already have some nice ideas.

He would love spending time with his kids when he was off duty. He'd be the one teaching them to gamble and giving them lots of leeway because he was pretty self-sufficient as a kid, but of course Cassiopeia would try to maintain a little more discipline and draw the line - a source of some disagreements between them. The main thing that would make him angry would be when his kids directly disobeyed him or Cassiopeia, at which point he would come up with a punishment, but forgive them quickly afterwards and apologize if he was too hard on them. He would take them all on "field trips" and adventures around the Fleet whenever he had the chance.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 09-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
I really enjoyed reading all of these answers. Maybe I'll refer to some of them as I write? You'll get royalties, of course.

Cassiopeia. Although I could maybe see him finding another woman who could keep up with him, it certainly wouldn't be Athena. I feel like most of the people who prefer Athena are men who like Maren Jensen's sex appeal - but that's just my opinion. If you disagree, I am not offended and hope I haven't offended you.

2. How would he propose?

Either he would plan it all out, and none of it would go according to plan, or it would be completely spontaneous. He would definitely spend some time afterwards wondering what-have-I-done and would probably need some encouragement to go through with it from his guy friends/mentors.

Not entirely sure, but it would also not go according to plan. And that would disconcert everybody else except for Starbuck and Cassiopeia, who would find it rather funny.

Four - boy, girl, girl, boy.

If you've been reading my fanfic, you may know about Sidus. It's Latin for constellation or star (even though I said it meant "child of the stars," but if Cassiopeia means "fairy queen," I think I'm entitled to some poetic license). Sidus would be adventurous and fun-loving like Starbuck but a little more intellectual than him. Second child Raella would take after Cassiopeia and be interested in medicine or something similar. Third child Ariadne would be very tomboyish and take Sheba as her model. Fourth child Korone would be the quiet child who makes everyone question whether he'll make it, but then he'd come out with a hidden talent that surprises everybody.

Do Colonists wear wedding rings? I'm going to leave that speculation up to you guys since you already have some nice ideas.

He would love spending time with his kids when he was off duty. He'd be the one teaching them to gamble and giving them lots of leeway because he was pretty self-sufficient as a kid, but of course Cassiopeia would try to maintain a little more discipline and draw the line - a source of some disagreements between them. The main thing that would make him angry would be when his kids directly disobeyed him or Cassiopeia, at which point he would come up with a punishment, but forgive them quickly afterwards and apologize if he was too hard on them. He would take them all on "field trips" and adventures around the Fleet whenever he had the chance.
So, does this mean we will see Starbuck and Cassiopia'so adventures with pregnancies and kids in ROS II?

I like the children'should names, btw. Very fitting.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

That was originally supposed to be in the sequel, before I revised the entire plot. Now, there's no telling what will happen before the end. I have a basic plan, but everything is subject to change - well, almost everything. Pretty sure there will be no appearances from Will Riker or Boba Fett.

Thanks! That's encouraging. Not always easy for me to tell if the names work, since they come from random ideas and internet searches.
- Brian Greene
Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Cassiebsg

Uhm... now I've pondered long and hard about this questions... and I keep returning to "I don't think he would get sealed."
Not because he wouldn't ask if/when Cassie got pregnant, but he's a free spirit and Cassie knew that. She understood exactly who he was in the episode of The Long Patrol when she realizes that he had just been with her and Athena at the same time. And that was amusing to her (very unlikely to Athena who was furious).
That little 5 second scene was when I knew those two were meant for each other. Because she knew that the way to keep a guy like Starbuck meant that she had to let him go and be him self. And her past and way of being meant that being sealed wasn't her main goal in life. That wasn't important, being together and loving each other was enough for her. Let him flirt all he wants, she'll always be there... but she would "re-pay" him in the same coin.

In my fanfic I made them adopt a kid Starbuck found in a planet he crashed on (yes, on one of those "crash of the week" episodes ). But they never got sealed, nor did I gave them children of their own. (but maybe I never got past of early s2 in my fanfic anyway LOL ).
If/when she got pregnant I could see two options... the leave to work on another ship and raise the kid by her self, to try and protect Starbuck from "himself"... (kind of like what they did in TMW9L) or deciding to raise the kid(s) together but still un-sealed. I don't think Cassiopeia needed to claim him for her self with a ceremony that probably meant nothing (or very little) to her, her upbringing and her life.

As for how he would be as a father... I agree with what has already been said.