LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Register FAQ Dirk's Blog All Blogs Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Michael Mercy

Default Confessions of a Kamizake Cowboy review

Hi folks! Long-time fan of Mr. Benedict, I just finished reading his first book and greatly enjoyed it! Here's a video review I recently did for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIWpT5dHOg
Michael Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
flyngirl5
Desert Dirkette

Default Re: Confessions of a Kamizake Cowboy review

Hi Michael! Welcome to the forum.

I just watched your review and I really loved it. Dirk's book had a profound impact on me - I'm one of the groups of people you described in your review - specifically, the people who don't know anything about nutrition to start with, but go in with an open mind, love a challenge and want to see if they can do something positive for their bodies and themselves. The book triggered me to make positive changes in my diet and my life, which I'm still doing today. I'm just getting my feet wet in macrobiotics but I am learning a lot from the wonderful folks on this forum who are all at various stages of the journey, and are open and eager to share their experiences.

I really appreciate Dirk's writing style and the brutal honesty in his writing, too. You have a nice style and you're an eloquent speaker. Terrific review! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
flyngirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Welcome to Dirk's Works, Michael! And thanks for sharing this with us. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but I will.

Glad to know you liked Confessions - it's kind of an important book around here - and I hope you'll have a chance to chime in on some of our other conversations.

Perhaps we could also have a discussion about 1978's Battlestar Galactica, and how its story was rather predictive of another, more recent short-lived science fiction TV show... *sniff*

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
ojai22

Michael, first of all Welcome to DBC. And thank you for the most wonderful, erudite, articulate review of CKC that I've ever heard or read. Dirk is truly one of a kind, because he is so much himself. Most people follow trends, or their peers, or whatever the cat dragged in last, but he goes his own way. Always. Your review was so outstanding I couldn't look away! So thoughtful and understanding. And you seem to see what I saw when I read the book, well the times I read the book. Because each time you read it, you'll find something new, or you'll see something in a different light. It's worth reading over and over.

People knock him because he scares them. The huddled masses huddle together, an individual scares hell out of them.

Imagine having cancer and going off into the woods to cure yourself. Takes more than courage to do such a thing.

I was not a fan of Dirk's when he was in Battlestar Galactica, and I didn't watch the A-Team during it's first run on TV. Finally I read the book and I became his biggest fan. I've been on my own journey for sometime so it was great to learn of his.

I loved your review; it was so totally awesome; I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
ojai22

Michael, We have some of Dirk's other writings here. I'll post a couple of links in case you haven't read them:

And It's All Mickey Mouse's Fault

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...ead.php?t=1205

Kamikaze Cowboy ll

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...ead.php?t=1202

LOST IN CASTRATION

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/h...icle.php?nid=5

Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. I've just watched your review and it was awesome. I do share your opinion about the book and the man himself. Like Flyngirl explained, this book had a profound impact on my life which started when I first read the book. I have always been interested in health and healthy food in general and was eager to read all there is to learn more about this. And off course I 'knew' Dirk from his TV appearance as Face/Starbuck. But I've learned there is so much more to this man by reading CKC or ATWWF. I love his writing style and to me - as an aspiring writer - he is a big example. The book is the perfect combination of brutal honesty mixed with humor and lots of intelligence. After reading his books, I think I became an even bigger fan !!! Like Ojai, I've read his books multiple times and I still learn new things or look at things in a different perspective. I really want to thank you for sharing this interview with all of us at DBC and I do hope we'll hear some more from you as a member
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Michael Mercy

Thanks for all the amazing responses, folks! Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting that. I suppose I've just become too used to the typical response of hurt feelings and hostility when someone hears that all of their problems are their own doing, and they have the power to change their situation, their condition, and the way they feel. Thanks for the links to the additional writings of Mr. Benedict, I look forward to reading those as well as "And Then We Went Fishing."
Michael Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Loved your review, Micheal. Well done. I relate to a lot of the sentiment of the book, so much of the emotional myself. My thinking, I feel, is similar to Mr. Benedict's. Thank you for such a thorough and well thought out review. You really did the book, and Dirk Benedict, justice.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Ludlum'sDaughter14
The Littlest Dirkette

I realize I'm late to the party, but I didn't want to comment until I had a chance to finish watching your review. Really enjoyed your evaluations of the book and Dirk - I think they're spot-on. You're right, there's no great "secret" to changing your life aside from hard work and perseverance, both of which are undervalued in our culture today. And we must take responsibility for ourselves and our own choices if we want to grow. Expecting the government, the medical establishment, the food industry, etc. to keep our best interests at heart is naive and irresponsible. The section you read aloud is a good one too; we have no idea of all the reasons behind our choices and all of their outcomes until after the fact, but if we're following the right path, the reasons and the outcomes will work themselves out.

At the end you discuss peoples' uninformed opinions of Dirk's view of women. You counter their accusations with examples from CKC and interviews, but I think once you read And Then We Went Fishing you will have even more ammo for your argument. Throughout the book he evidences a clear respect for women and specifically for his wife as she goes through the rigors of childbirth. Anyone who calls him a male chauvinist has obviously not read that book (or is simply determined to be offended).

Thank you for sharing your review with us! I really enjoyed it. Hope you can maybe find time to get involved in some discussions on here - we're open to talking about real issues, and most of us take responsibility for our own choices, as you can see. Either way, welcome to DBC!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Scotsgal

I am bit annoyed with myself that I haven't come across CKC sooner,but I finally read it and it continues to occupy my mind.I couldn't put the book down(and maybe I should have read it slower),but I was so fascinated and involved with every page that it was impossible.I was so captivated by his style of writing and the developments of his life that once I finished the book I couldn't help but feel a bit lost and empty.There can't be many young people with this kind of understanding,view of a humans journey and development and be grateful for even the biggest obstacles.Many would just say 'Why me?'.
It is safe to say that I went through every emotion there is as Mr Benedict experienced different struggles,feelings and enlightenment throughout his very interesting and sometimes challenging life.He has every right to be proud of this book,what he has achieved and of all the people he has had an influence on.He is an incredibly interesting man,a gifted writer and the only TV personality I would love to meet.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsgal View Post
I am bit annoyed with myself that I haven't come across CKC sooner,but I finally read it and it continues to occupy my mind.I couldn't put the book down(and maybe I should have read it slower),but I was so fascinated and involved with every page that it was impossible.I was so captivated by his style of writing and the developments of his life that once I finished the book I couldn't help but feel a bit lost and empty.There can't be many young people with this kind of understanding,view of a humans journey and development and be grateful for even the biggest obstacles.Many would just say 'Why me?'.
It is safe to say that I went through every emotion there is as Mr Benedict experienced different struggles,feelings and enlightenment throughout his very interesting and sometimes challenging life.He has every right to be proud of this book,what he has achieved and of all the people he has had an influence on.He is an incredibly interesting man,a gifted writer and the only TV personality I would love to meet.
I stumbled onto this book by accident already some time ago and I feel blessed that I did. It's a book I go back to time and again. You've expressed beautifully what it means to you and I couldn't agree more. He should indeed be very proud of his work and his achievements and I absolutely agree with you that he is an incredibly interesting man and a very gifted writer.
I can also tell you this: I recently met him and meeting him was a fantastic experience
Old 11-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Scotsgal

Thank you for comment.
I came across CKC by accident(or did I?) when I researched a healthier way of living.When the book came up and I realised who wrote it and what it was about,I had to buy it and I'm glad I did.I wasn't aware that he had written a book,never mind two.His writing style is such that it felt like he was only talking to me as the reader and when the book was finished the conversation stopped.
It is a very thought provoking book.
I admit that I'm jealous of you and many others meeting him.I wonder,if he will ever come to the UK or Europe again.Did you have conversation with him?
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #13
LittleMonkeyDog

I have often wondered about that question myself whether or not I stumbled on it by accident. Since I was a young girl, I've always been very interested in healthy ways of eating. To be honest: what got me buying them is when I found out they were written by Dirk. Curiosity. I was super happy to find he wrote this amazing book about healthy food and a healthy lifestyle. The book indeed is very thought provoking and I still feel like I'm learning more and more every time I start reading it again.
If you ever have the opportunity to meet him, you should go for it. I also hope he'll come back again. I also would like to meet him again. Oh and yes, we did have a very nice conversation twice even. I love that he takes the time to actually talk to his fans

Tags
review