View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: Published articles?

I knew there had to be a thread on "Lost in Castration" somewhere on here...

In a BSG Facebook group I belong to, someone shared Dirk's article. Most of the group members are men, so most of the comments are in agreement, but of course there's already one female comment calling "misogynist!" Since I'm a female who does NOT think this is misogyny, I felt compelled to comment with my own two cents. Somehow, in the process of writing the comment, I realized what has actually happened in the film and TV industry that has led to the drastically different treatment of both genders then and now, so I thought I would share the comments I posted on here as well:

"As a woman, I agree. What I think has happened is that the change of leadership and driving ideologies in Hollywood have reversed 180 with regards to gender. Early on, TV execs, directors, etc. were largely men, and so there was a more accurate depiction of masculinity in male characters, but greater tendency to objectify female characters. Women, of course, had a problem with objectification, but when over time the decision-makers included a lot more females or radically "feminist" males, the female characters got more attention and a realistic treatment, while the male characters ended up being objectified. Basically, the gender in power portrayed the other gender the way they wanted them to be rather than the way they are. What we need in today's media is a third approach that portrays men and women as equals, but with accurate reflection of what makes them truly masculine and feminine - beautiful and complementary differences, in my opinion. With the growing movement to abolish all concept of binary gender, however, the likelihood of media celebrating what makes us male and female, and essentially human, is slim to none.

And to clarify, when I refer to objectification by either gender, that not only includes the obvious focus on physical characteristics as gratifying, but also the desire to have the other gender's personality be more conducive to their becoming a sexual object. Men portrayed women as helpless, in need of a rescuer, and unquestioning in their admiration of everything about the man, while women have portrayed men as unintelligent, brawn without brain, unable to function in life without the superior wisdom of the woman. Either portrayal is unquestionably dehumanizing."
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote