LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Survey: A Day With a Fictional Character

We've had some discussions similar to this idea, but I ran across a picture on my computer with this question, and I thought it could generate some new and interesting, or at least entertaining, conversations.

"If you could spend the day with a fictional character, who would you choose?"

Parameters for answering this question:

1. This can be a character that Dirk has played OR another character in a show/movie that Dirk was in.

2. To make this different than other threads, answer the question as if you have a non-romantic relationship with this character. Platonic friendships are good, yo.

3. Describe the setting: would this character be entering your world and daily life, or would you be entering his? Or would you meet up somewhere entirely new to both of you? Feel free to imagine more than one scenario if you want to.

4. Share why this day would be awesome. Would it be because of the character's personality, or the adventures you would have together? How would you decide what you both would do? Would you draw each other out of your comfort zone? How would the day begin? How would it end? Would you talk or write at all afterwards, or would you part ways with nothing but good memories at the end of the day? You can answer any, all, or none of these questions.

Take it away, y'all.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Re: Survey: A Day With a Fictional Character

I love a challenge, but this proves to be harder than I imagined
So I'll need some more time to come up with something.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I love a challenge, but this proves to be harder than I imagined
So I'll need some more time to come up with something.
If I gave you a week with a different character each day, would that make it easier or harder?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 10-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
If I gave you a week with a different character each day, would that make it easier or harder?
Nice !!! I really like this challenge. A lot. Not sure if it would make things easier or harder ... but I'm so willing to try this
Let's do this
Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Nice !!! I really like this challenge. A lot. Not sure if it would make things easier or harder ... but I'm so willing to try this
Let's do this
Okay, so this was originally meant as a joke to see what kind of reaction I could get from LMD's crazy side, but obviously, LMD, your reaction was even better than anticipated. Due to the collective enthusiasm, I think we should officially open up this new challenge.

So...

7 days.

7 characters.

7 non-romantic stories to tell.

In the words of my dear friend and colleague Mr. Holmes, "The game is afoot."
- Brian Greene

Last edited by Ludlum'sDaughter14; 10-23-2017 at 07:33 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Here's a non-exhaustive list of credits if you need ideas. Remember, this character could be *anyone* from a movie or show that Dirk has been in, not just the character he himself played. And you can pick multiple characters from the same movie/show if you so desire, especially since you won't be, ahem, getting close to them.

Georgia, Georgia
Sssssss
Chopper One
W
Battlestar Galactica
Scavenger Hunt
Ruckus
The Georgia Peaches
Underground Aces
Mark of the Devil
Body Slam
The A-Team
Trenchcoat in Paradise
Blue Tornado
Official Denial
The Feminine Touch
Alaska
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Goldene Zeiten
Earthstorm
Recon 7 Down
- Brian Greene
Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Upon further review, I'm game, too.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Quote:

One week, yes
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
Flygirl
Erin

I have to go with Murdock on this one... big surprise, huh?!

So, we'd spend the day flying to different tiny airports in little po-dunk (is that how you spell that?) towns and we'd cause all sorts of shenanigans together.

I have to write more later. I can see this being a long story.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

You guys are really enjoying keeping me in suspense, huh? I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with. And a day with Murdock sounds like a winner anytime.
- Brian Greene
Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
We've had some discussions similar to this idea, but I ran across a picture on my computer with this question, and I thought it could generate some new and interesting, or at least entertaining, conversations.

"If you could spend the day with a fictional character, who would you choose?"

Parameters for answering this question:

1. This can be a character that Dirk has played OR another character in a show/movie that Dirk was in.

2. To make this different than other threads, answer the question as if you have a non-romantic relationship with this character. Platonic friendships are good, yo.

3. Describe the setting: would this character be entering your world and daily life, or would you be entering his? Or would you meet up somewhere entirely new to both of you? Feel free to imagine more than one scenario if you want to.

4. Share why this day would be awesome. Would it be because of the character's personality, or the adventures you would have together? How would you decide what you both would do? Would you draw each other out of your comfort zone? How would the day begin? How would it end? Would you talk or write at all afterwards, or would you part ways with nothing but good memories at the end of the day? You can answer any, all, or none of these questions.

Take it away, y'all.
1. I have some ideas, but i'll come back to this one...

2. Before I answer this, I have to say that I see some Bahston in your writing...

3. The character would be entering my world.

4. Any or none of these. Ok. The day would begin with the sun rising in the east. We would meet, complete our project, and finish the day on the deck with the sun setting in the west. All the other stuff would depend on our moods.

"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post

2. Before I answer this, I have to say that I see some Bahston in your writing...

4. Any or none of these. Ok. The day would begin with the sun rising in the east. We would meet, complete our project, and finish the day on the deck with the sun setting in the west. All the other stuff would depend on our moods.

You're just taunting me now.
- Brian Greene
Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
You're just taunting me now.
Not intentionally. A bonus.

This is my second time answering the question.....the internet just doesn't like me.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Vballspieler
Dirkette

UPDATED:

I would have to say a character like Jake appeals to me. I believe he is the same personality type, but not sure if that is good or bad.

Friendships are very important. Romantic or non-romantic - you should at least be friendly to each other.

As I am most comfortable at work and am there quite often, this would be the connection. I chose a profession that I love and am good at.

As I am an introvert and love kids, my most pleasant adventures would be simple ones. An outing together, playing games, helping with homework, domestic chores....all can be fun and relaxing. Winding down the day with a drink and watching the sunset seems just about perfect to me. Calm, peaceful, and relaxing.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
UPDATED:

I would have to say a character like Jake appeals to me. I believe he is the same personality type, but not sure if that is good or bad.

Friendships are very important. Romantic or non-romantic - you should at least be friendly to each other.

As I am most comfortable at work and am there quite often, this would be the connection. I chose a profession that I love and am good at.

As I am an introvert and love kids, my most pleasant adventures would be simple ones. An outing together, playing games, helping with homework, domestic chores....all can be fun and relaxing. Winding down the day with a drink and watching the sunset seems just about perfect to me. Calm, peaceful, and relaxing.

Finally, a straight answer.

I can see a day with Jake being a very pleasant one. If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you're envisioning maybe working on a house project or financial paperwork together and then spending time hanging out afterwards. And preteen kids are just getting to the age when you can hold more involved conversations and do really fun activities with them, outside or inside.

I think having the same personality type would be an asset in your friendship - this semester I've been getting to know a couple classmates who are the same type as I am, and we all get along really well and have great conversations. Usually people of the same type who are both mature thinkers will understand each other better because of the similarities, but they will also appreciate the different experiences and approaches to life that make the other person unique. So I think you and Jake would have a good time together. And a relaxing (non-romantic ) sunset on the deck sounds like the perfect end to the day.
- Brian Greene
Old 10-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
LittleMonkeyDog

Okay. Ready. Set. Here we go.

Day 1 - character 1:
My fictional character = Lieutenant Starbuck of Blue Squadron
My friends and I were all Cadets at the Flight Academy on board of the Galactica. We had studied very hard for the past couple of years and had all made the choice to become Viper pilots. We were extra motivated to start this week, since we would get training from the very best pilots on board of the fleet. They were all part of Blue Squadron and off course we all knew who they were: Captain Apollo, Lieutenant Boomer and Lieutenant Starbuck.
We started our training with some theoretical sessions from the three pilots. While my friends couldn’t stop swooning over their good looks, I kept focusing on what they were actually trying to teach us. They were all very experienced pilots and I was eager to learn from the very best. So I listened intently and asked as much questions as I possibly could.
After the theoretical part of the day, there was a small break. My friends were still busy talking about the guys and giggling like school girls. I started to feel the odd one out and started to wonder why my friends wanted to become pilots in the first place. Were they just looking for excuses to get close to these guys? Was I the only one who really wanted to learn how to fly and was stoked to be taught by the best pilots of the entire fleet?
“Are you already daydreaming about what it’s like to fly a Viper?”
I was startled and didn’t realize I had indeed been daydreaming. My giggling friends had all left me standing in the middle of the room to get something to drink and I hadn’t noticed that Starbuck came up to talk to me. I turned a shade of red and felt completely embarrassed.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” he said. “I didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable. I just wanted to tell you that I admire your dedication to become a pilot. You’ve been very focused before and asked just the right questions. You kind of reminded me of myself when I was about your age.”
Somehow I started to relax as he talked to me and I told him just how badly I really wanted to become a pilot. We had a very nice talk, but I could see my friends getting slightly jealous that I was talking to Starbuck. I had heard all about his flirty reputation before, but I also knew he was dating Cassiopeia, one of our medtechs. I always thought they looked very cute together as a couple and so I wasn’t about to start flirting with Starbuck. Instead, I found it very nice to be able to just talk to him about flying. We ended up talking all through the break.
The second part of our training was virtually learning how to fly by using a computer program. Basically we had to use the knowledge we just learned that very morning. Since my friends had been doing nothing but pay attention, they ended up failing their first flying tests while I succeeded.
“You’re acing these tests,” Starbuck said. “I was right from the start. You are truly meant to become a pilot. Apollo and Boomer both agree with me. You’ll go far. You might even make it to Blue Squadron very soon.”
I thanked him for the lovely compliment and said I would be eager to learn how to fly from the very best. He mentioned that I would be rewarded for my hard work and said he would be honored to teach me some more flying techniques.
By the afternoon, we were divided into small groups. Some groups got more theory at first and my friends were all send to that group. Some groups were doing more virtual training, but I was allowed to really fly my very first time in a Viper. Only three students were allowed to do this and we all got our personal instructor. My instructor was Starbuck and so I got to spend a fantastic afternoon learning all sorts of techniques and tricks from him. I was super excited to be able to fly by myself while he shared his experience as a pilot with me. This was by far the best part of my training. As we finally headed back to the Galactica, I was dead tired but very grateful. We became great friends ever since that day and Starbuck has been guiding me as a pilot ever since.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Love it, LMD! A detailed story with realistic interactions that lead to a good friendship by the end. Starbuck would be my first choice too. Very nice
- Brian Greene
Old 10-27-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Love it, LMD! A detailed story with realistic interactions that lead to a good friendship by the end. Starbuck would be my first choice too. Very nice
Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #19
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Day 1: Character 1: Kyle Hanson.

As the sun was rising in the east, I woke up in my bed and got dressed for my job at the office. It was to be a normal day. Normal accounting tasks to keep me busy. On my way to lunch, I bumped into a guy walking to the nearest diner. It turns out his name was Kyle.
As we were waiting in line to be seated at the diner, I asked him what brought him into town. He was really quiet and responded with a shrug. The hostess came over to us and said that she only had one table available and asked if we would mind sharing. Seeing no objections from either of us, she led us over to the table to have lunch together. This was beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Here’s one of our adventures together…

One weekend, we decided to go camping. As Kyle preferred the outdoors, it seemed the most sensible solution. We started the weekend by cooking fish over the campfire and drinking a beer. We sat in silence, enjoying the sounds of nature. As the sun was setting and the temperature began to cool off, we decided to settle in our sleeping bags and get some sleep.
The next morning, we rose to a clear blue sky and warming temps. We decided to have some oatmeal for breakfast and then go on an adventure hiking through the woods. As we were about half-way down the trail, we ran into a family who was also camping. The young girl ran over to her father and hid behind his legs. She peeked out at Kyle while her father was explaining about losing their fishing poles in the river. Kyle walked over to a tree, pulled out his knife, and fashioned a spear. Then he went to the river to go fishing. The father joined him and together they spear-headed two fish. The mother and I cleaned the fish for supper and cooked them over their campfire. The three of them were very hungry and devoured the fish.
When we were cleaning up, I noticed some marshmallows and asked the young girl if she had ever toasted a marshmallow before. She shook her head no. I found two forks with the kitchen utensils and brought them over to the fire along with the bag of marshmallows. I showed the young girl how to put a marshmallow on the fork and hold it just right over the fire to get the marshmallow nice and gooey, and just a bit toasted. She pulled the marshmallow off and put it in her mouth. Her cheeks puffed out like a chipmunk and she giggled as she ate the marshmallow.
Once the marshmallow was gone, she walked over to Kyle and asked him to tell her a story. He looked at her for a couple of minutes and then finally nodded his head. She climbed up on his lap and laid her head on his chest. He looked uncomfortable for a moment, and then began to rub her back in a soothing motion.
He said that a couple of years ago he met the A-team while he was in a town in South Dakota. They helped him out of a jam. He asked the young girl if she had ever heard of the A-team. She said, “yes, Murdock is my favorite. He’s so goofy.” As Kyle told her more details from his encounter, her eyes drifted close. Soon she was fast asleep. He carried her over to the family’s tent and laid her inside. Then he came back to the fire and joined the rest of the adults who were having a drink. After finishing the drink, we hiked back to our campsite. It was a relief to finally be able to lay down and relax as we both drifted off to sleep.
The next day, Kyle woke up at the crack of dawn. He packed up some of our supplies and waited for me to awaken. Then we hiked back over to the other family to share our stuff. The young girl was sitting next to her mother. She smiled and waved at Kyle when she saw him walking towards her. Since it was almost noon, we prepared a feast with the combination of supplies. There was lots of laughter as we ate and got to know each other better. In the early afternoon, Kyle said we needed to get going and plucked a dandelion from the ground to give to the young girl. He gave her a hug as he said goodbye and we headed back to our campsite. It was time to pack up and head to our individual homes. It was a great weekend. I couldn’t believe it was over already!

Last edited by Vballspieler; 10-26-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Awesome, VBS! I know you say you're not a writer, but this is really good. Kyle is strong and silent with a soft side, and you portrayed that well. I'm jealous that you got to go camping with him.
- Brian Greene
Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #21
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Awesome, VBS! I know you say you're not a writer, but this is really good. Kyle is strong and silent with a soft side, and you portrayed that well. I'm jealous that you got to go camping with him.
She (VBS) does say that, but I have to disagree. I love this story! So heart warming. Can't wait to read her second one.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #22
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Day 2 – Story 2: Inspired by Starbuck

Once upon a time, there were two people who walked into the accounting office aboard the Battlestar Galactica. Only a few privileged people knew exactly where the office was. It was kept confidential for safety reasons. They were discussing the situation their best friend had gotten himself into.
Apollo walked over to my desk and said “Hi. I was hoping you could do us a favor. Starbuck is being held for non-payment of his debts by the owner of the chancery on the Rising Star.” I replied, “I heard, Apollo, but I don’t know what you expect me to do about it. You know that Starbuck likes to gamble.” Cassiopeia looked at Apollo, then at me, and said “We know. He’s Starbuck. But we just can’t leave him there! Can’t we work something out?” I thought about it for a few moments and then said, “give me two hours and then I will meet you at the shuttle launch. I have an idea that might work.” Cassiopeia smiled and said, “I knew coming here was a good idea.” Apollo agreed and walked out of my office with Cassiopeia.
With a short time to prepare everything, I commed the bridge and asked if I could have an audience with Commander Adama. He agreed that we would meet in his chambers in one centar. I got busy preparing the documents I would need for my meeting. I turned to my computer and began typing.
Fifty centons later, I was on my way to Commander Adama’s quarters. I had a folder with all of my documents. I knocked on his door and was granted access. Adama looked at me and said, “I hear we have a situation. What has Starbuck done and how do you propose to solve his dilemma?” I laid out my paperwork and explained my idea. He agreed and signed where I indicated on one of the forms. Then he looked at me and commented, “I hope the owner of the chancery on the Rising Star has agreed to this plan.” I grinned and said “he will. I’m sure of it.” I looked at my watch and excused myself from Adama’s quarters. It was time to meet Apollo and Cassie for the shuttle.
When I got to the launch area, sure enough, there was Apollo pacing. Cassie was sitting quietly on the bench, encouraging Apollo to calm down. “Starbuck’s been in worse situations. You’re his friend. You watched him get himself into impossible situations. He always survives. Why should this time be any different?”
I walked through the doorway and greeted them, “Is our shuttle on time?” “Yes,” said Apollo, “the next shuttle to the Rising Star is on time. It will be here any centon.” He was right. The shuttle docked, and we were free to board within five centons. We got clearance to launch, so we buckled up and enjoyed our trip over to the Rising Star. Apollo looked at me and asked if I could share the details of my plan. “Soon,” I said. “Really soon.”
Once we docked at the Rising Star, all three of us got off. We made our way to the bar. “Wait here,” I instructed. “I’ll be back in a centon.” Apollo and Cassiopeia looked at each other and sat down at the bar. “We might as well enjoy a drink,” Cassie said. “This could take a while.”
Some time passed before I returned. I was successful. The owner had agreed to my plan. Now to get Starbuck on board. “Ok. All set here. Off to the prison barge we go,” I remarked as I walked up to them.
Once we boarded the next shuttle, Cassiopeia sat next to me and insisted I tell her my plan. “Don’t worry, Cassiopeia. This won’t hurt him… much.”
Starbuck looked up from his bunk when the Apollo and Cassiopeia walked in. “Hi, guys. Just hanging around. How about you?” Cassie sighed and said “Starbuck. You could at least sound like you care about missing your patrol.” “Oh, I do. I really do care.” Starbuck replied. “Hi, Apollo. Miss me?” he said with a mischievous grin. “I know Boomer loved the extra duty while I was slaving away here.” Apollo glared at him. “We brought someone to help you,” Apollo said as he and Cassie parted. “Guten Tag,” I said to Starbuck. “It’s good to finally meet you.” He stared at me for a centon and then asked, “how can you help me?”
“Well”, I said, “you have a problem and I have a solution.” I looked at Cassiopeia and Apollo and asked them to give us a minute. They left the room, closing the door behind them. Starbuck walked over the door and gave me a quizzical look, “Yeah, watcha got?”
“It’s this simple, Starbuck. I have an agreement to garnish part of your wages to pay off your debt to the Chancery. Every time you get paid, part of your wages will go to the owner. All you have to do is sign some paperwork.” I handed him the pen and a stack of papers. “if you don’t understand any of them, just let me know.”
Starbuck took the pen and glanced through the paperwork. He looked at me. “Are you sure you have enough? The manual for my Viper is thinner.” He read through the first few papers. As he was signing the promissory note, he remarked, “I feel like I’m signing my life away.” Once he was done, he handed the paperwork and the pen back to me and said “thanks. I was getting a little restless in here. It’s just not like flying my viper.” I nodded and summoned a guard. I told him, “I have the signed agreement in my hands. I will fax a copy over to the accountant on the Rising Star and then Starbuck should be free to go.” I looked at Starbuck and said, “I’ll be right back.”
I faxed over the copy and nodded to the guard. He opened the door and Starbuck walked through. Cassie ran over to him for a hug and Apollo gripped his shoulder. As they were embracing, I snuck out the door.
The next day, Starbuck walked in to my office carrying a bouquet of flowers. He handed them to me and said, “you left before I could properly thank you yesterday.” I accepted the flowers and said “you were busy with your friends. Next time you run into trouble, you might ask for help before you end up back in the brig.” He smiled and said, “does that include you, too?” I smiled back and said “yes, of course.”
And that was the beginning of a life-long friendship……
Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #23
LittleMonkeyDog

Wow, VBS. You're really good at this !!! What a great idea. Once again I loved it.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #24
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Thoroughly enjoyed this story, VBS! For a non-writer you look suspiciously like a writer in disguise. Starbuck would be lucky to have your accounting skills on his side.
- Brian Greene
Old 10-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Thoroughly enjoyed this story, VBS! For a non-writer you look suspiciously like a writer in disguise.
Yes, she sure does.